Just Hook it to My Veins!

even better than secret of kells

Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #422
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Mad Max: Fury Road

My exact thoughts after I left the theater:

"That just happened."

Enjoyably over-the-top, creative stuntwork (almost all of it was done without CGI, so bonus points there), thrilling action, creative production design, some surprisingly decent acting...this movie oozes joyous, ridiculous entertainment. Only complaint was they could have expounded a little more about the world in general, but that's a minor quibble. It's here, it's entertaining as shit, get your ass to a theater and watch it.

A-

Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #423
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

It Follows

finally saw it, pretty damn good.
should keep an eye on whatever the director/writer does next, this was apparently only his second film.

deserves all the praise it gets, also thanks to the fantastic Disasterpiece soundtrack - 8/10

Old 05-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #424
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Going through the American classic back catalogue to watch ones that I haven't, yet:

It's actually a real pleasure to watch these two, together. Their sort of comedy is nearly dead now. B+

Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #425
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road

My exact thoughts after I left the theater:

"That just happened."

Enjoyably over-the-top, creative stuntwork (almost all of it was done without CGI, so bonus points there), thrilling action, creative production design, some surprisingly decent acting...this movie oozes joyous, ridiculous entertainment. Only complaint was they could have expounded a little more about the world in general, but that's a minor quibble. It's here, it's entertaining as shit, get your ass to a theater and watch it.

A-

Good... I was worried I wasn't going to like it. I'm a huge beyond thunderdome fan as well.. I think it's just a childhood thing, and didn't want to see the next one all screwed up.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 AM   #426
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
It Follows

finally saw it, pretty damn good.
should keep an eye on whatever the director/writer does next, this was apparently only his second film.

deserves all the praise it gets, also thanks to the fantastic Disasterpiece soundtrack - 8/10
I'm looking fwd to this one too.

So I went to see Second Best Marigold hotel.. mainly because I love Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Dev Patel... and anything that takes place in India since I'm planning a trip there. If you want to get sad.. then watch this. It was just depressing..... even the wedding that takes place in this couldn't lighten the mood. It was all about planning for the end and dying and I wasn't in the mood for that yesterday.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #427
Starla

I guess another M Night film is coming this fall.. and it doesn't look that promising. He hasn't really done anything that great in so many years I've given up hope for this guy.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #428
FoolofaTook

i am downloading an old sherlock holmes series from the 40s.

should be good watching for rainy days and tea.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #429
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
about 2/3 of the way through this - had to take a break

Old 05-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #430
FoolofaTook

u think this a game, bitch?

u think i'm playing?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #431
Mayfuck
Banned

age of ultron was whatever. i hate the whole snappy, cocky, "witty" one liner dialogue in the midst of chaotic battle scenes thing. i don't think any of the characters actually had one conversation with each other. is this why people like joss whedon or whatever his name is? i dont watch tv shows or super hero movies but i bet they are all like this.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #432
Mooney
Socialphobic

i've never heard of there being one-liners in action movies before. must be a new fad.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #433
Mayfuck
Banned

but see i thought joss whedon was supposed to be a good writer

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #434
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

he is if you watch his tv shoes and his characters have convos with each other

there are lots of one liners tho

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #435
Trotskilicious
Banned

season 2 of firefly lets make it happen

first ep is jaynes funeral

Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 AM   #436
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
i've never heard of there being one-liners in action movies before. must be a new fad.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:30 AM   #437
Trotskilicious
Banned

god you just find the most awful stuff, is it irony?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #438
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Fun fact: In french he says Yippie Ki yay pauvre con. Translates to basically , poor idiot.

Really has the same impact as motherfucker doesn't it?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #439
hnibos
Braindead

Nope

Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #440
FoolofaTook

r u in isis?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #441
hnibos
Braindead

What makes you say that?

Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #442
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Avengers 2

4/10

Somewhat pretty to look at and some cool stuff happening on the screen. Took me 30 minutes to figure out what was going on.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #443
Trotskilicious
Banned

superhero movies have reached their limit

Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #444
buzzard
Minion of Satan

So long as it can be filmed in a warehouse with mediocre actors and about an acre of bright green cloth, I'm not sure it'll ever go away. It's like the film equivalent to laptop and vocal booth music.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #445
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Mad Max: Fury Road enrages Men's Rights Activists who claim they are being duped into watching 'feminist propaganda'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10249443.html

Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #446
Shallowed
Braindead

Saw Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck at the cinema last week. The use of Kurt's own art and journal scribblings throughout was really cool. The way the whole thing is put together is like an audio-visual montage in itself, with bits and pieces flying past the screen and various recordings cutting in and out like someone cycling through radio channels. Lots of different kinds of media are employed in ways that you don't typically see in docos, like Kurt's home demo recordings being used as a background for an animated imagination of the scene.

The interviews are kept to a minimum screen limited to a handful of people who were the closest to him in his life, and are portrayed very starkly against the chaos of the rest of the doco. It's quite a dynamic effect.

Most refreshingly, the doco doesn't attempt to deify Kurt like so many other retrospections do, and attempts to get in his head, to try and understand him. However, it struck me as odd that from the get go, we are shown how much of a privileged upbringing he had, it makes me feel like the way everyone connects his troubled childhood to his artistic talents is overblown, when there are so many artists who were far less privileged than he was, and just as talented as he was, who don't get the same kind of status that Kurt has. Kurt's parents divorced and he was bullied and alienated at school, but how many documentaries are out there that celebrate other artists like this one?

The second half got increasingly uncomfortable to watch as we delved into more and more intimate parts of Kurt's life. I would even say it got too intimate at certain points. I really didn't need to see Courtney's tits that many times. The part where Francis was getting her hair cut was especially awful, with Kurt irritatingly denying that he was "on drugs" and that he was "just tired", and then punches Courtney in the arm and jokes to the camera, "see? I'm a wife beater!" with Francis sitting on his knee all the while. I don't understand what all that was for, I mean what the hell was Kurt trying to prove with that joke? It was a private home video, and obviously wasn't being broadcast to anyone that accused him of being a wife beater at the time. Same with Kurt and Courtney pretending they're going through awful withdrawals, and just continually playing down their drug problems like it's a big fucking joke, it really got to me. Again, all this plays a part in not deifying Kurt, but I think this part was overdone.

We were also treated to an interview with the director after the credits, who to me looked like he was trying to emulate Kurt's dour aura in his own appearance, and took himself way too seriously.

Overall I give it three and a half pairs of Courtney's tits out of five. Stylistically innovative, but the usage of content could have done with some more critical editing.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #447
Eulogy
huh

Just came here to say I'm very excited for fury road

Old 05-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #448
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road enrages Men's Rights Activists who claim they are being duped into watching 'feminist propaganda'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10249443.html
...da fuq??

Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 AM   #449
Shallowed
Braindead

Aside from the fact that it's been getting a lot of good reviews, I'm considering going to see Mad Max just because it's pissing off MRA types.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #450
Trotskilicious
Banned

i love charlize theron and that's why i want to see it because she looks so fucking bad ass in it