Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Default Where does the Pumpkins facebook group and Sad Machines come from?

Every update I get from the Smashing Pumpkins facebook group is a fan being ultra positive about all of SP's and Billy's new releases, or talks about how under appreciated SP2 albums are. While there's nothing wrong with some enthusiasm its hard to believe anyone actually feels that level of enthusiasm for the new material. So who are these fans? Diehard fans from the 90s? new fans?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:37 AM   #2
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Russian troll farms

Old 09-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #3
Disco King
Minion of Satan

>Sad Machines
>Relentlessy positive

>Netphorians
>Are all depressed

🤔

Old 09-03-2020, 02:51 AM   #4
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

If you're not relentlessly positive towards SP you get kicked out. Simple as that.

That Clay guy is a classic Monte. People who run fan communities to be noticed by senpai.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
Ram27
dumb

it's a good question. same with corgan's insta

i mean there are some insane fucking people out there

Old 09-03-2020, 03:23 AM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
If you're not relentlessly positive towards SP you get kicked out. Simple as that.

That Clay guy is a classic Monte. People who run fan communities to be noticed by senpai.
What exactly do people get kicked out for saying? If I just said, "Teargarden doesn't do it for me," would that be an insta-ban? What if in the hourly "top twenty SP songs" threads, somebody noticed that my list only made mention of pre-breakup tracks? Exile?

Old 09-03-2020, 04:08 AM   #7
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Sad Machines are also depressed.

It's a disturbing dynamic to say the least and a hive-mind pseudo-cult at worst. I used to be a SM but I left because conversation and discourse weren't allowed. You were only allowed to drink BC's discharge from a fire hose and were expected to swallow.

It's an identity thing. I'm more comfortable here mainly because there is very little censorship. For all the netphoria hate and pissing and moaning it's not a cult. We all vent at each other, like immature assholes, but at least we're allowed to.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Try to say that you want the fuzzy sound from sd and bolly is gonna ban u

Old 09-03-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Most days I'm embarrassed I was ever a fan at all. But then I remember Glynis or the vulnerability of SD.

We all gravitated towards the band for different reasons, but we're all the same damaged people longing for a voice in this world. Sad Machines do it their dysfunctional way and we do it ours.

Amazing we can't recognize we're opposite sides of the same overlooked coin. Pennies, if you will.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

But whatever, the internet doesn't reward such sentiment so FUCK SAD MACHINES, RIGHT?!

Old 09-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #11
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Rad Machines

Old 09-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

i was on Sadmachines for a while but got banned.

they're mostly good people, they're genuinely excellent to each other. clay is a good guy (a real straight tho).

my fave memory of them is after an SP gig trying to get Clay to down a pint and he wouldn't do it because he couldn't think of any SP lyric, WPC interview etc that said downing a pint was ok

Old 09-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Every update I get from the Smashing Pumpkins facebook group is a fan being ultra positive about all of SP's and Billy's new releases, or talks about how under appreciated SP2 albums are. While there's nothing wrong with some enthusiasm its hard to believe anyone actually feels that level of enthusiasm for the new material. So who are these fans? Diehard fans from the 90s? new fans?
you sound like a casual fan.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #14
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
Most days I'm embarrassed I was ever a fan at all. But then I remember Glynis or the vulnerability of SD.

We all gravitated towards the band for different reasons, but we're all the same damaged people longing for a voice in this world. Sad Machines do it their dysfunctional way and we do it ours.

