Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #31
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Lawyers have been mobilized by the Pumpkins Camp. They're pissed!

Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #32
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
For the longest time he was fixated on the old school record company "hit" mentality, really failing to acknowledge all these alternative rock/grunge bands from the early 90s caught the tail end of album sales being a driving force in the industry.
Uh...pretty sure that's still the case with Billiam.

"Wah, I made this great record that all of my friends loved and nobody bought it, the system is rigged against me!"

Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #33
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
hah...i was gonna mention if Pajo felt conflicted every time he went to the bank to cash the check he got from Billy for Zwan.
Man, I know you are into some crazy conspiracy theory shit, but if you think for one second that anyone is still making any money off of Zwan, you are truly too far gone.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #34
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Nobody gets a royalty when their album is bought for $.50 at Goodwill.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #35
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I lolled

Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #36
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Well BJM isn't that great and neither were the Dandy Warhols. You wanna talk about pretentious d-bag, Courtney Taylor-Taylor.
The Dandy Warhols are my favorite American band of the 90s. Their first three albums are brilliant. Courtney Taylor is on the pretentious side at times I agree.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #37
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Man, I know you are into some crazy conspiracy theory shit, but if you think for one second that anyone is still making any money off of Zwan, you are truly too far gone.
I think the same as this here.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 AM   #38
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Narcissism seems to be pretty rare in alternative rock. The only other one I can think of is Anton Newcombe the singer from Brian Jonestown Massacre. That guy is even bigger asshole than Corgan. He physically fights with fans/audience members.
Quote:
There was a documentary made about his relationship and rivalry with the Dandy Warhols. He was like a hurricane in the film. He alienated everyone around him. Just a huge jerk. Textbook narcissism.
Never heard of this guy before either, but you've sparked my interest. I rented out that Dig! documentary and will watch it this weekend.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #39
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
You may joke, but I saw a copy of the MSOTS cd + dvd at a second hand store for a dollar or next best offer.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #40
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

I never see that album (or the future embrace) in record stores unless they're second hand.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 AM   #41
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The images they opened with are suggestive of a global epinephrine shortage.

P.S. "Billy reminds me of Alan Partridge if he'd made a hit record."

Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #42
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Oh no one artist has too much of an ego for another artist, what will we do

Old 02-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #43
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
Never heard of this guy before either, but you've sparked my interest. I rented out that Dig! documentary and will watch it this weekend.
It's kind of depressing at times because Courtney has so much respect for Anton despite how much Anton has sabotaged his career being a train wreck. Courtney is almost apologetic for Anton's behavior. And Anton is forced to watch as the Warhols become big and famous while he toils away in obscurity.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #44
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
You may joke, but I saw a copy of the MSOTS cd + dvd at a second hand store for a dollar or next best offer.
Thing is, I'm not even joking. Truth can be hilarious sometimes.

Quote:
I never see that album (or the future embrace) in record stores unless they're second hand.
In all fairness, most popular major label stuff from that era only exists in secondhand form today. Nobody's buying sealed copies of Trapt and The Used albums in 2017, either.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #45
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Is there a website one can go to and type in an album or artist name to see which releases are still in print?

Something more specific than Discogs, for example?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #46
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Fuck, I can't resist this.

While Billy does have that same narcissistic need to constantly repeat his accomplishments, he has 100x the awareness of his place in the world than Trump does. If you sat down and had a conversation with Billy about Adore, sure he might bitch about the record company and the fickle fans of alternative rock for too long, but he's not saying "Adore was a huge success, it was the greatest album ever, so good" over and over. Billy is a vain, egotistic, and moody asshole, but he's also extremely smart and thoughtful, which is why so much of his music is so goddamn good. If Billy was like Trump he simply could not write that stuff.

Billy is a conservative, and he thinks he matters more than everyone else, but not every conservative asshole is Trump.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #47
FoolofaTook

What about chemtrails?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

b0lly is b0nkers

Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #49
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post

While Billy does have that same narcissistic need to constantly repeat his accomplishments, he has 100x the awareness of his place in the world than Trump does. If you sat down and had a conversation with Billy about Adore, sure he might bitch about the record company and the fickle fans of alternative rock for too long, but he's not saying "Adore was a huge success, it was the greatest album ever, so good" over and over. Billy is a vain, egotistic, and moody asshole, but he's also extremely smart and thoughtful, which is why so much of his music is so goddamn good. If Billy was like Trump he simply could not write that stuff.

