Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #301
D.
Consume my pants.

well, looks like my dude isn't going to review my mix, so i'll just post the tracklisting and be done with it.
looks like this mix exchange was a bust because people are lazy. oh well. it was a good idea while it lasted.

Netphoria Mix 2009
01. White Town - Undressed
02. Home and Abroad - Smokey Town
03. We Are Scientists - After Hours
04. Dirty Projectors and David Byrne - Knotty Pine
05. Dave Sitek - With A Girl Like You
06. Shallow - Missle Command
07. Drugstore - Speaker 12
08. Adorable - Sunshine Smile
09. Applecider - Another Sunny Day
10. Flee the Seen - Wardrobe Full of Fiction
11. The Capsules - Light the Path
12. My Favorite - Burning Hearts
13. Home and Abroad - Frame By Frame
14. Mates of State - Punchlines
15. Lil Wayne - I Feel Like Dying
16. Blue Ghost - Float Feet First
17. The Decemberists - Sons and Daughters
18. Airiel - Kiss Me Slowly
19. Los Campesinos! - Heart Swells/Pacific Daylight Time
20. The High Violets - Chinese Letter [Ulrich Schnauss Mix]

Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #302
shannon
Minion of Satan

a link would be awesome!

up to you though

Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #303
D.
Consume my pants.

oh yeah, i don't remember what it is. pbe prob has it still, though.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #304
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
well, looks like my dude isn't going to review my mix, so i'll just post the tracklisting and be done with it.
looks like this mix exchange was a bust because people are lazy. oh well. it was a good idea while it lasted.
nah- in the future we can just exclude those that failed last time. This whole ordeal was like 3 months when we could have executed the whole thing in 2 weeks.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #305
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
oh yeah, i don't remember what it is. pbe prob has it still, though.
I do, but not with me. I will post the link when I get home.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #306
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
nah- in the future we can just exclude those that failed last time. This whole ordeal was like 3 months when we could have executed the whole thing in 2 weeks.
word.

maybe i'll just do it next time. pbe is doing great, but i'd be willing to take over.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #307
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
I'd say a month, maybe a little more. I think two weeks is plenty for making a mix, but you have to factor in leaving sign-ups open for enough time for people to see it and all that. I have definitely learned my lesson about keeping people included when they were super late with their mix last time though. I am sure my not wanting to leave anybody out probably let it drag out too long and that is totally on me. I hope we do have another one and maybe somebody else has ideas to make it run a bit smoother.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #308
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
word.

maybe i'll just do it next time. pbe is doing great, but i'd be willing to take over.
You can have it, D. I will happily participate but running it has kind of sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #309
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

show people your gun and rough em up d.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #310
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja1288 View Post
show people your gun and rough em up d.
oh i plan on being a nazi. deadbeats will get a nice little visit from me and my gun.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #311
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
a link would be awesome!

up to you though
Here is the link I have to his mix:

hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/198644821/netphoria_mix.rar.html

Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #312
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post

I just have to much other shit going on at the moment. I'll try to finish it tonight, I promise.
im going to go ahead and say it was me that made your mix, in case you hadn't guessed

ill wait another couple of days and then post a link and tracklisting in case anyone wants to grab it

Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #313
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

I know I'm one of the deadbeats for mixes. Maybe I'll get it finished by the end of the week after the craziness that is SXSW is over.

