Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #121
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I disabled my account in 2012-2013. People would actively confront me about why. Or be suspicious that I did not have one

I had to re-enable just to keep from being the target of passive aggressive behavior. Yes, before you mention it, I do need new friends. But they know not what they do.

It's like if I chose not to eat ham sandwiches, why would you think I am in judgment of your ham sandwich?

Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #122
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Hay guys made a ham sandwich! Here are some pics!

Actually that would be cool.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #123
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I guess that's why I never had a Facebook account. I don't have any interest in people showing off to me how good they look or how much fun they had, nor do I have any interest in showing other people what I did because... why the hell would they care? Maybe that's self-centered of me, but I don't care to advertise my life to anyone.
i've said before that it's like a digital rolodex. everyone uses it, so it's often the best way to keep in touch with people, and if you subscribe to all the local venues it's easy to track which bands are coming to town.

i dunno, it's all kind of self contained. i've been trying to scroll past the ragebait though and avoid interacting with randos the accompanying comment sections. that's often my weakness.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #124
Eulogy
huh

I don't have nearly as many email addresses as I do facebook contacts. For whatever reason. So if I need to reach a large number, it's probably the best way to go. Maybe.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #125
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I guess that's why I never had a Facebook account. I don't have any interest in people showing off to me how good they look or how much fun they had, nor do I have any interest in showing other people what I did because... why the hell would they care? Maybe that's self-centered of me, but I don't care to advertise my life to anyone.

I said that recently but when i check my ex friends who still have me on their fb friendlist (i haven't actually used fb in 6 years or so) it just makes me feel absolutely horrible about my life. Like i'll see people who ten years ago i thought probably had about as bright a future as i was bound to have (meaning not much of one) and i look them up now and they have this amazing apartment have went back to and graduated form college ( surprising in itself when they used to be unable to keep a job for over a week) and just started their own business.... it's really really really fucking depressing. I need to stop doing this to myself.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #126
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i've said before that it's like a digital rolodex. everyone uses it, so it's often the best way to keep in touch with people, and if you subscribe to all the local venues it's easy to track which bands are coming to town.

i dunno, it's all kind of self contained. i've been trying to scroll past the ragebait though and avoid interacting with randos the accompanying comment sections. that's often my weakness.
That's a fair point, and because in a pre-smart-phone-and-Google-calendar era it was more difficult to be up to speed on what relevant people are doing and relevant/interesting events are around. So maybe it had a purpose other than pic show off time.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #127
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
and if you subscribe to all the local venues it's easy to track which bands are coming to town.

yea, plus while I did not have any fb profile whatsoever, I ended up standing at venues - alone - for rescheduled or cancelled gigs. it drove me mad.

apparently fb is the only way now ticket holders get any relevant info regarding concerts. for that alone I keep my profile, no more snow storm trips to find out - hey, they rescheduled after all!

Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #128
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I said that recently but when i check my ex friends who still have me on their fb friendlist (i haven't actually used fb in 6 years or so) it just makes me feel absolutely horrible about my life. Like i'll see people who ten years ago i thought probably had about as bright a future as i was bound to have (meaning not much of one) and i look them up now and they have this amazing apartment have went back to and graduated form college ( surprising in itself when they used to be unable to keep a job for over a week) and just started their own business.... it's really really really fucking depressing. I need to stop doing this to myself.
my perspective on that is if your life is that perfect, or you're trying to pretend that it is, i don't really want to know you better.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #129
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I think they do that so your facebook friends don't pop up for you.
It's solely to verify your identity.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #130
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
It's solely to verify your identity.
You sure? I am something like 75% sure it also weeds out your friends.

Actually wait maybe I'm not. Now Im trying to remember why I thought that and I cant

Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #131
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

It's for both

Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #132
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Too many damn friends. Give me a dozen good friends and everybody in life can eat my ass and balls. Yeah I'm an asshole big whoop wanna fight about it?

