Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #91
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Eulogy, if I can make a suggestion which goes just beyond this argument, you would do well to realize that for virtually any issue, there are more than two binarily-opposed positions which can be held.
i know being condescending is like your jam

But fuck off

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #92
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I can't say I'm shocked that jczeroman supports a policy that disproportionately benefits rich people.
Let me reiterate.

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #93
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i know being condescending is like your jam

But fuck off
Sorry for telling you to fuck off. I'm trying to rein in my netphoria anger but sometimes it still spills out.

I think you're very wrong and that you're incapable of thinking in practical terms and that you bizarrely wear that flaw as a badge of honor

But I retract the "fuck off" part : /

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #94
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord
 
duovamp's Avatar
 
Location: heavy metal pool party
Posts: 35,522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Ok, so we all admit here that we are talking about a problem which does not exist in reality? Which is cool, but it's important we all understand this.
>>implying runaway capitalist abuse isn't a problem
>>2015
>>still on Adam Smith's balls




 
duovamp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #95
Elphenor
Braindead
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Shivers
Posts: 16,012
Default

We saw what they did to Netflix to get more money out of them and went holy shit we're next and that's why the gov made rules to prevent it

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #96
The Omega Concern
Banned
 
Location: stay, far, away
Posts: 8,997
Default

Any supporters of the current legislation care to explain specifically why they do? Kinda tough to went it hasn't been released yet. They're likely still writing it and made it public to see the blowback from those who know the score and how to circumvent the coming FCC takeover of the internet.

The educated douchebags who thought they were being so clever spelling out their plans allow the FCC on the fly to cover those loopholes with the legislation. IOW, even the truthers got played by this.

It's all a big psy-op to eventually shut down Truther sites because in the last decade in particular, the powers that be have had the damdest time with their false flags getting exposed.

 
The Omega Concern is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #97
Starla
*****
 
Starla's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,781
Default

We need to shut those "truther" sites down because they're spreading dangerous misinformation and propagating irrational mythical thinking. In fact, we need to round the people up that run these sites and question them... maybe impose some jail time or hefty fines when they misbehave.

 
Starla is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #98
Starla
*****
 
Starla's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post

It's all a big psy-op to eventually shut down Truther sites because in the last decade in particular, the powers that be have had the damdest time with their false flags getting exposed.
Alternative media IS the problem. It's creating division and distracting people from the truth. Do you honestly believe the government lies about everything? We need to get rid of all news stations and replace them with one state run television station that we can tune into to get our news. This would help clear up any misunderstandings and stop tea party types from dragging our country down further with their racist conspiracy nut job "news" like Breitbart, Alex Jones, Michael Savage etc. We really need to clean up the internet, starting with message forums and social media.

 
Starla is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:40 AM   #99
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

i wonder if he knows what psy op means at this point

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #100
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
um.. it is a problem. why do you think telecoms were pouring millions into lobbyists and lawsuits. to keep the status quo?
Who is suggesting that the ISPs wanted this regulation? Of course they don't want it and of course they imagine that they will be able to charge a premium to sites like netflix, youtube, etc. That doesn't equate to the doomsday slippery-slope abstraction that several people here are using to justify their position.

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #101
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I think you're very wrong and that you're incapable of thinking in practical terms and that you bizarrely wear that flaw as a badge of honor
I'm not sure what is "impractical" about arguing about the situation as it is *in reality* versus an imaginary world in which no one has internet access because it costs millions of dollars per user (not sure why barriers to internet access would be good for ISPs, but whatever...) and corporations censor half the content...

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #102
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,106
Default

Are you familiar with cable television companies

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #103
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,106
Default

And can you possibly present your opinions without being a condescending dick

Academics are pretty universally reviled for a reason. Congratulations on contributing to that.

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #104
Tchocky
Minion of Satan
 
Tchocky's Avatar
 
Location: Wher I en nd yu begn
Posts: 6,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Do you honestly believe the government lies about everything?
I think we all know Omega's answer to this question.




 
Tchocky is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #105
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Who is suggesting that the ISPs wanted this regulation? Of course they don't want it and of course they imagine that they will be able to charge a premium to sites like netflix, youtube, etc. That doesn't equate to the doomsday slippery-slope abstraction that several people here are using to justify their position.
the isps suggested this

stick to pie in the sky tgeoreticals, colin

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #106
Elphenor
Braindead
 
Elphenor's Avatar
 
Location: Shivers
Posts: 16,012
Default

Yeah those posts are nuts

 
Elphenor is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #107
hnibos
Braindead
 
hnibos's Avatar
 
Location: I was just reading, right?
Posts: 15,006
Default

I think she was being sarcastic

 
hnibos is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #108
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
And can you possibly present your opinions without being a condescending dick

Academics are pretty universally reviled for a reason. Congratulations on contributing to that.
I admit that years of being an academic have sucked out all the patience I used to have for the most repetitive/formulaic parts of arguments. No doubt this comes across as condescending. I'm afraid that you get trained to argue this way, probably because vitriolic arguments are about the only thing that make academic conferences worth attending.

