Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #61
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
I see how this is *possibly* a problem if there were maybe one or two ISPs, but there are several and even in this instance, it looks like some tried to play hardball while others didn't. If anything, it seems to be like Netflix is the most evil company here. Why should a company which takes up the largest portion of bandwidth in the United States get to have that share of the market without paying a premium? I don't understand why Netflix shouldn't have to pay for dominating web traffic like that.
because that's how the internet works. you happy with how it is now? do you not want it to change? then you're for net neutrality

how would you feel if you clicked on a link on yahoo, or whatever you usually go to, and uh oh you need to pay a premium to go here. that's the precedent it sets

also you're on the side of lobbyists pouring money into the likes of ted cruz and john thune, fwiw

Old 02-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #62
Elphenor
Braindead

The selective skepticism is so weird. Total trust in ISP's to do the right thing unregulated but no faith in the government whatsoever to do almost anything ever

Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #63
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
because that's how the internet works. you happy with how it is now? do you not want it to change? then you're for net neutrality
I am happy with the way the internet is now, but I also do not believe there is anything *special* about the way it is now or that the internet "the way it is now" represents the peak of the internet.

Quote:
how would you feel if you clicked on a link on yahoo, or whatever you usually go to, and uh oh you need to pay a premium to go here. that's the precedent it sets
Convince me that this is even remotely in the realm of possibility. This is wild speculation and does little to convince me that net neutrality isn't about solving a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #64
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Yeah I mean who charges for micro transactions nowadays instead of a subscription program?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #65
Eulogy
huh

There are "several" ISPs

K

Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #66
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this was a big victory, if you want to know more abt why watch the john oliver thing that went viral and i think really helped galvanize the public abt this issue
Did you see the part where he dissed Sting?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #67
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
I am happy with the way the internet is now, but I also do not believe there is anything *special* about the way it is now or that the internet "the way it is now" represents the peak of the internet.

Convince me that this is even remotely in the realm of possibility. This is wild speculation and does little to convince me that net neutrality isn't about solving a problem that doesn't actually exist.
you really think no added costs would come down on consumers, i.e. regular people like you and me browsing the internet? because that's... naive. to put it nicely

NN isn't about "solving problems". what we have now *is* NN. if you'd rather have comcast, att, ect as arbiters of the internet, as opposed to now, where there essentially are none, then more power to you. but don't pretend like it wouldn't be a fundamental change

Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #68
Elphenor
Braindead

Basically what they would do is slow everyone's internet down and charge for a "faster" internet which would be the internet we have right now and there's nothing consumers would be able to do about it because the nature of utilities leads to very little competition

Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #69
jczeroman

Quote:
you really think no added costs would come down on consumers, i.e. regular people like you and me browsing the internet? because that's... naive. to put it nicely
Let me be clear: costs *should "come down to consumers". I don't just think that Netflix should pay, I think that people who use Netflix should pay. Of course costs of using up gobs of bandwidth would be borne by consumers. And let's remember that our Netflix example is the *only* real world example where such a thing was even remotely close to the realm of reality.

Quote:
NN isn't about "solving problems". what we have now *is* NN. if you'd rather have comcast, att, ect as arbiters of the internet, as opposed to now, where there essentially are none, then more power to you. but don't pretend like it wouldn't be a fundamental change
It is about "solving problems"; the problems associated with whatever completely unrealistic, bizarro-world abstraction that NN advocates are claiming *might* happen.

I mean, I'm normally the first person against reactive legislation once a problem already happens. I am also deeply concerned about ISP power. But I am thinking practically here, and I just don't see the concrete argument.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #70
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Basically what they would do is slow everyone's internet down and charge for a "faster" internet which would be the internet we have right now and there's nothing consumers would be able to do about it because the nature of utilities leads to very little competition
So you imagine: this is speculation.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #71
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
There are "several" ISPs

K
Obviously there are nasty ISP monopolies and semi-monopolies. Once can acknowledge and be against this without being *for NN.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #72
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
It is about "solving problems"; the problems associated with whatever completely unrealistic, bizarro-world abstraction that NN advocates are claiming *might* happen.
laws are to regulate what *might* happen. if the FCC allowed ISPs to not treat the internet as a public utility, its not some pie-in-the-sky assertion to suggest that they wouldn't

Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #73
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

When have businesses every pushed the limits of morality to abuse people and squeeze every last single hard-earned penny out of them? Come on guys.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #74
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Why have laws that prevent poisoning people? Businesses would never do that.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #75
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Why have laws that prevent abusing workers? Businesses would never do that.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #76
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

The burden of creating another WHOLE law, people. Oh the agony.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #77
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
So you imagine: this is speculation.
It would make the ISP's more money so you can pretty much guarantee that they would do it.

Are you really this naive?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #78
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Obviously there are nasty ISP monopolies and semi-monopolies. Once can acknowledge and be against this without being *for NN.
Not practically speaking one cannot.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #79
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
It would make the ISP's more money so you can pretty much guarantee that they would do it.

Would it though? If my ISP said they were going to significantly lower my bandwidth unless I'd pay more I'd either be screwed or would look elsewhere for a better deal because I don't want to pay anymore than I already do. I'd imagine a lot of people would feel that way.

Maybe me just accepting a lower bandwidth would make them more money.

Just playing devil's advocate

Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #80
Eulogy
huh

I can't say I'm shocked that jczeroman supports a policy that disproportionately benefits rich people.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #81
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
Would it though? If my ISP said they were going to significantly lower my bandwidth unless I'd pay more I'd either be screwed or would look elsewhere for a better deal because I don't want to pay anymore than I already do. I'd imagine a lot of people would feel that way.

Maybe me just accepting a lower bandwidth would make them more money. Just playing devil's advocate
This is a very weak "free market solutions!!" argument

Look at cable television. Should the Internet be like that?

Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #82
Elphenor
Braindead

The problem is, as I said, the nature of utilities leads to monopolies which is what we have with ISP's

You get like two choices in some places not even that.

And Internet has become essential to practically every household. You simply would have no other choice than to get screwed

Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #83
hnibos
Braindead

It is a little weird that he thinks it's bizarro world that an ISP would look into taking advantage of something like this.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #84
hnibos
Braindead

Quote:
This is a very weak "free market solutions!!" argument

Look at cable television. Should the Internet be like that?
Of course not. That would be very scary.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #85
jczeroman

Quote:
laws are to regulate what *might* happen. if the FCC allowed ISPs to not treat the internet as a public utility, its not some pie-in-the-sky assertion to suggest that they wouldn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
When have businesses every pushed the limits of morality to abuse people and squeeze every last single hard-earned penny out of them? Come on guys.
Quote:
Why have laws that prevent poisoning people? Businesses would never do that.
Quote:
Why have laws that prevent abusing workers? Businesses would never do that.
Quote:
The burden of creating another WHOLE law, people. Oh the agony.
Quote:

Ok, so we all admit here that we are talking about a problem which does not exist in reality? Which is cool, but it's important we all understand this.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #86
jczeroman

Quote:
Not practically speaking one cannot.
Eulogy, if I can make a suggestion which goes just beyond this argument, you would do well to realize that for virtually any issue, there are more than two binarily-opposed positions which can be held.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #87
Order 66
Socialphobic

um.. it is a problem. why do you think telecoms were pouring millions into lobbyists and lawsuits. to keep the status quo?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

have you guys noticed that dr ron swanson here consistently struggles with understanding current events?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #89
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Ok, so we all admit here that we are talking about a problem which does not exist in reality? Which is cool, but it's important we all understand this.

Net Neutrality: the mere term is doublespeak dressed as a psy-op. funneh how the same crowd wooed by "Yes We Can" and Obamacare fall in line on this one, without reading what the 300+ page document reveals.

suckers...

Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #90
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
have you guys noticed that dr ron swanson here consistently struggles with understanding current events?
we need to make a macro for him where he can argue for one side, another where he'll concede said side is wrong, the next where he somehow manages to extrapolate on how BOTH SIDES are wrong and we're idiots for taking a side and a final one where he takes his ball and goes home