Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #91
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Maybe they will but I don't know, they were a great band from 1988-2000. They could reunite but it wouldn't be the same

Old 10-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #92
Ram27
who's jimmy

My least favorite thing is talking about success or the industry climate or the music scene or C random band you've never heard of

Give me 80 more Cupid anecdotes instead of this high school drama horseshit

Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #93
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

yeah, it's beyond exhausting to hear these guys pat themselves on the back. Then to add this whole we were playing characters and messing with your mind layer on top makes listening to them downright unbearable

Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #94
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I don’t understand why Corgan always talks about it like a business

I know IT IS, but make it a little less obvious your entire goal was to sell records

I walked down the aisle to Tonight Tonight and the more he talks about the “business” makes me feel gross that like, takes away from the importance of the lyrics

Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #95
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

He just retroactively makes me hate these songs I grew up on
It’s like SD was the only organic album he made, everything else was just business

Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #96
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Billy is bitter, about exactly what I couldn't say, but for whatever reason he feels the need to try to ruin his great records saying tons of messed up stuff about them. The business, the characters I was playing, the band didn't really exist, etc., etc. Luckily for us even he can't ruin all the great stuff the band did.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #97
Run To Me
Minion of Satan

Ok from these summaries i am ready to confirm i will never listen to this

Ok someone threw a guitar at an amp, yay. Anything else we should carry forward or is it just going to ruin all my last few precious memories of ninps’s nupitals

Old 10-24-2020, 10:44 PM   #98
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I wouldn't encourage anyone to listen to this. This is lower than 3 star album or rudest man in rock, way lower, way more depressing.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #99
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is basically the McDonald Trump of music making. You can tell they have similar motives and always lying about things and always fixated on themselves. Billy is more of a promotor of bullshit (which is not a good thing) and a showman (which can sometimes be a good thing) at this point.

Last edited by enthusaroo : 10-24-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #100
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

1. fuck the toase haters. belongs on mcis

2. if someone can point me to timestamps of insanity i would watch but no way i'm watching otherwise. i'll let you guys handle it

Old 10-25-2020, 02:19 AM   #101
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

No matter what the interviewer in all these situations nods in approval on all of that nonsense. Someone should challenge them for once, and just tell them like "dudes, people love your music, they love your band, there's no reason for this weird insecurity and animosity

Old 10-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #102
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Why would an interviewer ever say that

Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #103
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

because if they don't and allow Billy and Jimmy to blab on then the interview is ruined

Old 10-25-2020, 03:00 AM   #104
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

You people really are sick and have brain problems.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #105
Ram27
who's jimmy

i skipped around this for 5 minutes

it's such a strange mix of disappointing, boring, dry, depressing, confusing, and sad

Old 10-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #106
Ram27
who's jimmy

i will jump off the oceania tower if i have to listen to another fucking shitty zoom-artifact laden audio track ever again

Old 10-25-2020, 04:43 AM   #107
Ram27
who's jimmy

<----

Old 10-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #108
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i listened to about the first hour while doing some stuff around the house yesterday.
this is tehbolly here LIVE to giving you a confessional rambling ghost review-report of BC JC INTERVIEW.

first of all, why is everybody here just mindlessly ripping them apart? powerful dunning-kruger stench in here.

this was a decent listen.
i don't give a rat's ass about the music anymore and haven't for years, but i'm interested in the personalities.

billiam was an old man and had multiple difficulties operating a pc with a webcam, lolol. at one point he turned off his video feed and then switched it back on and it fucked up the correct ordering of the windows, which was hilarious.

but it was good to see how BC and JC kinda kept soliciting each other to speak or reminisce about something, and answered questions rather equally. you could tell how their relationship had grown and evolved. they really seem to respect each other. they spoke of each other's strengths and BC titled JC "a partner".

it also sounded like BC is finally recognizing, slightly, that he had been needlessly bitter, and that he can celebrate the fact that his band ever reached that kind of success at all.

he's still a narcissist, so there's limited bandwidth to be had there to resolutions like that. a common speaking pattern for him in relation to any question or topic, is to relate to things in terms of others wrongly attacking him or complaining about something he did ("everybody hated us for releasing that song at the time"), and then what he did to set that straight. it's just sad to see how psychologically damaged and helpless he really is in the face of the kind of attention he has gotten in his life, but all in all he seems healthier and in better spirits than i'd seen him for many years.

i found it interesting when he mentioned very honestly, that all those original SP run records were written as if from the point of view of a "character", and not directly about his own person. he said that he himself would never have been strong enough to present his own exposed self. he said something along the lines of, what he writes is sort of fiction relating to a character that is not personally him - but it all draws heavily from his experiences. but when people criticize SD lyrics, they still weren't criticizing "him", because he was putting forward a character so that that could be sacrificed.

it's interesting to hear him say that; SP music is obviously highly personal. it does cut very deep, but it's interesting to hear the author acknowledge that there's still a certain distinct and existent distance between the "real" him and all those songs.

either way, jimmy also agreed there and said the reason he had done drugs was to insulate himself from the stresses of success.

BC/JC also discussed the recording of MCIS, and how they are used to ridiculous workloads of working on multiple dozens of songs simultaneously. jimmy said Jellybelly was the most difficult song he had to record (ram do NOT jack off to this post). billy said he went SD mode for Ruby and recorded nearly all the guitars in like 4 hours due to deadline pressures.

