Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #241
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
i've been known to feel horrible right after.
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #242
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

YEah that too actually.

But hey maybe they should have had more self esteem and went with somebody else.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #243
slunken
Virgo

maybe you fear loss of control and then feel guilty about it

Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #244
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I do fear loss of control yes. That's why i can't do drugs or alcohol

Old 03-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #245
slunken
Virgo

i now have 30 out of 35 g. andrews films dating 1999-2011, after which he took a couple years off from making movies. i have a handful after the break but so i far i mostly enjoy the older ones. his middle period is fantastic circa 05/06.

last night i watched "grandpa" from 2003 it was pretty out there

Quote:
“After a fall at a local bar, an elderly alcoholic asks his adult grandsons for one last favor. Seems several years ago he took five hookers to a remote hotel suite known as the Pony Room and spent the entire evening satisfying their every need. Now, nearing death and continuously soused to the gills, he wants Ed and Burt to take him back there for a weekend of reminiscing. The road trip will be difficult, especially with Grandpa’s lack of control (bowel or otherwise), but what waits there is even more disconcerting – a cursed can of chicken noodle soup.” (review excerpt by Bill Gibron)

Old 03-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #246
slunken
Virgo

dad's chicken (2003)

Quote:
“Black Jesus just can’t take it any more. He hates his dying wife and his transsexual son – but not for the reasons you think. She won’t let him obsessively cut coupons, and he/she fetishizes guns to the point of distraction. His other daughter is a dope fiend, and his recently deceased father was an out and out pervert. And don’t even bring up autistic child prodigy Hobie. Desperate to play the violin, the partially blind boy spends his days roaming around the city, instrument in hand and toilet paper tube up to his bad eye. When the youthful talent meets European Ernie, it seems like everything will be all right. He coaches the child, and even suggests someone who might be able to teach him a thing or two. In the meantime, Mom and the sexually confused Shamu build a bomb. With Black Jesus out of the house, they intend to avenge the cultural attacks on religion once and for all.” (review excerpt by Bill Gibron)

Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #247
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Jason X

I can't give it a score, but this film is a ton of fun. Jason destroying a frozen face is probably among the top 10 best deaths in Friday the 13th films

Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #248
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Kill the Messenger
cant rate it, the film isn't really well-made, but the story is interesting enough to make up for it. I had no idea who Gary Webb was or knew anything about the entire "Dark Allience" topic.

something to think about.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #249
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The Monuments Men F

this movie sucks. i lasted all of five minutes (insert hilarious that's what she said joke here)

Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #250
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

inside llewyn davis

i had never heard about this movie until catching it on cable. it's a coen bros film. honestly pretty good. there are a lot of great moments on it, some redundant ones, and an ending that reveals there was no plot at all to the movie. that's fine by me but the ending could have been less abrupt maybe. it's a really musical film though and a lot more 'real' at that than say, whiplash, which was the classic hollywood narrative only with a drummer lead character. it's probably the best fictional film about musicians that i've ever seen. recommended

Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #251
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

We should have a thread called rate the last movie you din't watch where we just review movies without seeing them just going by the title and the actors or director or whatever..

Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 AM   #252
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Presume Coupable (Guilty in english)

Caught just now on tv. It's a movie about the Outreau trial ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outreau_trial ). A case of false accusations of pedophilia. French justice system sucks. A travesty. Would recommend.

8/10

Old 03-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #253
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

"Maps to the Stars"

I rate this 3 out of 5 stars. Not Cronenberg's best work, but still worth watching. Mildly entertaining. It has the signature plodding pace that is part of so many of Cronenberg's films. Casting saves it from getting a lower rating. Julian Moore, John Cussak and Mia Wasikowska do a great job. As also does Evan Bird who plays a child star in the film.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 03-15-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #254
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

"The Brood"

I'd never seen this one. Hulu has it in their Criterion Collection. In terms of a Cronenberg film I'd also rate it a 3 out of 5. It's quintessential Cronenberg and entertaining if a bit slow. But I was bothered by the misogyenistic treatment of "female hysteria" which is a huge part of the plot.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 03-15-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #255
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I watched the brood again around xmas with M who'd never seen it. Hadn't seen it since the late 90's. And yeah cronenberg wrote and made this when he was getting divorced. If you choose to forget about that part, it's pretty fun(ny). Kinda ridiculous but in a good way. When she licks the baby....

Old 03-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #256
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i like the idea or someone's emotions manifesting as a Golem of sorts. ONe that act on the emotions that people can't because of emotional blocks, norms, laws, etc.

