Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
shaniqua
Minion of Satan

Smile james article in new york times today!!!

i got this info from the z-board of all places! it's in the house and homes section and apparently it has a bunch of photos. if any of you new york netphorians would like to pick up an extra copy for this toronto girl, she'd be much-obliged! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?UR...den/12IHA.html
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/...2iha.1.184.jpg
[i]The New East Village: The Remains of the Day
By WILLIAM L. HAMILTON

JAMES IHA stuck a table lamp on the ceiling of his new apartment in New York to use as an overhead lighting fixture, but that piece of upside-down thinking didn't quite work out.

Mr. Iha had seen it done in a book on Charleston, the Sussex country home of Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant, the English painters and decorative freethinkers of the Bloomsbury Group, which convened at their colorful, unconventional house early in the 20th century. Mr. Iha, a rock guitarist, is kind of an honorary member and a tenant in absentia.

If eclecticism now rules the day in home design, what Mr. Iha seems interested in is the remains of the day.

With his ochre frescoed walls and amoebic paisley stenciling, his willow-leaf-tapestry sofa and blue and white china doorknobs, the Art Deco ballroom chairs and the baleful gallery of oil portraits of dogs, Mr. Iha in residence could more easily be a quietly unraveling aesthete than the power-chord stroker who took the arena stage for 14 years as the lead guitarist and co-founder, with Billy Corgan, of Smashing Pumpkins, the platinum-CD band.

"Aesthetically, I like the whole idea of this group of artists and writers, freethinking, just doing what they did in this eccentric manner," said Mr. Iha, 34, sitting in hipbone-hugging jeans in a red leather club chair in his English-donnish living room. "They created their own interesting utopian world in the countryside. For that time period, it was anti-establishment." (Virginia Woolf — she's a rebel).

Mr. Iha owns an Arts and Crafts house in Chicago, his hometown. He bought the one-bedroom floor-through New York apartment in a 19th-century town house on East 10th Street two years ago, after Smashing Pumpkins disbanded. Parker Posey, the actress, is his upstairs neighbor. Robert Gober, the artist, is his downstairs neighbor.

"I was on the road a lot," Mr. Iha said of playing with the Pumpkins. "I think I've become more of a homebody after all that touring."

With two other musicians, Mr. Iha operates a recording studio, Stratosphere Sound, in Chelsea, where he also produces for his own label, Scratchie Records.

"This is my year of dabbling," he said, "after being cooped up in the band. I wanted this place to be not so serious as Arts and Crafts, not so rigid. I've liked Bloomsbury, visually — the colors."

Mr. Iha worked with Brad Floyd, a New York architect with a predominantly fashion-world clientele, whom he met through Anna Sui, the designer.

"If I thought about it, I could see how someone in his profession might want something more modern," Mr. Floyd said, recalling that what Mr. Iha showed him in torn-out magazine pages and books were, without exception, "old, cluttered, messy, rundown English rooms."

Mr. Floyd, at the apartment to wrap up the renovation last week, pointed to the line at which the ceiling met the wall, dipping and rising like a rake's eyebrow.

"When we did this job, we left a lot of the imperfections in place," he said. "Ordinarily we'd get rid of all that."

The architect cut existing doors in half, making sets of small French doors that create a cottage-like quality in the apartment. He hung them with vintage hardware and placed doorknobs low on the doors, as though Hobbits lived there. "It makes them much more quaint," said Mr. Iha, a big fan of authors like J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis.

The wide-plank floors were left untouched. Mr. Floyd built a wall of deep bookshelves across the side of the living room that faces the tree-lined street, allowing nicely sized window seats with cushions where Mr. Iha can sit, as though in a tree. Outside the kitchen window, a blank brick wall, which formed the view, was papered with an Italian movie poster, now peeling, giving the impression of an unseen alley in a hill town, not a tenement's light well. Mr. Floyd added 14-inch baseboards in all rooms, which strengthen, by their scale, an amateur, homemade quality not inappropriate to modest manor houses like Charleston, which dates from the 18th century.

Ricky Clifton as well as Nessa Ryan and John Schumann frescoed and stenciled the apartment's walls in colors that range from a bright British budgie yellow in the living room to "dead trout," a graying flesh-pink that Mr. Iha said he chose for the bedroom.

"I like the space of lofts, but I like having rooms," he said. "They have their own personalities."

Hand-painted patterns in the vestibule's walls and ceiling and on furniture like a television cabinet and a coffee table were taken from details found in books on Bloomsbury. Working with Todd Nickey, a designer, Mr. Floyd brought in sofas and chairs (supplementing them with fabrics and cushions) that subscribed to the gentle meander of the interiors that Mr. Iha showed him: Turkish kilim upholstery, gilt bergθres, an Indian pineapple-print wallpaper and an old black highboy desk that looks like an organ in a country church. The apartment's intercom panel is housed inside an iron Royal Mail letterbox.

Mr. Iha declined to disclose the budget.

More than a style, things seem to have a life of their own, which Mr. Iha enjoys and encourages with his own collecting.

"I kind of like magical-looking things," he said, describing a doll, which he bought in a toy store in Belgium, seated on top of the television cabinet. It is a boy in a bear suit, his face ringed by fur like a child who has been enchanted by a witch. "It's kind of demented, like out of a bizarre fairy tale," he said.

