Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-10-2003, 05:41 PM   #31
Mayfuck
Banned

The newer episodes seem funnier to me once they go on syndication. I'm not sure why. Is this the same for anyone else?

Old 11-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #32
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
I don't understand why everyone wants to "end it."

It's still better than any other comedy on TV, even if it's not as good as it used to be.

South Park and Family Guy are a lot better than the current Simpsons episodes. Actually, I even like current Malcolm in the Middle and King of the Hill better than current Simpsons.

King of the Hill is underrated.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #33
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate the Grate
I've loved the Simpson's my whole life, but I'm a little confused about when people talk about the "glory days" of the show. My favorite episodes were probably around the time of "Homerpalooza" (think 2nd half of the first episode guide). Were the "glory days" the first few seasons? Because I hate to break it to you, as much as I cherish them, they aren't exactly "laugh out loud" funny, like Family Guy is.

I think the show hasn't changed nearly as much people make it seem. It is definitely not "PAINFUL" to watch. Maybe it's a tad staler, but it's still basically the same show, and it's still funny.

(btw, the funniest show on TV right now has to be Reno 911!, bar none)
You were in diapers when the show premiered.

Maybe it doesn't make you laugh out louad because the sly cultural references from back then are lost on you because you weren't around to experience that day's culture.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #34
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck
The newer episodes seem funnier to me once they go on syndication. I'm not sure why. Is this the same for anyone else?
It's expectations. You don't have expectations for a rerun.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:35 PM   #35
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

great article-i never thought Simpson's jumped the shark myself ,but everyone i know who's a fan says otherwise:erm

also-never got into the Family Guy-Simpsons is much smarter.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:38 PM   #36
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

simspons haven't been as good as they used to, but there is still usually a few jokes i'll laugh out loud at. however it was only a couple of years ago that the brazil episode came out that episode had me

Old 11-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #37
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

People refer to the glory years when Conan O Brien was writing for the simpsons...NOt sure what seasons those were..but they were in the middle somewhere...(4-7? around there)

Old 11-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #38
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo
People refer to the glory years when Conan O Brien was writing for the simpsons...NOt sure what seasons those were..but they were in the middle somewhere...(4-7? around there)
I think he was only there for a year or two but late season 3 to 7, 8, 9ish are friggin where the gold Simpsons episodes are.

But did anybody catch this weeks episode? It was pretty good and very in tune with old school Simpsons - ie. it was a story about the family but not something completely bizzare and out there. Also Homer wasn't a raving lunactic, he actually loved his mom. Sprinkle in a little bit of social commentary ("the 60s - what a shrill pointless decade!") some pop cultural references (a Beautiful Mind) a really funny joke (Homer running after the car) and just some really good one liners ("Your Honour, can you please focus on the case at hand?" "I'm sorry, my wife left me this morning!") and you have a fairly solid and funny episode right there. And to do a good follow up to such a well loved original episode "Mother Simpson" takes some doing but they, uh, did it.

the only thing that bugged me (and bugged me alot, actually) was Glen Close playing Mother Simpson again -- but she TOTALLY forgot that she did an old grandma lady voice last time she was on there, so this time she just sounded like, well, Glen Close.

Last edited by Ugly : 11-10-2003 at 09:57 PM.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:52 PM   #39
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
You were in diapers when the show premiered.

Maybe it doesn't make you laugh out louad because the sly cultural references from back then are lost on you because you weren't around to experience that day's culture.
I wasn't exactly in "diapers", but yes I was young. I obviously realize that I'm taking some of the really old episodes a bit out of context, and I think my height of Simpsons viewing was in the period that I think was the "golden years". Soooo I forgot my point. YOU SUCK.