Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #391
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

i'm hoping they mainly change up the encore. like instead of kazoos maybe slide whistles.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #392
collectspumpkins
Pledge

Here is a picture of the plaque that the venue gave to the band.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16596200@N00/?saved=1

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #393
slunken
Virgo

hey guys i just got back and haven't slept at all. a few brief thoughts -

- i still have sea legs from the 'trampoline floor'
- muffled sound ruined tarantula
- deli pickles were gnarly
- pony-tailed security/roadie guy OWND The Venue. who was that guy?
- meeting pizza club ruled. we totally saw matt walker get denied at the ticket counter. ha-ha
- i don't get why billy changed his shirt for the last song
- met spmediamilitia. LOL
- the 'after-party' was downright scary

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #394
werideatdusk
Ownz

i did want them to come back on stage and play a scorcher to close the night with. i was personally hoping for Bodies, Soma, or Geek USA. when the house lights came on and the music started playing, it seemed like no one was sure if the show was over.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #395
Hate the Hater
Apocalyptic Poster

del

Last edited by Hate the Hater : 08-11-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #396
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
i did want them to come back on stage and play a scorcher to close the night with. i was personally hoping for Bodies, Soma, or Geek USA. when the house lights came on and the music started playing, it seemed like no one was sure if the show was over.
well its not like the general staff had any clue either. but yea it was sort of abrupt, like they (the pumpkins) didn't even consider coming back out. personally i thought they would tag on porcelina upon seeing the saturn shirt but when he changed it to the stripes i thought it would be 1979/cherub rock or something...something... sux

Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #397
bkrodgers
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadkat9 View Post
It's funny you should say this. Because there are probably more of us "TRUE FANS" that are currently in our late 20's - late 30's and have children / families and a REAL life to live with jobs and all. We can't afford to take a weeks vacation off of work to fly somewhere in the country just to catch a couple concerts anymore. We aren't teenage / college age "kids" anymore. So let's not start on who the "TRUE FANS" are just because we didn't fly to NC or SF last year.
AMEN to that!!!!!!!! I certainly consider myself a "true fan" and this is only my second show since the reunion. I was pretty darn proud of myself for driving up from St. Louis to Normal on a weeknight last year, and to a lesser extent for driving up to Chicago this weekend with gas prices. Last year I wanted to go to another show (strongly considered the one in Memphis), but "real life" prevented it. Being a responsible adult can be a bitch sometimes, but I'm just glad I can still find time to be a teenage / college age kid once in awhile and go see one of my all time favorite bands play. The rest of the time, I've got to go to work and program corporate internal websites, come home and make myself some dinner, scoop the cat litter box, and get up to do it again the next day. And I won't let anyone tell me that keeps me from being a true fan.

Rant over! After all....I have to work tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #398
werideatdusk
Ownz

and we come to the truth of hatephoria: either youre too "tr00" and people accuse you of mindlessly kissing Billy's ass, or youre not "tr00" enough and youre inferior. i think most people are pretty in-between. and as for the people that hate everything Billy has done since 2000 (or even since 1997), its time to move on and stop posting on "fan" forums.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #399
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

First of all, let me reiterate that if you have a chance to see a show this tour, do it!! No 2 SP tours are the same, but with this one being so short, you gotta catch it while you can. Such a cool experience. It felt very different than all the shows I saw in 2007 and Europe 2008.

Also, it is obviously too late for anyone reading this thread, but next tour, why not try to keep the setlist a surprise? It is not too hard to avoid the internet for a while. I was simultaneously shocked and elated at each new song I heard at Davenport. It made it so much more fun. Last night at Hammond, a cool fan I met who hadn't seen them since 2000 came in not knowing any details of the soundchecks/setlists, and he made it a point that he didn't want anyone in line telling him. Fortunately he succeeded, and it was quite fun seeing the "holy shit" reactions on his face throughout the night. His first line to me after the show was, "This band just keeps getting better." He was a hard core fan who knew every B-side, etc.

410 posts and no discussion of Billy's awesome vocal antics during HMM?? Very funny/cool screams, woos, and other wailings during this jam. It was strange even for BC. I don't think I was just making it up in my head either -- having seen HMM about 10 times in the last year, it stuck right out at me when he did that stuff.

Also, Billy's dance moves are endlessly hilarious. Sometimes they convey other emotions as well -- it truly adds something to the vibe of TBITEITB. I never imagined how awesome that song would be live.

The techno/videogame-ish intro music to the concert is really cool.

The crowd for the most part was not as energetic as Davenport, which kinda detracted a bit. If acting like a zombie is your idea of fun at a concert, whatever, "you're so strange". I was 2nd row center most of the night, but had to get on the rail for Superchrist because I have to brace myself for the jumping and headbanging that always ensues.

