Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #61
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
i like pretty much everything except rap and country
i said this in sunday school one time. to be fair i was probably 10.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #62
slunken
Virgo

the ss teacher tried to make a point about how well maybe there would be something you would like and me being 10 and a die-hard rocker obviously was all like no absolutely not no way

Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #63
slunken
Virgo

that was about the same time all the trouble began...

Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #64
Elphenor
Braindead

I like straight gangster rap. Its like Punk for minorities.

But fuck Eminem and shit. Goddam that type of music needs to go away.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #65
slunken
Virgo

i watched a 3 hour documentary on vanilla ice the other night. guy got a lot of shit when he came out but was pretty fucking talented. respect.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #66
slunken
Virgo

i've told this story before but i recently realized that in ice ice baby when he says "turn out the lights and i'll glow" is not a boast but a self-deprecating line about how he's white

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #67
Elphenor
Braindead

I cant take white rappers seriously. Because I dont actually like Rap I just like the "kill whitey" mentality of hardcore thug rap.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #68
Elphenor
Braindead

What the average person thinks Rock is, is so awful that im always ashamed to say I like Rock.

I play in a Goth/Punk band, but I hate telling people that because I know they're picturing full on screaming and bad haircuts

Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #69
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
What the average person thinks Rock is, is so awful that im always ashamed to say I like Rock.

I play in a Goth/Punk band, but I hate telling people that because I know they're picturing full on crying and bad haircuts
fixed

Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #70
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
I like straight gangster rap. Its like Punk for minorities.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...-hop-influence

Geoff Barrow Talks Portishead's Hip Hop Influence

“Hip Hop is kind of my punk, really,” Barrow explained. He moved to the turntables and drum sequencers after initially being drawn to Hip Hop culture as a B-Boy in his native, urban fishing town of Portishead. “When you’re younger, and you’re putting music together, it can be a bit of a cockfight with other bands—the kids who got all the trainers and the right MPC. But RZA sampled me, so fuck off.”

Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #71
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah NWA are basically punks, anyone should be able to figure that out

Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #72
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
fixed
I wish. But for some reason, people who aren't into music think all Rock is pretty much Metal. Or like Led Zepplin.

I'm a tall and skinny crying poet with relatively short hair who worships Robert Smith.
But when I tell people Im a guitar player/vocalist in a rock band, they just ask "Oh, do you scream a lot?" Or "Oh, can you play super fast?"

Fuck Metal, and it's complete ruining of Rock.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #73
slunken
Virgo

to be fair - on the other hand - so are crying boys barely strumming a guitar

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #74
slunken
Virgo

you see -> its two sides of the same coin right you get that

Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #75
Elphenor
Braindead

Idk. As soon as you start making music about being "technically" good it gets super boring.

If you want to do something technical go do math or something where there's a "right way" for everything.

Pretty much I play in a band not because I like music, but because I like poetry and Im also a horny 20 year old who realizes no girls that I want to sleep with read poetry.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #76
Elphenor
Braindead

And the literary world is so snobby about it's art. Just like Prog Rock

Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #77
Elphenor
Braindead

It's like if you see someone who is a really really good technical painter. He might paint things so well they look real, but it's still going to not be as interesting as someone who paints four blobs and has something to say. Art is like 90% attitude imo

Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #78
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i only listen to gangsta country

Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #79
Elphenor
Braindead

I grew up listening to country.

Which is why I hated music growing up.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #80
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
70s and 80s soul jazz was amazing though but i feel what you're getting at
Al Jarreau ?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #81
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Idk. As soon as you start making music about being "technically" good it gets super boring.

If you want to do something technical go do math or something where there's a "right way" for everything.

Yep. But the thing is you have right brained and left brained people. The left brained do Jazz or end up in Rush, the right brained are more likely to be doing straight up rock, pop or punk or whatever is somewhere in between.

And yeah I know this right brain left brain shit has been debunked as a myth recently apparently but it's the only way I can express what I mean so shut up.

I mean there is not right or wrong way to make music, but personally I feel jazz and prog and genres like that get all bogged down in technique and how many fucking time signatures can we use and how many key changes. I feel no emotional connection to this kind of stuff. It does nothing for me on an emotional level. It's mathematics.

Some musicians with a knowledge of theory (I've made music for nearly two decades with no knowledge of any, well I mean I guess I know things I just don't know what to call them) tell me I "don't get it". I've been told if I knew theory i'd enjoy jazz more.... Hmm well I believe music and art as a whole is meant to be shared. And if you feel certain types of music require a certain kind of knowledge to be enjoyed, then that means your art is elitist. And it defeats the purpose of art in my view. Call me a populist.

that being said plenty of people ive known like jazz and play no music so...I just think those guys are full of shit and are trying to justify all the money spent on music school. A lot of people who ever pick up an instrument have an ego and feel this is a competition where the ones who fit the most technique into a song win.......

