Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #61
T&T
Minion of Satan
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 9,100
Default

Quote:
We quickly forget that she was once a Disney kid, and part of what makes Miley seem dangerous in the culture is because of where she came from,"
I wonder why he changed his tune on Disney kids? Did he not know back in 2000 that Britney Spears was also a Disney Kid?
Quote:
Smashing Pumpkins said on Tuesday (May 23) they will break up at the end of the ye "There's nothing wrong inside the band," founder and singer/guitarist Billy Corgan said on Los Angeles radio station KROQ-FM. "But the way the culture is and stuff, it's hard to keep trying to fight the good fight against the Britneys," he said, referring to Britney Spears and other teen pop sensations.

but then again this happened in 2008:

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #62
inkless
Pledge
 
Posts: 155
Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0oAa-pPWM
Saturday Sessions: William Patrick Corgan performs "The Long Goodbye"

 
inkless is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #63
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 25,857
Default

Quote:
The alt-rock icon, who just released the brilliant album Monuments To An Elegy, was speaking to French radio station Oui FM when asked about the 'Wrecking Ball' star.
.

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #64
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
dude it's a 2 hour show & he's 50 and has written over a thousand songs, i think the ipad is reasonable
I dunno man. If he's charging big money for these shows, the least he can do is learn the lyrics. You don't see guys like Green Day or Foo Fighters needing prompters... Not that I'm championing them or anything, it's just always been shitty optics for me when I see artists needing them.

I've always thought it was lame when I'd see guys like Weiland and Ozzy glued to teleprompters for some of their biggest hits. It's like come on man.... really?

I think some of these rock stars just take for granted the dream job that they get to do for a living. It's why I appreciate a lot of these punk bands who never have the big money but stick it out anyways. You'd never see a group with a large catalogue like The Ramones or SNFU using teleprompters.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #65
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpaterra View Post
I'm at the Toronto show. Im surprised by the amount of empty seats
Apparently some of the shows are being discounted and added to the website Groupon.com. Monte made a post about it on Reddit lol.

Pretty weak that a guy like Corgan can't sell out the intimate venues he's playing.

I think it's the whole "William Patrick Corgan" thing that's pissing people off. If he just toured as Billy Corgan it would hold more weight I think. But people hear William Patrick Corgan and just think "Oh please".

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #66
Ram27
Minion of Satan
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: mayfair mistress of the satellites
Posts: 5,610
Default

yeah whenever I see someone saying 'WPC' i think they're lame

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #67
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Yeah, guy should just own it.

In the late 90's Charlie Sheen tried to change his name to Charles Sheen and everyone laughed and thought he was an idiot and it didn't stick.

If you're in show-business and lucky enough to have a name that is identifiable then you should really just embrace it. Just another notch in the belt to add to Corgans long list of bad career choices.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #68
T&T
Minion of Satan
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 9,100
Default

Billy has even said using William is a joke, and he thinks journalists are stupid for going along with it.

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #69
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Grox's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I dunno man. If he's charging big money for these shows, the least he can do is learn the lyrics. You don't see guys like Green Day or Foo Fighters needing prompters... Not that I'm championing them or anything, it's just always been shitty optics for me when I see artists needing them.

I've always thought it was lame when I'd see guys like Weiland and Ozzy glued to teleprompters for some of their biggest hits. It's like come on man.... really?

I think some of these rock stars just take for granted the dream job that they get to do for a living. It's why I appreciate a lot of these punk bands who never have the big money but stick it out anyways. You'd never see a group with a large catalogue like The Ramones or SNFU using teleprompters.
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour. you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?

 
Grox is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #70
Brisk
Pledge
 
Brisk's Avatar
 
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Apparently some of the shows are being discounted and added to the website Groupon.com. Monte made a post about it on Reddit lol.

Pretty weak that a guy like Corgan can't sell out the intimate venues he's playing.

I think it's the whole "William Patrick Corgan" thing that's pissing people off. If he just toured as Billy Corgan it would hold more weight I think. But people hear William Patrick Corgan and just think "Oh please".
Are you kidding... Green day and foo fighters play the same fucking setlist everyday. As someone said Billy has written over 1000 songs. He's so much more complex than those 2 bands out together.

 
Brisk is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #71
T&T
Minion of Satan
 
T&T's Avatar
 
Location: montreal
Posts: 9,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour.
but I agree with you

 
T&T is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #72
FoolofaTook
Braindead
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 17,373
Default

When I saw Boris Takeshi knew all the lines by heart AND he was singing in a weird foreign language.

Major props.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #73
paranoid
Apocalyptic Poster
 
paranoid's Avatar
 
Location: up a tree
Posts: 4,723
Default

Who cares if he has the lyrics in front of him? I think we’re digging a little too deep here to complain about something.

 
paranoid is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #74
FoolofaTook
Braindead
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: The Walla Wallaean Vale
Posts: 17,373
Default

Or we've just exhausted the obvious theme (the music) after 17 years of suckage.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #75
patj825
Pledge
 
patj825's Avatar
 
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Who cares if he has the lyrics in front of him? I think we’re digging a little too deep here to complain about something.
I agree.

 
patj825 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #76
Shadaloo
Ownz
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: put those panties back on the line and get the hell out of my yard
Posts: 627
Default

He probably doesn't need them for the shit he's sung millions of times but I could see it for stuff he hasn't broken out in years like Friends as Lovers.

