Originally Posted by pale blue eyes View Post

01: Architechture in Helsinki - Heart it Races
02: Solid Gold - Get Over It
03: Ron Sexsmith - Brandy Alexander
04: Easy Star All-Stars - Karma Police
05: Raphael Saadiq - Let's Take a Walk
06: Flight of the Conchords - A Kiss is Not Contract
07: Dead Moon: It's OK
08: Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah)
09: Funkadelic - Can You Get to That
10: The Stone Roses - Elephant Stone
11: Heartless Bastards - The Mountain
12: A Band of Bees / The Bees U.K. - This Town
13: Colin Meloy - Bring It On Home to Me
14: Decibully - Weakest Kind of Heart
15: Billy Bragg & Wilco - Somebody, Some Morning, Sometime
16: Talking Heads - The Book I Read
17: Alela Diane - Oh! My Mama
18: Lucinda Williams - Sharp Cutting Wings (Song to a Poet)
19: David Byrne - I Wanna Dance with Somebody
Link to tagged mix: hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/1qtj2g

Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #182
I'm Hardcore
Banned

of all the Stone Roses songs in the world, you chose that one??

Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #183
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Like I said earlier, I literally just got into them less than a month ago. I needed another song for the mix, it came up on shuffle, I liked it, and so I stuck it on there. Right now all I have is their greatest hits album.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #184
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Deadbeat was ... talk show host.

I sent his mix to somebody else and removed him from the list of recipients. That way, everybody got something to listen to.

Keep those reviews coming!

Last edited by pale blue eyes : 10-19-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #185
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I literally just got into them less than a month ago. I needed another song for the mix, it came up on shuffle, I liked it, and so I stuck it on there. Right now all I have is their greatest hits album.
haha its alriiiiight im only having you on. they were pretty good.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #186
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
haha its alriiiiight im only having you on. they were pretty good.
I did not mean to come off pissy, it was the best of the two songs I could recognize of theirs at this point. Feel free to recommend an album though.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #187
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Sorry to be the one jerk who forgot about it!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #188
Andy /

thanks fer nothin, ya jerk

Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #189
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

i have not really had a chance to give my mix a good listen... will posta review some time this week

Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #190
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Listened to mine 3 times all the way through, short version is I like it for it's weirdness mostly. Long version when I get a chance to go through track by track.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #191
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irridescent Fairysex View Post
Oh and btw, commando, that's what I would have said if I had done your mix.
ha ha... nice. Did you get a bigger laugh out of my response or the people rushing to your defense?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #192
slunken
Virgo

Talking

Quote:
I liked maybe 1/4 of the songs on my mix but I at least stated a reason why I liked or disliked songs on there so as to not offend the person who made it.
Hey fukk you asshole don't drag me into this

Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #193
Shapan
Socialphobic

damn this thread has died down a bit

my review will be in by weekend along with a bunch of other reviews hopefully.

also bummer talk show host was the dbag deadbeat his mix probably wouldve been good

Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #194
Nimrod's Son

1. No idea who this band is, but the track has a real 90's indie rock sound to it. Good guitars, a bit of a Dinosaur Jr. sound to it. Not a bad album opener.
2. this is either in another language or sung by someone with a severe speech impediment. I'll go with the former. Poppy - it sounds almost like the soundtrack to an Anime show. Probably not something I'd listen to again, but somewhat interesting.
3. Is this a lesbian ode to lost love? It's not bad... somewhat like... semi-acoustic punk. The instrumental parts sound a little like the "King of the Hill" theme though. Not bad but honestly I think it would be a little better if it were slowed down a little and the drummer wasn't on speed.
4. This is a cover of Live Forever by Oasis... which I find better than the original because I fucking can't stand Oasis. The whistling in this song hurts my ears. I would probably never listen to this again, but then again as I said I hate Oasis.
5. No idea who or what this is. The vocalist is terrible and the background is just noise. Insipid lyrics. Not a fan.
6. Hmm. A female with a thick accent singing a generic pop-indie-rock track. Noise-quiet-noise. Somewhat dull.
7. Haha, POTUSA. I haven't heard "Kitty" in forever. I listened all the way through with a smile on my face just because it brings me back a long way. Good break of the album.
8. Didn't like this song at all. Whiny British(?) lazy rock. Least favorite track so far.
9. Lyrics are basically just repeated cliches. Not something I really enjoyed, particularly because of the lyrics and the poor vocals.
10. I've heard this song before... but it's a cover of the original I'd heard. Not terrible. I like the horns.
11. Better. Has somewhat of a Juliana Hatfield vibe to it. I can dig this.
12. Fairly standard prog-rock. Not bad, sounds like the type of song that would sound better live. Kinda like if U2 and Death Cab had a baby.
13. Yet another track where I can like the music but not like the singer/lyrics. It seems I might like a lot of these bands better with a different front man.
14. This song is OK. Not really my type of music, though...
15. I don't want to sound repetitive but... well, the mix is somewhat repetitive in that so many of these songs sound the same or similar. Female singer, generic college rock.
16. More heavy guitars with a poor vocal performance. Seriously, the music part is ok and again reminiscent of Dinorsaur Jr, but I'm not feeling this track either. Sorry.
17. A change of pace slightly... another track I'm not too fond of though.
18. Ok, definitely a departure from the previous monotony. This is the best track in a while. Has a real 90's feel to it but is a lot more melodic than most of the other tracks.
19. Not bad, very British. Female singer. Might want to hear more by this artist.
20. Ballad. Somewhat Oasis-ish. Not my cup of tea.
21. Best track in a while... probably the hardest song in the mix.

I don't want to rip on this mix too much, as this person obviously has their musical taste and I have mine... however I wish there had been more variety in here. It was a bit too homogeneous for my taste. There's very little on here that I'd listen to again, although I think the lack of variety may have hurt the mix more than anything.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #195
shannon
Minion of Satan

I wish my person would review my mixie

Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #196
Irridescent Fairysex
glug glug glug

First of all, thanks for the mix. I enjoyed it.

The grammatically correct Iridescent Mix with my avatar as the album cover was a nice touch. I think you had a problem with removing the tags but it's all right.

01 Orange Shirt by Discovery

This was the first time I listened to Discovery, I'd been meaning to check them out but never did. Pretty good electronic pop song.

02 Tegucigalpa by Fruit Bats

Never heard this band before. I like the song, reminds me a bit of Jack White and maybe the Fiery Furnaces.

Nice straight-classic rocker.

04 Unreal is Here by Chavez

It had been a long time since I listened to any Chavez, I really like this song, love the guitars.

05 Hello Brooklyn by The Beastie Boys

I started to laugh when this song came up, this song also starts a very fun (and my favorite) section of the mix.

06 Mis Amigos by The Dandy Warhols

Not a big fan of the band but this song surprised me. Very good, catchy and fun.

07 Mikey Rocks by The Cool Kids

Very stripped down hip hop song. Interesting.

08 I Feel for You by Chaka Khan

This is just plain awesome, words can't describe this beauty of a song.

Computer Love, I don't know why I haven't heard this song before. Shubi do ba I wanna love you. Great silly song. This marks the end of this particular section of the mix.

10 That Man Jumped Out the Window by Cloud Cult

Never heard this band before, but it's good stuff if a little cheesy and emo-like. I actually really liked it, reminds me a bit of the paper chase. Will check them out.

11 Breathe Me by Sia

This could be played over some emotional scene between two lesbian lovers kiss in Grey's Anatomy. I know that breasts and piano do not equal Tori Amos and maybe such a comparison would be unfair so I won't do it. Still liked it somewhat too. Must be my 10% gay part.

12 Stillnes is the Move by the Dirty Projectors

I still haven't listened to Bitte Orca, this song makes me want to download it and give it a good listen. Very, very good.

13 Moving, Shaking by the Great Lake Swimmers

I like the guitar and the atmosphere of the song but that's pretty much it.

14 I'm Confused by the Handsome Furs

I liked it, nice singing voice. I think the execution is greater than the substance though.

15 Only If You Run by Julian Plenti

I wasn't very motivated to listen to the new album from this interpol dude but I like this song and will do.

16 Everyone I Know is Listening to Crunk by Lightspeed Champion

Very interesting and dynamic song, great production. This song won me over after some initial doubts.

This somehow reminded me of The Wrens a little. Nice little song.

