Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #271
celeb_death
Amish Rake Fighter

shoulda thrown a 'though' at the end of that thread. bad grammar. thats what you get for QLD state education!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #272
Revenant
Pledge

Vitology is their best effort IMO.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #273
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

Any rumors about a fall US tour yet?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #274
darcyismybass
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: makin movies, makin songs and fightin 'round the world

A combination of Vitalogy and Yield would be their best album...but both are very good.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #275
HairwayToSteven
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeb_death
you;'re right about the 90s thing. i didnt really get no code when it was released and sorta forgot about them. i reaquainted myself in like 2001 after binaural came out and went beackwards to no code and yield. i think this was a cool way to do it coz my youthful exuberance was gone and i was after a 'different' pearl jam. and they won me over again. riot act was a little disappointing.
I think no code is a fantastic album, one of my favs from them, though nothing beats ten.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #276
cutuphalfdead
Amish Rake Fighter

Best band in the world. I'd rank the albums as follows:
Yield
Ten
No Code
VS
Binaural
Vitalogy
Pearl Jam
Riot Act

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #277
cutuphalfdead
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Vitology is their best effort IMO.
Yeah, what about Vitalogy?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #278
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutuphalfdead View Post
Best band in the world. I'd rank the albums as follows:
Yield
Ten
No Code
VS
Binaural
Vitalogy
Pearl Jam
Riot Act
I'll rank them as follows:

Vs.
Vitalogy
Yield
No Code
Pearl Jam
Ten
Binaural
Riot Act

Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #279
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutuphalfdead View Post
Best band in the world.

Do you have the same name on RM?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #280
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I don't really understand putting VS first. There are some great songs on it, but there are also some blatantly mediocre songs on it.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #281
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't really understand putting VS first. There are some great songs on it, but there are also some blatantly mediocre songs on it.
I'd say most of their albums are like that.

I enjoyed Ten when it came out, but it was albums like Vs., Siamese Dream, Achtung Baby and Automatic for the People that really got me into music in the early 90s.

I love the production on Vs., and overall I think it's the strongest album. Vitalogy has too much fluff, and Yield has a few clunkers (Pilate), but those 3 albums have switched the #1 album spot from time to time.

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't have Binaural and Riot Act second-last and last.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #282
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't have Binaural and Riot Act second-last and last.
Because No Code is last.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #283
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
Because No Code is last.
I wish I could give 10 reps

Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #284
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
VS. is my fav PJ album also. its the overall vibe, cohesivness and energetic flow of the album that i like. as well as the production.

many of my fav PJ songs, including my top fav, are on other albums....but VS. i still feel is the overall best. its not as bloated as vitology nor is it as clean in production quality as ten. and i think thats one of the great things about it.

i never got into any other album other than 3 i've mentioned in this post. seeing them in 95 was one of the best shows i have ever seen.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #285
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
nor is it as clean in production quality as ten.
Uh, have you listened to Ten?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #286
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

maybe i should have said "nor is it as clean sounding as ten". his voice, the guitar tone, its just all sounds smoother on Ten than on VS, which sounds a little more abrasive/gritty. maybe its just the pedals and stuff they are using.

i guess you can argue either way depending on what aspect of the production you focus on. you get my overall point don't you? listening to VS. just seems less forced and more "garage band"-ish to me.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #287
Andy /

I have to guess that you're referring more to how they're playing on the record rather than how it sounds on the record. Because I just don't know where you're hearing "smoother" or "cleaner". Ten is by far their muddiest recording. People REJOICED when they found out that three of the Ten tracks on the hits album were going to be remixed.

Not trying to take away how you feel about it here, I just can't see where you're coming from if you're indeed referring to the sound of the record.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #288
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

there ain't nothin muddy about ten

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #289
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
maybe i should have said "nor is it as clean sounding as ten". his voice, the guitar tone, its just all sounds smoother on Ten than on VS, which sounds a little more abrasive/gritty. maybe its just the pedals and stuff they are using.

i guess you can argue either way depending on what aspect of the production you focus on. you get my overall point don't you? listening to VS. just seems less forced and more "garage band"-ish to me.
the songs themselves are more "raw" maybe is what you're trying to say? Rick Parashar completely overmixed Ten. Listen to the Evenflow re-recorded in London from the Alive single and you'll see what I'm talking about. FWIW I think the "muddy" sound only really worked on Black and Oceans, and possibly Release. Even the originals that were remastered don't sound clean - I guess when Palmer recorded them, he fucked something up as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #290
redbreegull

I really enjoy every song from Ten. They all come across as very powerful, significant, and emotional to me. Whereas on VS they sort of brought in this groovy thing, I don't know how else to explain it, but I have never liked that side of the band. Just listening to the beat of Glorified G drives me up the wall. It's just so... bouncy? funky? I really don't know what the right word is.

Also the production on Ten has never bothered me, I have always enjoyed the muddiness. The only thing I have ever noticed about it is that there are random odd vocal noises at times, seemingly made by Vedder and left in the final mix.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #291
dustrock
debunked!

Quote:
The only thing I have ever noticed about it is that there are random odd vocal noises at times, seemingly made by Vedder and left in the final mix.
5/5

No Code used to be lower for me, but I've enjoyed hearing Hail, Hail, In My Tree, Smile, and particularly Off He Goes and Red Mosquito live.

I like Binaural and Riot Act's okay, but I don't think either album has an absolute "classic" Pearl Jam song.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #292
redbreegull

Quote:
5/5

No Code used to be lower for me, but I've enjoyed hearing Hail, Hail, In My Tree, Smile, and particularly Off He Goes and Red Mosquito live.

I like Binaural and Riot Act's okay, but I don't think either album has an absolute "classic" Pearl Jam song.
I keep reading your name as "dustcock" even though I try not to. My bad, thread derailment.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #293
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
I have to guess that you're referring more to how they're playing on the record rather than how it sounds on the record. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
the songs themselves are more "raw" maybe is what you're trying to say? Rick Parashar completely overmixed Ten. Listen to the Evenflow re-recorded in London from the Alive single and you'll see what I'm talking about. FWIW I think the "muddy" sound only really worked on Black and Oceans, and possibly Release. Even the originals that were remastered don't sound clean - I guess when Palmer recorded them, he fucked something up as well.

yea, you guys are both right. putting it that way makes more sense.

and i completely agree with your comment about Black, Oceans and Relase, Nimrod's Son. If you haev that redux of Evenflow I would love to check it out.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #294
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
I really enjoy every song from Ten. They all come across as very powerful, significant, and emotional to me. Whereas on VS they sort of brought in this groovy thing, I don't know how else to explain it, but I have never liked that side of the band. Just listening to the beat of Glorified G drives me up the wall. It's just so... bouncy? funky? I really don't know what the right word is.

i know what you're trying to say...and thats exactly what i like aboout VS overall, though Glorified G may be the farthest end of the happy beat spectrum.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #295
Andy /

Arrow

I fucking love Glorified G and I don't give a fuck what any of you say about it.

Chew on that.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #296
Andy /

Bitches.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #297
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
5/5

Binaural is one of my favorite albums.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #298
Nimrod's Son

Anyone else going to any of Ed's solo gigs?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #299
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

his show at the Vic last year was pretty awesome (just before PJ headlined lolla). much more rockin than i thought it would be. i was just surprised that considering the timing he didn't play a bunch of the Into The Wild stuff.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #300
dustrock
debunked!

I'd love to go if I had time/money.

I'm assuming he's going to play some PJ stuff, since half the Into the Wild songs are like 90 seconds long....