Amazing we can't recognize we're opposite sides of the same overlooked coin. Pennies, if you will.
accurate.

sad machines=still in the “i worship the cult leader” phase

netphoria=“wait this is a cult?? dismantle it” phase

Old 09-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

not sure which FB group you're in, but the one I joined however long ago seems to be pretty evenly distributed between Sad-Machine types & people who actually speak honestly on their feelings about the new material without getting banned or whatev

Sad Machines is just the inevitable cult that happens when someone gets on a stage dressed the way Bill did on the '08 tour

Old 09-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Sounds like that you are not allowed to express your opinion about the shitty last 3 albums . Sad machines..... is that a religion? Fuck them

Old 09-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #17
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

burn a pumpkin on the steps of Clark Clucket

Old 09-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
clay is a good guy (a real straight tho).
you're joking right? Lol.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I'd separate it in that Netphoria loves the band and Sad Machines and SP Facebook is more about Billy, and also generally more into celebrating the post reunion members

Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 PM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

that's a good way of putting it. The others want to be sycophants to Billy. It's some weird mix of obsession and insecurity where they hope to get some personal acknowledgment from him or Linda. The ironic thing is that Billy is much more like the people here than any of those fans who suck up to him. He's gonna give you his opinion straight and unfiltered whether you like it or not and the need to be positive for positive's sake doesn't factor into that. He would make those people cry if they spent any length of time with him. His issue with net4ya is that he's generally the butt of the joke here, not that we're critical of his music. You know damn well he's critical of artists he likes too.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #21
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I was an early member (I think I was the 13th member because of lucky thirteen jokes). I believe it was spawned from another group. I had never said anything negative in the group itself, but I spilled some stuff here and was instantly blocked. The level they would have to go to in figuring out who I am is insane. They are very, very cult like. I was in a similar group for another band and found a member that was also a Sad Machine. She tried to recruit me into Sad Machines by saying that members often find their soulmates in the group. She met and married someone within days from the group. They all have gatherings and you are forced to wear matching clothes. It's really bizarre and the fact that Billy acknowledges and backs the group is disturbing.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #22
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
She tried to recruit me into Sad Machines by saying that members often find their soulmates in the group. She met and married someone within days from the group. They all have gatherings and you are forced to wear matching clothes. It's really bizarre and the fact that Billy acknowledges and backs the group is disturbing.
WTF? And yeah, Billy inviting them to be in the Silvery video only empowered their Fan Fascism. I guess we have fucking Monte to thank for souring Billy/Netphoria relations with all that Lucky13 shit etc.

I can't believe Billy snubs a fan community that's been around for 20+ years simply because we don't instantly love everything he does.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #23
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I agree with all the stuff about pathetic it is for Billy to support all that sucking up. It's beyond lame but its the real downside when you get popular. Net-Pho's contentious relationship with Billy is what makes it cool.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

It’s also interesting that with his wrestling interest he wouldn’t find that contentious relationship amusing. We are the arch nemesis he needs.

On a diff note, that polka dot Pam chick seems to be the latest embassador for sad machines that they’ve sent out into the wild to do their sycophanting. She even pops up on the Facebook SP group. Usually when someone is decrying negativity towards the band or how people should keep their opinions to themselves and blindly support the band. Sad machines is the SP equivalent of Scientology.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #25
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

FROM Vin Paul: Someone needs to find the christmas time smashing pumpkins video that was fan made from netphoria thats the best video of all time
BC: you mean the one where they call me Bolly and make fun of me? that was great!

Old 09-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #26
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
polka dot Pam
She is up there, but the real Monte has been Linda Strawberry the entire time. They all get their inside info from her and she gets it from GØD himself.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #27
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I was thrown out of the Sad Machines group for being straight.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #28
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 09-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
saturnine79
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post

I was kicked out of the group because I noticed that the official SP shop was doing absolute crap. Eternal shipping, no customs information on the package, which leads to unnecessary trouble. To be honest, I found it really blatant about them and felt like I was in a censorship. So I wasn't sad not to be involved anymore.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #30
dustrocck
Demi-God

I mean, people believe all of these QAnon theories, so why is it so hard to believe there'd be a group of people who worship at the altar of Corgan?

Messi was getting slammed by Barca fans when he was complaining about the team and wanting to leave. You'd think if anyone would be immune to criticism it would be Messi, but no, thousands of fans screaming good riddance at him.