Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: WS
Sox 36 75.00%
Cards 12 25.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #121
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Hey sppunk, we should have a wager.. like when the Yanks win the WS I get to pick your avatar and title for the rest of the year, and if the Sox take the WS you get to do the same for me...

Old 10-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #122
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Hey sppunk, we should have a wager.. like when the Yanks win the WS I get to pick your avatar and title for the rest of the year, and if the Sox take the WS you get to do the same for me...
Until December 31, 2004? Deal.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #123
yesterdays
Pledge

im afraid if yanks beat shilling in game one, redsox are toast.
what ever happens im sure its gunna be theatrical..

Old 10-12-2004, 01:05 PM   #124
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally posted by sppunk
8 hours.

"I'm not sure of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up." - Curt Schilling
Yep, he sure does like to run his mouth and be the center of attention. Yep.

I bet soon he gets a midget of his own so Pedro stops stealing his spotlight

Old 10-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #125
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:

Yep, he sure does like to run his mouth and be the center of attention. Yep.

I bet soon he gets a midget of his own so Pedro stops stealing his spotlight
Hey now, dueling midgets would be wicked awesome.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #126
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Thumbs up

My SOX hoody came just in time for the game. Nice.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #127
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by neopryn
My SOX hoody came just in time for the game. Nice.
Pix plz

Old 10-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #128
El Savior
Socialphobic

i'm watching the end of that game with the glorious walk off home run from bill mueller.

fuck man, 4 and a half hours.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #129
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Pix plz
http://fansedge.com/Images/Product/31-42/31-42391-f.jpg

Old 10-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #130
Sepiae
is a modern day sex camel

Quote:
Originally posted by El Savior
i'm watching the end of that game with the glorious walk off home run from bill mueller.

fuck man, 4 and a half hours.
I cried after that game. :erm

Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #131
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by twice
hi jenniferkate. i had a customer from boston tonight, her beaming eyes and avid demeanor made me think of you as she spoke of the red sox winning this year. needless to say you came to mind.
enjoy the rest of october, sweets.
i can't enjoy it. i won't eat or sleep for the next week at least. i was trying to explain the love to someone yesterday but she just looked at me funny and asked me how the mets were doing. :erm like trying to explain a religious experience to an atheist. being in the same thought as a sox fan makes me twitter, but thx sugar!

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is dumber than (1) a bag of hammers (2) a sack of wet, disoriented mice who have been concussed with hammers (3) a lobotomized Joey Lawrence.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #132
Nimrod's Son

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by jenniferkate

i can't enjoy it. i won't eat or sleep for the next week at least. i was trying to explain the love to someone yesterday but she just looked at me funny and asked me how the mets were doing. :erm like trying to explain a religious experience to an atheist. being in the same thought as a sox fan makes me twitter, but thx sugar!
I would offer to make a wager with you but then julie would yell at me

Old 10-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #133
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Talking

Quote:

I would offer to make a wager with you but then julie would yell at me
i can't bet, i can't even make a prediction

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is dumber than (1) a bag of hammers (2) a sack of wet, disoriented mice who have been concussed with hammers (3) a lobotomized Joey Lawrence.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #134
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Talking

poor javy vazquez

YANKEEZ ROOL!!! Boston is teh suck
by Larry Mahnken
October 12, 2004

Thanks to the media's Midwest-bias, you probably haven't heard much about this, but the Yankees and Red Sox are playing each other in the best of seven American League Championship Series, the winner going on to play the winner of the National League Championship Series (Cardinals) in the World Series.

You probably also haven't heard that the Red Sox haven't won a World Series since 1918, a fact that indisputably proves that the Red Sox will never win the World Series. In a related note, the Red Sox have never beaten the Yankees in a game that really mattered (if the Red Sox don't win the World Series in a season, then none of the games they played that year mattered; if the Yankees don't win the World Series in a season, nothing in the world matters).

Being wholly objective and prescient, and also, as some (me) have said, omnipotent, I've decided to break this series down, so that your lesser minds might be able to comprehend it. This should also save you the trouble of watching the series.

If my prediction does not come true, I will dismiss the outcome as being mere luck and irrelevant to… anything, really. If my prediction is even slightly true, I will crow endlessly about its confirmation of my superior predictive powers.

First Base: John Olerud versus Doug Menk.. Mant.. Me.. Kevin Millar

Kevin Millar caused quite a stir this past offseason when he told ESPN that he preferred current Yankees' third baseman Alex Rodriguez to Nomar Garciaparra, Manny Ramirez and his own children. The obsession continued into the regular season, Millar trying to get Rodriguez's attention and impress him at every opportunity. When Rodriguez and Jason Varitek brawled at home plate in Fenway this July, Millar came out of the scrum screaming, "I touched him! I touched him!" and vowing never to wash his right hand again. He's kept that vow.

