Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #91
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

i will, once i finish my assignments... maybe tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #92
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

www.myspace.com/arborcest <- most recent recordings.

Still fairly early days for this one, but if you want to check out the old stuff its at www.myspace.com/may151813 . slightly different vibe but yeah...

srsly.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #93
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

not really a song; its the degrassi junior high theme song i made a cover of today.
yeah, im sure all of you are having a good laugh right now but that theme always moved me. and this has been a really shitty time lately...
anyhoo.
what i want is some critique about the recording and mixing - 'production', in general.
so, SOUND ENGINEERS ONLY ...

http://download.yousendit.com/27500F0B34CBA51A

Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #94
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

also, as my recording is about subtlties, listening with headphones will give you a more accurate picture of what's going on

Old 05-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #95
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

ok i thought i'd reply to this even though im really not even half way done.

thanks for anyone who listened to my shit, stuff like ebb and flow and brian why do you curse my heart was improvised with the 8 track running while baked out my tits. if you liked wilt maybe try seraphin out. dream sequins takes a wee while to fade in, its one of the more weirdy ambientish ones. If you guys ever get to listen to the rest, i'd like to hear any more comments, positive or negative, it's all good. You can download the whole lot here so you don't have to stream it - http://www.paulietheboss.com/dls/jeemer.rar (right click and save target as / save link as)

onto other folk, and i've done this in some bizarre order, sendspace was going slow as hell for me. If I say anything negative here please don't take it personally, I'm well aware there are a bunch of flaws in my stuff too, im just trying to be objective.

corksoaker

revolve - Pretty downbeat.. I could imagine it coming in at the credits at the end of some movie like rules of attraction. I'm not sure about the amount of chorus(?) on the vocals though, or the single guitar chords on the beat, they overpower the piano.

spitfire ships - im not liking the chorus on the vocals again, it robs it of intimacy for me. This is my favourite of the three though. Nice lyrics and I really like the piano.

Untitled - Nice bass sound. Nice guitar sound as well. Felt myself wishing it was a bit longer and evolved somewhere though.

cog

coming back home - Nice intro sounds but the drums sound bit annoyingly cheap.. a couple of the piano chords sound off but i like the idea of the melody. Needs more evolution and maybe a bit more padding out with other instruments. Liked the faint right channel organ and the fact the drum beat changed a wee bit around 2 mins. Definite potential for playing around with structure but it goes on a bit too long and becomes kinda aimless.. reminds me of some of my earlier recordings, prefer the piano sound after 3 mins

a new leaf - now the sound of this is a lot more interesting to me when it kicks in, it gets repetitive real fast though. totally loses itself and then gets more interesting again just after the 1 minute mark. Could have gotten really good at 2.20 but it got a bit too chaotic and lost itself again.

my twilight - needs a vocal, even a speech sample would suit it. I think the bass is too prominent and it makes the repetition of it more obvious. Like the strings usage though. Again I found this interesting but it had no real direction.

the end of our lives - comes off as a bit too discordant and random for me right from the start.. not really keen on this one.

rizzy shizzle

king queen jack - Super lofi, whatever that snare sound is, it hurts my soul. Cool break after "king queen jack!" - id be interested to hear a well produced version of this. The bit at 2.20 was cool. It was nice to finally hear the vocals properly just after that.

crazy janey - It makes me think of psychedelia meets a song from the wicker man or something. There's something folky about the feel, dunno if it's just the oompah-ness. The wee lead part is cool. Sound quality is still ass-pancakes though. Liked the wee quieter part after 3.00 with your backing vox.

waltz - I really liked this. It was like the amelie soundtrack meets the cocteau twins. Please rerecord this for me and bump up the qualitiez.

pebble hill march - again, the melody and guitar tone with the main motif reminded me of the wicker man soundtrack for some reason. It goes all amelieish again at about 1.20. Unusual. The snare in this song bugged me though.

brendo

Drum song - ... i liked the eastern sounding motif to start with but the distortion sound is a bit crappy.. bongos(?) were awful and distracting.. drummer seems ok.. singer really puts me off.. came off to me as a maynard wannabe in this song for some reason :/ .. sorry not feeling this

move aside - trying to be a catchy hit too hard.. reminds me of vysion in that.. i would have normally turned this off within the first 10 seconds :/ i really don't like your singer.. erm the lead bit in the chorus was probably the bit i liked best.