Toronto show wasn't totally empty, maybe the back few rows.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #77
matcada
Pledge
 
matcada's Avatar
 
Posts: 80
Default

setlists from the last couple of shows anyone?

 
matcada is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #79
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
green day and the foo fighters play static setlists for tours, the majority of which consist of hits they've been playing for decades. billy has new songs and entirely different old songs in his setlists every single tour. you think the motherfucker remembers every verse of annie-dog?
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask that an artist who is charging 75$ per ticket prepare and learn the songs he's going to be performing beforehand? It's not as though Corgan is throwing in a few requests and then having to turn to the prompter for a few parts.

And ask yourself this, how much heart and soul can you put into a performance when you're literally reading along as you're singing? It's super weak and displays a lack of pride in his craft. A stageshow is an important part of being a musician and watching a guy up on stage who can't even remember the words? It's bunk to the highest degree.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #80
redbreegull
Immortal
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 25,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask that an artist who is charging 75$ per ticket prepare and learn the songs he's going to be performing beforehand? It's not as though Corgan is throwing in a few requests and then having to turn to the prompter for a few parts.

And ask yourself this, how much heart and soul can you put into a performance when you're literally reading along as you're singing? It's super weak and displays a lack of pride in his craft. A stageshow is an important part of being a musician and watching a guy up on stage who can't even remember the words? It's bunk to the highest degree.
jesus, you are a more disingenuous faker than corgan is

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #81
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Billy Corgan reminds me of this kid that I performed with once in a high-school battle of the bands. We prepared and performed a handful of cover songs. But the dumbass that we had singing couldn't remember the lyrics, so he was literally standing up on stage holding a print-off of the lyrics in his hand, reading along to them as he sang. Even so, I think we were one of the better bands, but one of the judges told me later that we didn't place because it looked bad with the guy reading the lyrics off of a sheet of paper like that.

It was a common sense rationale for most people...

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #82
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
jesus, you are a more disingenuous faker than corgan is
Hey man, just because you support Billy's lazy, bloated rock star cliches doesn't mean that I have to.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #83
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 27,945
Default

it is lame but it's not that big a deal. pretty sure you being that bothered by it is sillier than corgan doing it

 
reprise85 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #84
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

I'm not bothered. There's no way in hell I'd pay that kind of money to see Billy sitting up there alone acting all pretentious displaying his primary level piano playing. Having the lyrics clearly displayed right in front of him is simply another example of Corgan displaying more bloated rock star cliches.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #85
pavementtune
now what?
 
pavementtune's Avatar
 
Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
Posts: 7,008
Default

you realize he did this for years, right? pre-gig shows and during main shows. the only difference is he is now using an ipad instead of having the sheet music with lyrics in front of him and he's doing it for the entire show instead of parts of it.

 
pavementtune is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #86
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,179
Default

Naw, in this case I think Billy should learn the words. It's not like he's performing for 3 hours.

It comes off as lazy and unrehearsed. If you're paying for a ticket to an 'intimate' performance -you don't want to see the performer reading off a fucking ipad. It's not exactly characteristic of an authentic, hearfelt experience.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #87
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Grox's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,599
Default

yea dude you're wacked

 
Grox is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #88
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Yeah, I remember seeing a video from 2000 I think on Youtube where he was reading a teleprompter for Zero. It's always rubbed me the wrong way. But it seems to be a "rock-star" thing. I just don't get it.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #89
fuzzyroes
Socialphobic
 
fuzzyroes's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Naw, in this case I think Billy should learn the words. It's not like he's performing for 3 hours.

It comes off as lazy and unrehearsed. If you're paying for a ticket to an 'intimate' performance -you don't want to see the performer reading off a fucking ipad. It's not exactly characteristic of an authentic, hearfelt experience.
This exactly. You wanna feel like the guys pouring his heart out. Seeing the Apple I-pad so prominently displayed kills that romanticism.

I mean, so what if he forgets a few lyrics? It's supposed to be a spontaneous performance. If you forget a few lyrics, free style, change them, sing what you feel. Let the song evolve.

These bloated rock star antics are part of the reason why people always shit on the guy.

 
fuzzyroes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #90
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,179
Default

Yeah, I'd rather him forget a few lyrics. That recent show where he forgot to change his harmonica was a great little moment, and the crowd loved it.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nazi Trump Fuck Off scottytheoneand General Chat Message Board 413 02-19-2017 12:32 AM
9/11/01..........9/11/11 The Omega Concern General Chat Archive 70 09-30-2011 07:28 PM
COUNTERCULTURE MAINSTREAM Jesus Cambodia Pumpkins Archive 5 01-17-2009 09:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2014