Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #61
slunken
Virgo

Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #62
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Oscars - 2/5

Boring, long, slow and the wrong film won best film (the only category I kinda care about)
Scarlett Johansson's hair was pretty boss though.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #63
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I've never seen the Indiana Jones movies and now B is trying to get me to watch them
Temple of Doom is the best one. Anyone who says otherwise is an enemy and a terrorist.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #64
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

But in #3 you have Sean Connery

Old 02-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #65
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
But in #3 you have Sean Connery
The only great thing about that film was him and his relationship with Indy. That was wonderful. Everything else was

Old 02-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #66
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Rewatched the lord of the rings trilogy. Felt pretty good, although the Aragon/Arwen stuff and some other extra-textural bits annoyed me. And New Zealand is a bit too sunny and gorgeous to be middle earth in the winter of the third age.

Man I wish all them cool battles wouldnta been so choppily edited. Left with sorta a blur in the mind.

But they clearly spent a lotta dough and worked pretty hard and at least they didn't totally drop the ball.

Fellowship 8/10
Towers 6/10
King 7/10

Old 02-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #67
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i used to have the biggest crush on guiseppe andrews. big childhood crush, y0.

so gross now because my little brother looks like him. especially in detroit rock city.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #68
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's Ray View Post
The only great thing about that film was him and his relationship with Indy. That was wonderful. Everything else was
3rd is my favorite.....

2nd is the worst. Well not counting the 4th which no one is. But i mean Kate Capshaw is annoying as fuck, the movie is horribly racist (thanks to lucas who is really kind of a stupid fuck) and that's without mentioning fucking short round.

The first well..the thing that happened is somehow as a kid i mainly got to see the second and third a lot. So the first while obviously good an probably the best didn't really stick with me caue i may have only seen it perhaps twice as a kid.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #69
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

ugh i just saw you said temple of doom IS the best. So so wrong...

As a kid i didn't mind it but then i grew up and realised how horrible every character in this movie is and the sheer fucking offensive (perhaps willfull) ignorance in portraying india and hinduism as they do. The whole dinner scene is just cringe worthy. Spielberg at least should have known better.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #70
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Raiders - Crusade - Doom is the only acceptable way to rank the Indy films. But they are all watchable and good movies in their own right.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #71
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

when i was a kid i thought temple of doom was awesome.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #72
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders and all prequels suck by default.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #73
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Nup...
Temple -> raiders -> crusade.

Temple is a masterpiece. It is the only true "horror adventure" film ever made and likely to ever be made by mainstream cinema. Everything that people hate about it is what makes it work for me. I mean yeah, capshaw is annoying but I love short round. And where else can you watch an adventure film where the hero drinks blood from a human skull, people casually eat monkey brains over dinner (yum yum!), child abuse runs rampant, and my favourite, a man gets his
Heart ripped out before meeting his demise in a fiery flamey pit of death...! :yay! D

Also, it felt like an adventure film with a very ethnic setting- crusade felt like a boring run of the mill action film with an adventure tacked on at the end... And don't get me started on the stupidity of the Grail, ugh...

Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #74
Order 66
Socialphobic

if this were five years ago i'd type out several paragraphs about each of the indy's movie's strenghts, even crystal skull. i grew up with those movies so i had a really idealized view of them all

then one day i saw raiders for the first time in forever and realized every subsequent movie was a cartoon version of raiders

Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #75
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's Ray View Post

Also, it felt like an adventure film with a very ethnic setting-.

Yeah and they shat all over it.

even Spielberg considers Doom to be the worst one of the first 3.

It was my intro to indy so i should like it better.

how can you like shortround? Hes a stupid annoying character, the kind Lucas excels at. He's essentially jar jar binks.

Children should be kept out of film as much as possible. Even when i was a kid i hated him. I don't need a surrogate, all i need is to imagine i'll grow up to be just like indy.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:19 AM   #76
Elphenor
Braindead

I've never seen one of those movies doesn't seem like my thing

Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #77
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Some people will say you're missing out but the truth is the indy films, if you didnt see them as a kid you probably won't really get it.

You'll be like yeah it was alright but.... insert shrugging smilie here.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:22 AM   #78
Elphenor
Braindead

My only childhood memory of it is DisneyLand where the ride traumatized me

Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #79
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

It's kin alike this classic this way:

I liked this a lot more than any Indy films as a kid.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #80
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Its kinda ingenious because you think Jack Burton is the hero but he's not, he's the sidekick, the hero is the chinese "sidekick". the trailer probably should have told people that, apparently audiences didn't get it which is why it had to become a cult film, it didnt do well in theaters. Would that carpenter always have remained the b movie genius he once was.