excretion - again, came off immediately as an attempt at radio friendly, but the most interesting to my ear.. it kept cutting out though. Singers voice didn't bug me as much in this one but it just felt like something that's been done a lot before.. backing vocals are sounding more competent than the lead singer. Liked the fuzzy bass sound.. Got a lot catchier for a bit just after the 3 minute mark..

deadaswarhol

love - When the poppy bass drum came in i felt a definite tfe influence, dunno if im off base with that. liked the main lead guitar part though. Could be good with vocals I think.

down - happy joy division in space. i dont know what that means. i like the wee chorusy bit, definitely needs vox.

apathy - i see where you're going with this but its a bit clumsily played. all your songs are begging for vox.

1234 - kinda tfe vibe as well.. maybe its just the combination of those 808(?) sounding drums and the swirly feel. drums are a bit high in the mix which is more noticeable when the guitar fades out.

teh bolly

This sounds nice to me from a production point of view.. the lead guitar is maybe a little low in the mix and the drums a little high, the kicks anyway, more noticeable about 0.40-0.50, they seem to dominate it.. I'm unfamiliar with degrassi so if you were trying to recreate it exactly i can't really comment on whether it worked or not...

I'll do the rest tomorrow

Old 05-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #96
???
Minion of Satan

thanks alot mate. about the drum sound though- we haven't got a real drummer, a friend of ours just sort of unenthusiastically provides beats on a bunch of toy drums we've got.

hey netphoria if you know anyone who'd want to drum in my band let me know

Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #97
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Guys, sorry about the production, I'm not a sound engineer.

Also, those are all pretty much demos.

But thanks for your thoughts, really.

If anybody wanted to take some time to give me some more specifics on what they didn't like about the songs, I could use the feedback to help me work on them.

I'm still have some more stuff in this thread to listen too, and I'm gonna try to do some more of it tonight.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #98
RopeyLopey
Braindead

I am posting all the reviews as I go in one post:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...2&postcount=32

I also ex0panded some earlier reviews (Paul, Isle, LDS).

Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #99
spring
die 'til it doesn't hurt

Thumbs up

http://www.myspace.com/xheathergrey

i've really enjoyed listening to these

Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #100
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Jan, the Sendspace link isn't working. May be a temporary sendspace problem though.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #101
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
Jan, the Sendspace link isn't working. May be a temporary sendspace problem though.
it is working for me now. Sendspace did have some problems today, though.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #102
mercurial
$ W▲ G

I'm a sound engineer
I have recordings

but I'm only really interested in sharing them with other buttrock engineers

Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #103
Mayfuck
Banned

luke de spa, peregrine is super nice. probably my favorite from everything posted so far. cork soaker's spitfire ships is a close second. overall i really enjoyed joeri's le joustra stuff best, very nocturnal stuff, very much up my alley. paulie your music soundsl ike something i would have made. everyone else good job even though i didnt really listen to anything else i will just assume your stuff is better than whatever billy corgan is currently writing and thats something so congrats to you all for your talents.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #104
RopeyLopey
Braindead

did listen to everyone except aurel (sometime later)

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...2&postcount=32

I hope you guys find your time to do your part, too. thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #105
cork_soaker
full of longing

i realize i've been slacking, but i'm on it

Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #106
Mayfuck
Banned

i dont have any new songs because i give up. here are some throwaway tracks that i didnt feel like upping so i did a short pastichE(o) medley type thing. oh melody,.[...i meant MEDLEY

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dfg08l

0:00-0:31 has guitar from siraj
2:33-3:10 is a recording of rockin cherub playing drums that i put music over

edit: oh here's a new song i did for 'two minute boners to listen to' comp for hpn.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1sjgxk

Last edited by Mayfuck : 05-23-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #107
Mayfuck
Banned

holy futureembrace@deadaswarhol.

milstead you should up orison somehwere, that is a sweet ass track.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:14 AM   #108
Mayfuck
Banned

how' di know sonic johnny would be noise/dark ambience

Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #109
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

