Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #61
Andy /

i will post the tracklist when i post the next mix. the uploader for this mix wishes to remain anon until the end.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #62
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Cool.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #63
Andy /

damn right it's cool

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #64
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

So, er, we're supposed to send tracklists too?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #65
Andy /

if you want to remain anonymous until we're done, send only me the tracklist. if you plan on IDing yourself at the end of your week, you could just post the tracklist yourself at that time.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #66
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Question

I guess mix #02 will be posted sometime later today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
The plan for this mix exchange is for the mix maker to submit their mix and have everyone comment on it
I see there are 14 announced mixes. I see seven reviews for mix #01, plus one supposedly the person who'd made the mix and didn't review. That's 8 people. What about the other half of participants, what happened to you guys? Why do you expect people would listen to your mix when you do not bother with theirs? I find this a bit rude.

Last edited by RopeyLopey : 05-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #67
Andy /

I don't think you're going to get every person every week. It would be nice if more than half the people at least commented on it.

Mix 2 up later today.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #68
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't think you're going to get every person every week. It would be nice if more than half the people at least commented on it.

Mix 2 up later today.
looking forward to it!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #69
Mo
Immortal

01 - aha, huh? weird choice for an opener, but in a trashy way. still, 80ies pop is not my cup of tea.

02 - i don't listen to a lot of hip-hop, either, so i obviously don't recognize this. i like the sampling and his flow.

03 - i really enjoy the guitars and the voice, though it's a bit simplistic. but maybe that's the point.

04 - what the hell..? obviously a really bad or drunk or drunk bad band. what language is that?

05 - i should probably know what this is. a bit boring, and the sloppy delivery of the lyrics doesn't really help.

06 - this was one of my favorite songs as a kid. i don't like the beats, they kinda ruin this version for me.

07 - could be off the soundtrack of any clichι 80ies movie. man, i hate that decade ... way too long to endure.

08 - great song. the voice sounds familiar, and i love the way it develops. neat.

09 - i wanna understand this. very dramatic, almost operatic. cool.

10 - this song always reminds me of wonder boys (which is good). good choice.

11 - haha. i don't really understand the fuzz about most of elton john's work, but this cover is good. a bit overly dramatic (what a weird recurring theme for a mix tape). some transcoding glitches/file errors at the end.

12 - again: what the hell? ... quite the passionate song. and from the quality i'd guess it's old, too.

13 - i'm 200% with ugly on this. real shame i wasn't a part of this. around christmas i play this on every occasion.

14 - what is that from? who's the guy? weird choice for an ending. not very interesting either.

all in all i don't get this tape. there's no flow or theme throughout, at least none i could recognize, but i suppose it would be fun on drugs (any drug, that is). sober it's just a bit out there for me, but maybe i'm just too young.

i wonder who made it. i discovered a few nice new tunes, so - thanks a lot!

Last edited by Mo : 05-09-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #70
Andy /

Mixmaker #1 sent me this tracklist:

------------
Mix Week #01 tracklist

The songs were not picked randomly. Selections 01-07 represent songs I listened to when I was around 11 (around 1991), 08-14 are what
I mostly listen to these days. And although it is only a spring, Netphoria Last Christmas song is a must.

01 - a-ha - crying in the rain - this is a good song to listen to when you are 10-11 and some girl breaks your heart.
02 - naughty by nature - 1,2,3 - someone brought Naughty by Nature tape to school around 1992, we'd never heard about rap before. Everybody listened to it in order to look cool in front of everyone else.
03 - EOST - alpha centauri - the only local band who have had their own John Peel session - this song comes from that. Looking back, another thing I listened to just to 'look cool'.
04 - tri sestry - tragedie v JRD Cifare - always loved this, they were always totally drunk. Way back I had no idea about Bob Dylan, I thought it is a Guns'n'Roses song.
05 - dire straits - you and your friend - this was on a vinyl LP my father had- when I was 10-11 I didn't buy any music, I only listened to what I copied from friends' tapes at school, and my father's vinyl LP collection.
06 - DNA feat. suzanne vega - tom's diner - you couldn't escape this shit at that time. At that time I had no idea this is actually a remix of an original by Suzanne Vega. I thought Suzanne Vega=dance music.
07 - pink floyd - terminal frost - I loved listening to Momentary Lapse of Reason while falling asleep. The album has real soundtrack qualities, I was always trying to imagine some movie scenes to go along with that music.
--
08 - tindersticks - el diablo en el ojo - probably my favourite band nowadays - their first four, five albums, that is.
09 - chalice - minu inimesed - this is in my girlfriend's mother tongue. It is sort of a nationalistic hymn (in a positive sense). Here is a bad quality video of >80,000 people singing this song together: YouTube - laulupidu 2
10 - bob dylan - times have changed - as I grow older, I notice I listen to Dylan more and more.
11 - sinead o'connor- sacrifice - must be my favourite female interpret, although sometimes the tones she hits (particularly in 'Troy') give me headaches.
12 - carlos gardel - volver - don't know what to say about this, this old stuff is too good to limit it by any verbal descriptions.
13 - netphoria all stars - last christmas - classic.
14 - tom waits - missing my son - I feel like I could listen to him simply reading stuff without any gimics for hours. And it is also the best closing track I could think of.
-----

I gotta say, as a pink floyd fan, i got a kick out of the responses to that track.

next mix up in a bit.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #71
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Hey, sweet, Pink Floyd. Still did kinda remind me of some Top Gun tunes, though.

