Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
ButtHash
Demi-God

Default Question about Eye in Lost Highway

Is it an early, unfinished version that is playing in the movie? I swear he sings the line “is it any wonder I can’t sleep” twice, the second time where the “all I have is...” line would go. But I might be hearing it wrong. Who’s got the insight scoop?

Old 10-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy messed up that take but everything else was perfect so they didn’t want to reshoot the scene.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
emilem
Demi-God

idk but its amazing to me that even after all this years, every time billy tries to make 'electronic music' it sounds like he is doing it for the first time ever and chooses the cheesiest presets. adore kinda made it work, because it just sounds like the times it was made in (and no matter how you cut it, at the end of the day it's basically just a weirder sounding rock album). but eye, the future embrace, or that modular noodling that OPN roasted.

i strongly doubt billy listens to electronic music all that much. i think he likes the idea of using it because breaking rock barriers or whatever, but he is always so passionless. it's weird.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
idk
Ok

Old 10-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

"Eye" is one of the instances where the primal nature of the production actually works for it

Adore had at least a couple pretty fucking adept dudes involved in the production so i wouldn't quite slot that in the same category

TFE mainly just had dull drums

Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

as far as your original question goes, i've never noticed that while watching the movie, though i'm pretty there's also talking over it so that may have distracted

Old 10-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

timestamp?
it's probably just a movie edit of the song.

Last edited by T&T : 10-11-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
T&T
Socialphobic

58:00
that is definitely NOT a movie edit. he sings the line “is it any wonder I can’t sleep” twice, the second time with the melody of “all I have is all you gave to me” which is NOT on any recording that I have. it must be an alternative or earlier vocal take.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
58:00
that is definitely NOT a movie edit. he sings the line “is it any wonder I can’t sleep” twice, the second time with the melody of “all I have is all you gave to me” which is NOT on any recording that I have. it must be an alternative or earlier vocal take.
That’s exactly what I meant, glad to know I wasn’t hearing things. Interesting little tidbit there. Wikipedia has Crogan quoted saying he rushed to finish the song for D. Lynch. He must have just straight-up not been done with it in time.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #10
ButtHash
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
"Eye" is one of the instances where the primal nature of the production actually works for it
Had to leave negative space for those future Shaq bars

Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

It was established long ago it's an alternate mix in the film. iirc there are some sound elements that are much more distinct/higher in the mix than on the soundtrack/single version.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
“Primal” is definitely the word I would use to describe a drum machine and keyboard. Spot on.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

In the context of electronic music (of the time or otherwise) it sounds primal, like he was just learning how to use the stuff. Word doesn't always mean "caveman music" you heathen...

Old 10-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
i strongly doubt billy listens to electronic music all that much. i think he likes the idea of using it because breaking rock barriers or whatever, but he is always so passionless. it's weird.
I think he genuinely likes it because of what a dork he was in the 80s but no doubt he knows nothing about it. It's the equivalent of rich stock brokers who know nothing about guitars buying grail guitars just to hang on their wall. Bring it down once in a while to dust off and badly bang out a few chords and/or impress potential lovers.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

The Matt Walker Pug remix proved to me that Billy is just bad at making electronic music decisions.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I love Eye and the band versions never do it justice. Though using the backing track live on current shows definitely has helped. When it is just the band, the energy is completely lost. Same goes for Ava Adore. Having Jimmy and the backing track is much better than just the live drums because they just can't recreate that oomph the looped beats have. But another idea would be to use drum triggers/samples to get the right sound instead of a backing beat. This will allow Jimmy to perform the electronic drum parts live on his kit or even use pads. Nine Inch Nails does this, a mix of live drums and triggers, and it sounds great.