To christhimself: your download link isn't working.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #110
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel
To christhimself: your download link isn't working.
are you sure? just tried it there and it's working fine.. did you right click and save target as / save link as? are you on a mac or something?

edit: if you are you apparently click and hold or option click to get the save link as option

Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #111
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey

deer canada's turn: http://www.sendspace.com/file/foyoc2
(one original and two embellished songs, originally by David Pajo)

songs ******* contributions from the following Netphorians:
pink_ribbon_scars, Oblivious, Obscured01, DeviousJ, sleeper, barden, cork_soaker, Ropes

this thread is a reciprocity thing, right?
I'm a real sucker for lo-fi hissy recordings, especially when they have as much character and interesting stuff as this. Really like the way the spoken vocal on the first song sits on top of everything else coming from a completely different space.

the second song pulls me in really well. maybe it's something that happens when your in a band and you're always recording your jams in a room on a crappy tape recorder with a built in mike that you grow to love those really saturated tape sounds, especially the drums.

Really enjoyed this. I feel like hugging everyone involved.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #112
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
are you sure? just tried it there and it's working fine.. did you right click and save target as / save link as? are you on a mac or something?

edit: if you are you apparently click and hold or option click to get the save link as option
I'm on windows. tried right click and save as, no dice it tries to save a html doc.
If I just click on the link I get lots of this..

Rar!ϐs t6'67h"1y53 01 - Jeemer - Wilt.mp3P UP]_˗eܶUVjf˱csB ,$+ţ+)Q$AW3 @/ԃPTS0SDMBq?3[[XoոΑK_4$ Vcl* ?VŦF>>h[p۝df>>CmHM- co~ΎNm Jk? F%Jh h?@?SS0WI,*i f?_j n`__~߷~Ϙ$aSp?&'{ȑ}H0'

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #113
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Yeah just do that, save it as an html doc and then rename it to jeemer.rar when it's done, it's just cause internet explorer is fucking shite.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #114
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

displays source on-click in firefox too (& i'm on a mac). might be your server settings

Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #115
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Ah ok, doing that now. Thanks.

This part rocks!

P UP]_˗eܶUVjf˱csB ,$+ţ+)Q$AW3 @/ԃPTS0SDMBq?3[[XoոΑK_4$ Vcl* ?VŦF>>h[p۝df>>CmHM- co~ΎNm Jk? F%Jh h?@?SS0WI,*i f?_j n`__~߷~Ϙ$aSp?&'{ȑ}H0'

Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #116
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

yeah im pretty experimental when it comes to my usage of 3[[Xo

lds any ideas how I can get around that or is it a hosting issue?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #117
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

dunno, do you have anything like a plesk control panel you can log into on your domain? i dunno, you might be able to define filetypes and default actions for them or something. i don't really know much about this stuff though; i've had a domain for a year and a half and i still haven't made a web site for it :/

Old 05-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #118
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Worked out when I renamed the file like you said then right clicked on the file and selected open with Win Ace. Listening soon.

Pure buttrock

>>h[p۝df>>CmHM- co~ΎNm Jk? F%Jh h?@?SS0WI,*i f?_j n`__~߷~Ϙ$aSp?&'{ȑ}H0'

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #119
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Here's 5 songs from my band as well for people to check out

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4bvb59

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #120
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
ok i thought i'd reply to this even though im really not even half way done.

thanks for anyone who listened to my shit, stuff like ebb and flow and brian why do you curse my heart was improvised with the 8 track running while baked out my tits. if you liked wilt maybe try seraphin out. dream sequins takes a wee while to fade in, its one of the more weirdy ambientish ones. If you guys ever get to listen to the rest, i'd like to hear any more comments, positive or negative, it's all good. You can download the whole lot here so you don't have to stream it - http://www.paulietheboss.com/dls/jeemer.rar (right click and save target as / save link as)
Hey just finished a first listen. Untitled and Seraphin are the only acoustic tracks I'm feeling. Cool rhythmic/timing stuff going on and really showcases your voice. Hearing a good bit of Mr. Draper in there. The other acoustic stuff seemed a little aimless and wasn't helped by some tuning issues and general guitar sound which for want of a better word sounded "flappy".

The darker ambient stuff is class. Will go into more detail after another listen,