Billy is a conservative, and he thinks he matters more than everyone else, but not every conservative asshole is Trump.
This strikes me as the most reasonable take. Bill is, at least to me sometimes, sympathetic, because one can plainly see how lost he gets, and sad, and bitter. He hurts. The potus, on the other hand, is not sympathetic in the least; a human firehouse of mean, ugly, steaming cowshit

Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #50
DaveKShape
Ownz

Last edited by DaveKShape : 07-17-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #51
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Deadsy and Orgy are a great parellel to this. Two like minded bands from the same scene. One band is willing to play the industry game and conform and gets some traction and fame / success but ultimately and quickly falls out of favor and winds up back in obscurity. The other band isn't willing to play the game and so essentially sabotage any hopes for success and so doesn't get very far at all. So they both wind up in the same place but by different means.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #52
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
There's gotta be a few radio-stations in the world still spinning Zwans Honestly from time to time right.... RIGHT?!?!?!

I bet every 6 months Pajo and Paz get a nice 7 dollar and 50 cent residual check in the mail.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #53
fuzzyroes
Banned

Even though Zwan kinda sucked... That was a damn good single. I'm a little surprised that most of these alt-rock stations don't play it anymore.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 AM   #54
FoolofaTook

Nah onlyy.good.song on that albums msots

Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #55
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It's kind of depressing at times because Courtney has so much respect for Anton despite how much Anton has sabotaged his career being a train wreck. Courtney is almost apologetic for Anton's behavior. And Anton is forced to watch as the Warhols become big and famous while he toils away in obscurity.
Ok... So after watching the documentary, here are my drunken thoughts... So, the first 10-15 minutes I was thinking that Anton & the rest of the band were just taking the piss, like a combination of James Ihas sarcasm mixed with the Frogs video from Vieuphoria, that the documentary makers had just manipulated the 'joking' footage into looking like Anton was this crazy alt rock egotistical weirdo.. It wasn't until 15 minutes through that I realised this guy was for real.. And no, this is nothing like Corgan. Billy is too much of a professional careerist. Bill is, for lack of better words, to smart to be an Anton. Anton is just a combination of alot of mental illness, alot of drugs and a bit of egotism, whereas billco is the opposite. Loved the documentary by the way and will watch it again when im sober.
"Fuckin broke my sitar motherfucker.."

Old 02-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #56
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:

Well, you see Flamer, that's why I used the term 'went' to the bank. You'd have a point had I used the word 'goes', but I didn't, because I was speaking in the past tense.

So the question remains, do you think he FELT conflicted as he cashed those Billy checks for his duties in the band? I say yes, but he cashed 'em anyway. Who doesn't? Who wouldn't? You deal and life goes on...but his pansy ass should really just stfu.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #57
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Ok... So after watching the documentary, here are my drunken thoughts... So, the first 10-15 minutes I was thinking that Anton & the rest of the band were just taking the piss, like a combination of James Ihas sarcasm mixed with the Frogs video from Vieuphoria, that the documentary makers had just manipulated the 'joking' footage into looking like Anton was this crazy alt rock egotistical weirdo.. It wasn't until 15 minutes through that I realised this guy was for real.. And no, this is nothing like Corgan. Billy is too much of a professional careerist. Bill is, for lack of better words, to smart to be an Anton. Anton is just a combination of alot of mental illness, alot of drugs and a bit of egotism, whereas billco is the opposite. Loved the documentary by the way and will watch it again when im sober.
"Fuckin broke my sitar motherfucker.."
How about when he drop kicked that fan in the head? Pretty wild.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #58
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post

Trump doesn't lie because he's stupid or unaware though, he lies because he is a devious machiavellian who knows how to manipulate people and distort the truth in order to get people to react the way he wants. The narrative of him as some kind of oblivious fool is wrong. He's not "smart" in an intellectual way, but he's a king troll and a snake oil salesman, and that does involve a lot of animalistic shrewdness, despite the disconnect from the kind of intelligence that goes with knowing facts and being correct about things.

also Billy does say things like this is my best album since the early days, everyone says so, I've gotten so many compliments on it, it's great.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #59
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Really, watch Billy's best interviews, when he's in an open mood, and you see a depth of humanity that is so much greater than Trump's that the comparison is silly.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #60
redbreegull

yeah I mean Donald Trump is a fucking monster. I don't think Billy Corgan is an evil person

but I also think there are elements of his personality that strongly suggest he would be a sucker for Trump's hucksterism.