But probably if you didnt see it as a kid...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #81
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
My only childhood memory of it is DisneyLand where the ride traumatized me
I took only one ride in my life, well rollercoaster. It was Top Gun, the place was six flags around cincinnati, the year was 2001. I hated every second of it and never went in any rollercoaster since. And i like Top Gun.

well....like.... it's a horrible film tied to my childhood. I have no choice but to at least ironically enjoy it. Machines of war are sexy. But war isn't. Thank god for video games.

anyway what im saying is...you shouldnt let that sway your opinion.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 AM   #82
kelsome
Apocalyptic Poster

Nightcrawler. i liked it. 4.5/5

Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #83
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Elysium - total piece of shit. or maybe i'm an old man who doesn't like action movies anymore i dunno

can someone recommend a really good action film you can unwind to

Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #84
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

No Elysisum wasn't very good. I had some hope because i DID like District 9 and it looked alright to me in the genre from the trailers. It failed a lot. I'm guessing Blonkamp only had one good movie to make considering how lame chappy looks.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #85
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Yeah and they shat all over it.

even Spielberg considers Doom to be the worst one of the first 3.

It was my intro to indy so i should like it better.

how can you like shortround? Hes a stupid annoying character, the kind Lucas excels at. He's essentially jar jar binks.

Children should be kept out of film as much as possible. Even when i was a kid i hated him. I don't need a surrogate, all i need is to imagine i'll grow up to be just like indy.
Spielberg??? Pfft! He's an ass... What the hell does he know about film making...?
Short round doesn't annoy me like Jar Jar! I get what you mean about annoying kids and all and yeah Lucas does excel at little bastard kid characters but I give him a pass on Short round... even as an adult, I still like him a lot; especially the card playing scene when Wiley is freaking out.

Also, I think my love for him comes from Goonies as well. He plays the little Asian stereotype so well that I just wanna pinch his little Asian cheeks.

Quote:
Some people will say you're missing out but the truth is the indy films, if you didnt see them as a kid you probably won't really get it.

You'll be like yeah it was alright but.... insert shrugging smilie here.
Yeah I agree. Its a shame really. Adventure films of today are a pale comparison. Even the Mummy films which were hyped to the fuck as being the "Next Indy's" were shite in comparison.

Also, I really wish the Mummy films hadn't come out because I would have LOVED to see an Indy film in an Egyptian setting...

Quote:
Its kinda ingenious because you think Jack Burton is the hero but he's not, he's the sidekick, the hero is the chinese "sidekick". the trailer probably should have told people that, apparently audiences didn't get it which is why it had to become a cult film, it didnt do well in theaters. Would that carpenter always have remained the b movie genius he once was.

But probably if you didnt see it as a kid...
This is by far my fav John Carpenter film. I think his Horror is overrated (with the exception of "the Thing" which is a masterpiece) and I really wish he would go back and make a sequel set in todays day with Russell and Catrall back as well as wang. With the cultish love that it has today, I think it would be a hit - kinda like how Austin Powers was underappreciated at the box office in the first outing and then went spastic when the sequel came out with all the cult love it experienced on DVD...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #86
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

The Thing is not just great horror, it's great period no matter the genre. I dare say it's better than Alien. Too bad it isn't as popular.

I wish someone good would have done the prequel because i always thought it had potential as an idea. Of course though....one of the problem you have with a prequel is...we already know what is gonna happen and what the alien is (well...not really i guess but...) and what it can do...

I saw this movie in the early 90s on late night tv by accident and had never heard of it then and didn't know anything at all about the plot, didn't even get the title becuse i was just seconds too late to catch it. It was a remarkable experience to have. Just that opening with the chopper and the dog...sometimes i think that's how we should all experience some films. No context, no vague idea what its about or even the genre and perhaps even...no title.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #87
slunken
Virgo

a fun fact about giuseppe andrews that a lot of people may have forgotten is that he was in the videos for 1979 and Perfect.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #88
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Babadook - 5/5

This weird film is super weird, and creepy and oh my god how will I sleep tonight?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:13 PM   #89
Elphenor
Braindead

That was really good

Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #90
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Citizenfour - 8.5/10

[Rec] - wasn't able to finish it. so pretty high on my horror scale

Last edited by pavementtune : 02-25-2015 at 05:27 PM.