18 Roses in the Snow by Papa M

I love this song and whatever, mortal. Nice addition.

19 Chicago X 12 by Rogue Wave

A little gay. Not in the good way. Not my cup of tea sorry.

20 Say Yes by Elliot Smith

Great song, it closes the mix in a good way. My favorite of the mix.

I had a good time listening to this mix. A lot of variety and good fun. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #197
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

....and in an M. Night Shyamalan-esque twist.... I am the author of your mix.

Sounds like it was a success and, as per usual, I know I could really knock one out of the park based on the preferences you stated in your feedback.

Sorry about the tagging-- I usually don't have a problem, but I tried a little shortcut on itunes that apparently didn't work. Oh well-- just takes the guesswork out I s'pose.

the cuts that weren't tagged:

03 Going to Hell by The Brian Jonestown Massacre-- I don't know why I added it, but it seemed to be a natural fit somehow.

09 Computer Love by Zapp & Roger-- an old school favorite. Glad you dug it.

17 She Won't Change by Neva Dinova-- a completely underrated band. I love about everything they do.

The only one you didn't like was the Rogue Wave, which surprises me a little, b/c they're one of the most likable bands in my arsenal... hmmm I think I would sub that with another one of their cuts that is a bit less twee.

Anyway, glad the mix was a success! Cheers.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #198
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
10 That Man Jumped Out the Window by Cloud Cult

Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #199
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Well, I've listened to mine about 4-ish times all the way through in various scenarios (car, gym, work) but the first time is always what you remember, and the first time I played the mix I it was around 2 AM was grinding it out in Final Fantasy XII in a level in the "Feywood" (teehee. Fey.) where it's all white mist and monsters coming out of it and ancient ruins litter the landscape. Therefore, every time I listen to this that scenario is always stuck in my head. And lemmie tells ya, it actually works better and certainly isn't as irritating as the in-game music. Overall, as mentioned above, I like the mix even if it gets a little weird for the sake of weird, but, hell, I ain't gonna complain about that.

Track 1 - Mellow, orchestral strings, just a few seconds. Very moody, somewhat dark and plays great for Final Fantasy.

Track 2 - Another darkly orchestral bit, also just a few seconds, with the odd burst of piercing strings with a low, menacing thrum. I'm serious, you listen to this playing FF12 and it works perfectly.

Track 3 - I get a smile out of this. I don't think it's very musical, in fact it kind of sounds like a bunch of meth-heads trying to play the guitar over a drum sample and getting distracted by meth and some possibly British dude rambling off the top of his head, but THAT'S why I kinda dig it! It's like the start of a jam that never quite lifts off the ground. Entertaining in a WTF kind of way.

Track 4 - "I am the Dice Man" old school rock n' roll style riff, and catchier than a case of Paris Hilton herpes. And that's pretty goddamn catchy! A lot of the tunes on the mix have a bit of a New Wave vibe to 'em.

Track 5 - Is this a harpsichord? Kind of bouncy but gothic. You know that episode of Star Trek when Kirk and Co. are kidnapped by Trelane and he acts like an old-timey Lord? Trelane would play this.

Track 6 - some scary ambient music of a woman singing in god-knows-what language (is it Elvish?) Sounds great when you're playing FF12 and you look at a stone and it says "Wordless voices echo in your head...", not so great when you're trying to use the exercise bike. Props for something different.

Track 7 - my favourite track on the whole mix, very upbeat, good guitar and driving . No idea who it is, but this seems like the "real" start to the mix, the rest were just attempts and preamble. The chorus is great. And, to drive the FF12 anecdote into the ground, the chorus goes "we wouldn't even show up on radar". And, in that FF12 level, you can't use your radar because it's scrambled. And the enemies don't even show up on radar. No shit. Can't make this stuff up, kids!

Track 8 - A very fast piano based riff where the drum kicks in a little bit later. Kind of repetitive but the riff drives into your skull, especially around the :45 sec mark.

Track 9 - another instrumental, but this one isn't as catchy as the last one. Sounds like a xylophone being pinged on. Works for FF12, though.

Track 10 - Very New Wave style tune. The outro is amazing. I dig this one. It builds to it very naturally. "An evening of fun and yeahgh blah blah your DREYAM!" or something. It goes off the rails at the very end there but in an interestingly strange way.