Here's the tracklisting and link for mine though.. it hasn't been reviewed either but whatever

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #314
Fritter
Ownz

Well i'm another dead beat. I went back to uni like the day i downloaded my mix and was staying somewhere with no net. I dunno if this has been mentioned, but i tried getting on here at uni to post my review and it's fairly fucking impossible. The computer nearly exploded. I'll get my review in tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #315
publius clodius
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: thank you mario but our princess is in another castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan patrick View Post
how can someone not love Head On. jesus.
i keep saying this to people

Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #316
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Well the fuckhead reviewing my mix is both a lazy prick/marginal poster and apparently thinks my taste in music sucks. I'm a deadbeat reveiwer but here' what i posted:

1. Circle Takes The Square - Interview At The Ruins (from As The Roots Undo)
2. Priestbird - In Your Time (from In Your Time)
3. 5ive - News II (From Hesperus)
4. The Violent Femmes - Jesus Walking On The Water (from Hallowed Ground)
5. The Black Angels - Doves (From Directions To See A Ghost
6. Jucifer - Armada (from L'autrichienne)
7. Converge - Hell To Pay (from Jane Doe)
8. Igorr - Mastication Numerique (from Poisson Soluble)
9. Teargas + Plateglass - A Book Of Black Gongs (from Teargas + Plateglass)
10. Genghis Tron - Board Up The House (danny lohner remix) ( from Board Up The House Remixes Vol. 3)
11. Grails - Belgian Wake Up Drill (from black tar prophecies vol. 3-4)
12. Tortoise - The Lithium Shifts (from It's All Around You)
13. Hrsta - Silver Planes (from L'eclat Du Ciel Etait Insoutenable)
14. Sonic Youth - JC (from Dirty)
15. Steve Von Till - Clothes Of Sand (From A Grave Is A Grim Horse)
16. Tweaker - Crude Sunlight (feat Jennifer Charles) (from 2AM Wakeup Call)

Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #317
Fritter
Ownz

This looks like mine. Sorry, man. I have given it a fair few listens over the weeks though. I dug it as a whole. It's not stuff that i normally listen to besides Cocteau Twins and recognising the Cut Copy and Xiu Xiu songs, and i liked it for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irridescent Fairysex View Post
Yeah whatever, I have no idea if my recipient got my mix or not and I don't know if I should keep paying attention to this thread. Here's the mix I made and the URL to download it.

01. Cocteau Twins - Cherry Coloured Funk [Great song. Good to start with one i know]
02. Cut Copy - Saturdays Reprise [I liked this a lot. It's like pure condensed listenability]
03. Porter - Xoloitzcuintle Chicloso [this was pretty cool, yet cheesy. i'm not sure which side wins out]
04. A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song [Hmmm flock of seagulls? Interesting. This was a good little song.]
05. Cut Copy - Going Nowhere [I have similar feelings to the other Cut Copy song. I like how dumb the bass sounds.]
06. Porter - Host of a Ghost [I think i like this better than the other song by these guys.]
07. M83 - We Own the Sky [This was a pretty great song. Definitely will be checking these guys out.]
08. Ride - Taste [This was alright. it reminded me pretty heavily of a Zwan song (Lyric)]
09. Asobi Seksu - Thursday [pretty cool]
10. Empire of the Sun - Half Mast [i know why i recognised this now. i liked it. Especially the chorus.]
11. New Order - 1963 [I liked this. Been meaning to check New Order out for like forever]
12. Juan Son - Nada [alright. reminded me of sigur ros]
13. Xiu Xiu - Sad Redux-O-Grapher [Xiu Xiu are a bit hit and miss for me, and this is a miss, at least in the context of the mix]
14. Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses [It's hard not to laugh when you hear this song. I enjoyed listening to it though]
15. Bauhaus - Crowds [A good closer. Another band i've been meaning to check out. I'm kind of hopeless at being proactive when it comes to listening to new music.]

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zn3eumyw3ij/mix.zip

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #318
Hypocaust
Fucking up since '01

Exclamation

Well, I apologize for taking over a month to properly review this, but lately, I only get to listen to music while at work and taking notes doesn't exactly work. I did write a very, very intoxicated review a couple weeks back, but managed to not post it in my drunken stupor. Finally, I have a day off, so I just re-listened to it twice this morning and can give my sober feelings on the mix, after giving it some time to set in and have a better opinion of each track.

