Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #121
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

should i even watch this interview or will it just make me more frustrated with billy corgan?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #122
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

del

Last edited by mayday : 01-14-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #123
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
about the 2-3 song thing...
while selling music on itunes, it's easy to get a sales report for individual songs vs albums, which individual songs...
and myspace players make it even easier to see exactly how many song plays each track gets
plus features like last.fm & itunes genius collecting clouds of information
this easy "at hand" data doesn't need any complex number crunching to understand
billy probably isn't coming to these conclusions for delusional reasons.

billy only ares about his mainstream populous fans. (what was the words he used?)
we're clearly the fringe.
billy only plays superchrist so much because it was the default song when you went to the myspace

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #124
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

I was surprised to hear BC reduce MCIS to a lucky spin on a roulette wheel. I have to admit that this is not my favorite album, despite it's popularity, but it still is musically brilliant and I dont believe that it was luck. When you see him up there talking about Korn and you think about the music and art that he's created, it is so odd. Similar to seeing Nirvana and Greenday having rock songs listed higher on the all time rock songs chart than any of his songs and then bwbw being the song they pick. It is a catchy song but when I think of his guitar heroness that's not the rock song that comes to mind. It's mind boggling.
I'm glad that they are happy to find themselves where they are now, working with nice and talented people, without a record label and keeping true to themselves despite what sells and what doesnt. We wouldnt have any Pumpkins music at all if it were any other way. I think that they are in place and have come thru things that very few artists and bands have and they should be so proud.

Last edited by mayday : 01-14-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #125
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carapatricia View Post
Here Trots, I found this for you:

see i'm making him mad. he's really emotional about it. WHO CARES JESUS CHRIST.

seriously, I'll fight him. He thinks we're all a bunch of cowards that wouldn't say this shit to his face but since he said fuck you to me, i really won't feel bad about it. Something to the effect of:

"Hello Billy. You are 41. Stop whining. Stop worrying so much about being influential and super popular. Be greatful for what you've had and continue to have. You are living a charmed life and you still complain. What the fuck is wrong with you? Who cares what people on the internet think? Why does it bother you? Let me ask you a zen question: If a former Rock Star doesn't have any fans, does anyone hear him complain?

And keep whatever was between you and James Iha between you and James Iha, thanks. Also, Jimmy is an unholy beast."

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 01-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #126
T&T
Socialphobic

here's the link from the tv show
yesterdays link didn't upload properly apparently (and only one person noticed )
Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 AM   #127
foxtrot2000
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by carapatricia View Post
Here Trots, I found this for you:

lol love it!!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #128
threetwooneZERO
Apocalyptic Poster

Bill's been talking for a decade about how the industry is changing and what different methods will be used and what may be successful. I think he is finally acting on what he began talking about 10 years ago.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #129
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
see i'm making him mad. he's really emotional about it. WHO CARES JESUS CHRIST.

seriously, I'll fight him. He thinks we're all a bunch of cowards that wouldn't say this shit to his face but since he said fuck you to me, i really won't feel bad about it. Something to the effect of:

"Hello Billy. You are 41. Stop whining. Stop worrying so much about being influential and super popular. Be greatful for what you've had and continue to have. You are living a charmed life and you still complain. What the fuck is wrong with you? Who cares what people on the internet think? Why does it bother you? Let me ask you a zen question: If a former Rock Star doesn't have any fans, does anyone hear him complain?

And keep whatever was between you and James Iha between you and James Iha, thanks. Also, Jimmy is an unholy beast."
like he's going to fucking listen to your opinion anyway. he only hears what he wants to hear and see what he wants to see.

it's also arrogant on your part to assume that he actually gives a shit about your thoughts on him. if i remember right he was responding to some fan saying 'billy corgan is dead to me,' which is just a lame thing to say in the first place about anyone and deserves a punch in the face. I'm sure he'd be more open to discussing whatever issue a fan may have, just as long as it's productive and reasonable. But a fan who just isn't feelin' it anymore for this band, should just move on.

seriously, how many fans who no longer enjoy this band still roam this board on a daily basis and complain? I mean he's obviously made it apparent that he's going to continue on with what he's doing now, and could care less about what you think.. sooo why bother? he doesnt have the same # of fans that he did in '96, but like it or not, he does still have a crowd of people who appreciate what he/SP is doing.

also, why do people fail to see his sense of humor? a lot of what he was saying, as far as i could gather, was just him being humorous. I swear to fuck, pumpkins fans have no senses of humor and are better off hanging from a noose. i mean seriously i was hanging out after one of the shows amongst some of the hardcore fans (waiting for bolly), and anytime omeone would crack a lighthearted joke not one of you fucks would smile. What is wrong with you people? took too much abuse from mom and dad? insecure with how fat and ugly you are? christ jump in front of a fucking truck and end it already. No wonder half you morons can;t enjoy this bands music! you hate life itself!