Set the Controls was a bit shorter than Davenport. Jimmy did not spend as much time repeatedly pounding the large tom with the mallet. Also, the ending jam was better in Davenport. Jimmy was really awesome there. Still good in Hammond, but not as intense in my opinion. Most people complain about that song's placement and length, but perhaps we all should realize that SP rarely ever follows the standard concert formulas. I personally wish STRONGLY that they'd play Gossamer as well, but last night after Set the Controls I just didn't expect it to happen, what with lame crowd reactions. At least we know that Gossamer is not entirely forgotten, and hopefully will return soon.

I heard more people in line talking and fretting about what pictures they were gonna take (mostly on their cell phones) than any other SP concert. People, your cell phone pics are gonna suck. You know that someone else will have an actual good camera and post good pics on the internet. Get over the sentimentality of having your own personal shitty pic, and just enjoy the show.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #400
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

People have complained about the sound, but it was actually much clearer than Davenport for the most part. Billy's vocals especially were nearly crystal clear to me. The vocal mix sounded like it was arranged differently than other venues. That is, they were actually being projected loudly from the stage and above the stage, whereas usually they are concentrated in the main left/right stacks, which makes them float past you if you are in the first few rows.

I thought the rail was gonna collapse forward during Bullet. The base extended into the first 2 rows of the audience, so that the rail is held down largely by the audience's weight. But some people were actually jumping in this song (for once), so the rail was "looser" and it felt like it tilted forward slightly at a couple points. My perception may have been skewed by the bouncy floor which apparently extended back throughout the entire venue. I liked the feeling.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #401
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Post-show:

About 6-7 of us waited for the band to come out. Someone thought that they saw Ginger slip out. She is so short that no one else noticed her!

Jimmy came out next. I thanked him for Superchrist and a great show and he said thanks. I did not bother him beyond that because he was ready to leave with his wife, but a few other people came up to him and chatted him up and got pics. At least one person got his ticket autographed. Jimmy then had to return inside the venue for something. He came back carrying a jump rope. "I forgot the most important thing!" he told us. LOL.

This one crew member came out carrying some things, including a plaque that The Venue apparently gives each band that plays there. Here is a pic courtesy of collectspumpkins (thanks!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16596200@N00/?saved=1

At least 20 minutes later, Billy, Jeff, and Lisa came out. It was over an hour after the show ended. I told Billy it was good to see him and he said thanks. Told Jeff he rocked, again Jeff just said thanks. Billy did not stay to talk to anyone. He was just ready to leave. Lisa actually talked the most (just a few sentences and thank yous). She and Jeff left separately.

Venue security was cool with us waiting for them. LOL @ this one bitch who "works" backstage at various venues. She was backstage, but she acted way more important than she actually is. She came up to the security guard and said "these guys can't be standing here, it's for staff only". The guard dismissed her and said "she ain't shit". So thanks to you, Mr. Guard, for being so nice to us.

That bitch also "explained" to me before the show that "The band is different now because Billy kicked some people out." I said, "Oh, he kicked them out huh? I don't think that's exactly what happened." She said, "You don't hear these things unless you're backstage." LOL

Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #402
efettig
Pledge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan View Post
I thought the rail was gonna collapse forward during Bullet.
When Tarantula started and everyone started jumping the two security guards in front of me just kept their eyes on the gate and had this look like...."OH SHIT!" I'm sure they didn't see that at Bette Midler and that's the first time they saw the bouncy floor in action. Was pretty funny to watch.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #403
Caine Walker
Braindead

i was having visions of the floor collapsing...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #404
el_hemeno
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
as fellow zombie during the show, i was awake enough and honestly it looked like the band was only interested in playing the song and not too concerned with the audience.

Some people might think that is a "screw you" to the crowd. But I think it is a fact that they had a plan and they stuck to it.

I disagree as Billy tried to engage the audience during HMM by saying "Rock and roll" or some such and trying to get the crowd to repeat. When it was unsuccessful, he made an offhand comment about the crowd and/or looked back at Jimmy with a "wtf?" sort of gesture.

My feeling is that they miss those active crowds like in Europe.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #405
leena
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hemeno View Post
Not all crowds in Europe have been that active, the Luxembourg gig (2007) for example had one of the lamest crowds in history, despite the band performing well.

I'm actually pretty curious in finding out what Billy thinks about the difference in crowds all over the world.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #406
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
I disagree as Billy tried to engage the audience during HMM by saying "Rock and roll" or some such and trying to get the crowd to repeat. When it was unsuccessful, he made an offhand comment about the crowd and/or looked back at Jimmy with a "wtf?" sort of gesture.

i was only talking about during "Set the Controls"

Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #407
nofix
Demi-God

Quote:

It's hard to get into a rock show being constrained to seats. The show I was at last year was extremely into everything the band did, but it was also a GA show. The Davenport show, not so much. Heads were moving, but that's about all you're going to get when you have security + seats.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #408
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

what was that whole banter about...

