Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
sweetanthony
Ownz

Default I've had enough. Jeff is the problem. Monuments is embarrassing. 'Shred of doubt...

Jeff and his "shredding" is making me sick. I tried to support the change during the Zeitgeist era, but now, without Jimmy, the slick guitar work is the throbbing sore thumb on a numb hand and I need it cut the fuck off. Since when was "shredding" anywhere near what Smashing Pumpkins music is?! Its clear, Jeff is the boring kid at school who can play the guitar "better" than most kids, but he's still not invited to the cool kids parties! You know why? he's boring as fuck and a bit full of himself because he's "talented" - who wants to hang out with THAT guy? Billy? Well, guess what, James Iha could barely play a "solo" but he didn't really need to. He was the compliment to Billy. I could go as far as to say that James' mere presence brought more to the band than everything Jeff does. James played the perfect compliment to Billy's guitar work within the songwriting. He played rhythm just fine and added splashes of "color" - was that not Billy's vision in the first place? And if this is Billy's baby, his art, HIS band, why would he compromise it so?

Basically he's ignoring what got him all the fans and money and saying, "here Jeff, you can be the focal point of SP's performances" how does that make any sense!? Ffs, even nowadays, Billy still crafts more interesting solos than Jeff (there used to be quirk, off-key notes, finesse, feedback, tempo-change, effect pedals in SP solos/leads) and when Billy "shreds" its for like 4 bars, and it "fits" the song. Jeff just fucking shreds all. the. time. There's no "edge" to anything he does! I mean, I know Billy is lazy... maybe he's just gotten so lazy he doesn't care, but how can he stand there and feel like HIS band is representing his values of "alternative" or pushing creative limits when this WANKER is pissing all over "SP" songs? Do ANY fans voice their love for this shit? After shows, people are like, "Billy, I'm so glad you got that Iha look-alike that plays like C.C. Deville! I really wanted SP to sound more like hair-metal!" Come the fuck on.

Jeff is obviously a "yes man" and brings nothing to the creative table of what is SP. If he does, then what he's bringing is SHIT because "Monuments" is "SMASHING PUMPKINS FOR DUMMIES" and like, the cliff notes version at that... just the dumbest fucking nonsensical lyrics and mind-boggling song choices (Billy, you put "Being Beige" and "Run2Me" on an album, but there's no "As Rome Burns" or "Gossamer" on any official release!?!) - its gotten to the point where, unless Billy drops acid or goes to the Amazon for some Ayahuasca ceremonies, the dude will be as boring and bland as Jeff's onstage persona... makes me sick when "Ava Adore" with Manson on vocals is the concert-ending encore. Laughable. I mean, how bad can it get?

There is no danger, no sex, no spirituality... not even chaos in the Monuments-era SP... and I cannot wait until there is another new album by a RELEVANT band making important ART with something TO SAY, so I can forget about Monuments... (if you know of something to make me forget about this abortion, please post info here, thank you)

with love and still a shred of hope for DayForNight,
a befuddled, disappointed, and angry 20+ year SP fan.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

he sounds alright - on the right songs...

didn't they make this album to test the waters and "piss off" listeners who look for depth instead of ringtones?
cynical ringtone pop - is that a genre yet

Quote:
(if you know of something to make me forget about this abortion, please post info here, thank you)
don't worry, you'll have forgotten most songs by tomorrow. alright alright?

Last edited by pavementtune : 12-12-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Forget the band is called Smashing Pumpkins for a minute. Are you still as upset?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Elphenor
Braindead

Who's Jeff

Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
GLOWer
Demi-God

the James vs. Jeff showdown boils down to the fact that while Jeff has faster, more confident fingers, his playing often sounds aimless. he just honks on scales and fills space. it's not that he's "more talented". he's just talented in a different way (ie. dexterity). James' playing is more rooted in what a song needs and less in being a player. he has that base level of musicality that Jeff seems to be missing and i don't think that can be taught. without it you're just a video game player.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Who's Jeff
the one playing piano. Schroeder.

http://i.imgur.com/INi9vgk.jpg

one of Charlie's guys

http://i.imgur.com/l9gaiQA.jpg

Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
Forget the band is called Smashing Pumpkins for a minute. Are you still as upset?
yes... Billy can write better music on his own (see: Tilt, CameraEye, Now & Then) without some lame ass history professor ticklin' his nuts. If he puts the SP label on it, fine, but who is he fooling, really?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOWer View Post
the James vs. Jeff showdown boils down to the fact that while Jeff has faster, more confident fingers, his playing often sounds aimless. he just honks on scales and fills space. it's not that he's "more talented". he's just talented in a different way (ie. dexterity). James' playing is more rooted in what a song needs and less in being a player. he has that base level of musicality that Jeff seems to be missing and i don't think that can be taught. without it you're just a video game player.
Beautifully said! Thank you!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
he sounds alright - on the right songs...

didn't they make this album to test the waters and "piss off" listeners who look for depth instead of ringtones?
cynical ringtone pop - is that a genre yet

don't worry, you'll have forgotten most songs by tomorrow. alright alright?
Well, I have to delete it from my Spotify account cuz as much as I hate it, there are some catchy hooks/choruses on the record. Thing is, unless he is purposely trying to fuck with the record company by putting out bad material - like "throwing" a boxing match... then maybe I can ignore MFAE, but we'll only really know after we hear Day For Night... alright, alright?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
sweetanthony
Ownz

The Billy solo from that version of Burnt-Orange-Black is proof that Jeff is useless. It blows anything Jeff has done out of the water. That being said, BOB is so uninspired, it makes me feel old and that is hard to do. Another throw-away song that I can't wait to forget exists.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Elphenor
Braindead

I totally agree with OP, Jeff isn't cool and you can hear it in the music. James used to balance Billt's technical playing out

Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

I've had enough. sweetanthony is the problem.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOWer View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I've never liked Jeff from the get-go and that pretty much sums up my main reasoning. His aimless noodling coupled with his nerdy awkwardness is painful.