go with jesus.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #130
Shallowed
Braindead

WE LOVE YOU BILLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 AM   #131
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

the thing that is confusing (well, one of the things) is that he talks about how he & Jimmy are free to do whatever, they don't care about being popular, they can write whatever they want.....

and then you expect him to say "because we know our hardcore fans will understand and appreciate that, even if they don't always like the musical directions we take".

but he never does. recently when he mentions the fans, he's always talking about the "average" fans. I just find it inexplicable that he doesn't get that even a fairly big SP fan probably hasn't heard superchrist, as rome burns, song for a son, and owata, and would have a difficult time really getting into the songs at the show.

that's somehow offensive to him and his vision of what the band is? that's the kind of talk I don't get from him.

and with respect to MCIS, I don't think he was saying it was a fluke they recorded something as good as MCIS, I think he was saying it was a fluke it "resonated" with so many millions of people in the 90s.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #132
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
like he's going to fucking listen to your opinion anyway. he only hears what he wants to hear and see what he wants to see.
I just want him to throw a punch. You're assuming a whole lot. The whole operating premise is that "negative fans hide behind the computer" and what not. Hey guy, he said fuck you to me, I bought 9 of his albums or something. I don't have the right to tell him to get bent?

I have no sense of humor. Now that's funny.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #133
*TL*
Pledge

Of course some of our comments can hurt him, Billy is human...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #134
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I just want him to throw a punch. You're assuming a whole lot. The whole operating premise is that "negative fans hide behind the computer" and what not. Hey guy, he said fuck you to me, I bought 9 of his albums or something. I don't have the right to tell him to get bent?

I have no sense of humor. Now that's funny.
Right, on his end he works hard, spends a lot of his money to record, put on shows, travel, etc. etc., (of course he profits, but still, he has expenses that i'm sure he questions bothering with), only to have some fans tell him to get bent. He has every right to say fuck you to you. And can you find me a direct quote in this interview where he says the fans hide behind the computer? I think I missed that. He's had fans come up to him after shows on this recent tour and complain, and he's told them to get off his ass.

So you bought nine of his albums.. that means he made about 9 bucks off of you (maybe less). I don't think he really gives a fuck about your input. If you really want to complain about money lost, take it up with virgin or warner seeing as they have profited most from your purchases. Get on their case for promoting a whiny, self loathing fuck for so long and complain about how you were unfairly baited into buying his records.

Also, I didn't say YOU didn't have a sense of humor. I guess you assumed I was talking directly to you for whatever reason.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #135
*TL*
Pledge

Quote:
Right, on his end he works hard, spends a lot of his money to record, put on shows, travel, etc. etc., (of course he profits, but still, he has expenses that i'm sure he questions bothering with), only to have some fans tell him to get bent. He has every right to say fuck you to you. And can you find me a direct quote in this interview where he says the fans hide behind the computer? I think I missed that. He's had fans come up to him after shows on this recent tour and complain, and he's told them to get off his ass.
+ 10000

I mean, as people has the right to say "fuck" to him and complain about his records or shows, he has the right to fuck them back...I think it's just fair
He won't give his other cheek for you to slap him again , who do you think he is, Jesus Christ ?

amen

Last edited by *TL* : 01-15-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #136
paranoid
Minion of Satan

let's be fair here. let's help those who feel like they are owed something get their money back.

so lets assume you've bought 10 of Billy's records.

$10.

Let's assume you've attended a concert from everyone of his major tours since 1996. Travel expenses don't count, those are your responsibility, not his.

Let's assume each ticket cost you $50. After show expenses (paying management, promoter, venue fees, employees of the band, band members, travel expenses, etc), Billy has probably pocketed $5 of ticket money.

so..

MCIS tour - $5
Adore tour (doesnt count, all went to charity, you should feel a light growing inside of you).
Arising- $5
Machina- $5
Machina farewell concerts- $5
Zwan tour- $10 (altogether the average fan most likely went to 2 zwan shows)
TFE tour- $5
Zeitgeist tour- $5
August 08 tour - $5
Anniversary tour - $5

again, this is assuming you went to all of those shows. So for album totals and shows, Billy has personally made $60 from you. My advice for you would be to drive up to wherever the fuck he lives these days, and personally ask for your $60 back. I'm sure BC would be more than happy to give you your $60 back if it means getting you off of his ass.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #137
RADIOHEADISGOD
Oblivious Virgin

The question isn't how much Billy made; it's how much people have spent.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #138
*TL*
Pledge

I think "money' is not the question...that's all.

it's about disapointed fans that they didn't have what they have expected, and a mucisian that want to do what he wants and be understood and free.

the issue, according to me, is: both sides are expecting too much from the other

Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #139
paranoid
Minion of Satan

no the issue is that the people on both sides of the argument are incredibly miserable.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #140
Trotskilicious
Banned

I'm feeling great bro. Like G-R-E-A-T. I taught kids about John Brown today and got them excited about history.