Track 11 - This is a bit overtly gothy and menacing but I like it, even if it is a bit too long without much change. "And in that HEATHEN LIGHT I caught your name" (or it may be "healing light" but I'm 99% sure it's heathen) But I found myself singing this one to myself just because it's so damn doom and gloom that you get a smile and it sticks in your head. Seriously Funny line is something like "Heathen Jesus was their only son." Which I get a chuckle out of because you'd figure the guy would introduce himself something like, "Hi my name is Heathen Jesus. You know, like Jesus. But a heathen." Don't fuck with that guy.

Track 12 - I think this is the same orchestral band from track 6 cause of the woman's vocals (I think the tag was on it, not in front of me now), but I like how somewhat sad it is. Sort of a somewhat synth-y, somewhat melancholy riff drives the song and the woman's vocals and some off-tempo pianos dance around it. Somehow it all holds together.

Track 13 - Instrumental track again, a few discordant violins and darkly sounding pianos. Kind of like a funeral dirge. You have no idea how well this works when some giant insect is kicking your party's ass.

Track 14 - A bit too techno-y for my tastes. But it's pleasantly inoffensive. If I was in the Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and I was taking a chick out for a hot night on the town, this would play during that montage.

Track 15 - Geez, did someone forget to unplug their amp after a show? I guess there's a melody in here but it's hard to tell amongst the fuzz. At least it's over relatively quick.

Track 16 - Okay, this totally sounds like something from A Link to the Past when you have to go to Agahnim's before you go into the dark world. Therefore I like it. It probably isn't, but that's how I view it.

Track 17 - this is about the closest to a metal / heavy rock song on the whole mix but I'll take it. Great song to drive fast to (I was hauling ass to the movies last night when this was blaring). Dig the guy's vocals and the orchestral section works well with the guitar riff. Neat scream at the end. Like this tune, even if it is a hair too long.

Track 18 - Sounds like a buzz-ier version of SP's "Sinfony" with an interlude from ... god knows what that instrument is. Strange. Not terrible, not amazing, just strange.

Track 19 - Ah, the track that won't play on either my mp3-compatible CD player or in Winamp. It works on Windows Media Player. Not near my computer now so I can't re-listen to it. Only heard it once, wasn't a big fan and didn't make much of an impression. I

Track 20 - sounds like someone tuning a radio and just picking up static and some scary piano music. Neat, low key slightly odd closing track.

So, overall, I did like it even if it was a bit overtly "out-there". Nothing wrong with that. Could stand to be a bit longer and needs an infusion of metal, but we all need to be a bit longer and an infusion of metal in our lives. But it has a discernible atmospheric dark vibe. Moody. I enjoyed. And, once again, track 7 is awesome, and string together all of the ambient noise tracks for some FF12 grinding and it works great.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #200
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

I've tried to get through my mix a couple times but I just can't do it. I hate to be that guy but I can't think of anything nice to say about it.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #201
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly View Post
Well, I've listened to mine about 4-ish times all the way through in various scenarios (car, gym, work) but the first time is always what you remember, and the first time I played the mix I it was around 2 AM was grinding it out in Final Fantasy XII in a level in the "Feywood" (teehee. Fey.) where it's all white mist and monsters coming out of it and ancient ruins litter the landscape. Therefore, every time I listen to this that scenario is always stuck in my head. And lemmie tells ya, it actually works better and certainly isn't as irritating as the in-game music. Overall, as mentioned above, I like the mix even if it gets a little weird for the sake of weird, but, hell, I ain't gonna complain about that.

Track 1 - Mellow, orchestral strings, just a few seconds. Very moody, somewhat dark and plays great for Final Fantasy.

Track 2 - Another darkly orchestral bit, also just a few seconds, with the odd burst of piercing strings with a low, menacing thrum. I'm serious, you listen to this playing FF12 and it works perfectly.

Track 3 - I get a smile out of this. I don't think it's very musical, in fact it kind of sounds like a bunch of meth-heads trying to play the guitar over a drum sample and getting distracted by meth and some possibly British dude rambling off the top of his head, but THAT'S why I kinda dig it! It's like the start of a jam that never quite lifts off the ground. Entertaining in a WTF kind of way.