JC nicely stated that being in the band brought something out of all of them, that made them hold themselves to a higher standard as people and musicians. bruce was nodding his head profusely.

both BC and JC that the group were essentially "pranksters", which basically means punk rock assholes i guess, and said they got a kick out of deliberately defying expectations. they'd "fuck with reporters" by acting like a dysfunctional band on purpose during interviews. they also said they did MCIS so impressionistically and more live-sounding is because it was sort of an antithesis to SD.
SD was the perfect snapshot of their peak youths, produced to make them look and sound perfect. then for MCIS they said "ok now let's do imperfect". i thought that was frankly f cool as hell. great band.

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 10-25-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #109
Ram27
who's jimmy

presenting MCIS as the foil to SD is incredible, and makes more and more sense the more i think about it. SD feels so sunny and warm and gazy, two girls playing on the porch on the cover...and MCIS is darker, angrier, more raw, half step down, woman in a starship to cyber-metal land

Old 10-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #110
Ram27
who's jimmy

i definitely remember an interview in amsterdam, where jimmy was acting like...total bro dude baseball cap man

Old 10-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #111
MyKeyZ
Ownz

With all this character playing bullshit and we were just pretending to be a dysfunctional band in interviews, was the Billy versus D'arcy reunion tour feud all part of their game then?

Or how about Billy discrediting and shitting on the rest of the band in the reissue credits?

I don't fall for this retconning of the past, it was all a character nonsense. I think there was only one album where Billy pushed a character/story, and that was Machina, which all fell apart and was the beginning of the end.

I don't see the difference between this character and Billy. Billy says and does pretentious shit on stage just as he does in real life.

Also, Shiny tour was the return of this Zero/Glass character? Then why release a shitty electro solo album as the Shiny sequel if Shiny was all a part of it? But now this NEXT album will actually be the real sequel of Zero/Glass, not the shitty Shiny EP and Billy shitty electro solo album? What a load of pretentious horseshit.

Also, MC and Machina, Flood was a big part of their sound, but not involved with the sequel album.

Zero gave us Mellon Collie and Glass gave us Machina, so then I can just blame Billy for the shitty albums that have come in between Machina and the sequel album? Or was that also some new shitty character called Hasbeen that he invented?

I don't give a shit about made up characters. Just write a good album with an ounce of emotion.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 10-25-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #112
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

tehbolly’s review is accurate. It wasn’t a bad interview and I don’t really recall Billy or Jimmy saying anything that crazy or acting arrogant at all.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #113
myosis
Minion of Satan

yes i think we could instead stop listening to the constant whining of the 4-5 everlasting whiners in this thread

Old 10-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #114
dustrocck
Demi-God

I've always been fascinated by the interplay between labels and producers and artists.

I don't think there's many artists out there, even Bowie-level, who don't need reality checks or a sounding board.

Billy complaining about producers somehow co-opting their sound. Sure, okay..

Even decisions like putting Bullet as the first single instead of Jellybelly is exactly the correct decision, though I think Jellybelly is a better song. Not as good a single though.

I remember Damon Albarn recalling giving EMI what they thought was the finished Modern Life Is Rubbish and they said "are you kidding me, write a single for us" and he pounded out For Tomorrow and Chemical World in like 34 hours.

This concept of the artist as auteur who needs to work without criticism or influence from others is just so hilariously wrong to me, but Billy obviously believes it.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #115
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I am whining but it was very frustrating to listen to. MyKeyZ puts it pretty well in that Billy was retconning the past. No matter what anyone thinks of the band now, it would have been nice and even healing in certain ways if they just sat down and just remembered the good times, laughed about some stuff, whatever. The playing characters stuff is totally false, and coming from Billy its especially ridiculous. Sorry, but he's not and never has been Marilyn Manson, where part of the band's energy is the provocation and what an individual's reaction says about them. This has never been an aspect of SP and I don't know why Billy has become so fixated on it and tries to insist that it is. Sure, it's a creative endeavor so some of what he writes will be putting himself in another person's shoes to explore new territory, but that's nothing new and that's not really fooling anybody. Eddie Vedder wrote Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town but we all understand Eddie is not actually that elderly woman behind the counter. I get Billy didn't live every lyric he wrote and I certainly never expected him to, but what it is upsetting I've always loved SP because of their sincerity and emotion, not because provocation or sensationalism. I can listen to Marillyn Manson for that.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #116
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
both BC and JC that the group were essentially "pranksters", which basically means punk rock assholes i guess, and said they got a kick out of deliberately defying expectations. they'd "fuck with reporters" by acting like a dysfunctional band on purpose during interviews.
"Remember when I ODed with our touring keyboardist and he died?"

"Haha, yeah, epic prank, bro."

Old 10-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #117
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Top seven alternative-rock pranks GONE WRONG

Old 10-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #118
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I remember one interview where Billy is being difficult and is sitting with the rest of the band, it's the one where he jokes about James being the antichrist or whatever. There's another with Dave Fanning where the interview is in a hotel room overseas and the band seems exhausted from touring, they seem slightly aggravated and impatient but nothing more than that. Other than that, in the other interviews everyone comes across well and Billy makes a point of saying the band gets along well and has gotten past their past problems. I can't remember exactly but I think he also says the problems were exaggerated by the media. So I don't understand where the narrative is coming from in the recent interview

Old 10-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #119
Ram27
who's jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Also, Shiny tour was the return of this Zero/Glass character? Then why release a shitty electro solo album as the Shiny sequel if Shiny was all a part of it? But now this NEXT album will actually be the real sequel of Zero/Glass, not the shitty Shiny EP and Billy shitty electro solo album? What a load of pretentious horseshit.
i have no idea how anyone keeps track of this insane fucking spiderweb of shitty music and broken promises

Old 10-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #120
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's simple

If he's wearing a dress, he's Zero.