All I know is I have no ounce of blues or jazz in me and I never sought to have it.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #82
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
I wish. But for some reason, people who aren't into music think all Rock is pretty much Metal. Or like Led Zepplin.

I'm a tall and skinny crying poet with relatively short hair who worships Robert Smith.
But when I tell people Im a guitar player/vocalist in a rock band, they just ask "Oh, do you scream a lot?" Or "Oh, can you play super fast?"

Fuck Metal, and it's complete ruining of Rock.
turns out we must have a lot in common as I also once worshipped Robert Smith (though I would still claim the cure as my favorite band I don't really worship anyone anymore, you get over tht in time) and also found out around 16 that poetry wouldn't get you laid. Actually I kinda hate straight up poetry now. What a crock of shit. If I saw my 16 years old self i'd kick him in the balls for being such a fag you know. and keep in mind most people NOW would like to kick me in my (probably in their mind completely inexistent) balls for being such a fag. So that's saying a lot.

Also most of my life when I told people I play music they always assumed I did metal. I have no fucking idea why. Maybe because I look dour and keep my hair at medium length? I like the faggiest music ever.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #83
Elphenor
Braindead

I actually like Jazz if I'm looking for something to chill too. I think it sounds cool as fuck and unusual.

But it's not a genre that I would base my life around like I do with Punk and Alternative.

I hate Rush though. God, prog is a shitty genre. It sounds like the background music for videogames and it's made by a bunch of math geeks.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #84
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
turns out we must have a lot in common as I also once worshipped Robert Smith (though I would still claim the cure as my favorite band I don't really worship anyone anymore, you get over tht in time) and also found out around 16 that poetry wouldn't get you laid. Actually I kinda hate straight up poetry now. What a crock of shit. If I saw my 16 years old self i'd kick him in the balls for being such a fag you know. and keep in mind most people NOW would like to kick me in my (probably in their mind completely inexistent) balls for being such a fag. So that's saying a lot.

Also most of my life when I told people I play music they always assumed I did metal. I have no fucking idea why. Maybe because I look dour and keep my hair at medium length? I like the faggiest music ever.
I don't actually worship the guy, Im just a super fan.

I disagree that poetry is "faggy". That's the mentality of a 13 year old. Poetry doesn't get you laid because it's a solo art for old people. I'll try to get back into it when Im older, but I think young people should play music Because it's a more social art.

I'm girly as fuck, but Im not homosexual. And I still get laid, so who cares? Welcome to the 21st century where we don't have to adhere to crazy gender roles.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #85
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I don't actually worship the guy, Im just a super fan.

I disagree that poetry is "faggy". That's the mentality of a 13 year old. Poetry doesn't get you laid because it's a solo art for old people. I'll try to get back into it when Im older, but I think young people should play music Because it's a more social art.

I'm girly as fuck, but Im not homosexual. And I still get laid, so who cares? Welcome to the 21st century where we don't have to adhere to crazy gender roles.
Well i'm using terms I don't REALLY believe in.

But I just honestly can't stand most written poetry anymore. And certainly not most of the modern so called poets. And certainly none that I used to write...

Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #86
Elphenor
Braindead

I love poetry *shrugs*
And most of the great Rockstars started out writting shitty high school poetry.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #87
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Well yeah. some just kept with it.

I'm not against poetry as an art, i'm just against what most people write as poetry. Also, when put to music, the stupidest of words can sound pretty good. So i'm a lot more lenient on poetry in a song format.

But all slam poets should be lined up and shot.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #88
Catherine Wheel
Banned

You know until Trots mentioned it it didn't occur to me that Copeland having a background in punk rock probably wouldn't be too enthusiastic about jazz and would prefer something like blues where you convey emotion in a less complex sort of way.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #89
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
You know until Trots mentioned it it didn't occur to me that Copeland having a background in punk rock probably wouldn't be too enthusiastic about jazz and would prefer something like blues where you convey emotion in a less complex sort of way.
Conveying emotion is not a complex thing. Really it isn't. Jazz conveys mainly keys and scales and all the notes there are in them.

Blues conveys how many times you can repeat a few notes in a blues scale and how much "feeling" you can milk out of each of them.

Keep in mind i'm being a dick and generalizing for the sake of being confrontational.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #90
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Well yeah. some just kept with it.

I'm not against poetry as an art, i'm just against what most people write as poetry. Also, when put to music, the stupidest of words can sound pretty good. So i'm a lot more lenient on poetry in a song format.

But all slam poets should be lined up and shot.
Before Pop music was invented, Poets were the Rockstars. They partied and lived off of their art and did drugs and were admired by everyone. Pop stars as a whole( Im Including Rock, Pop, and hip hop here) are just the newest incarnanation of that.

I really stand by Lou Reed's musical philosophy. He wrote the lyrics entirely seperate from the music so that they stood up on their own. And Guitar wise he put it perfectly when he said: "One chord is enough, 2 chords is pushing it, 3 chords and you're into Jazz"