Usually people don't really give a shit what other people say and appreciate the fans they have. Corgan seems to wish he had more fans and was more respected. It's like he's never happy with what he's had or what he still has. He should be thankful and greatful that he's lived such a charmed life. And as far as this ridiculous total cost breakdown, does Rod Blagojevich owe every person that voted for him? Of course he does. You can't go "oh well you really have no excuse to criticize Blago beause after all you were just one vote." THat's a fucking stupid thing to say, and I voted for the Smashing Pumpkins every time I bought tickets, bought a CD, or bought a tee-shirt. All I'm asking in return is for him to stop whining about people attacking him.

And why is this always the debate? Why are there people out there that still think that nobody should ever say anything bad ever? You want to live in China or what?

Why do people apologize and make excuses for this guy? You don't think there's any correlation between what he says and his ever declining respet of people at large? I had friends of mine laughing about "we're a singles band" and they don't even like the Pumpkins and they didn't hear about it from me. He's a fucking laughing stock and Billy's whining about how he's not relevant or super popular anymore is a major reason why.

I mean JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. Is there any bigger anus in the whole of rock music outside of Axl Rose? And why can't I say this? Because it hurts your feelings? Because you don't agree? Lord in heaven.

And lastly, I've had and continue to get plenty of nasty low blow attacks on me on the internet. Do I go out and complain about how people on the internet are making fun of me? NO BECAUSE IT'S THE INTERNET AND I DON'T FUCKING CARE WHAT THEY THINK.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 01-15-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #141
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TL* View Post
and a mucisian that want to do what he wants and be understood and free.
No, he's had and continues to have that but he's still whining. Why?

Why do you defend it?

I don't care if he wants to do TFE or Zwan or whatever, just don't complain when they don't sell great. Just do your thing and just fucking do it.

This isn't about whether or not I thought Zeitgeist was shitty or not. This is about what he's said. How do you turn a blind eye to this behavior? I'm not criticizing the music, I'm criticizing his behavior and what he says. It's intolerable.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #142
Trotskilicious
Banned

I mean he's saying "fuck you" to his fans for christ's sake for asking him to play songs. I can't even believe this is even a debate.

"You like that song? Thank you!"

not

FUCK YOU GET OFF MY BACK GOD SHIT FUCK LEAVE ME ALONE FUCK OFF FUCK YOU FUCK FUCK FUCK

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #143
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
no the issue is that the people on both sides of the argument are incredibly miserable.

"I'm in love with my sadness..."

and the very next line

"bullshit fakers, enchanted kingdoms..."

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #144
Trotskilicious
Banned

If he's miserable then he may need to do something else with his life. He must be doing something wrong if he's 41 and still stuck in 1994.

Seriously people.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #145
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm feeling great bro. Like G-R-E-A-T. I taught kids about John Brown today and got them excited about history.
good for you.

Quote:
Usually people don't really give a shit what other people say and appreciate the fans they have. Corgan seems to wish he had more fans and was more respected. It's like he's never happy with what he's had or what he still has. He should be thankful and greatful that he's lived such a charmed life. And as far as this ridiculous total cost breakdown, does Rod Blagojevich owe every person that voted for him? Of course he does. You can't go "oh well you really have no excuse to criticize Blago beause after all you were just one vote." THat's a fucking stupid thing to say, and I voted for the Smashing Pumpkins every time I bought tickets, bought a CD, or bought a tee-shirt. All I'm asking in return is for him to stop whining about people attacking him.
I had some moron compare politics to the pumpkins in a discussion the other day. Rod Blagojevich's actions affect many, many people, so yes he owes every person that voted for him. Billy's actions don't amount to shit. I'm not telling you your purchases are irrelevant, i'm telling you to get you 60 bucks back and let it go once and for all. Yeah you can say something bad about billy, we all have, but it's brought us NOWHERE. he's a stubborn fuck and he's gonna do it however he wants. it's his instinct, possibly from being smashed in the face by a belt one too many times as a kid, to argue back. he's told the fans countless times in the past few months to just go away. So it's completely pointless for you to spend time and energy complaining, especially if you haven't enjoyed a damn thing this man has done in the past few years. His life should be completely irrelevant to you. He really, seriously, doesn't owe you shit. I think he's done as much as he possibly can for the fans, but he can;t please everybody. Like he said to one fan, give him a million bucks and he'll play a personal concert for you, whatever the fuck you want to hear.