1. we live in a weird world somone explain it please
2. i'm totallly insane but i wans't born insane the world makes me insane
3. hope and change and marching..

hahahah poor BC.
Here's my answer
The world is always going to be costantly changing. No one makes anyone anything. no world makes you insane, no person, etc. you make your own life, and so if your's is insane, it's entirely to do with how you are living it. you will never be able to control all the world around you, only yourself and how you choose to navigate the outer chaos. and so to blame others or the world for one's own insanity will never help you to feel sane. you have to take responsibilty for your own self and achieve positivity in your world first, before you can help bring others there. think about that.
next, war is not pleasant. i do not like war. but some bad people, terrorists, want to kill other good people (us) and when this happens the people they are trying to kill dont want to be killed (we dont want to be killed) and so we protect ourselves. when you are dealing with irrational people that want to kill you, you must protect yourself and the innocent who are being abused. sometimes diplomacy doesn't work on a person who is not mentally there and just thinks of killing, raping and abusing people and so we need to protect ourselves. it's not simply war is bad and pack up all the troops and come home and give the bad people a lolipop and all is happy. that is not reality.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #409
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
some bad people, terrorists, want to kill other good people (us) and when this happens the people they are trying to kill dont want to be killed (we dont want to be killed)
Quote:
it's not simply war is bad and pack up all the troops and come home and give the bad people a lolipop and all is happy. that is not reality.
here's my answer. you seem to reject one absurdly simplistic view of the world in favor of another equally simplistic view. frankly it's making me insane.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #410
el_hemeno
Pledge

Quote:
sometimes diplomacy doesn't work on a person who is not mentally there and just thinks of killing, raping and abusing people and so we need to protect ourselves.
Sometimes you can't win a war against a concept. A war against a concept is unmanageable, especially when you expand the definition of that concept to be vague enough to allow anyone to be classified as that concept.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #411
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

so true. some people forget that terrorism is an idea, not a standing army.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #412
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

the war is complex. there is so much to it. i dont want war. i dont like war. i dont like how this war was managed, it is managed extremely poorly. im not happy about why we are there to begin with. there's no going backward though. we are here, in the here and now.
i do know that a very horrible man is now out of power. a country is trying to rebuild itself and they rely on us for support to do that. i do know that the region is completely unstable and that there are extreme people that want to build bombs for the purpose of nothing good. the reality is that there are people that are not rational and they want to harm human beings. intimadate them, supress the women, carry on with horrible things. these people cannot be allowed to harm us or other human beings. so while i do not like war, i am prepared to do what i have to to protect myself from yes terror. it may be a concept but it is very real and it is the core idea of the people who exist to inflict harm on others.

they really need to be more resourceful about things. efficiency is so important and i give the US a 0 on a scale from 1-10 for efficiency.

Last edited by mayday : 08-11-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #413
MonteLDS
*sigh*

thank you mayday for once again making everything billy say more complicated than it is. the Machina Mystery era is over. let the over analyzing days die already

Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #414
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

there's no over analysis. he was commenting on his "insanity" and the that the "world is making" him insane and how he' s "tired of marching" in protest. and so i'm responding to this. when you boil things down to what they are, it's plain to see . no matter how much the ball of yarn is tied in knots, I'll get it sorted out. you cannot hide from the truth. if he wants to go hiding around in these mysteries good for him. but either his mystery and all the pieces come together or it's just a random jumbling of meaningless stuff. you cannot have it both ways. i am not interested in a random bunch of meaningles stuff and i dont think he is either, but maybe he is.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #415
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

hey you guys, remember when people used to go to shows to have fun and escape from the trouble and drama of the real world? billy corgan did.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #416
werideatdusk
Ownz

he didnt say he was "tired of marching". it was a joke. he said "i know all of you are tired from marching all day, protesting the war, protesting the economy, protesting the ecology". he wasnt making a simplistic anti-war statement (though I'm all for those), rather he was lamenting the fact that although 80-something percent of Americans think the country is on the wrong track, there is no real movement to get it back on the right track.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #417
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono View Post
hey you guys, remember when people used to go to shows to have fun and escape from the trouble and drama of the real world? pepperidge farm remembers.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #418
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
The world is always going to be costantly changing. No one makes anyone anything. no world makes you insane, no person, etc. you make your own life, and so if your's is insane, it's entirely to do with how you are living it. you will never be able to control all the world around you, only yourself and how you choose to navigate the outer chaos. and so to blame others or the world for one's own insanity will never help you to feel sane. you have to take responsibilty for your own self and achieve positivity in your world first, before you can help bring others there. think about that.
aw, how insightful

Quote:
next, war is not pleasant. i do not like war. but some bad people, terrorists, want to kill other good people (us) and when this happens the people they are trying to kill dont want to be killed (we dont want to be killed) and so we protect ourselves. when you are dealing with irrational people that want to kill you, you must protect yourself and the innocent who are being abused. sometimes diplomacy doesn't work on a person who is not mentally there and just thinks of killing, raping and abusing people and so we need to protect ourselves. it's not simply war is bad and pack up all the troops and come home and give the bad people a lolipop and all is happy. that is not reality.
you're a goddamned retard