The Yankees signed John Olerud in mid-summer to replace the ailing Jason Giambi. As a Met, Olerud would often ride the subway to the ballpark. Fans going to the park with him rarely recognized him, some think because he wasn't wearing the flapless helmet he has worn in the field since suffering a brain aneurysm as a young man, but it was probably just because he played for the Mets.

Olerud is vastly superior to Millar defensively, and while the Red Sox sometimes replace Millar in the late innings with a guy they got from the Twins who is really good with the glove, I can't spell his name so we'll pretend he doesn't exist. Millar's a better hitter, but only stupid fans prefer offense to defense. Also, Olerud has rings, Millar doesn't.

Advantage: Yankees

Second Base: Miguel Cairo versus Mark Bellhorn

Neither of these guys was supposed to be starting at second this season: Boston had signed Pokey Reese to prevent runs on defense, the Yankees were playing Enrique Wilson in order to prevent runs on offense.

Mark Bellhorn got a chance to play while Nomar Garciaparra sat out the first two months of the season pouting, and he hit so well that the Red Sox decided to make him their everyday second baseman, despite the fact that his failure to advance a runner in the eighth inning of a game they would win 2-0 in April might eventually hurt the team. Bellhorn did end up hitting 17 home runs and played solid defense, but he only batted .264, and he struck out 177 times. It must also be pointed out that he slugged only .264 in Coors Field last year, which brings his manhood into question.

Cairo was supposed to play sporadically wherever the Yankees needed him, but the injury to Aaron Boone and the subsequent trade of Alfonso Soriano put him into the mix for a starting job. But when Wilson hit .462 in the spring (in comparison to Cairo's measly .324 average), Torre decided that Wilson was the guy he should play every day, regardless of how he actually produced. When Wilson was hitting well... in the theoretical situation in which Wilson had been hitting well, Torre couldn't take him out of the lineup, because he was hitting well. When Wilson was hitting poorly, Torre wouldn't take him out of the lineup because he was due to hit well. It was a brilliant strategy that had the Yankees playing a guy with a .200 batting average over a guy hovering around .300.

Eventually, Torre got the naked pictures back from Wilson and plugged Cairo into the lineup, where he provided strong defense and good offense. By season's end, Wilson was so upset about being relegated to keeping the bench from flying up towards the roof that he said he'll be signing to play elsewhere next season. Depressingly, there is almost certainly some team that's willing to give him a job.

Torre's probably wised up and won't play Wilson at all in this series. If he does, he'll probably win the pennant with a homer.

Shortstop: Derek Jeter versus Noma... oh yeah, that's right. Orlando Cabrera

The Red Sox got sick of Garciaparra's act at the end of July and shipped his butt out of town, getting Orlando Cabrera and the first baseman who cannot be named.

But let's be honest, there's really no point in discussing Cabrera's merits, had he any, when it comes to this position. There is The Jeter, and only The Jeter, and none come before him. There have long been questions about Jeter's defense by the more ignorant analysts, and many said that The Jeter should move from short when the Yankees brought in Gold Glover Alex Rodriguez. But the Yankees moved Rodriguez, not Jeter, thus proving that The Jeter was the superior defensive player. He may even win the Gold Glove this season, establishing him as the greatest human being to ever walk the Earth -- not that he wasn't already.

The fact is that the Yankees have such an enormous advantage at this position that it must become the new standard for all lopsided comparisons. The most that can be said of any advantage is that the difference is as great as the difference between Derek Jeter and Orlando Cabrera -- though of course, it's impossible for anything other than this comparison to meet that criteria.

Third Base: Alex Rodriguez versus Bill Mueller

Mueller is a solid hitter who came over and lucked his way into a batting title. He missed time in the middle of the season with arthritis in his knee, but luckily was able to make it back after only a few weeks. In late July, he won a game against the Yankees by hitting a fly ball to right-center that luckily snuck over the wall, merely 400 feet from home plate.

But all that luck isn't going to help him or the Red Sox at third base, because the Yankees have Alex Rodriguez. In addition to being the best-paid player in the game, Rodriguez is also the blandest. But more than that, he's one of the very best players around. He's so good that he grew weary of it this season, and spent most of the season trying to make outs in clutch situations and lower the expectations of the Yankees fans. Having successfully done that, he awoke in the American League Division series, hitting clutch homers and doubles, winning Game Four in extra innings all by himself.

Rodriguez added an interesting chapter to the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry in the offseason when he was nearly traded to the Red Sox by the Rangers. The rumors of an impending trade filled the sports pages for weeks, and there were even rumors that he was coming to Boston after he was traded to New York. Ultimately, the deal fell through when the Red Sox were unwilling to accept the increase in salary from Manny Ramirez to Rodriguez, and the MLBPA refused to allow Rodriguez to devalue his contract enough to please Boston. Somehow, Boston fans decided to blame Rodriguez for that.

In July, Rodriguez got in an altercation with Jason Varitek after he was hit by a pitch and Varitek punched Rodriguez in the face after words were exchanged. Again, Boston fans blamed Rodriguez for that. In recent weeks it's come out that Rodriguez was also responsible for cancer, President Bush's poor approval ratings, and Nickelback.

