Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Default Silversun Pickups - Circadian Rhythm

Old 09-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

not bad, better than their last set of songs, but not enough to make me legitimately interested in the album.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

god this band is so dull

Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

this song definitely is

Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I liked that "Lazy Eye" song on the Carnivus (?) album, but nothing else I've heard of theirs

Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Perhaps their best song, on the Pikul EP

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I really enjoyed this song, which was I think the B-side of Little Lover's So Polite

I did really like Carnavas at the time but everything since has done nothing for me.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Dogfighter is correct, Kissing Families is their best song.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

This is a beautiful song, I wish Nikki would sing on more tracks.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I did really like Carnavas at the time but everything since has done nothing for me.
Same here. Pikul is actually my favorite release by them. Carnavas is great, too. Swoon was just okay. Neck of the Woods was boring (I think I only listened to it once), and the lead single from their upcoming release is also boring.

Used to be one of my favorite sorta-recent bands. Well, I guess if I only take into account their early stuff, they still are, because that stuff didn't retroactively become shitty or anything.

It's funny, shortly after I made that "I don't get dem music feels much anymore" thread, I put on Pikul and as soon as the first track started I just got some real fuzzy feelz.

One of my favorite tracks:

Old 09-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Carnavas wasn't very memorable to me. I think about 75% of Swoon is really good although like someone I saw on a forum said I think it is kind of their sellout album. Very calculated and very Siamese Dreamish. Neck of the Woods seemed a lot more interesting and less concerned with being on the charts.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Carnavas is great, too. Swoon was just okay. Neck of the Woods was boring (I think I only listened to it once), and the lead single from their upcoming release is also boring.
Nailed it.

I get why people say Carnavas is like Siamese Dream but to me it has way stronger Placebo vibes than it does SP

Old 09-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I can hear some Placebo in there. The last three songs do nothing for me especially Substitution and Catch and Release. They just sound like they were written to be played on the radio. There's just no substance to them at all.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I think Carnavas sounds more like Gish

Old 09-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #15
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

I know a lot of people see a similarity between SP and Silversun Pickups, but I think the singer's voice sounds remarkably like the singer for the band "3".

Old 09-18-2015, 03:25 AM   #16
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
I think Carnavas sounds more like Gish
Naw man, Gish ROCKS. Carnavas gets loud from time to time but it never properly ROCKS.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I think any band that has shoegaze-influenced fuzz mixed with heavier elements is going to get compared to get compared to "the SP sound," even if SP is just one of their many influences and a shitton of SP music doesn't even really have the SP sound.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #18
redbreegull

circa 2007 when these guys were blowing up there were a lot of vicious arguments about if and how much they "ripped off" SP. They never sounded strikingly like SP to me, but Brian what's his name has said they are heavily influenced by them. Pikul to Carnavas do have a Gish to Siamese Dream thing going on. Some of his guitar riffs also employ very similar things to the "SP sound" like sliding octaves up and down the neck while using the low E as a drone thing. Lazy Eye does this for sure, and it's an instantly recognizable part of many SP riffs (Cherub Rock, Silverfuck, Hummer, 1979, etc.)

one time I got really drunk at a SSPU show and kept screaming "where's james iha"

Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Pikul doesn't sound anything like Gish. I thought you were going to say Carnavas to Swoon has a Gish to Siamese Dream thing going on. On Pikul they actually sound like their own thing and not like other bands.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #20
redbreegull

Pikul is a smaller, sparser, more understated record that is just as happy to drift around in a dreamy psychedelic lull than to move in any particular direction. The songs in general feel quite sincere but lack the precision and professionalism of the next record.

Carnavas is full of loud, fast, fuzzy songs with tons of energy and the band clearly has something to prove; there is a statement to made here, and it's going to be made at high volumes. The songwriting is a bit more direct and delves into the singer's past traumas (even if here it's just having a lazy eye and not getting beat up by your drug addict father who tells you that you will never be anything).

Swoon just sounds like the evolution of Carnavas to me. I don't think the departure in sound is very big. Maybe it's a bit smarter and more hip to 2009 than 2007. I never bothered with the one after that, the single was awful.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, I can see some parallels between the riffs for "Lazy Eye" and "Drown," for example.

I also don't see a huge stylistic difference between Carnavas and Swoon. Just a difference in quality. Swoon has less interesting songs and is a bit poppier, but it doesn't represent a huge shift in terms of the aesthetic or anything.

I had no idea that the vocalist has a lazy eye until I saw them live. And it was still a little while after that that I drew a connection to the song title (I am not a clever man).

Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #22
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Swoon had problems with arbitrary second-album-palette-expanding stuff. String section in The Royal We felt sandwhiched in etc. etc. Now I look back over the tracklist, I really did enjoy It's Nice To Know You Work Alone

Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
redbreegull

Swoon has some good tunes, but I think it also suffers from sounding too formulated, and too processed compared to the rawer sound of Carnavas. When the singer screams on Carnavas it's like damn emotional part of the song. When he screams on the Royal We it's like oh he's screaming.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 PM   #24
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

After hearing Bloody Mary, I got pretty curious for the third album, which ended up being by FAR my least favorite of the releases prior.

General thoughts:

1.) Saw them in Santa Ana the week before last, and the new material was sounding really good. Overturned my "ehhhhhh, maybe I'll get it" attitude towards the new one after getting slightly burned by Neck of the Woods.

2.) Kissing Families really is a killer jam. They did it for the closer and way more people knew it than I had expected.

3.) Carnavas remains my favorite. It's a solid album through, but I absolutely love the last three tracks - Dream at Tempo 119, Three Seed and Common Reactor. Common Reactor is one of my favorite album closers, period.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #25
redbreegull

yo which song is like it must be summer from the size of the bugs flying through my window. that shit was my jam back in the day

Old 09-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #26
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Old 09-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #27
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I downloaded this album back when Limewire was a thing and I didn't know about torrent clients, so I'd download an album track-by-track. The version of "Rusted Wheel" I had was an acoustic version, but I didn't know it wasn't the actual album version until I actually purchased the album and listened to the CD.

I actually preferred the acoustic to the album version. Tried to find it to post it, but the only acoustic version of the song on YouTube doesn't sound like how I remember it. It's been forever since I've listened to it, so maybe it's the exact same track and my memory is just shit.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #28
Disco King
Minion of Satan

No wait, the acoustic version I liked was a minute longer. The vocals had phrasing more similar to the record version and it was less stripped-down than this acoustic take. Sounded more like a studio-quality thing (maybe it was a B-side?) than this.

I can't find it on YouTube, so I just uploaded it to a filesharing site.

http://www.filedropper.com/silversun...w123savemp3com

Best version immo

Old 09-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
They just sound like they were written to be played on the radio. There's just no substance to them at all.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:26 AM   #30
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

correct me if i'm wrong but didnt CW used to have a deadsy avatar?