01. Like the ambient start, feels like a Tool interlude. Then, all out metal up the ass. Oddly enough, I probably have the least knowledge about Metal than most other genres. I really need to know more than Pantera and Tool, but so much I have heard is just off-putting. Always been a fan of the loud-quiet song structures. I realy like this, with the melodies and spoken-word type elements. I actually wished there had been more riffing/screaming parts. Look forward to hearing more from this band.

02. Trying not to focus on the album art(which was left on 2/3 of the songs). Has a familiar sound, very Trail of Dead-ish. Wow, this really goes places. Love the dynamics and overall feeling. Great stuff.

03. Completely unfamiliar. Fucking awesome first minute. Love when it kicks in at 5:38. At over eight minutes long, I wish it covered a little more ground, but it's pretty solid. Can't wait to hear more from this artist.

04. Violent Femmes, awesome. For a band who put on one of the best live performances I have ever seen, I really don't know much of their catalog. An odd fit on the mix, but enjoyable for the irreverent Violent Femmes style.

05. Sounds very familiar, but I can't place it. OK, I think this is Black Angels. Saw them open for BRMC last year and really enjoyed their set, but not enough to pick up their album, but wished I had. This song doesn't really go anywhere, but I remember them sounding pretty jammy live. Probably would not give them another listen based on this track, but still want to hear more from them. Maybe they are a live band?

06. Oh christ. LOL. I want to like this, with the doom and gloom heaviness, with the at times nice female vocals, but it just comes off as a laugh. I like the part where the vocals sound like Corin from Sleater Kinney, but this song is really hard to take seriously.

07. Reminds me a lof of Slint. Has the Don riff. I kinda dig it, but wish the vocals weren't so buried. Not much to say, but would be open to hearing more.

08. oh noes. If this isn't a joke track, it must be something Patton cooked up. Either way, between this and track 06, you're making it hard for me to take any of this seriously.

09. I think I've heard it before. It sounds like the Dust Brothers, but I can't really place it. Not bad, but not all that intriguing.

10. This sounds like it has to be Pucifer, but that's not Maynard. Either way, Lohner has to be involved somehow. I think I like it more than a lot of Pucifer songs.

11. Interesting soundscape, terrible production. Feels unfinished. Pretty meh, though I like the woodwind whatever that comes in at 1:52.

12. I know I've heard this before, I'm thinking it's Tortoise? I like it, but it sounds weird out of context of the album.

13. Almost sounds like Karen O, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Reminds me of that awesome song on the last mix I got. Great, great sleepie time music. It feels like it's going to go somewhere, but never does, but that's ok. May be on my next sleep mix.

14. Nice, acoustic track. Damn, I want to think this is Mark Lanegan, but it could be Tom Waits. Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's neither, but the similarities are there. Sounds like a younger hybrid of the two. Wow, short and sweet. By far, my favorite of the mix thus far.

15. Holy shit, a song I actually know. Sonic Youth - JC. I haven't listened to Dirty in forever, but damn I need to. So good.

16. Another Lohner track? I think it's Tweaker, though I never did pick up that album, I've heard a bit from it. The female vocals on this track are great. Great closer. Another potential for the sleep mix I am working on. The last four songs make up for the dead spots along the way.

Really hard to give this a solid ranking, the majority of it was forgettable, but it did have some cohesion as well as a nice diversity. Some songs transitioned incredibly well together, while some didn't really fit at all. I really look forward to hearing more from the artists responsible for tracks 01, 02, 03 and 14. Thanks for your patience and my apologies for lagging on a review. Thanks for the work you put into it.

C+

Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #319
Hypocaust
Fucking up since '01

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Well the fuckhead reviewing my mix is both a lazy prick/marginal poster and apparently thinks my taste in music sucks.
I maybe a fuckhead, but who the fuck are you calling a marginal poster?

Also, the Violent Femmes track was not Jesus Walking On The Water, it was I Hear The Rain.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #320
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Alright. I think this thread has run it's course. Down to the depths with the rest of them!