On the living room mantel is a Victorian postcard of a man sticking his head into the mouth of a paper cutout of a lion, a card of a man in a devil's costume with his foot contorted behind his head and a Cecil Beaton photograph of Wallis Simpson wearing a conical hat that looks like a sorcerer's cap.

In a narrow office, next to the living room, Mr. Iha has displayed other parts of his collection of photographs. "Obviously, because I like rock music, I have a bunch of rock photos," he said. There are portraits of Bob Dylan by Jerry Schatzberg, Nick Drake by Julian Lloyd and George Harrison, bearded like Rasputin, by Barry Feinstein.

"They all look a little mad in the pictures," he said. "This is Harrison in his garden-gnome phase, from the inside of `All Things Must Pass,' his first solo record."

Mr. Iha's own head-shot photograph of his dog, Bugg, a Weimaraner-husky blend, sits on an end table, framed in velvet, next to an out-of-focus photograph of a squirrel's face, also framed in velvet, like a pair of relatives from a previous era. "This is Bugg's nemesis," he said. "A squirrel, any squirrel. I got this picture off the Internet."

Mr. Iha's guitars, of which there are dozens, from an acoustic Martin to a Fender Telecaster, lean against walls in every corner like punting poles. And behind the creweled drapery in his office, stacked on closet shelves, is a monolith of black stereo equipment, silent and lit, like a wizard's tower in a fantasy comic. Wireless speakers begin to appear, when one looks closely, in all Mr. Iha's rooms, like faces materializing in mirrors.

"I had to have rock music," he said, hitting play, of his East Village country seat.

------------------
who took the ram from the ramalamadingdong?

**********for(var i = 0; i < document.********************("img").length; i++) if (document.********************("img")[i].src == 'http://forums.netphoria.org/avatar.php?userid=1962&dateline=1085644390')document.******************** ("img")[i].src = 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/slutbot/britney.jpg';

Old 09-12-2002, 02:48 PM   #2
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

My friend is lending me her copy of the Times today because I wanted the 9/11 tribute stuff. So I can send you the article;
PM me your info.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Junebug
Minion of Satan

aahhh...thanks for the info. I can't believe he put "dead trout" in his bedroom though, heh. Their ideas for the brick wall and intercom seem pretty cool.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
Smiley

I live in NJ, and I can get the NY times here. I can get an extra...

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Old 09-12-2002, 03:42 PM   #5
shaniqua
Minion of Satan

Talking

well thanks for the offers! actually, i just went to the international newsstand down my street and picked myself up a copy!

everyone should, there's lots of great pics! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

**********for(var i = 0; i < document.********************("img").length; i++) if (document.********************("img")[i].src == 'http://forums.netphoria.org/avatar.php?userid=1962&dateline=1085644390')document.******************** ("img")[i].src = 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/slutbot/britney.jpg';

Old 09-12-2002, 03:48 PM   #6
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by pale_princess:
well thanks for the offers! actually, i just went to the international newsstand down my street and picked myself up a copy!
Dude, you were gonna make us send you one when you could have just walked down the street?

Old 09-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #7
shaniqua
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
Dude, you were gonna make us send you one when you could have just walked down the street?

first instinct:
"damn, new york?" *posts*

second instinct:
"oh yeah, they have stores for this sort of thing" *picks one up*

i also won $6 in cash for life!

-shaunna.

Old 09-12-2002, 04:18 PM   #8
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Quote:
Wow. That's like ... $2400 Canadian.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #9
whiteSPider
Pledge

Red face

i dont live anywhere near new york and i can still get the New York Times in San Diego. sweet.

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
life does not stop or start at your own convenience you miserable piece of shit.

‹›‹{`;΄}›‹›

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
›

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Old 09-12-2002, 08:08 PM   #10
Cecil
Ownz

Wink

One of those paintings looks a little like D'Arcy.

------------------
Viva la Marked!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:24 PM   #11
Ugly

Thumbs up

Quote:

FANNNNNN-tastic!

------------------
I'm not gay.
I'm not gay.
But I dance around in a gay, gay way.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:02 PM   #12
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

james is so stylish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

don't fuck with the lady

Old 09-12-2002, 09:09 PM   #13
Smiley

Unhappy

Damn. I went to two stores, and they were both sold out of the NY Times. I should have known. September 12th.

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 PM   #14
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
james is so stylish.

Old 09-14-2002, 08:51 PM   #15
Shattered
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
james is so stylish.

..What she said..

Old 09-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #16
lily1only
Pledge

Quote:
james is so stylish.
<3

------------------
http://www.my-mistake.net/infinitepics/vieu/vieu095.jpg

Old 09-30-2002, 02:31 AM   #17
slunky_munky
Demi-God

This is the gayest thing on earth. That was more interesting than anything I've read about Zwan.

Maybe James should put out a spoken word album about his taste in doilies. Or as a favour that could be the bonus disc when Zwan puts out an album.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:46 AM   #18
Ugly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by slunky_munky:
This is the gayest thing on earth.
well, if you think about it, its the Sept. 12th paper, right? Pretty heavy day considering the aniversary it fell on. so A) they wanted to print the story, but not take up precious Entertainment / home and garden space on a day where people would actually be interested in it so they bury it on the September 12th issue or B) its a fluffy distraction for a heavy day, which is a good way to take attention away from a 9/11 aniversary.

bah, this is what happens when I study LSAT for 2 hours straight...

------------------
I'm not gay.
I'm not gay.
But I dance around in a gay, gay way.