Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Why do so many poor people eat junk food, fail to budget properly, show no ambition?

Why do so many poor people eat junk food, fail to budget properly, show no ambition? Linda Tirado knew exactly why… because she was one of them.

Why I make terrible decisions, or, poverty thoughts
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-mouth-extract

Old 09-27-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

eh i think the stuff about how we don't fit on a college campus is kind of like...people might give you shit about it but you're not going to get kicked out, it's not like "you don't fit the image of the firm" which IS bullshit

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Well that broke my heart this morning. It's a good feel though.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
null123
Minion of Satan

It was especially interesting what she said about how some people dismissed her because she wasn't the "right type of poor person." It's crazy how people are so eager to point out some disproportionately small mistake you made if something terrible happens to you, as if making mistakes in life isn't inevitable. Like you only deserve sympathy and help for living in poverty if you're born into it, or if you are born into it, you only deserve to make it out if you live like a Spartan and are clever and strong.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
hnibos
Braindead

People have an intense desire to believe in free will/you ultimately control your fate and destination in life.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
hnibos
Braindead

Because if it were the case, then they must be decent human being, that's why they're not poor or not suffering.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Elphenor
Braindead

That's so true. To admit that chance plays a part in where you end up in life is to have to admit that you're not necessarily superior to other people.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Elphenor
Braindead

This is why they'll defend the wealthy to the death. Because if a rich guy has more money than he deserves then that could mean maybe I have more money than I deserve and that's an uncomfortable thought.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
hnibos
Braindead

I guess it's also more depressing to think we're just meat robots and being depressed = being a loser so

Gotta think happy and self affirmative thoughts. I'm better than you because I'm happy.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
It was especially interesting what she said about how some people dismissed her because she wasn't the "right type of poor person." It's crazy how people are so eager to point out some disproportionately small mistake you made if something terrible happens to you, as if making mistakes in life isn't inevitable. Like you only deserve sympathy and help for living in poverty if you're born into it, or if you are born into it, you only deserve to make it out if you live like a Spartan and are clever and strong.
I agree with this.

Personally, I started out poor and worked my way up to my current form of poverty.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

I started out middle class now im low income

Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Order 66
Socialphobic

if theres a god i think he'd want us to focus on looking cool instead of making lots of money

Old 10-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

yeah this was all over the internet like a year ago. Since then she's gotten like shitloads of cash through a gofundme page. And now i see it's being published as a book. Also: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...te_120950.html

She can fuck off. She doesnt really get to speak for actual poor people from actual poor backgrounds. (neither do I, I was born middle class too and as long as both my parents are alive, i could probably go live with either of them if everything in my life failed)

And seriously it's not hard to not have kids. Really not hard. I've succeeded at it all my life. And i don't know that people look down on abortion more than raising a kid you don't have the money to raise. whenever i see a story about some kid that got killed by their trashy poor parents i think "well they're probably better off that way". As probably are the parents for now being in jail. The food and lodging is free and they might even get free psychological help. And being locked up is not so bad when having no money means no freedom anyway.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post

And seriously it's not hard to not have kids. Really not hard. I've succeeded at it all my life.
Aren't you a disgusting male with whom no one wants to have sex

Old 10-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

It hasn't been much of an issue no. Sex i mean. It was for a while in early adulthood only because i was a complete hermit. turns out communicating with people helps develop relationships. It's crazy.

Also, being disgusting, not an issue when it comes to having relationships. Unless you mean morally disgusting which i definitely am not according to anyone who actually knows me. Anyway there's always people with worse morals than you.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #16
hnibos
Braindead

Yeah I meant in general and I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

<--- case in point

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Bread Regal
Banned

exploding boy posts link to right wing-blog which criticizes an essay which is sympathetic to poor people, because she cannot, with integrity, speak about the experiences of "actual poor people" because she was poor enough, i guess?

in same post exploding boy speaks sanctimoniously about the birth rate in poor communities.

he was always kind of dumb, but it's clear which side he's chosen in the class war, so now i just think he's a dirtbag.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
hnibos
Braindead

A sexist dirtbag

Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
exploding boy posts link to right wing-blog which criticizes an essay which is sympathetic to poor people, because she cannot, with integrity, speak about the experiences of "actual poor people" because she was poor enough, i guess?

in same post exploding boy speaks sanctimoniously about the birth rate in poor communities.

he was always kind of dumb, but it's clear which side he's chosen in the class war, so now i just think he's a dirtbag.
Actually i didn't bother checking my link. I just went for the first article that i could find that reported on that she might have been less than honest. The first time i read about it it wasn't on that site. If this is a conservative site, then i feel dirty Either way, she denied nothing that was said.

I side with intelligence and decency. It is both found in the wealthy or the poor.

I don't see class, people tell me i was born middle and i believe them because i was diagnosed with a personality disorder, my brother worked in a health food store, my dad took up cycling after retiring and my mom claims to be gluten intolerant.

