Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #91
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
At what point did Bill Cosby win the title of "good guy" anyway? Is it when he started pretending to be one on his tv show? Maybe he's always been a monster, and people are too stupid to separate his pretend tv role from his real self.
it's not the peoples fault - he gets criticized for essentially becoming dr huxtable during and even after the cosby show. he stayed with the role. essentially by default he became the elder statesman of african american comedy.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #92
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I have a friend that owns a café and bakery. In the late 90s she got a catering job supplying hors d'oeuvres and drinks backstage before and after a Cosby gig. According to her and several of my other friends that worked the gig for her Cosby was a total asshole. He freaked out about one or more of the food items tasting like "shit" and at some point grabbed my friend by the arm and said "are you the bitch responsible for this crap?"

When I heard about this soon after I remember thinking that of course he's an asshole, all he does in public is lecture people. Even before his 80s sitcom the guy made a lot of money getting paid to make appearances to spew his moralism.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #93
null123
Minion of Satan

It isn't blaming the victim to give women good advice
However we shouldn't require anyone to be perfect or to take good advice in order to see them as a victim

Old 11-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #94
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
it's not the peoples fault - he gets criticized for essentially becoming dr huxtable during and even after the cosby show. he stayed with the role. essentially by default he became the elder statesman of african american comedy.
the Dr Huxtable schtick wasn't all new at the time. It was heavily based on his earlier comic work. it fit well into what he'd been doing on stage, in terms of the content of is live performances.

The sitcom did essentially typecast him, but I don't think that the public saw him much differently than that before The Cosby show, anyway. He'd done other TV, like Fat Albert (for more than a decade), as well as a couple of other "Cosby" TV series, not to mention all those Jello commercials.

Dr Huxtable seemed at the time to be just another version of what he'd been playing on screen over and over before. Not unlike the way that people see Seinfeld or Larry David.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #95
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Terrance Makes Reservations for Bill Cosby

"drop off phony doctorate at frame shop"

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/dxve9v...for-bill-cosby

Last edited by butthurt : 11-22-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: no autoplay

Old 11-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #96
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
I never said victim should have been more careful, only that it makes sense, unfortunately, to take precautions. I don't know why teb brought it up I'm just clarifying it.
So victims shouldn't have to be more careful but it would make sense for them to take precautions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
It makes sense to take precautions against known evils i.e. it might be wise to go drinking with a group of friends if possible.
The hair splitting isn't doing it for me

Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #97
Eulogy
huh

I will grant you that walking alone can be a bad idea in some places but other than that

Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #98
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
the Dr Huxtable schtick wasn't all new at the time. It was heavily based on his earlier comic work. it fit well into what he'd been doing on stage, in terms of the content of is live performances.

The sitcom did essentially typecast him, but I don't think that the public saw him much differently than that before The Cosby show, anyway. He'd done other TV, like Fat Albert (for more than a decade), as well as a couple of other "Cosby" TV series, not to mention all those Jello commercials.

Dr Huxtable seemed at the time to be just another version of what he'd been playing on screen over and over before. Not unlike the way that people see Seinfeld or Larry David.
that's my point. it was all his invention. not the publics. the tv show just multiplied his exposure from 1:100000000000

Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #99
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
he became the elder statesman of african american comedy.
i wouldn't say that tbh, he burned a lot of bridges in the last decade or so by sounding like a black republican

Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #100
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean tbh black comedians today, like hannibal burress, seem to think the guy's a bit of a fuddy duddy white-safe fraud

Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #101
Trotskilicious
Banned

i wonder if we'll ever find out that morgan freeman is a child molestor or something

Old 11-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #102
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
It isn't blaming the victim to give women good advice
However we shouldn't require anyone to be perfect or to take good advice in order to see them as a victim
i think this is lost in the hysteria to jump to victim blaming accusations. i see this stuff on liberal news outlets about the "Monstrous" college education classes that teach people to take precautions and be aware.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #103
Eulogy
huh

If taking precautions means don't drink and don't wear short skirts, which it often is, then yes, that is a problem.

Teach men not to treat women like inanimate objects. That's more important.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #104
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

what would you know about treating women like inanimate objects BRO

Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #105
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

IM THE EXPERT ON THAT RECOGNIZE

Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #106
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
If taking precautions means don't drink and don't wear short skirts, which it often is, then yes, that is a problem.
don't get black out drunk, be with people you trust. that's what the MONSTROUS schools are teaching these poor innocent children
Quote:
Teach men not to treat women like inanimate objects. That's more important.
sure, btw good luck with that

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #107
Eulogy
huh

Jesus Christ.

So if women are going to drink around strangers I guess they'll get what's coming to them?? Holy shit you people are insane.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #108
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I was doing no victim blaming at all and if people had got to the end they'd have seen i specifically clarified that.

It's not RIGHT that women should have to worry about being drunk alone among strangers, but they VERY MUCH DO. And again saying men should be the ones changing their behavior is true, but won't make it happen.

that's still not the victim fault, ever, if she gets drunk among strangers or whatever, it's never the victims fault. I'm just against this sort of movement now that tells women they don't need to do anything differently, just men. Because it's utopian and magical thinking and will only mean more victims.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #109
Eulogy
huh

I think my head is going to explode

Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #110
Eulogy
huh

"It's not the victim's fault, they should just act differently so they don't get raped or assaulted."

?????????

Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #111
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

oh fuck off.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #112
Eulogy
huh

You saying you're not victim blaming does not absolve you of your victim blaming

Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #113
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
oh fuck off.
You are a fucking moron. Surely you know this.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #114
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I'm not getting into it further because you are in fact being fucking dense.

How does suggesting women need to UNFORTUNATELY always be thinking about potential rapists equals me saying if they get raped because they fiund themselves in a riskier situation, it's their fault?

If YOU think i'm saying that makes it their fault ever even if they weren't taking precautions, then you're being the fucking moron.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #115
Eulogy
huh

Do you not see the problem with the following statement:

"It's not your fault but you really should have been more careful."

If that is a problem, then "you should be more careful" is also a problem.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #116
Eulogy
huh

Like. Goddamn it. No wonder we are so fucked.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #117
hnibos
Braindead

Nobody said they're ok with the reality.

The alternative to this, eulogy, is that no one takes precautions against anything ever. Do you advocate that?

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #118
hnibos
Braindead

You make it seem like we're saying, it's ok for rapists to exist because people should be careful enough to not get raped.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #119
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I mena you're ok with the idea that women should just not worry about it ever and just live their lives trusting that men will not try to take advantage of them or of certain situations and rape them?

Because see to me, that seems to be what you're implying now. Just cross your fingers and hope for no rape.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #120
Eulogy
huh

And you guys are saying that women can and should do more to prevent their own rapes.

I'm ok being on the opposite side of the two of you here.