Track 4 - "I am the Dice Man" old school rock n' roll style riff, and catchier than a case of Paris Hilton herpes. And that's pretty goddamn catchy! A lot of the tunes on the mix have a bit of a New Wave vibe to 'em.

Track 5 - Is this a harpsichord? Kind of bouncy but gothic. You know that episode of Star Trek when Kirk and Co. are kidnapped by Trelane and he acts like an old-timey Lord? Trelane would play this.

Track 6 - some scary ambient music of a woman singing in god-knows-what language (is it Elvish?) Sounds great when you're playing FF12 and you look at a stone and it says "Wordless voices echo in your head...", not so great when you're trying to use the exercise bike. Props for something different.

Track 7 - my favourite track on the whole mix, very upbeat, good guitar and driving . No idea who it is, but this seems like the "real" start to the mix, the rest were just attempts and preamble. The chorus is great. And, to drive the FF12 anecdote into the ground, the chorus goes "we wouldn't even show up on radar". And, in that FF12 level, you can't use your radar because it's scrambled. And the enemies don't even show up on radar. No shit. Can't make this stuff up, kids!

Track 8 - A very fast piano based riff where the drum kicks in a little bit later. Kind of repetitive but the riff drives into your skull, especially around the :45 sec mark.

Track 9 - another instrumental, but this one isn't as catchy as the last one. Sounds like a xylophone being pinged on. Works for FF12, though.

Track 10 - Very New Wave style tune. The outro is amazing. I dig this one. It builds to it very naturally. "An evening of fun and yeahgh blah blah your DREYAM!" or something. It goes off the rails at the very end there but in an interestingly strange way.

Track 11 - This is a bit overtly gothy and menacing but I like it, even if it is a bit too long without much change. "And in that HEATHEN LIGHT I caught your name" (or it may be "healing light" but I'm 99% sure it's heathen) But I found myself singing this one to myself just because it's so damn doom and gloom that you get a smile and it sticks in your head. Seriously Funny line is something like "Heathen Jesus was their only son." Which I get a chuckle out of because you'd figure the guy would introduce himself something like, "Hi my name is Heathen Jesus. You know, like Jesus. But a heathen." Don't fuck with that guy.

Track 12 - I think this is the same orchestral band from track 6 cause of the woman's vocals (I think the tag was on it, not in front of me now), but I like how somewhat sad it is. Sort of a somewhat synth-y, somewhat melancholy riff drives the song and the woman's vocals and some off-tempo pianos dance around it. Somehow it all holds together.

Track 13 - Instrumental track again, a few discordant violins and darkly sounding pianos. Kind of like a funeral dirge. You have no idea how well this works when some giant insect is kicking your party's ass.

Track 14 - A bit too techno-y for my tastes. But it's pleasantly inoffensive. If I was in the Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and I was taking a chick out for a hot night on the town, this would play during that montage.

Track 15 - Geez, did someone forget to unplug their amp after a show? I guess there's a melody in here but it's hard to tell amongst the fuzz. At least it's over relatively quick.

Track 16 - Okay, this totally sounds like something from A Link to the Past when you have to go to Agahnim's before you go into the dark world. Therefore I like it. It probably isn't, but that's how I view it.

Track 17 - this is about the closest to a metal / heavy rock song on the whole mix but I'll take it. Great song to drive fast to (I was hauling ass to the movies last night when this was blaring). Dig the guy's vocals and the orchestral section works well with the guitar riff. Neat scream at the end. Like this tune, even if it is a hair too long.

Track 18 - Sounds like a buzz-ier version of SP's "Sinfony" with an interlude from ... god knows what that instrument is. Strange. Not terrible, not amazing, just strange.

Track 19 - Ah, the track that won't play on either my mp3-compatible CD player or in Winamp. It works on Windows Media Player. Not near my computer now so I can't re-listen to it. Only heard it once, wasn't a big fan and didn't make much of an impression. I

Track 20 - sounds like someone tuning a radio and just picking up static and some scary piano music. Neat, low key slightly odd closing track.

