Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #661
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, the game is pretty fun in it's depravity, as you get to run around executing, intimidating, interrogating, and blowing up the heads of orcs. So many different ways to dispatch them, but the orcs also have different vulnerabilities and immunities. Exploding a barell of grog on an orc might actually enrage and buff him instead of killing him, but he might one away terrified as soon as you swarm him with morgai flies.

The orcs also have unique personalities. Any normal grunt who kills you will become a captain and get his own name, voice actor, and traits in the "Nemesis System." Captains you've encountered will remember you and retain the scars you've given them, like burns, prosthetic limbs, stitches, metal plates… if you've really done a number on them multiple times, they'll just wind up with a bag over their head. Orcs that have killed you will remember killing you and boast about it. You can send death threats to orcs through minions, it's great. It pretty much uses the system to make the line between "enemy fodder" and "bosses" a fluid one, instead of having your traditional structure of "fight a bunch of minions before getting to the boss fight, rinse and repeat." Any minion can essentially become a boss if they kill you, bosses can ambush you anywhere in the game, you can stumble across and attack bosses in the middle of the map, it's great. It's pretty much how you use "procedural generation" properly, in order to solve a specific problem and generate unique encounters. Whereas something like No Man's Sky goes, "let's just do procedural generation for the sake of procedural generation so that we can say we have 2903w420433q3 planets, even if you do the exact same boring shit on all of them and they all look the same with slight variations."

Old 06-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #662
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've never read a single Tolkien work, but from what I understand, these games play fast and loose with canon. They are supposed to take place between The Hobbit and the trilogy, and your player character is actually two characters: a human ranger created for the game, and an obscure LotR character who doesn't get a lot of page time in Tolkien's own works, but who is integral to the actions that set all the events of the series into motion. I think few of the events explicitly contradict Tolkien lore, but they more just feel like they don't fit, I'm told. I don't want to give any spoilers, but there's one such plot development that made even me, a guy who knows nothing about this lore, be like, "uh, I don't think you can just do that, but okay."

Apparently, Monolith actually started out making a Batman video game as a tie-in for The Dark Knight in 2008, but it got canceled (maybe WB didn't want confusion and competion with Rocksteady's Batman games), and the team started repurposing some ideas for the LotR license they got. I'm sure the Batman game was so early in development that most of the ideas were original to their LotR project and not just carry-overs from the Batman game, but it does at times feel like you're playing a high-fantasy vigilante Batman-analogue who jumps from rooftops and scares enemies, but, unlike Batman, has no problem stabbing and decapitating his enemies.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #663
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yo Reprise, have you seen the trailer for Deathloop yet?

Looks good. Pretty much, Dishonored, but with an Outer Wilds-like time-loop. Thought you might be interested, since you're the one who turned me onto Dishonored.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #664
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yo Reprise, have you seen the trailer for Deathloop yet?

Looks good. Pretty much, Dishonored, but with an Outer Wilds-like time-loop. Thought you might be interested, since you're the one who turned me onto Dishonored.
Looks sweet, but no way I can play it. I might get a new laptop soon though. I'd upgrade this one it but already overheats. My RAM and CPU are good for High settings according to them, but my graphics card is not even close

Old 08-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #665
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, they finally revealed the new Batman Batman's sidekicks and Suicide Squad games.

Not really feeling them.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #666
run2pee
Minion of Satan

What’s good on PS4

Gave into my pandemic blues and spent my last remaining pennies on a PSVR/PS4 bundle with Skyrim. Gonna be probably a hulking asshole lizard in VR

Old 10-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #667
run2pee
Minion of Satan

DK im gonna snag that shadow mordor for sure, any tips on how to be the baddest

Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 PM   #668
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Finally beat these two dicks in cuphead

Such a mean trick how the godly art/animation is constantly luring/inviting u to lose focus on the exceedingly frenetic gameplay

Lotta gosh dang swearing have i been doing at omg this piece of game

Old 10-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #669
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Did anyone try a short hike yet

It is very relaxing to glide in. There’s music. You dig up things or swim, but there’s no koopas or moblins

Old 10-15-2020, 02:05 AM   #670
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i tried cuphead because i found the 50's aesthetic incredibly appealing, especially as a retro sidescroller type game. the visuals and sound of this game are so pristine. but i really could not bring myself to enjoy it. it is just not fun.

made me remember this one time i was reading about the making of the original super mario bros 3. how the game designer Japanese Miyamoto kept pushing the team and scratching off level designs and ideas, and continually kept questioning during the process: "is it fun?"

and SMB3 is still such a fresh, delightful breeze to play through. it really IS fun. when i played cuphead it was so far removed from having that joy - i immediately got stuck on like the second level, firing off at least 30k rounds at what appeared to be a boss level even though i literally just started this goddamn game where's the exit i'll recommend this to my friend thank you?