But I find the way he used the wife, who's being treated for hysteria, as a kind of demonic womb was stupid. Her character was one dimenshional. it would have been more interesting if she'd been a more flushed out and deeper character in the film.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #257
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

"Scanners"

Another Cronenberg film. I hadn't seen this one since the 80s and remembered almost nothing about it. Not one of my favorite of his films. Michael Ironside seemed to be playing himself, like he does in every movie he appears in. It kind of bothered me that the guy playing the male lead looks like Zachary Levi who stared in the TV show Chuck. My biggest issues with the film, though, was the completely unrealistic use of computers and what I felt was an unbelievable set up for the lead character at the start of the film.

If I was going to contrast his character arc I think a better example would be Dennis Quaid's character in "Dreamscape".

Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #258
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

It's true about Ironside but he's still a canadian institution.

Just yesterday by chance i happened to see two movies he was in back to back as i was switching the channels in search of something to watch.

An ex of mine who once worked in casting said he was a very friendly and lovely man. Which is funny considering he always plays the worst fucking assholes. but to be expected, otherwise he wouldn't have had the long career he's had (even if most of it was spent playing in shit)

Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #259
brutechinasky
Demi-God

watched (in descending order of preference)
nightcrawler
birdman
whiplash

gyllenhaal deserved at least a nomination at the oscars

Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #260
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

attempted to watch "Banshee Chapter" and couldn't get past the first 60 minutes. Horrible

Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #261
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

we watched a documentary called "stevie" by the director of hoop dreams. it was about him reconnecting with a boy he'd been a big brother for years earlier in southern illinois. it was pretty heartbreaking and i enjoyed it quite a bit.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #262
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Song of the Sea - gorgeous

amazing artwork, intelligent and cute story, fine soundtrack from Lisa Hannigan.
can't remember the last animated film I enjoyed that much.
would buy again.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #263
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Woah, that looks amazing.
Added to my list

Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #264
pavementtune

how long is your list? mine keeps getting longer instead of shorter...

also didn't we have a tv shows megathread or something?

someone explain The Leftovers to me.
I feel like watching Lost all over again (only better.)
Some seriously fucked up shit in there.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #265
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's ridiculously long at this point. I recently got a bunch of asian horror films and i've yet to see one.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #266
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
someone explain The Leftovers to me.
I feel like watching Lost all over again (only better.)
Some seriously fucked up shit in there.
Are you asking cause you watched it and didn't get it or cause you haven't and you want to know what its about?

I liked it but it better have a decent payoff unlike lost. Probably won't though.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 AM   #267
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Gone Girl

pretty fucking great! ben affleck wasn't the best casting job ever but he wasn't bad enough to spoil it. it's really well written. had me completely in the dark, i didn't know where it was going to go at any given minute of the movie. there is some spot on commentary on the media, news coverage, gender roles and what it's like to be in a relationship that you compromised on.
i really enjoyed it but there is just something i can't put my finger on that made it not be one of those movies you're just floored by. maybe ben affleck.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #268
pavementtune

Default SPOILERS: The Leftovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Are you asking cause you watched it and didn't get it or cause you haven't and you want to know what its about?

I liked it but it better have a decent payoff unlike lost. Probably won't though.
seen it, and wonder if they haven't given certain clues yet, or if I've missed those.
oddly enough nobody I mentioned it to has seen more than the pilot.

- guilty remnants: they spend a ton of cash, who is financing them?

- boss of the guilty r: she admits to have been responsible for killing one of her own.
yet when they all went looking for that woman and eventually find her dead on a tree, nobody was expecting it. so boss Patti didn't tell anyone what she was doing, not even Laurie?

- the white cop shirts: weren't in the dry cleaners or stolen, Justin Theroux finds them in the woods. all 8, each one tuck to another tree (and two pair of boots next to a campire.) so he's been there 8 times before without remembering it. what was he doing?

- cop dad: the voices he's hearing, is the actual source of it revealed?

- what metaphors are the mad dogs (and deer) supposed to resemble?

fuck it, it's been a while that a tv series actually drew me into some psycho plot.
I agree, they better not mess with the plot in the second season. waaaaaaaalt! all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Gone Girl

pretty fucking great!
worth watching for Rosamund Pike alone, she's damn great.

Last edited by pavementtune : 03-24-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #269
bye june
Ownz

The Blair Witch Project - I got so spooked. B+

Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #270
Starla

The discoverers .... it was ok. It had a few moments but all in all I was bored.