Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default If Teargarden was one album

If teargarden wasn't the shit show failure it turned out to be and one album's worth of songs was left, which songs would you pick for that album?

One And All
My Love is Winter
Song For a Son
The Celestial
Violet Rays
One Diamond One Heart
Dorian
Pinwheels
Tiberius
Glissandra
Inkless
Drum and Fife
Cottonwood Symphony

Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

it would still suck.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

shut the fuck up, scotty.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #4
trevorbrooks
Demi-God

i feel like this thread has been made 3 times before. blah blah none of them sound like they're even from the same album blah blah consistency blah blah different mastering blah blah it'd still suck blah blah polish a turd.

i don't hate all SP 2.0 material, but that's the consensus on this.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I like your list, Scott, except needs more Tom Tom

I like when bill goes "here comes the morning man" reminds me when we used to sing "here comes the muffin man" in kindercare

wtf is a morning man? I dunno but I like it

Old 03-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
bigoltitties
Pledge

OWATA BEAUTIFUL NIGHT!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
sjpaterra
Ownz

you're missing...

when the cocks crow
as rome burns
gossamer (perhaps a modest 12-minute version?)
the march hare
quasar

SP albums require the heavier barn-burning material... they just suck balls as a 'radiohead' or whatever....

Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
you're missing...

when the cocks crow
as rome burns
the march hare
quasar

SP albums require the heavier barn-burning material... they just suck balls as a 'radiohead' or whatever....
quasar sucks and the rest weren't ever released under the Teargarden fiasco

Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbrooks View Post
i feel like this thread has been made 3 times before.
no i've only made it twice

Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
you're missing...

when the cocks crow
as rome burns
the march hare
quasar

So...adore sucked balls, then? Or just licked sack?

Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

whoa

Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #12
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
I like your list, Scott, except needs more Tom Tom

I like when bill goes "here comes the morning man" reminds me when we used to sing "here comes the muffin man" in kindercare

wtf is a morning man? I dunno but I like it
I thought Morning Man was like a metaphor for the inspiration he gets in the morning because he apparently writes his music right after he wakes up

Something like that

Old 03-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #13
sjpaterra
Ownz

Adore is where the band started doing the "cringeworthy shit"

Adore is my least favourite 88-2000 album

Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
Ram27
dumb

Same.

Once Billy started wearing eyeliner live the band dropped in mystique and quality

Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
T&T
Socialphobic

maybe billy lost his songwriting powers along with his hair?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Billy has ALWAYS done cringeworthy shit.

also, Adore is incredible, probably my favorite SP album, 88-forever... so shut up you jerks!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

speaking of TbK being "one album," does anyone think Bill-E WON'T repackage everything, '09 through the new album, as "The Complete TbK" or some shit?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
quasar sucks and the rest weren't ever released under the Teargarden fiasco
well, since they debuted as rome burns around the same time they started playing owata and a song for a son, and when the cocks crow was demoed and played live with that backwards clock society or whatever, i think it's fair to say that they're ALL 'teargarden' era

Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #19
sjpaterra
Ownz

and your list had dorian and one and all on it... you don't even get the teargarden concept, man... you're just a fairweather fan... all about the hits... recording 45-second clips of today and tonite on your phone... BOOOOO

Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb The Moon View Post
speaking of TbK being "one album," does anyone think Bill-E WON'T repackage everything, '09 through the new album, as "The Complete TbK" or some shit?
maybe he'll remix and remaster everything from 09 - to monuments, with a resequenced tracklisting that best shows his original vision for the teargarden by kaleidyscope concept, including unreleased studio versions of all your favourite teargarden era tracks... but contractual disputes with kerry brown will see it shelved until 2032

Old 03-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #21
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Just think, Teargarden sounded so awful that after Billy shit-canned him, Kerry went to Hipsters United just to point out that he, in fact, did NOT produce Teargarden.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
sjpaterra
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Just think, Teargarden sounded so awful that after Billy shit-canned him, Kerry went to Hipsters United just to point out that he, in fact, did NOT produce Teargarden.
well, he failed then as someone who was around constantly... a shitty friend at best if he didn't even step in to suggest anything that would improve the final result.

and his work on the reissues sucked, too. KB is just passing the buck... this is the guy that married d'arcy... his whole life is a mess and he sucks at what he does. Fuck KB

Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #23
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Cottonwood Symphony
Quasar
One and All
The Celestials
Astral Planes
Violet Rays
Oceania
Song for a Son
Being Beige
Tiberius
Inkless
Freak

idk man

Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #24
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

SAMURAI MIKE

Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #25
zbeast78
Ownz

after having recently spun or at least skimmed all 3 of the pumpkins recent releases (teargarden songs, oceania, MTaE); it's safe to say oceania is by far the least offensive of the 3. yeah it's not very good, but it's not embarrassingly bad like the other 2. I forgot just how cringe-worthy some of the MTAE songs are. i've never made it more than about 20 seconds into Anti-Hero and i probably never will.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #26
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Remember though that MTAE is a concept album. Howard Stern actually decoded what Billy meant when he said it was a tribute to what the public thought the band was. Pretty brilliant concept, imo. If you listen to the record from that perspective - a band imitating a former iteration of itself that never was in the first place, giving people what they think they want - it's by far the best of the three. And it's short, that's why it beats Oceania. That record is five songs too long.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #27
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Remember though that MTAE is a concept album. Howard Stern actually decoded what Billy meant when he said it was a tribute to what the public thought the band was. Pretty brilliant concept, imo. If you listen to the record from that perspective - a band imitating a former iteration of itself that never was in the first place, giving people what they think they want - it's by far the best of the three. And it's short, that's why it beats Oceania. That record is five songs too long.
So bill gets a pass on EMTEA because instead of writing and recording an album of songs he felt/meant/believed in as an artist, he did the exact opposite as some kind of smartass concept?

Fuck that. It's always some excuse with bill. "Oh no I MEANT it to be empty pop, because, uh, that's what people think they want! So, uh, I'm still a genius!"

Also who is bill to decide what we "think we want?" I want bill to start acting like a musician who gives a fuck about music again, plain and simple. Pretty sure the handful of people still paying attention want the same

Old 03-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
I think that whole decoded meaning is BS anyway... if they were imitating a former iteration, where's the lyrics known from their former iteration? That album was ruined mostly by having no real lyrics and just Billy repeating the same lines over and over. You wanna call Siamese Dream their more commercial release, but it still had meaningful lyrics. Monuments was Billy Corgan being half assed about writing. And honestly, if that was Billy's goal with the album's meaning... then he failed. It should have been a hit then. Because it's what Billy "thought" people wanted from the band. Guess what? They didn't. I didn't really enjoy Oceania, but there was thought and meaning there. I end up listening to it more than Elegy because lyrically and musically, Oceania is superior. Oceania was actually quite accepted and enjoyed, so why this Elegy BS? You just stepped on everything you built upon after the failed Teargarden stuff. Billy was heading in the right direction just to treat Elegy as some amusing joke about what he thinks people want and expect. He obviously guessed wrong.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also, bill's published comments (catalogued and easily referenced in a thread on this very site) during the recording of EMTEA belie any suggestion he was following some grand concept. No. Simply stated, bill was trying to get on the radio again. He wants teenagers to be humming "we are we are so young do do do" the way they are singing along to the band fun's "toniggggght we are young."

There is no concept. There is just a sorrow pod with an infinite belly

Old 03-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #30
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I think that whole decoded meaning is BS anyway... if they were imitating a former iteration, where's the lyrics known from their former iteration? That album was ruined mostly by having no real lyrics and just Billy repeating the same lines over and over. You wanna call Siamese Dream their more commercial release, but it still had meaningful lyrics. Monuments was Billy Corgan being half assed about writing. And honestly, if that was Billy's goal with the album's meaning... then he failed. It should have been a hit then. Because it's what Billy "thought" people wanted from the band. Guess what? They didn't. I didn't really enjoy Oceania, but there was thought and meaning there. I end up listening to it more than Elegy because lyrically and musically, Oceania is superior. Oceania was actually quite accepted and enjoyed, so why this Elegy BS? You just stepped on everything you built upon after the failed Teargarden stuff. Billy was heading in the right direction just to treat Elegy as some amusing joke about what he thinks people want and expect. He obviously guessed wrong.
You missed the point. The "former iteration" that Bill was imitating on MTAE never existed. He was imitating a version of the band that the public thought they wanted that never was in the first place.