So, overall, I did like it even if it was a bit overtly "out-there". Nothing wrong with that. Could stand to be a bit longer and needs an infusion of metal, but we all need to be a bit longer and an infusion of metal in our lives. But it has a discernible atmospheric dark vibe. Moody. I enjoyed. And, once again, track 7 is awesome, and string together all of the ambient noise tracks for some FF12 grinding and it works great.
Thanks for the review, nice to see it had reasonable effect. I didn't really give a shit about ordered musicality of this mix per se, the menacing atmosphere was a purpose unto itself. You are missing one track which is a shame, it was one of myne that cut noisely/eerily through an earlier section of the mix, but oh well. This is the last one I make, so im glad it went to someone who had the time for it. Also FFXII is good, glad that you appreciated this in that kind of environment.

Now

1. Masanori Adachi, Sotaro Tojima - Demon Castle Dracula (Castlevania IV)
2. Deadeyes (snigger) - Something Stirs
3. Pil - Track 8
4. The Fall - Dice Man
5. Deadeyes - Silena's Eclipse
6. The Legendary Pink Dots - Femme Mirage
7. Luxuria - Against The Past
8. And Also The Trees - Tremendous risk for Mr Ferdico
9. Hiroki Kikuta - Ceremony (Secret Of Mana)
10. Wire - On Returning
11. (Should have been) Deadeyes - Stranger in the Evening Desert Sandstorm
12. Julian Cope - The Shipwreck of St. Paul
13. The Legendary Pink Dots - Agape
14. Deadeyes - Entreat of the silent
15. Keith Canisius - Far From
16. Deadeyes - Future Ancient
17. Masanori Adachi, Sotaro Tojima - Room Of Close Associates
18. Killing Joke - Invocation
19. ShelleyDevoto - Strain Of Bacteria
20. Magazine - Cut Out Shapes
21. Helios - Getting Through

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #202
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan patrick View Post
I've tried to get through my mix a couple times but I just can't do it. I hate to be that guy but I can't think of anything nice to say about it.
i kinda feel the same way.

mine had a modest mouse song and a built to spill song that i knew and liked. and a bunch of stuff that was really bad. a lot of it was kinda screamo-y sounding. all of it was pretty generic and unmemorable. oh and a wesley willis track. pretty bad. i thought that track 17, the second of two instrumentals that sound like they were by some emo/screamo/hardcore/punk/whatever outfit, like a lot of songs on the album, was good onetime when it came on shuffle when i was hanging out with a friend. so when i got home i listened closer and it wasn't really too my taste. i guess i was mistaken.

pretty much everything on here was not the type of music i'd get into. thanks for trying though.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #203
Mo
Immortal

Smile

First of all, I'm writing this last version of my review while having quite a high fever, so forgive me if I'm not making sense...

Whoever made my mix - you forgot to remove ALL the tags and file names. But not to worry: With MP3Tag I managed to delete/change them before I could read more than one or two. Still - tsk :D

01. I know this is Austrian Death Machine. I read it, and it reminded me that I actually downloaded their Christmas album once. Nice choice, good intro. And who doesn't love Jingle Bells? Plus I love the break at around 1:45.

02. Very NWBHM-y, and thanks to the over-the-top screaming I could only make out like four or five words. I don't usually listen to music like this very often, but when I do it get's me fucking PUMPED. This is now my get-up-your-ass-and-out-to-work song - so, thanks, I guess. Sounds like a mix between Manowar and Maiden.

03. Hm, why not, hard rock is okay as well, I guess. At least this guy's actually singing half of the time. Catchy riff, very headbangy, interestingly much to my liking. Good song, I'm surprised I actually like this.

04. Feedback, feedback, feedback... oh, here we go. A slight change in style with this one, less metal-y. And I'm pretty sure I've heard this before. "Condoleeza"? Yeah, of course I know this one. Makes me wanna sing along.

05. Scotty Doesn't Know? Seriously? LOL. Yeah, brings out the 15-year-old in me. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had secretly liked this song ever since I saw that fucking Eurotrip flick. The funny thing it that I'm actually torn over this one. I mean, it's annoying bubble punk, but -much like blink182- the vibe's alright.

