Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #181
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Listening to the Smashing Pumpkins doesn't exactly make anyone a paragon of originality, either.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #182
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've always loved these guys when they go acoustic.

Weezer playing a High-School cafeteria in 1996 Seattle. Was a radio-station contest winner promotion...

How amazing would've been to check this out at lunch-time in high-school?

Beautiful rendition of No One Else

Old 11-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #183
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
Listening to the Smashing Pumpkins doesn't exactly make anyone a paragon of originality, either.
True.

Listening to BORIS, on the other hand...

Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #184
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Jordan Peterson was talking about this in a recent interview about how there's these types of people that you know everything they're gonna say or like once you get to know a tiny bit about them...

There's so little individuality with this clique culture nowadays... Opinions don't differ, tastes are the same... It's a real problem...RBG is one of the worst offenders of this that I've ever come across online.

Peterson articulates it perfectly.

Watch the following 3 minutes that play of this clip. He destroys this reporter in the most articulate fashion.

it's like you don't want us to forget you are the worst person in the world so you add a jordan peterson clip at the end to remind us

Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 AM   #185
redbreegull

mark kozelek's acoustic chops are a straight kick to the balls. makes Bruce Corgan sound like a total amateur

Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #186
ilikeplanets
Braindead

that list of "bittersweet" songs are all amazing. i miss feeling things.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #187
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Man work on your trolling fuzzy

Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #188
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Of course fuzzy is a Jordan Peterson fan

Old 11-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #189
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Of course fuzzy is not a Luna fan

Old 11-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #190
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Jordan Peterson, not racist, but #1 with racists.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #191
fuzzyroes
Banned

He's never said anything remotely racist.

He's simply a threat to some of the lefts ideology, so they try and discredit him.

I'd recommend anyone to read his book 12 rules for life before making any assumptions about him.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #192
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

It's actually a Simpsons joke, but there is truth in the idea that scummy people find refuge in apologists. Like, "I'm a bigot, please forward all inquiries to Sam Harris."

I didn't care for the video you linked where he says he can guess a person's suite of viewpoints based on a few small clues, because it gives anyone who disagrees a rationale for not engaging further in a dialogue. "You have long hair, this conversation is over". So long as a person is willing to deal in facts, they shouldn't be preemptively ignored. If someone says "check out x,y,z hipster guitarists, they're good", well that's not a fact based argument to begin with, so it would be your folly for having even responded in the first place.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #193
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ehhh it was more just a dig at RBG. Most of his political and musical opinions are totally atypical and predictable and yet he always talks as though he's some sort of authority on the topics.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #194
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
mark kozelek's acoustic chops are a straight kick to the balls. makes Bruce Corgan sound like a total amateur

Hey, that was actually really great. I hadn't heard that track before.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #195
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I can't think of a single SP song that I would have enjoyed more if there were more notes, or a greater demonstrations of technical skill, except in the songs where James Iha took the vocals. Therefore I don't think discussing Billy's technical proficiency serves any purpose, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #196
fuzzyroes
Banned

Ehhh I dunno dude, as much as I go to bat for Monuments, that in particular is an album that could've benefited from some better lead guitar. A song like One and All definitely calls for it, it still baffles me that he didn't let a solo rip in it.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #197
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Sometimes less is more.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #198
fuzzyroes
Banned

True... Even MCIS got some backlash for the lack of solos. But for a guitarist as good as Corgan, it would be nice to have his ability on display a little more in the newer tunes.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #199
redbreegull

Quote:
Hey, that was actually really great. I hadn't heard that track before.
Kozelek is easily as impressive a guitarist as Billy Corgan, their strengths and styles are just totally different. He's a really astonishingly talented musician.

Quote:
Ehhh it was more just a dig at RBG. Most of his political and musical opinions are totally atypical and predictable and yet he always talks as though he's some sort of authority on the topics.
I don't think that's true. Most of the time when we argue, my opinions are probably those held by a majority of people. I wish I could claim to be atypical, but "name dropping" Elliott Smith who is a really widely loved, appreciated, and acknowledged musician is about as hipster or contrarian as "name dropping" the fuckin pixies or something in a conversation about alternative rock. I'm not exactly going out on a limb here. Elliott Smith is really popular, influential, and known primarily for his work on acoustic guitar.

