Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
he kinda is easily the best IDM artist though
come now. He's a great artist with some legendary albums. But hes far from the most influential, far from the most innovative, and far from the best on a technical production standpoint.

He saw hardcore, saw where it was going with jungle, and was one of the first to really put an emphasis on break edits and organizing massive chaos within a 4/4.

Setting aside Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson, Mark Bell would be the best IDM artist imo.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
TuralyonW3
Immortal

and yet I play LFO's Frequencies and I'm like "man AFX is like 100x better than this"

Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Yet wap5 was the release that made Warp records in to what it is. Frequencies is so old I don't expect everyone to love it... but in context it made bass more than a kick drum or a hoover. Advance (imo) was much better than frequencies. LFO aside Mark Bell has a lengthy resume

Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #34
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

has anyone got the new Autechre yet? I'm curious about it cause I love their early stuff (Amber is a personal favourite, enjoy them up to about Chiastic Slide) but the last few albums I feel like they've kinda crawled up their own arses a bit. Oversteps was too arty for me. So if anyone has heard it: What is the ratio of beat stuff to korg drones?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko View Post
come now. He's a great artist with some legendary albums. But hes far from the most influential, far from the most innovative, and far from the best on a technical production standpoint.

He saw hardcore, saw where it was going with jungle, and was one of the first to really put an emphasis on break edits and organizing massive chaos within a 4/4.
this is not what aphex twin is known for. you're just describing a phase of his. you don't seem to really know his work.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
myosis
Minion of Satan

and that particular phase was inspired by luke vibert's and squarepusher's work

Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Breakcore anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PBeKzVhWHY

Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
and that particular phase was inspired by luke vibert's and squarepusher's work
except wax the nip (probably about where his edit style first made an appearance) pre-dates anything squarepusher did in that vein under any of his alias's. Under his actual name his tunes were all acid techno/houseish tb303 type vibes. And dnb for papa (plug) was in 96ish and tame as fuck and really just kinda par for the scene at the time. Maybe I'm old and dated and glorify that era but thats what myself and a whole slew of people identified him initially for his spin on jungle and disecting his edits. He existed prior obviously but he wasn't the massive earth mover he was after girl boy/rdj blew the fuck up.

Post 1995ish when the tunes from girl boy/rdj started being played out the entire landscape of the drum edit changed in jungle. Whether he was the first or not is irrelevant he was the catalyst. Listen to the metalheadz catalogue in 95 (ie drumz 95) and then listen to it end of 96/97 (metropolis or predator) entirely different universe.

Plus RDJ has pretty much lived in that avenue for over a decade. Every time I've seen him he's played his type of drum and bass and other artists blatantly influenced by that sound. He played a few Mindsaw tracks a few years back and I know for a fact the artists and the label (being a part of it) were majorly influenced by him. That's will be his legacy whether you personally enjoy it or not is another argument

Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #39
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Here's a DJ mix I made. about 45 minutes, mostly house/garage stuff but with a little bit of hip-hop thrown in here and there. I would have put it on my soundcloud but i don't have enough room for it so here's a download link. Featuring Tokimonsta, Sorrow, Burial, Martyn, Scuba, Blue Sky Black Death, Aucan and lots of other stuff.

hXXp://rapidgator.net/file/b79efcfafc177c4109c17a43cc09f400/42013.zip.html