06. Hm. Tricky. I really like the mood and the guitars here, but it's a bit over-the-top. Like some high school rock band suddenly trying to write ballads. Yeah, that's pretty much what it sounds like. Also, I believe I've heard this before. The ending makes up for their stupid voice(s?) at the beginning, but the synthie strings hurt my ears...

7. Heh, took me a while to recognize this one. And only the fact that I have a crush on Neil Patrick Harris makes up for the, literally, horrible music ;) Awesome!

8. Wonderful, e-bowy Wish You Were Here cover. Perfect.

9. A fantastic Set The Ray To Jerry cover. Her voice sounds familiar, but I have no idea who would cover a Pumpkins b-side. Anyway, I love it.

10. Right on, CAKE. I can get behind that. I dig the relaxing effect this song always has on me.

11. Hm. Who's this? Neil Young covering the Stones? "As Tears Go By" never did much for me. But again, it carries a certain vibe that I like in this version.

12. The Frames - Say It To Me Now. One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. Fantastic choice, the mix progresses nicely. This is the Hansard solo version though, right? Awesome.

13. Okay, I hate this song. It was almost funny the first time I heard it, but I hate the voice (Who is that clown? Adam Sandler?), and it's all-around unoriginal. But hey, I'm picky when it comes to novelty tracks.

14. "Even Hitler had a girlfriend"? Hm. Nice try, but as much as I am for acoustic tracks, this also doesn't do much for me, I'm sorry.

15. Oh, looky here. I love, love, love Shatners solo album. Instantly made me smile. Weirdly picks up the "narrative vibe" that got lost after track 12.

16. Andy Samberg? LOL. What the fuck? Only works for me because it's less than two minutes long. But, funny enough, even though it absolutely kills the mood, which was probably the point.

17. I... don't know what to say. 80ies synthie pop goes Atari? Angry men from Australia grunting? 83 completely irritating seconds.

18. Fuck, I know this one. [...] I played parts of this mix to my dad, and he said this was originally by Gary Newman. A Foo Fighters cover, maybe?

19. System Of A Down, right? Wow, this must be from after Toxicity, the last SOAD-record I enjoyed. But I like it. What's it called?

20. What an awesome intro! Took me a while to recognize the Mars Volta. "The Pioneers", right? Yeah, his voice kills this track, as always. Still, good choice.

21. Whoa there, hardcore. Nice riff(s), but I don't understand one word. Hey, they're singing, too! Not particularly my cup of tea, but it got a neat groove. So, why not. Neat outro.

22. Another novelty song. A nice reminder of our mortality. Hm, good enough last track, even though it's nothing special. The kids choir is a nice touch. Merry Christmas to you too.

Thanks for this great mix. I'm not sure if you wanted to tease or test me with tracks 13, 14 and 22, but other than that I loved it. Can't wait to find out some of the artists.
So, now I'm going back to bed.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #204
Mo
Immortal

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself! View Post
Mo put me off these for life cause he's scum!!!!
I believe I found your mix yesterday, so you'll probably have the full review soon. And only fifteen years late!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #205
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

<3

Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #206
shannon
Minion of Satan

Quote:
05 Hello Brooklyn by The Beastie Boys
nice!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #207
Nimrod's Son

So.. who made my mix?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #208
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan patrick View Post
I had a pretty good mix started before the PMs were sent out, but I figured you would've been way too familiar with most the songs, so I just threw this one together. It was a few songs that I thought went well together, but then it just got retarded closer to the deadline. But your comment still hurts bro, I threw up twice already.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #209
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

anyway...
Male Nurse - My Own Private Patrick Swayze
Beastie Boys - Cookiepuss
3 Teens Kill 4 - Hunger
Better Beatles - Penny Lane
Michael Walter - Downtown
Crude - Summer pt. 1
Microphones - Square Face
Kleenex Girl Wonder - I Cut Myself In Half
Nice - Circuit Diagram
Kill me Tomorrow - Liason
Black Cat #13 - Silencer Enjoy
Dropping a Popped Locket - High Five (Live)
Asian Women on the Telephone - I don't know, something Russian that wasn't translated on my comp
Devo - Secret Agent Man (Video Version)
Matrix Metals - Ray Ban Meltdown

Old 10-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #210
mistle
bonnie stars

i like the idea of making a mix like this, but it'd probably be too hard and i'd have a miserable time