Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
noyen
Immortal

Default the national

someone guide me to their best songs/albums. i just heard them for the first time tonight. 4 songs from their latest and i fucking love it. kinda stupid but i don't listen to a lot of music outside of my comfort zone of what i've been naturally exposed to or stumble upon so it takes me forever to reach bands that have probably been popular for 10 years. recommenced me some of their best, people who know are in the know.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
noyen
Immortal

fucking hell there is no point to starting a thread here anymore. butter margarine bullshit buttfuck clithammer.

delete. abort mission.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
redbull
Immortal

album wise, start with either Boxer or High Violet

songs:
Mr November
Fake Empire
Green Gloves
Secret Meeting
Bloodbuzz Ohio

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
noyen
Immortal

sweet thank you. i'm all over trouble will find me right now. like it so much.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
redbull
Immortal

tbh there's not a better song in their entire discography than Fake Empire

I think I'm just horribly biased towards that album in general though, it's what got me into them

Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
noyen
Immortal

putting that on queue next and see what happens if my skin tingles.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
noyen
Immortal

who is the child that lives here that actually rates threads? who hurt you? mods should seek these people out and just ban them. whether it's a 1 star or 5 star. burn in hell.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
noyen
Immortal

whoever you are you're a fucking stalker that should put your head on the tracks.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
noyen
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

I think I'm just horribly biased towards that album in general though, it's what got me into them
i love it. i dunno how ive been into sharon van etten so long and not given these guys a listen. i purposefully didn't see them open/play with her last time she came through town.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #10
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

they are my absolute favorite band from the last decade. I like the new one the best probably, followed by Alligator > High Violet > Boxer > the first two (which are not of the same quality of their successors at all IMO). also this band fucking KILLS live.

a few of my favorites

Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #11
redbreegull

if you like what you hear just download the whole discography minus the first two, they have been astonishingly consistent for the past decade

Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #12
noyen
Immortal

Thumbs up

groovy. yeah, first thing i heard was graceless on an SNL rerun tonight. that did the trick. these guys and sun kil moon / mark kozelek are keeping me busy. i stopped listening to m. koz for a long time. turned my back and now that i've returned to listening again he has like 12 albums and live stuff i haven't heard that is all brilliant.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #13
redbreegull

haha kozelek is like my other favorite dude. I would have said Sun Kil Moon is my favorite band of the last decade, but honestly I have felt real let down by his last few releases. I've tried over and over to get into everything after Admiral Fell but I just can't really dig most of it, and I used to revere the guy's songwriting.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 AM   #14
noyen
Immortal

ive been a red house painters fan from the start. i was a teenager. i kind of grew out of it for a time.. but i think benji is amazing, and though the jimmy lavalle record is very synth poppy, once you hear him do those songs solo it just adds so much. i wasn't too into his modest mouse covers, some were okay. he could've chose better songs. he is amazing at constantly re-writing his own material and his covers are usually taken to another level, like the ac/dc stuff is fantastic. i still like him a lot. i just watched his on tour documentary and i'm back to listening to him. it's probably because i've aged along with him. i marvel at his storytelling ability in songs and wittiness and his ability to write love/hate/meloncholy songs with tinges of comedy. m. koz will always be one of my favorite songwriters and performers. even if he puts out a studio recording i dont like, i'm always amazed when he offers up a different version live. "you missed my heart" is a good example. on the savalle record it kind of feels out of place. but then on the live in brisbane cd, it sounds how it should've sounded to start with. same with gustavo on other live cds. carissa off the benji album is such a good opener.. i guess different strokes but i think benji is his best in years.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
who is the child that lives here that actually rates threads? who hurt you? mods should seek these people out and just ban them. whether it's a 1 star or 5 star. burn in hell.
it's future boy

Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

i think this band is criminally boring but i think fake empire is the best song

Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
AndySlash

mmm

Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #18
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
ive been a red house painters fan from the start. i was a teenager. i kind of grew out of it for a time.. but i think benji is amazing, and though the jimmy lavalle record is very synth poppy, once you hear him do those songs solo it just adds so much. i wasn't too into his modest mouse covers, some were okay. he could've chose better songs. he is amazing at constantly re-writing his own material and his covers are usually taken to another level, like the ac/dc stuff is fantastic. i still like him a lot. i just watched his on tour documentary and i'm back to listening to him. it's probably because i've aged along with him. i marvel at his storytelling ability in songs and wittiness and his ability to write love/hate/meloncholy songs with tinges of comedy. m. koz will always be one of my favorite songwriters and performers. even if he puts out a studio recording i dont like, i'm always amazed when he offers up a different version live. "you missed my heart" is a good example. on the savalle record it kind of feels out of place. but then on the live in brisbane cd, it sounds how it should've sounded to start with. same with gustavo on other live cds. carissa off the benji album is such a good opener.. i guess different strokes but i think benji is his best in years.

I do love the acoustic you missed my heart. I'm a lot younger than you cause I was a babby when rhp got started. I got into him when april came out, a friend played me moorestown and I was just like holy fucking shit and burned through his whole discography and loved it all. his songs still rip my heart out like literally no other artist. maybe I will give benji another try... I just really miss the majestic craftmanship of his older work. To me, he's gone from making something ineffable and sublime to something... I dunno, smaller.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 AM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

Location: A compostable condom made from 100% recycled materials

Funnily enough I listened to High Violet for the first time today as well. I'd only heard Bloodbuzz Ohio before then.

After one listen I'm not dying to relisten like noyen was, but it's not bad. As I was listening I was remembering how Trots slammed the shit out of them and I was thinking, yeah I can see how he feels that way.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #20
noyen
Immortal

Its graceless, don't swallow the cap, I should live in salt and demons that I heard today and got hooked on.. Fake empire is okay but I don't like when the horns start.

That track from dark was the night rules I have that record and some reason didn't click then. I really like their latest record. It'll take time to dig through the rest.

M. Koz is just bound to surprise. Like bill Callahan/smog. He just put out a hastobetongueincheek Lil Jon style banger called "smack that girl". Its either meant to be funny or he lost his marbles. I think he's trying to be funny/ironic maybe inaulting. That's why I like Callahan too. He's creepy.

So glad we have a feature that only future boy uses in such a sociopathic way. What would happen without it. Post you fucking pussy.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #21
D.
shoegaze thot

I thought you had to post in a thread to rate it. Hmmm.

National were really good when I saw them this year. That voice.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #22
Rairun
Ownz

Alligator is by far their best, I think, followed by Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me, and then High Violet. The first two have some gems, but they are more uneven.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
good god, there's too many people in that band. The National always sounds to me like they take their music very, very, very seriously. And then the guy comes in with his crooner voice and all the hipsters swoon and say how great they are. But to me it's kind of background music or soundtrack music when the boy realizes he's been a dick to the girl and runs through the rain to stop her before she gets on a train to go art college in Zaire.
pretty much, except zaire doesn't exist anymore

Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

and the national is the music for that whole thing happening and then the girl goes "oh sorry I am with barry now and we're leaving, goodbye" and then fake empire plays as the credits roll and he's standing in the rain, forlorn

Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

of course! it's a prequel of a bend in the river by naipaul and she's the daft white woman

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #26
null123
Minion of Satan

I feel like I don't have the right type of relationships to enjoy this band

Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't get this band at all

WHERES THE HOOK?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #28
Shallowed
Braindead

Location: A compostable condom made from 100% recycled materials

I silently judge people who silently judge hipsters who silently judge plebs, what band should I listen to?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

All these indie bands make me think of Radiohead but with no hooks.

Just the most whiny parts of Yorke's songs strung together

Old 07-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
noyen
Immortal

so controversial. you must be a kiss fan.