I'm actually surprised that Jeff, of all people, is still in the band.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

The issue is that Billy likes cheesy bands like Scorpions, and in the 90's this was covered up by his bandmates disdain for that stuff. You think D'arcy would have looked the other way at a guitar odyssey like Gossamer? Now I know it's good live, but its undeniable cheesy and in a way un-Pumpkins. The balance the band had kept Billy from jumping the shark.

Jeff and Billy are just having fun now. The shark was jumped long ago. Let them have a good time. But yeah, you don't have to like it, and I don't. Good for them.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

That's probably true. I remember Billy saying that all the original SP members had completely different tastes in music, which helped shaped their sound. Hell, he met D'arcy by arguing with her over music.

At least when it was just Billy the boring wankfests could be avoided.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
The issue is that Billy likes cheesy bands like Scorpions, and in the 90's this was covered up by his bandmates disdain for that stuff. You think D'arcy would have looked the other way at a guitar odyssey like Gossamer? Now I know it's good live, but its undeniable cheesy and in a way un-Pumpkins. The balance the band had kept Billy from jumping the shark.

Jeff and Billy are just having fun now. The shark was jumped long ago. Let them have a good time. But yeah, you don't have to like it, and I don't. Good for them.
I hear ya, but there were 30+ minute Silverfucks and D'arcy held it down then, right? But what was the real difference? ...like I said, Zeitgeist-era, I was supportive and as bad as Billy's singing/pronunciation was in concert and thru the "chorus of Billys" debacle of the album, I could still see the special qualities that made me fall in love with the art, idea, and feeling of experiencing the Pumpkins (no matter who was in the band)... and its not just the loss of Jimmy either, cuz some of the best/favorite material/performances was Adore-era.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
krackhead
Apocalyptic Poster

jeff sucks.

james kinda sucked worse though...

Old 12-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
Ram27
dumb

James, D'arcy, and Jimmy are each ~25% of what we like about all the songs from the 90s.

It's never gonna be the same with JEFF THEFUCKINGSHREDDER SCHEORADER and TOMMY LEE YOU GUYS

Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Elphenor
Braindead

I've been saying for awhile that James was the most important part of SP minus Billy

Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

bullshit. jimmy's drumming takes second place, bitch.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Elphenor
Braindead

Without Jimmy you still get Adore

Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
Elphenor
Braindead

With Jimmy we got ZG

SP guitars are Cheap Trick cheezy without James's influence

And like fucking Rush, good god Billy has mostly shit tastes

Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #23
sweetanthony
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
James, D'arcy, and Jimmy are each ~25% of what we like about all the songs from the 90s.

It's never gonna be the same with JEFF THEFUCKINGSHREDDER SCHEORADER and TOMMY LEE YOU GUYS
Smashing Pumpkins are like the Chicago Bears... so much talent, but they under-perform and will never be as great as they used to be. And to make it sting worse than it has to, for the fans who supported them thru think & thin, is that it seems like the "players" don't care that they seem to be mere shells of what was - that they're okay with mediocrity while taking our time, money, and emotions. Billy has become the vampire that he sang about the world being. Maybe there is something rotten in the Chicago water...?

To one poster who said they're having fun/good for them... yeah, I guess that's what its about cuz "this isn't ours to keep" right? Its Billy's work and we as fans have a choice to listen or not... i'm literally shaking my damn head. Fuck it all, cuz i don't care anymore.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
Elphenor
Braindead

calm down bro

SP broke up 15 years ago, are you just finding this out?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
brilliant cover art!
too bad it would cost too much in licensing.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Same thread gets created every album post 2000.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
Elphenor
Braindead

You can't learn to be cool

Old 12-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #28
Elphenor
Braindead

You can't teach that outright disgusting noise solo on Zero

Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #29
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetanthony View Post
Smashing Pumpkins are like the Chicago Bears... so much talent, but they under-perform and will never be as great as they used to be. And to make it sting worse than it has to, for the fans who supported them thru think & thin, is that it seems like the "players" don't care that they seem to be mere shells of what was - that they're okay with mediocrity while taking our time, money, and emotions. Billy has become the vampire that he sang about the world being. Maybe there is something rotten in the Chicago water...?

To one poster who said they're having fun/good for them... yeah, I guess that's what its about cuz "this isn't ours to keep" right? Its Billy's work and we as fans have a choice to listen or not... i'm literally shaking my damn head. Fuck it all, cuz i don't care anymore.
sweet christ lord! take it easy compadre. besides, these days billy's too fat and too christian to be a nosferatu.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #30
FoolofaTook

the zero solo is jamez?