RIP Goose

Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #72
Andy /

mix #2 is up in the OP.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #73
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey View Post
I see there are 14 announced mixes. I see seven reviews for mix #01, plus one supposedly the person who'd made the mix and didn't review. That's 8 people. What about the other half of participants, what happened to you guys? Why do you expect people would listen to your mix when you do not bother with theirs? I find this a bit rude.
I listened to it but couldn't come up with much nice to say. this might be a running theme. I hate to just shit all over someone's mix.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #74
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

since when are netphorians afraid to hate on people

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #75
Mo
Immortal

Seriously. It's not like it's anything personal..

Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #76
redbreegull

can someone re-post the list of participants?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #77
redbreegull

I don't know any of these songs

01 – the sound of a door opening and someone walking around, cool
02 – weird spoken word thing, about as much lyrical diversity as Widow Wake My Mind.
03 – kind of cool I guess. pretty generic
04 – isn't this a song from O Brother Where Art Thou? What the fuck is this?
05 – spoken language intro. this is in some fucking foreign language, I am too high to tell which one. kind of dig
06 – do not want
07 – more spoken word. electronic bullshit
08 – another one with an electronic beat and 1 lyric
09 – instrumental hard rock guitars with generic epic synth sounds. Better than any of the previous songs.
10 – lol is this like Taking Back Sunday or something
11 – reminds me of Weezer. hey more spoken word
12 – I don't really dig all this quasi-emo sounding stuff.
13 – this sounds like the last few songs except that the singer has a scottish accent
14 – yawn, more of the same
15 – Dinosaur Jr. song I have never heard?
16 – too much shit on this mix is just totally generic sounding. There is nothing memorable about this loud guitar song with a simple melody, especially since it is like the 9th on the mix
17 – Neutral Milk Hotel?
18 – I dunno man, sorry, I just don't dig this. All these songs sound the same to me.
19 – This is the best one

Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #78
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
since when are netphorians afraid to hate on people
I just didn't think it was very constructive or interesting to post:

I like track 3, and track 1 is nice in a shitty song kind of way, the rest I do not like at all

Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #79
RopeyLopey
Braindead

I recognized only two songs, so I liked this mix for exposing me to something I don't know. I found track 5 the most intriguing here. A lot of the songs sounded generic and I don't know what they are doing here, if the mix maker really likes these artists, or if this was supposed to be 'generic theme' mix.

01 - intro track - ok
02 - this sounds like some less interesting Sleeper's drum track. I pay attention to the drums, the rest is like a background. The sample ' today the streets were filled with strangers' is overused.
03 - liked the outlined song melody up to 0:30. Why is the singer so sad? Is he emo? Non-offending music, but nothing really stands out.
04 - this sounded like Michael Stipe singing country. Didn't like the added live audience.
05 - the most intriguing track for me on this mix. Waiting what comes out of this start, that one chord went forever. What language is this? It is similar to Spanish, but it is not Spanish - maybe Portuguese? I really would like to know. There is not too much progress through the song, but the foreign language keeps me paying attention.
06 - I would describe this as 'a russian reggae with oriental elements'
07 - this plainly irritates me
08 - not fan of this, looking towards some original, non-sampled composition in this mix
09 - those guitars at 0:32 a nice surprise, I thought it is some dananananakroyd song, but they would have some kickass vocals. I really missed vocals in this.
10 - teenage music these days? I liked the intro up to 0:13, the rest sucks. The band is clearly clueless how to end the song.
11 - weezer-like riffs, liked the quick section with harmonics - that moment is my favourite bit on this mix. Only if the singer didn't sound so gay. Go to hell with Lord. I would cut everything from this song except those runs with harmonics, those were great.
12 - this started like Corduroy. Not fan of this, but at least it seems the band really enjoys what they are doing.
13 - what English accent is this? Liked it more on the second listen. The harmony from 3:45 onwards was especially pleasing.
14 - Two Gallants - haven't listened to them for a long time. Single-handedly beats all the sample-supported stuff on this mix. Music with a real, beating heart.
15 - that guitar solo sums up J Mascis.
16 - the length of the song was appropriate - all I have to say about this.
17 - nothing outstanding about this for me.
18 - interesting. I might look into this more when I find out who it is.
19 - in every song I found about 30 seconds of interesting stuff (except J Masics solo), the rest usually felt like filler. So, in summary, this mix coud have been about 10 minutes long for me, and I wouldn't miss anything.

Last edited by RopeyLopey : 05-10-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #80
Mo
Immortal

Red face

Andy/, you got your heart broken when you were eleven?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #81
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

who didnt

Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #82
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Andy/, you got your heart broken when you were eleven?
wha?

Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #83
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
this is a good song to listen to when you are 10-11 and some girl breaks your heart

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #84
Andy /

i am not mixmaker #1. in fact, i'm not making a mix at all- i didn't ******* myself.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #85
Mo
Immortal

Shit, I overlooked the first line. Never mind.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #86
redbreegull

also, I think everyone should review every mix, even if they didn't like it. It's part of the game people.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #87
slunken
Virgo

Agree.

I couldn't get thru the latest mix in one sitting. At 1.3 hours could I even burn this?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #88
Mo
Immortal

If you're using 80mins CD-Rs - sure, as 1.3 hours are about 78 minutes or something.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #89
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
If you're using 80mins CD-Rs - sure, as 1.3 hours are about 78 minutes or something.
the mix #02 is apparently 80minutes 9 seconds long.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #90
redbreegull

different players will recognize slightly different track lengths