Quote:
And why is this always the debate? Why are there people out there that still think that nobody should ever say anything bad ever? You want to live in China or what?
say whatever yo want, but it's a waste of energy at this point. if you are so put off by his whining, ignore it. if he's such a laughing stock in public now, discontinue your association with him.

Quote:
Why do people apologize and make excuses for this guy? You don't think there's any correlation between what he says and his ever declining respet of people at large? I had friends of mine laughing about "we're a singles band" and they don't even like the Pumpkins and they didn't hear about it from me. He's a fucking laughing stock and Billy's whining about how he's not relevant or super popular anymore is a major reason why.
again.... whhhhhhy is it so important to you? why why why why? so you've figured it out. he's a poser, angry loser dolt. he's no longer the same hero he was to you in 1996. find a new hero and move on.

Quote:
I mean JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. Is there any bigger anus in the whole of rock music outside of Axl Rose? And why can't I say this? Because it hurts your feelings? Because you don't agree? Lord in heaven.
because everyone already knows this. it's a tired game to say it now. tired game for a tired band with tired fans. you have as hard enough time getting over it as billy does. So how does that make you any better than him? it doesn't you are just as whiny as he is.

Quote:
And lastly, I've had and continue to get plenty of nasty low blow attacks on me on the internet. Do I go out and complain about how people on the internet are making fun of me? NO BECAUSE IT'S THE INTERNET AND I DON'T FUCKING CARE WHAT THEY THINK.
bullshit. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT.

Last edited by paranoid : 01-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #146
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:

This isn't about whether or not I thought Zeitgeist was shitty or not. This is about what he's said. How do you turn a blind eye to this behavior? I'm not criticizing the music, I'm criticizing his behavior and what he says. It's intolerable.
he's been this way since 1998. 10 years ago. at this point, if you are still a fan, you listen to the music and avoid his childish behavior. it's eating his career up. but to continue bitching about it, well it's like giving a screaming child the attention he wants. you're only allowing yourself to be a part of the drama. so either enjoy his music and avoid him, or just give up on the fuck altogether.

also, jimmy probably owes you about 60 bucks as well. you can try to take it up with james and darcy too, but they'll probably just sue you.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #147
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

This interview was one of the more refreshing ones of late, and I personally thought Billy seemed in good spirits, capable of dealing with things in a healthy human way, who really seems to have a clear sense of identity, even if it doesn't all seem to add up. I've been on Netphoria since 1998 and the vibe here towards Billy has been largely been in turn viscious, mocking, and completely unsupportive of everything he's done since that time. And its' been the same cast of characters too. Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in that crowd of old school fans who thinks Billy's done his share of cringe inducing antics/dissapointing material in those invervening years, but I actually think this "fuck you, I'll do what I want" attitude might help make us all a little less pathalogically neurotic towards the band. We're all in our twenties now, we SHOULD have better things to do than act like Billy owes us anything. He's given me countless hours of deep existential comfort and provided the sountrack to my youth. I think he's more than willing to meet us halfway on constructive criticism but I can see how the constant demonizing and dehumanizing that goes on with the misanthropic crowd pushes him to the point where he's not afraid to throw a punch back. I'd love to see him make the Pumpkins the best band in the world again, but if that's not in the cards than its not like I'm stuck. It's his fucking band.

Oh, and I think he ended up being right about Superchrist. The recorded version and the one on If All Goes Wrong suck, but it's kind of cool to see that song evolve from THAT into the beast that it is now. I think overall the band is really starting to find its identity now, and this whole anti-album thing is probably diversionary. I think a lot of the things he says and does is just to provoke a dialogue.

Last edited by Fathoms (unadored) : 01-15-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #148
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I just can't believe the fucking politics comparison. Politicians are the ones running the country/world, the powers that can take sole responsibility for the quality of your life. SP, makes music, like many other rock bands in the entertainment industry. If you take a band THAT seriously, where they have some sort of impact on the overall quality of your life, well then you have some issues that I wouldn't blame Billy and Co. not wanting to have anything to do with.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #149
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

I recently finished reading a biography on Jim Morrison. The fact that the guy was an asshole, a drunk, exhibited occaisonal mysogyny, put on more than his share of trainwreck performances, and released a lot of mediocre material after the flawlessness of the first two Doors records doesn't change my opionon for a second that he's one of my hero's and I'm grateful that he was alive and made the art that he did. People really need to have some fucking perspective when it comes to examining what it is about music that compels their interest in the first place.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #150
redbull
Immortal

i wouldn't call any doors albums mediocre except for the soft parade