Old 10-15-2020, 02:47 AM   #671
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i tried cuphead because i found the 50's aesthetic incredibly appealing, especially as a retro sidescroller type game. the visuals and sound of this game are so pristine. but i really could not bring myself to enjoy it. it is just not fun.

made me remember this one time i was reading about the making of the original super mario bros 3. how the game designer Japanese Miyamoto kept pushing the team and scratching off level designs and ideas, and continually kept questioning during the process: "is it fun?"

and SMB3 is still such a fresh, delightful breeze to play through. it really IS fun. when i played cuphead it was so far removed from having that joy - i immediately got stuck on like the second level, firing off at least 30k rounds at what appeared to be a boss level even though i literally just started this goddamn game where's the exit i'll recommend this to my friend thank you?
Yeah i mean i feel u i don’t really enjoy hard games either — or more specifically games that demand precise inputs, constant vigilance, and (worst of all) continual trial and error thru the process of countless deaths

What saves this one for me is the little running cuphead/flag/whatever after every death that shows precisely how much progress you’re slowly but surely making. And then when u do beat these dicks (which u definitely can — it’s not near as mean-spirited/punitive as like, NES Ninja gaiden for example) the rush of fist pumpin YES YES YES exhilaration is pretty pretty special

Old 10-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #672
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
What’s good on PS4
Fallout 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have stood out so far. That Keanu Reeves game coming out next month also has the vibe of being quite a comprehensive effort and will hopefully live up to its marketing budget.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #673
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Fallout 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 have stood out so far. That Keanu Reeves game coming out next month also has the vibe of being quite a comprehensive effort and will hopefully live up to its marketing budget.
Wicked, thanks

For some reason i got the impression everyone was disappointed by fallout 4 and that it wasn’t as good as 3, was this just like a fad? Fallout 3 is one of those games ive started like 5 times b/c i really am drawn to and want to play it but something always interrupts me and i never did more than a few preliminary hours into it. Love that desolation tho. When you’re so alone with nothing but the sound of the wind and the ghastly clicking of the rad scorpions

Old 10-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #674
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i'm gonna play some long rounds of katamari on ps2 before i bother writing my midterm paper >_>

Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #675
yo soy el mejor

does anyone have any spare ps2 games they don't want?

Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #676
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Nice i snagged katamari after seeing u post about it on here, still need to get into it, the controls are for some reason sorta unintuitive to my old/addled sensorium so while i am charmed into submission i keep hitting this wall of my lil guy not going where i would like

Anyway, but yeah, any tips? Just stick with it?

Old 10-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #677
run2pee
Minion of Satan

For PS2 ive whittled it down to my essentials so no, sorry, u can’t have any of them

Busted out silent hill 3 for halloween times good god the sound design and environments in this game are so seductively evil. The second is of course the best silent hill but i think SH3 is my personal fave just for the immediacy of how it starts and you’re just in hell right off the bat, rather than the more slow burn of SH2

Old 10-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #678
redbreegull

I bought the xbox package of remastered Rareware games. I'm going in hard on Perfect Dark, perfect difficulty only. It's kind of therapeutic

Old 10-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #679
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my body is ready for cyberpunk 2077

do games usually stay at $60 when they first come out for a while? can't believe i'm going to pay $50 (walmart probably) for a game, but...

Old 10-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #680
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm actually surprised Cyberpunk isn't, like, $80. Hyped Triple-A games, particularly their "complete" editions or whatever, can get that expensive.

I've literally never bought a brand new game and only wait until they are on sale or old enough to be cheap.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #681
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm actually surprised Cyberpunk isn't, like, $80. Hyped Triple-A games, particularly their "complete" editions or whatever, can get that expensive.

