i was here today http://www.caesarcreek.com/about.php

Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

That looks awesome tho

Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

has that place ever caught on fire? every good indoor flea market i know has had a fire in the past. the creek had one a couple of years ago and there was one that looked like your picture (a big 4-5 story building) that burned completely down.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #36
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
It's still a major struggle to keep a record store in business.
you do make a pretty good point overall, but RSD does nothing to keep record stores open.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore View Post
RSD does nothing to keep record stores open.
this.

if anything it makes them spend more money on chud that won't sell.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #38
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
you do make a pretty good point overall, but RSD does nothing to keep record stores open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
this.

if anything it makes them spend more money on chud that won't sell.
sounds like someone maybe is a little bitter over waiting in line forever only to be disappointed? I dunno, I have a hard time believing that with all the hype and publicity it gets within music circles, it doesn't do something positive for the overall public awareness and enthusiasm for buying vinyl records. I would also guess that record stores make bank on this day. I'm sure tons of people go for the gimmick and then buy something they weren't planning to because they waited and they are already there and why not. Sounds like good marketing

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #39
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I only got two RSD releases and picked up a few more for a good price.

$27 got me:

Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
Diarrhea Planet - Aloha 7"
The Julie Ruin - Brightside/In the Picture 7"
Lydia Loveless - Mile High/Blind 7" [translucent green]
Thermals - More Parts Per Million
Thermals - No Culture Icons 7"
like this. lots of businesses use gimmicks like this to get people in the door, knowing that a certain percentage of people will buy something regardless of the reason they originally came. I'm not saying you guys are absolutely wrong, but I recently read an article about how fledgling the vinyl resurgence really is, and I think any publicity records get is good.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #40
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
sounds like someone maybe is a little bitter over waiting in line forever only to be disappointed? I dunno, I have a hard time believing that with all the hype and publicity it gets within music circles, it doesn't do something positive for the overall public awareness and enthusiasm for buying vinyl records. I would also guess that record stores make bank on this day.
On this day. ON THIS DAY. Open your ears, for Christ's sake. Nobody is denying that RSD brings in the cash, on the day itself. But overall? No. RSD does nothing to keep record stores open, in the long-term.

do you actually buy/collect vinyl yourself?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #41
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
like this. lots of businesses use gimmicks like this to get people in the door, knowing that a certain percentage of people will buy something regardless of the reason they originally came. I'm not saying you guys are absolutely wrong, but I recently read an article about how fledgling the vinyl resurgence really is, and I think any publicity records get is good.
the people who are REALLY into vinyl - ie, not gimmicks - make purchases like this on a WEEKLY basis. Not having a swing at you, D. Just pointing it out.

gimmicks are not going to keep record stores alive.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #42
I'm Hardcore
Banned

"vinyl resurgence" is nothing new, either. it was a reality well before RSD was established.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #43
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
the people who are REALLY into vinyl - ie, not gimmicks - make purchases like this on a WEEKLY basis. Not having a swing at you, D. Just pointing it out.

naw, i didn't take it as such.

there are three record stores within 3 mins of each other now, plus half price books has gotten into the game a little. wish they were here when you visited!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 AM   #44
D.
Consume my pants.

Question

i do have a question about storage though; are crates fine, or is there a certain way they need to be stored? right now mine are just laying in a small little stack next to my player because i only have like 15-20 vinyls.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #45
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Just turn the stack so they're standing not laying on top of each other.

http://factmag-images.s3.amazonaws.c...-AT8W07491.jpg

Old 04-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #46
redbreegull

Quote:
On this day. ON THIS DAY. Open your ears, for Christ's sake. Nobody is denying that RSD brings in the cash, on the day itself. But overall? No. RSD does nothing to keep record stores open, in the long-term.

do you actually buy/collect vinyl yourself?
Quote:

I do collect vinyl but I'm pretty new to it. I've been spinning my dad's shit for as long as I've been into music. I haven't ever come out for RSD either. I'm not trying to butt heads for no reason, I guess I'm just not really sure I understand your position. Singular sales and advertising gimmicks are not about ensuring that businesses or entire industries are around in decades to come. But they do get people in the door and they do turn profit, which is obviously the goal and a good thing, since we want record stores to stay open. I don't think anyone was saying it was some sort of magic button to propel vinyl back to the forefront of music consumption. It's a sales gimmick. But it gets people excited, it gets artists excited, and it probably makes it a lot easier for shops to pay the rent this month.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #47
redbreegull

wasn't your original argument that like generating fanfare for consumerism is repugnant? and I said what's the big deal they need the business. and then you said it doesn't help the business.... and look honestly I am not an expert if you have info on RSD being ineffective to boost profits I'll concede the point immediately, but I think you already said that it definitely brings in mad $$$$ on this day, like any other sale/novelty thing at any other place that sells shit. I am going to assume it's a good way to do business, otherwise why would anyone bother spending money on advertising/marketing and putting on these sorts of gimmicks? certainly not just for the entertainment of enthusiasts. businesses exist for profit.

if you just think the idea sucks, that's fine you are entitled to your opinion obviously, but I find it hard to believe it doesn't help business. and when you are struggling to pay a lease, every little bit helps

Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #48
I'm Hardcore
Banned

my position is that RSD is NOT about keeping "vinyl culture" alive. It is purely a marketing/one-day money spinning exercise. So we agree on that much!

RSD seems to be shrouded by this pretense that such gimmicks will get people hooked on vinyl. Interested? Sure. But, like drug dealers, record stores need large groups of people to be hooked (ie - regular customers). I would argue that the hardcore collectors aren't really too interested in what RSD has to offer, on the whole.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #49
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
wasn't your original argument that like generating fanfare for consumerism is repugnant? and I said what's the big deal they need the business. and then you said it doesn't help the business.... and look honestly I am not an expert if you have info on RSD being ineffective to boost profits I'll concede the point immediately, but I think you already said that it definitely brings in mad $$$$ on this day, like any other sale/novelty thing at any other place that sells shit. I am going to assume it's a good way to do business, otherwise why would anyone bother spending money on advertising/marketing and putting on these sorts of gimmicks? certainly not just for the entertainment of enthusiasts. businesses exist for profit.
yes i stand by my original argument - i really find the fetishism quite distasteful. It might be a good way to do business, on the particular day. But seriously, it does NOT help a record store in the long-term, and THAT is what needs to be concentrated on.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #50
I'm Hardcore
Banned

it should never really be about money, but that's another argument entirely....

Old 04-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #51
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
i do have a question about storage though; are crates fine, or is there a certain way they need to be stored? right now mine are just laying in a small little stack next to my player because i only have like 15-20 vinyls.
dude come on

ikea expedit

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #52
I'm Hardcore
Banned

WHY DOES ANYBODY NEED TO BUY A WHITE DINOSAUR JR / THE CURE 7" SPLIT

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #53
I'm Hardcore
Banned

or a fucking 'glow in the dark' Ghostbusters theme 10"

Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 AM   #54
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Thumbs down

Quote:
sounds like someone maybe is a little bitter over waiting in line forever only to be disappointed?
no dude

Old 04-20-2014, 03:06 AM   #55
MusicMan4

to be fair here, dopey novelty limited releases are a staple of independent record labels

see especially southern lord

of course it is also necessary for them to do sustainable business by generating hype so what are you gonna do

Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #56
I'm Hardcore
Banned

generating hype for one day does not sustain business.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 AM   #57
MusicMan4

i wasn't talking about record store day exactly

Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #58
I'm Hardcore
Banned

okay well i think Southern Lord does things pretty well tbh

Third Man, on the other hand....

Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #59
Shallowed
Braindead

More like Third Rate, amirite?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #60
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
or a fucking 'glow in the dark' Ghostbusters theme 10"
there was talk that when this was made the new GB movie was still going to be made so it was supposed to be a tie-in. Now it just appears arbitrary.