Quote:
I can't think of a single SP song that I would have enjoyed more if there were more notes, or a greater demonstrations of technical skill, except in the songs where James Iha took the vocals. Therefore I don't think discussing Billy's technical proficiency serves any purpose, at least as far as I'm concerned.
It's not about more notes. Malmsteen can play a lot of notes, but I certainly prefer Billy Corgan. The point I was attempting to make is that Billy Corgan is a really creative guitarist and it doesn't usually translate to his acoustic work. I don't think that is something innate cause the guy is obviously very naturally adept. If he put in the time to be a great acoustic guitarist, he probably could be. On electric, even when Corgan is doing something really simple, he has the ability to excite me and make me wonder about where his ideas come from.

On acoustic he really doesn't have that versatility. For the most part he just plays regular open chords with standardish, dense strum patterns (I'm almost tempted to refer to his style as cowboy chords). When he fingerpicks, he usually just does a thumb and two finger 1-3-2. He has done some other stuff like fucking around with slides, capos, alternate tunings, 12-string guitars... but on Ogilala, it was mostly a return to his really standard, regularish style of acoustic playing. If he does a hammer on, that's like really exciting for him.

I still really think this is the result of him approaching acoustic guitar as an electric guitar for quiet volumes though, instead of as a different instrument. His tone also just always sucks cause he sticks 9 gauge strings on his guitars and strums the hell out of em

Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #200
slunken
Virgo

what did i just read

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #201
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
what did i just read
Shall i just quote the whole post for you again

Old 11-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #202
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
It's not about more notes. Malmsteen can play a lot of notes, but I certainly prefer Billy Corgan. The point I was attempting to make is that Billy Corgan is a really creative guitarist and it doesn't usually translate to his acoustic work. I don't think that is something innate cause the guy is obviously very naturally adept. If he put in the time to be a great acoustic guitarist, he probably could be. On electric, even when Corgan is doing something really simple, he has the ability to excite me and make me wonder about where his ideas come from.

On acoustic he really doesn't have that versatility. For the most part he just plays regular open chords with standardish, dense strum patterns (I'm almost tempted to refer to his style as cowboy chords). When he fingerpicks, he usually just does a thumb and two finger 1-3-2. He has done some other stuff like fucking around with slides, capos, alternate tunings, 12-string guitars... but on Ogilala, it was mostly a return to his really standard, regularish style of acoustic playing. If he does a hammer on, that's like really exciting for him.

I still really think this is the result of him approaching acoustic guitar as an electric guitar for quiet volumes though, instead of as a different instrument. His tone also just always sucks cause he sticks 9 gauge strings on his guitars and strums the hell out of em
You're asking for Malmsteen on an acoustic, but then pretending you're not.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #203
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Shall i just quote the whole post for you again
why don't you translate it into dutch while you're at it?

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #204
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

waarom vertaal je het niet in het Nederlands nu je er toch mee bezig bent?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #205
redbreegull

Quote:
You're asking for Malmsteen on an acoustic, but then pretending you're not.
...you have something wrong with you

Old 11-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #206
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Seriously though, The Rose March is a beautiful, high quality acoustic composition.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #207
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Seriously though, The Rose March is a beautiful, high quality acoustic composition.
wrong

Old 11-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #208
redbreegull

the rose march is pretty ok.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #209
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The rose march is no bed of roses...

Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #210
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

The Rose March is really excellent. It's supposedly a song he wrote and performed in the space of twenty four hours, and yet it has the most intricate acoustic part of any song in their catalog. I get the sense that he didn't really think the whole thing up then and there. The lyrics don't cumulatively make any more sense that the other lyrics he writes, but the imagery throughout is vivid and interesting; "Inner-spaced and pie faced You catch the moon I’ll just stand here and run in place Shell shocked and half cocked The universe is full of black holes and anniversary knots". "I’ll lay roses at your feet Til you decide there is something great in you" is a great line, too.

99 Floors was a good song, too. "Ain't it sad when your choices are vices, or advice" ... Following in the tradition of throwing away good material only to record crap in the studio later.