I like coming here though. And I'll probably continue posting pics of myself here. :3

Old 06-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #133
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
my perspective on that is if your life is that perfect, or you're trying to pretend that it is, i don't really want to know you better.
also the specific examples he shared sounded like "how to spin your life 101" what kind of business? envelope licking? cororate synergy? professional pet sitting?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #134
Trotskilicious
Banned

graduating from college is often a noose, btw, not an accomplisment. if they went back after all these years to finish their art history degree feel free to snort dirisively

most ppl just want positivity instead of realness. they much rather you spin renting a dilapidated shotgun shack as realizing one of your dreams and checking off something on your bucket list instead of saying "heres the shithole i live in, i pay too much and the landlord is absentee, pool is in the back but mind the heroin needles"

i prefer realness which is why my fb is practically a netphorian affair

Old 06-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #135
mpp
Minion of Satan

i always felt like i was "too old" for fb but most folks i know have it

Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #136
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
also the specific examples he shared sounded like "how to spin your life 101" what kind of business? envelope licking? cororate synergy? professional pet sitting?
she has a website, it's organic beauty products...........yeah i know. Whaddafuckinghipster. It's all very professional looking though, website and products, you don't get that on a tiny budget.

I have to say I'm suspicious that she got to do all this because she may have a well off partner/bf.... i mean were talking about a girl from a lower class monoparental (is that a word in english) background who used to be a complete fuckup and sorta abused both alcohol and drugs. She was always good at networking/sucking up to the right people though... i'm not even judging her for it really, when you've got nothing you've got to do what you can to get out of the gutter. i guess i'm just jealous at how successful at that she's been.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #137
Trotskilicious
Banned

ypud be surprised with how little slick graphic design costs. sounds like a very typical loser business

Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #138
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

ironically after months of bots and non-responders a girl proactively matched and messaged me during responding to this thread. she likes tea and meditating and working out and is also a nerd so probably doesnt suck as much as other hot people. wish me luck folks

Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #139
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
and if you subscribe to all the local venues it's easy to track which bands are coming to town.
This plus follow the bands I like (to know when they release new music or tour) is probably the only reason I haven't deactivated my profile permanently.

If there was a website that was big and populated and bands of all stripes kept it updated and it focused solely on bands - news and tour info - I'd ditch FB, no question.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #140
D.
Consume my pants.

I mean, it's good to follow local stuff so I can see all the free shit to do with V. but I don't necessarily need FB for that.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #141
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
ironically after months of bots and non-responders a girl proactively matched and messaged me during responding to this thread. she likes tea and meditating and working out and is also a nerd so probably doesnt suck as much as other hot people. wish me luck folks
Don't get herpes

Old 06-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #142
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

http://forums.netphoria.org/customav...ar13686_23.gif

Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #143
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
This plus follow the bands I like (to know when they release new music or tour) is probably the only reason I haven't deactivated my profile permanently.

If there was a website that was big and populated and bands of all stripes kept it updated and it focused solely on bands - news and tour info - I'd ditch FB, no question.
Let's do it.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #144
Eulogy
huh

Isn't that what bandsintown purports to be?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #145
D.
Consume my pants.

This about as close as there is right now.they don't post about new music releases though.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #146
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

see in 2002 i left netphoria for a canadian indie music forum on which there was a montrealshows forum on which pretty much every single show happening in montreal was listed in a comprehensive anner by dedicated people doing it for free (there was also such a forum on that site for every major canadian cities). i made many friends there and the site lived on through different names and incarnation and owners until like 2010 when it was finally shut down for good. Because allegedly people didnt need this anymore because FB

a few months back I'm looking to see if something similar exists nowadays and find that someone started a kickstarter to revive the montrealshows messageboard. Essentially stating that FB never really properly replaced it.

FB killed forums and messageboards....except it seems a lot worse at doing what they did. Plus there is the whole loss of anonymity....

what i'm saying i think it's time forums/messageboards make a come back.

And fuck the kids. It's all their fault. Billy understands.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #147
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
ypud be surprised with how little slick graphic design costs. sounds like a very typical loser business
WHATEVER ITS STILL MORE THAN I'VE EVER ACHIEVED

don't try to lessen my feelings of inadequacy please. i wont let anyone take that away from me.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #148
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
Don't get herpes
i texted with a girl from okc who told me the following things:

1. just got out of jail
2. was for aggravated assault
3. on pressing, she revealed it was for smashing a bottle on a girls head and slitting her throat with it
4. had herpes

I was very entertained but #4 extinguished the .01% chance that I was going to hang out with this person

Old 06-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #149
Eulogy
huh

Herpes shouldn't be a disqualifier. Certainly not more of one than someone having slit someone's throat or smashed a bottle on someone's head.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #150
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

She was a heroin addict too

It was more than compounding of factors than anything. But would you really choose to hang out with someone from an online dating site that brought up the herp within 10 mins?