Last edited by jczeroman : 03-14-2015 at 05:00 PM.

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #109
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
the isps suggested this

stick to pie in the sky tgeoreticals, colin
Ok, then. I guess I should pick the (stupid) slippery-slope counter-argument that fits the binary discourse that everyone wants to have:

net neutrality is good bad because the corporations government will make it cost more and censor it.

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #110
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

I realize it's *crazy*, but I don't like either the government or the corporations having power...

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #111
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is would you say its time for our readers to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside?

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #112
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Ok, then. I guess I should pick the (stupid) slippery-slope counter-argument that fits the binary discourse that everyone wants to have:

net neutrality is good bad because the corporations government will make it cost more and censor it.
EVERYTIME YOU SAY THIS IT PROVES YOURE NOT FUCKING GETTING IT

jesus fuck man

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #113
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

have you read anything about this or are you just assuming you know all about it?

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #114
Order 66
Socialphobic
 
Order 66's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
I realize it's *crazy*, but I don't like either the government or the corporations having power...
the internet being a public utility doesn't really give the government any "power" over it

 
Order 66 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #115
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

i love how his slippery slope argument re govt "control" over the net is terrible but were foolish chicken littles if we dont think telecoms should play favorites with websites and content providers

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #116
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

further who the fuck its the third alternative? swansonet local ethernet cable in now in as many as five pawnee homes

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #117
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
the internet being a public utility doesn't really give the government any "power" over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i love how his slippery slope argument re govt "control" over the net is terrible but were foolish chicken littles if we dont think telecoms should play favorites with websites and content providers
I was not making that statement in reference to NN. I'd like to think the size 100 statement I DID make about NN makes it clear that I don't think NN is about "government power" or "government control". I think I've made it clear that I think it is about picking one section of big business type elites instead of a different section of big business type elites.

But again, everyone here seems to want to have the asinine (and largely pointless) government vs. business argument. I just want to discuss things for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
EVERYTIME YOU SAY THIS IT PROVES YOURE NOT FUCKING GETTING IT
I'm glad to discuss what *is*. Tell me what I'm missing.

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #118
Order 66
Socialphobic
 
Order 66's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
everyone here seems to want to have the asinine (and largely pointless) government vs. business argument
where in the thread is anybody arguing this? seems like you're arguing with a bunch a strawmen for the sake of arguing

 
Order 66 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #119
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,641
Default

and hes still losing that argument lol

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #120
jczeroman
Socialphobic
 
jczeroman's Avatar
 
Location: In my house.
Posts: 14,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
where in the thread is anybody arguing this? seems like you're arguing with a bunch a strawmen for the sake of arguing
Half the thread is framed around the idea of state vs. capitalism, govt. vs. business, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Oh wait, that would blow.

But y'know...government evil, corporations good, because free market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
And if anyone were to actually open a superhighway for cancer researchers it would be the motherfucking government

Someone just kill me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
B...but Net Neutrality = Big government, and big government BAD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
The selective skepticism is so weird. Total trust in ISP's to do the right thing unregulated but no faith in the government whatsoever to do almost anything ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
When have businesses every pushed the limits of morality to abuse people and squeeze every last single hard-earned penny out of them? Come on guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Why have laws that prevent poisoning people? Businesses would never do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Why have laws that prevent abusing workers? Businesses would never do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
This is a very weak "free market solutions!!" argument

Look at cable television. Should the Internet be like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
>>implying runaway capitalist abuse isn't a problem
>>2015
>>still on Adam Smith's balls



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
Government should not regulate the web; ISPs should.

~ Every anti-NN argument on my Facebook feed so far in a nutshell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Well duh the market should always regulate itself the invisible hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i love how his slippery slope argument re govt "control" over the net is terrible but were foolish chicken littles if we dont think telecoms should play favorites with websites and content providers

 
jczeroman is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
net neutrality smurfing General Chat Archive 8 07-18-2007 10:24 PM
McCain on net neutrality ChrisChiasson General Chat Archive 1 05-30-2007 08:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019