I've literally never bought a brand new game and only wait until they are on sale or old enough to be cheap.
This is precisely why im a generation behind when it comes to multiplat/PlayStation stuff (never owned an Xbox)

With friekin Nintendo it’s a different story unfortunately, been snagging the switch heavy hitters day one. But they never go on sale. Like god of war PS4 is currently 20 bucks digital on the PS store as the normal price. Yet Nintendo sells breath of the wild for $60 to this day, three plus years later

Friekin Nintendo....

Old 10-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #682
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
DK im gonna snag that shadow mordor for sure, any tips on how to be the baddest
Death is a mechanic in the game, and dying to enemies impacts your relationships with them, which can create fun emergent stories.

However, the game is easy enough that you won't be constantly dying

Therefore, if you want, you can make interactions with orcs more fun by purposely dying to them sometimes. You can increase the challenge and chance of getting better gear by building up an orc enemy though dying to him repeatedly, which increases his rank, and then killing him off when he's a high enough level to give you good gear, but also harder to kill.

Or you could not and just try to die as little as possible. I get too competitive to want to intentionally throw fights, even if it means fewer orcs with funny dialogue and memories of killing me.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #683
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:

how long does that usually take? i want to play it within a couple months at least

Old 10-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #684
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Death is a mechanic in the game, and dying to enemies impacts your relationships with them, which can create fun emergent stories.

However, the game is easy enough that you won't be constantly dying

Therefore, if you want, you can make interactions with orcs more fun by purposely dying to them sometimes. You can increase the challenge and chance of getting better gear by building up an orc enemy though dying to him repeatedly, which increases his rank, and then killing him off when he's a high enough level to give you good gear, but also harder to kill.

Or you could not and just try to die as little as possible. I get too competitive to want to intentionally throw fights, even if it means fewer orcs with funny dialogue and memories of killing me.
Wicked tips, bitchen insights

Thanks

Old 10-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #685
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
my body is ready for cyberpunk 2077

do games usually stay at $60 when they first come out for a while? can't believe i'm going to pay $50 (walmart probably) for a game, but...
wow apparently it's coming NEXT MONTH

i am actually stoked and may buy this

if a pirate version comes up it'll be hard to say no

Old 10-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #686
run2pee
Minion of Satan

This cyberpunk is from the Witcher 3 devs right? What is it? Like open world choose your own adventure? Do i get to make a character? My “nintendo blinders” have been on where ive been ignoring news of all the sweet new PS4 stuff that’s been out of reach right up until basically exactly right now in fact here is my box with the PS4 in it, came a day early OMFG!!!!

Old 10-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #687
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
This cyberpunk is from the Witcher 3 devs right? What is it? Like open world choose your own adventure? Do i get to make a character? My “nintendo blinders” have been on where ive been ignoring news of all the sweet new PS4 stuff that’s been out of reach right up until basically exactly right now in fact here is my box with the PS4 in it, came a day early OMFG!!!!
Looks like you are a certain person (so no making character 100% from scratch with no backstory) but everything else is customized. According to a review (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-what-we-think) there are three different backstories.

I have not played Witcher 3 yet (I did buy it) but yes I think that is what it will be like.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #688
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Cyberpunk 2077 won over one hundred awards at E3 2018,[66] including Best Game, Best Xbox One Game, Best PC Game,[158] Best RPG,[159] and People's Choice at IGN,[160] Best Role-Playing Game and Game of the Show at Game Informer,[161] Best of E3 at PC Gamer,[162] and Game of the Show at GamesRadar+.
Two years later still not released, lol

Old 10-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #689
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Baulder's Gate 3 early release is $60. For a buggy game that only has 1/3 of the plot available to play.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #690
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I've been playing Nier: Automata and it's pretty sweet. Not sure how far into it I am but pretty far I think. But I think there's like 25 endings and once I beat it I will be able to play it as a different character or some shit so yeah.

Most games I try to be as strong as I can, with this one I'm upgrading all the weapons, trying lots of shit out, just trying to have fun with it and not hoard stuff. Combat is the highlight of the game by far. Skills are super customizable with different "programs" and whatever. And you can have multiple available at once so no having to recustomize over and over so that's good.

First game with my desktop and enjoying it for sure