Seriously though if you were raised by quebec separatists parents in the 70's, you were pretty much raised to not learn about class. I'm not sure i heard ther term class warrior until i was like 28. I do tend to hate on the rich more often than any other class though probably (because 98% made it to that money being pieces of shit) but i don't see how being poor exempts you from being faulted for anything.

I actually object to breeding in any social class. The rich raises narcissistic douchebags who think the world is owed to them, the middle class raises dysfunctional kids with personality disorders and guilt complexes and the uneducated poor, simple minded kids who lack capacity for self-reflection necessary to properly contribute to the betterment of society. Actually in general none of the kids from any social class contribute to the betterment of anything except maintaining the status quo.

I'm speaking in broad terms naturally. But I believe nothing good can be gained in further procreation. In any part of the world.

I still think that in the western world, not accidentally procreating isn't hard. Well....at least in countries with free healthcare (cause an abortion could be an issue if you have to pay for it i imagine). Personally, my gf isn't on birth control and i don't use a condom. We still have managed to not make a baby in the whole 7 years we've been together. Not difficult.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
A sexist dirtbag
That's just your very flawed perception.

And yes i know you're not the only one to have it.

Again, i'm for intelligence and decency. to some people it seems to make me both a dirtbag and even more puzzingly, sexist. I'm the least sexist person i know. Pretty sure by my standards 95% of people here are more sexist than me. The definition has just become so perverted.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
the ueducated poor [raise] simple minded kids who lack capacity for self-reflection necessary to properly contribute to the betterment of society.

I still think that in the western world, not accidentally procreating isn't hard. Well....at least in countries with free healthcare (cause an abortion could be an issue if you have to pay for it i imagine). Personally, my gf isn't on birth control and i don't use a condom. We still have managed to not make a baby in the whole 7 years we've been together. Not difficult.
Incredible. I don't even know how to approach this. How does one explain the world to someone who knows nothing about it?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
Bread Regal
Banned

you engage in risky behavior that very frequently has undesirable consequences which would make your life very hard if you weren't part of a social class that has consistent access to the resources that would help you avert financial catastrophe. why can't everyone be born into your social class? it's not hard. really.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

I can't believe how goddamn dumb you are ariel, "i didn't even read the link" and bitching about the fact that this person wrote something that struck a chord and now she's got a book deal she's not "proper poor" what the FUCK are you talking about

your idea of employment is gigs and medical studies, you are the poor

Old 10-03-2014, 04:07 AM   #25
Trotskilicious
Banned

i can't believe this fuckin guy why did he come back

Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
hnibos
Braindead

So you actually have no idea and should stfu?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
hnibos
Braindead

Gotcha

Old 10-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #28
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I can't believe how goddamn dumb you are ariel, "i didn't even read the link" and bitching about the fact that this person wrote something that struck a chord and now she's got a book deal she's not "proper poor" what the FUCK are you talking about

your idea of employment is gigs and medical studies, you are the poor
Well i am poor. But yet not really until my parents die. I have a safety net, not like money because my parents aren't giving me any (save maybe a hundred at like my birthdays or xmas) but potential support should I ever end up homeless (which in canada is fairly hard to achieve, i'd have to become mentally incompetent to not seek the help the government offers).

A lot of the truly poor don't have anything of the sort. i'll probably inherit a house someday of which my share will be something like 50 000$ which in my world will be like a million (or i may just elect to live in it). that's more than a lot of people i know can ever count on getting. Starting with my gf who has NO ONE. Not a dad, not a mom, not grandparents, not a sibling. No one. I'm poor from middle class meaning poor with some options. that girl who wrote the article from what i can tell was poor with lots more of options than i have and i consider myself one of the lucky ones. she presented herself as poorer than she is. Though i will admit that she did raise SOME good points when she wasn't too busy getting off on mentioning how allegedly fucking poor she was.

But yes it was dumb to link blindly. I mean i read what more or less the link as about, in an earlier story about it last year, on a non biased site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
you engage in risky behavior that very frequently has undesirable consequences which would make your life very hard if you weren't part of a social class that has consistent access to the resources that would help you avert financial catastrophe. why can't everyone be born into your social class? it's not hard. really.
What is not hard is not getting pregnant. In general. Sure an accident can always happen but if anyone is being actually careful it is not difficult to prevent. the % of risk is probably lesser than 1% whether you're on birth control or using condoms (nevermind both). Even without any of those, assuming one couldn't afford them or that BC wouldn't be paid for by healthcare, it's not very difficult. It implies, you know, not ejaculating inside a vagina which really doesn't demand unreasonable self control (speaking by experience) and is generally very effective especially if you couple that with tracking ovulating times. Getting pregnant (or getting someone pregnant) when you didn't want to generally demands a fairly high level of irresponsibility and/or fairly exceptional bad luck (obviously excluding rape). Or sheer ignorance to a level which i find hard to imagine exists in the western world.

Once you ARE pregnant than yes it can be difficult to get rid of the fetus anywhere that doesn't have social health care because then it becomes a money issue.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 10-03-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

Jesus areil you are a arseholr

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #30
Bread Regal
Banned

Totally oblivious.