Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
MusicMan4

Default what happened to the minigames in final fantasy

Minigames in final fantasy XII: walk around town pressing the square button to yell annoying phrases

Minigames in Final Fantasy VII: snowboarding, chopping heads off soldiers while riding motorcycle, submarine shootout, chocobo race

you know what i'm talking about here? now that they have the technology to pull off that shit even better theyre giving us the lamest crap
get it together, squaresoft

Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
wangcomputers
Apocalyptic Poster

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

the card game in 8 was cool

Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
???
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeMouth
the card game in 8 was cool
i bought the real-life version. triple triad is the shit.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveflower
Minigames in final fantasy XII: walk around town pressing the square button to yell annoying phrases

Minigames in Final Fantasy VII: snowboarding, chopping heads off soldiers while riding motorcycle, submarine shootout, chocobo race

you know what i'm talking about here? now that they have the technology to pull off that shit even better theyre giving us the lamest crap
I thought you liked FFX-2?? Minigames all over the show

Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
MusicMan4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangcomputers
I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA!
BASCH LIVES

Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
The Shit
Demi-God

sup tasty

Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Rarely
Shh

fuck final fantasy its gay

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:

FFXII is a bullshit "normal" RPG disguised uncleverly with a Final Fantasy name. With any other name it would've sold less, so they slapped that title on it and ran it. It was missing many things a Final Fantasy game would've normally entailed. I won't even begin to describe its completely lacking storyline and unoriginal characters...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
MusicMan4

oh its the best game in the series since VII
amazing battle system that i hope they keep forever
less annoying whiny angst ridden characters

i havent finished it yet
but so far i prefer the politics based story to the usual saving the world from mysterious bullshit source

Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

No it isn't. It's the worst game in the series since 10 and 10-2. 8 and 9 are much better.

Sorry, didn't know you didn't beat it yet, so I won't ******* any spoilers.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I mean, come on, it's a FF game, you SHOULD be saving the world. But in 12 it's just like, well, what IF everybody fails... then everything's okay, it's just a little different, oh well. There's no importance to anything your party does...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
MusicMan4

uh
as far as i can tell where i'm at
if the main party fails

rozzaria and archadia go to war
the kingdom of dalmasca gets wiped out by war
empire of archadia continues manufacturing nethecite and gaining more and more power

i'm currently in the great crystal...which is the most annoying dungeon ever
the battle system is light years beyond anything ever before in the series, i dont know why they couldnt have given us minigames and dungeons and puzzles that are up to snuff

here is a puzzle in ffxii:

click on a statue
game says "turn all these statues so they face the same direction"
you turn all the statues to face the same direction
you have solved the puzzle

Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Exactly, "Oh no, war... and then the war ends and the other people win, but the world is still intact but just in control by other people..." It's just not a big deal is your party loses. The game just gets very boring and uninteresting after 80 or so hours when you realize that it's too broad and boring. And when you beat it there's a horrible feeling of unimportance and dissatisfaction.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Effloresce
Banned

Quote:

FFXII is a disgrace all around... I can't believe I was actually able to complete the game.

Have you noticed that no one like ever spoils this game? That's because the story sucks. So does the gameplay. FFXII is a disaster. I hope FFXIII sucks too, then I won't feel so bad about not owning a PS3.

FFVII, Tactics, and FFVIII was my favorite moment in the series, personally.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
smurfing
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp
when you beat it there's a horrible feeling of unimportance and dissatisfaction.
you have a problem, get help

Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
hereisnowhy
Minion of Satan

Smile

I got your back, Casey.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #19
???
Minion of Satan

it all went wrong after 9. since X the series has basically been marketed to teenage cosplay girls and lonely hentai fapmasters. i think the worst thing is that they've replaced those beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds with these plasticky free-roaming polygonal ones. and the new arcadey combat system is just clunky and awkward. i think arcadier rpg battles are the way to go in a sense, but the execution here is poor. the series still has some good ideas and designs going into it but overall its just getting glossier and shallower than ever. the plots are lame, the characters have less character than ever, and perhaps worst of all, nobuo uematsu's left the team. ff music will never be the same. 6-9 is the golden age.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
it all went wrong after 9. since X the series has basically been marketed to teenage cosplay girls and lonely hentai fapmasters. i think the worst thing is that they've replaced those beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds with these plasticky free-roaming polygonal ones. and the new arcadey combat system is just clunky and awkward. i think arcadier rpg battles are the way to go in a sense, but the execution here is poor. the series still has some good ideas and designs going into it but overall its just getting glossier and shallower than ever. the plots are lame, the characters have less character than ever, and perhaps worst of all, nobuo uematsu's left the team. ff music will never be the same. 6-9 is the golden age.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Though I think 4 started the model for a perfect FF game, 5 was like wtf, then it was all good up through 9. FFT was also respectable.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effloresce
I hope FFXIII sucks too, then I won't feel so bad about not owning a PS3.
ha, you hope something you can't afford sucks because you can't afford it

Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
The Pashing Smumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

Should I get FFIII for my DS when its released? I've frequently heard that the third is one of the best of the early releases but the one thing that pissed me off about FFVII (the only one ive actually played) was the fucking random battles... Fucking HATE random battles in my games.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #24
MusicMan4

arcadier? what the fuck? this is the first non-tactics game to have truly strategic battles
you're all nutjobs

Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #25
MusicMan4

the gambit system is great
ok, maybe strategic wasnt entirely the right word
because i basically have my party set up so i just run around the dungeons
i dont command them at all anymore
its amazing
my main party (vaan, ashe, balthier) just run through the dungeon wiping out everything in their path and automatically healing
when i get to a boss or elite mark
i hop into the gambit menu
switch shit around once i know what's up (although i immediately set one of my characters to dispel every time)
then watch them take care of business
i rarely have to intervene
its great

Old 03-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #26
MusicMan4

i cleared the great crystal
all my characters are above lvl 70
right now i'm taking reddas with me on mark hunts
kind of annoys me that you cant control guests or set up gambits but i appreciate having an extra guy around to distract these fucking things with billions of hit points
plus i'm tooling around the necrehol of nabudis
i've got some sweet ass weapons (i know i may or may not be able to get the zodiac spear...i always try to do my first run through a game totally guide free but i found out you can fuck up getting the best weapon by opening certain chests...way to go square/enix on punishing people for being thorough.)
got the ultima blade and the fomalhaut...i give ashe the gun because shes my healer and i want her at a distance
balthier tanks with vaan who has the ultima blade
i'm going to be pissed if i get through this dungeon and i dont get the spear

either way im getting annoyed with having to constantly activate libra to avoid these dogshit traps
the traps serve no purpose except to annoy you by making you cast libra or float
i guess i'm ok with them being in the optional "uber dungeon" but jesus christ
i walked into a new area once when one of my characters was dead
i cast raise on him
he spawned on a trap and wiped out himself and the other two
shit is completely wack

Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #27
???
Minion of Satan

that has its advantages, yeah. but turn-based battles are just like a game of chess, which i think is what so many people find enjoyable about traditional rpg combat. in 12 the monsters roam around freely in real time and you've got to make your party run around whilst fighting like in baldurs gate or warcraft. that really shatters the static, chess-like mechanics of the definitive rpg battle. its not that it totally sucks; its just not final fantasy.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #28
???
Minion of Satan

ah i'm writing my own rpg anyway, noone will be disappointed

casey, i'm looking for cowriters, you want in?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
MusicMan4

there is barely any strategy involved in regular turn-based final fantasy, i'm sorry
it was always entirely too easy to just level up and get weapons and mindlessly hit attack

in 12 i'm doing that shit too but i'm doing it without having to micro manage at all
i'm clowning every enemy in the game and its great to watch
but when you set up your gambits right
you have used strategy
you have to put thought into your setup to be able to just run around dungeons and fight the toughest marks without really worrying about it
at first i just set stuff at like "ally < 40% hp cura"
doesnt cut it
now i just run around watching my guys automatically throw oil and firaga on enemies that are weak against fire
its just really satisfying to me

I love how the status effects matter in this game...you know what i'm saying? like if you get blind cast on you and you dont take it off immediately you are fucked. I hated how they were just a minor annoyance in the previous games...plus I like how you can finally hit bosses with negative status effects. It was always ridiculous that they were always immune to so much shit when casting it on regular enemies was never worthwhile.

i bet theres lots of fools who played this who didnt bother to really learn the gambit system and think the game is shit

pure turn based had gotten stale
they actually made some improvements in X but this shit is clearly the future to me

final fantasy is one of the things you and i can actually bro down about but we're way apart on this one
i love this game
despite the obvious flaws
i cant wait to see what they do on the PS3 now
keep this system
bring back amano to do character designs

Old 03-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #30
MusicMan4

also whats with your complaint about the character designs? this game has the best
vaan is clearly pandering to that bullshit market but the rest of them are pretty cool really. vaan isnt even really the main character; the game is clearly about ashe who is one of the most well designed characters in the series

i mean if you want to talk about designing characters for hentai fans
lets talk about tifa
you know what im saying? tetsuya(?) nomura threw some d's on that bitch if you know what i mean