Catcher: Jorge Posada versus Jason Varitek

Jorge Posada and Jason Varitek are actually amazingly similar players. Both are switch-hitting catchers with good pop. Posada has a better eye, but Varitek hits for more power. Varitek is seen by many as the fiery emotional leader of the Red Sox, and his assault of Alex Rodriguez inspired the team to turn their season around three weeks later. Posada is Pedro Martinez's arch-nemesis, and some say illegitimate father. There's one clear difference between the two players: Jason Varitek has a goatee. That makes him evil.

Lightning Round!!!

Right Field: Gary Sheffield versus Trot Nixon

Sheffield's so good that he took steroids and got worse! And what kind of name is Trot

Center Field: Bernie Williams versus Johnny Damon

Get a haircut, hippie.

Left Field: Hideki Matsui versus Manny Ramirez

Remember when Manny cut off the throw from Damon? That was hilarious.

Designated Hitter: Ruben Sierra versus David Ortiz

Ruben Sierra hit a three-run homer to tie Game Four of the ALDS. What has David Ortiz done lately?

Starting Pitching:

Game One and Game Five: Mike Mussina versus Curt Schilling

In 2001, Mussina and Schilling met in Game One of the World Series. Mussina got bombed, but he was pitching on nine days' rest, something that he's never liked. This time, he's only on seven days' rest, so it's completely different.

Game Two and Game Six: Jon Lieber versus Pedro Martinez

The Yankees were 3-0 in games Lieber started against Boston this year. That's a big enough sample for me. Pedro Martinez didn't make any friends in Boston when he made his "daddies" comment about the Yankees after losing to them for the second time in a week in September. He'll alienate the fans even more when he shows up for the postgame press conference in a Yankees cap. Boston fans will blame Alex Rodriguez, though.

Game Three and Game Seven: Kevin Brown versus Bronson Arroyo

When Kevin Brown punched a wall in early September, he was sending a message to his teammates: if that's what I'll do to myself when I don't meet my expectations, what do you think I'll do to you? The Yankees responded by losing 7-0 the next day. But after Brown killed Bret Prinz with his bare hands in the clubhouse, they turned things around and won 11 of their next 14. As for Bronson Arroyo, see: Trot Nixon.

Game Four: Javier Vazquez versus Tim Wakefield

The Yankees will lose this game.

Advantage: Red Sox

Bullpens

Some really good pitchers, some really mediocre pitchers. Also, Felix Heredia and Derek Lowe, both of whom will probably have a bigger impact on a game than any of the relievers not named.

Prediction: Yanks in Three

Book it.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #135
Nimrod's Son

Old 10-12-2004, 07:41 PM   #136
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

fuck. 2-0.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #137
Nimrod's Son

Maybe Schilling will shut up 55,000 New Yorkers by making them lose their voices from cheering too much

Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM   #138
Axis of Action

SCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLL-INNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Old 10-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #139
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

A fastball to the head would be good right about now - preferably mine.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #140
Axis of Action

this is amazing. this is better than cocaine.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #141
Nimrod's Son

What is the over/under on which inning Curt starts crying in?

Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 PM   #142
jenniferkate
bitch please.

did mccarver say "come on, my brother!" to al leiter? :erm

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #143
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Maybe it's good to get the ass-kicking out of the system in the first three innings ... :erm

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #144
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
I'm stuck with Sterling/Steiner until 6:30 when I leave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...eenmonster.jpg

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #145
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Talking

Quote:
Terrorists should behead the Fox crew.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #146
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Terrorists should behead the Fox crew.
I should have bet a whole lot more

Old 10-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #147
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
I should have bet a whole lot more
It's not everyday Curt Schilling grimices every time he puts his foot on the mound.

I still say Boston in 6.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 PM   #148
Boner

With sppunk as my witness, I called the Yankees 4-game sweep and I'm sticking to it.

Anderson, there's absolutely no logic behind sticking to the Sox in 6 when you're whole basis of the pick in the first place was Schilling.

Sox in 6? You're telling me that the Sox are ficking to take 4 of the next 5 from the Yankees including 2 in New York. LOL!

Old 10-12-2004, 08:47 PM   #149
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
With sppunk as my witness, I called the Yankees 4-game sweep and I'm sticking to it.

Anderson, there's absolutely no logic behind sticking to the Sox in 6 when you're whole basis of the pick in the first place was Schilling.

Sox in 6? You're telling me that the Sox are ficking to take 4 of the next 5 from the Yankees including 2 in New York. LOL!
2-3-2

Schilling can go 1-4-7 if need be. I'll take a split in the first two road games.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #150
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Quote:
I'm stuck with Sterling/Steiner until 6:30 when I leave
steinling? i can't tell them apart. i hate them too. i want kenny and kitty! god even friggin kay would do.

i wish these fucks would stop talking about It

Last edited by jenniferkate : 10-12-2004 at 08:52 PM.