Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
TheAeroplane
Demi-God

Default Pride Goes Before A Fall

When I see Billy and all the mistakes he's made and the fact he's unaware of how he's perceived, it just shows me how useless, toxic, counterproductive a big ego is. Success is a lousy teacher, and definitely Billy's success in the 90's affected him too much. You should never let success go to your head and failure go to your heart. It seems to me that having a big ego means that you don't know yourself, especially that you don't understand reality. What is the point of having a big ego? Seriously.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

I agree with you, but I think it's necessary to an extent. Without that ego we may have never gotten Siamese Dream, right? But we also could've gotten better albums from then on if Billy's ego wasn't so big (Mellon Collie is too long IMO and Adore, M and MMII are good with some hiccups).

Last edited by kremlin18 : 02-28-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremlin18 View Post
I agree with you, but I think it's necessary to an extent. Without that ego we may have never gotten Siamese Dream, right? But we also could've gotten better albums from there on out if it wasn't so big (Mellon Collie is too long IMO and Adore, M and MMII are good with some hiccups).
you think ego is was what made SD good? ha hahaha hahahah ahaha

Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy’s insane arrogance destroyed an all time great band. He also ruined his chance of being seen as one of the most brilliant rock musicians ever by the general public.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
Shallowed
Braindead

ok

Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
kremlin18
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
you think ego is was what made SD good? ha hahaha hahahah ahaha
I wrote we wouldn't have gotten the album without it, not that's what made it good. You have to be a bit crazy to think you can make an album that big IMO.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

I think MCIS is better than SD personally, although SD does have my favorite song (Today). It probably is too long but it also has about 10-15 songs better than anything most bands ever put out.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Image you're a nobody and then suddenly you go on a 4-year winning streak where you sell MILLIONS of records each year and go play sold out festivals and shows.

How is anybody just going to re-adjust after that? Especially if you're a narcissist and an attention-whore because you were abused and neglected as a child. It would probably destroy a lot of people. And it made him a huge fucking asshole.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
myosis
Minion of Satan

it seems that ego is what made you create a new thread just to say this

Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
SD does have my favorite song (Today).
JU GU LAE?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Mellon Collie > Siamese Dream

Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
FoolofaTook

4 REAL

ALSO SPITEFACE >TODAY

Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I think MCIS is better than SD personally, although SD does have my favorite song (Today). It probably is too long but it also has about 10-15 songs better than anything most bands ever put out.
I don't actually like MCIS as a record that much. The songs are amazing and the tour was fucking unbelievable, but the record feels very dry and blandly produced. SD always sounds fresh and great

Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #14
FoolofaTook

I n c l u d I n g jellybelly???

Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #15
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

He's a narcissist

Old 02-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #16
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I don't actually like MCIS as a record that much. The songs are amazing and the tour was fucking unbelievable, but the record feels very dry and blandly produced. SD always sounds fresh and great
MCIS is incredible. wtf bruhh

Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #17
shadow47
Demi-God

Bill's phoniness could easily extend all the way to the beginning. The strategic decisions, it was all there from the beginning. Sure, he might've grown more calculating and less musically inspired (like plenty of songwriters), but people just take it as a given he was "authentic and sincere" in the 90s. Why did other musicians hate him? They didn't respect him. He tried on a lot of different images (psychedelic, goth, glam), but were any anything more than a marketing ruse? I'm beginning to wonder.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #18
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He just had a broad range of influences and incorporated various styles into his songwriting. You're reading too much into it. He even said that looking back he can listen to the albums and know what he was listening to at the time and being influenced by. Gish for instance obviously has a big Jane's Addiction influence. I don't think there's anything phony about him, he was just driven and ambitious like most musicians who end up being successful are. If other musicians didn't respect him it's because they were intimidated by his talent and/or they were snooty hipsters like Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
shadow47
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
He just had a broad range of influences and incorporated various styles into his songwriting. You're reading too much into it. He even said that looking back he can listen to the albums and know what he was listening to at the time and being influenced by. Gish for instance obviously has a big Jane's Addiction influence. I don't think there's anything phony about him, he was just driven and ambitious like most musicians who end up being successful are. If other musicians didn't respect him it's because they were intimidated by his talent and/or they were snooty hipsters like Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth.
I mean, he's a calculating mf. He's calculating how to sell. His peers call him a sell-out. He is always lamenting that they say that. He's listening to bands and shaping his image for sale. How much is a lie? Hasn't made a non-embarrassing song in nearly two decades, seems about the right time to reexamine body of work given the perspective the latest situation is giving. What does Corgan actually believe? How much has always been a cynical cash-grab, or a scheme to bang fangirls? Does anyone actually respect Billy Corgan, given what you learn everyday? I think the more anybody learns the less they can manage to love.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #20
Bollyslolly
Amish Rake Fighter

Yes I respect and love Billy no matter how much of a kunt he is or the terrible new music he makes.. Always and 4eva