Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #241
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

I downloaded and played a bit of Assassin's Creed II, the only Assassin's Creed game I've played so far.

When the fuck does it actually get good? Everything so far has been boring fetch quests. It feels like one of those interchangeable free-roam games. Have an open world, a bunch of people you can talk to who will tell you to run errands, and some goons to fight in between. Doesn't help that the controls are dogshit. Are the later entries any better? Do I just have to play further into II before it gets good?
yeah this series is not as good as we thought it was upon originally playing it in retrospect

the free roaming was really novel for the time

it does have that Arkham combat that you like pretty much though

just wait for each guy to run at you one at a time and hit one button for an insta kill

Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #242
Elphenor
Braindead

I too love Spyro the Dragon

Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #243
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I said I wouldn't do this to myself, but I am now 75 hours into my second play-through of Skyrim. I'm a Breton who started as a stealthy pickpocket, having been a pilgrim to Skyrim in order to join the Thieves Guild. Soon my innate inclination towards the supernatural arts became apparent, and after restoring the Guild and pledging my immortal soul to Nocturnal, I traveled to the Mage's College to hone the crafts of my true calling. I am currently rushing back to the College from Labrynthian with the Staff of Magnus in order to halt the Thalmor plot unspooling there.

I'm not even sure what I will do next. I may sit out Dark Brotherhood or simply destroy them, because I don't feel they really jive with my character this time around. I have been trying to change most of my choices from my first game, but I still don't think I can fight for the Stormcloaks. Right now I am thinking the best course of action for the greatest good would be to put down the uprising and reunite Skyrim under the Empire (which it has ALWAYS been a part of), and then systematically drive the Thalmor out of Skyrim. I've already been waging a low-level guerilla campaign against them, ambushing their parties in the wild when I happen across them.
I always forget how important it is to roleplay in bethesda open worlds. I think it’s from my first exposure to “rpg” being the jrpgs on Super Nintendo. Which aren’t actually role playing games, at all, but games in which you help a predetermined character get them sweet sweet xp points, plus save the stupid world, when you have time, thanks

My first Bethesda open world was oblivion and I just picked a character for the abilities and then tried to get strong and have $$$s and cool swords and shit. Which quickly becomes both boring and overwhelming, b/c the world isn’t built for just doing everything it throws at you. It’s built for hard pretending, and works best if you keep a fleshed out character in mind

Old 05-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #244
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
we recently acquired gran turismo but i can only play a few rounds at a time. the races can be up to 5 laps long and it can get monotonous real quick-like.

meanwhile i can play 30 minute rounds of katamari no problem. i just busted that out again last night.

i wish tim liked to play dancing with the stars.
finally snagged katamari man that game is friekin strange huh

Old 05-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #245
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
yeah this series is not as good as we thought it was upon originally playing it in retrospect

the free roaming was really novel for the time

it does have that Arkham combat that you like pretty much though

just wait for each guy to run at you one at a time and hit one button for an insta kill
Haven't we had freeroaming since, like, GTA III? I don't think open worlds were a novel thing in 2008. Hell, Spider-Man 2 came out before this game.

I also don't see how the combat is at all similar to Arkham.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #246
Elphenor
Braindead

well the parkour shit was pretty new I think

it's similar in that it's basically one step up from a quick-time event

Old 05-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #247
Elphenor
Braindead

there's a Super Smash Bros. set up in my work cafeteria and I am the best in the building everybody shows up to get their daily whoopings

Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #248
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
well the parkour shit was pretty new I think

it's similar in that it's basically one step up from a quick-time event
Yeah, I'd say the parkour was pretty innovative, though I'm no expert on the history of games. The control scheme it uses is confusing and doesn't respond all that well, but the basics are good.

But I feel like at the point that you're just scaling walls, you're pretty much just Spider-Man.

Sunset Overdrive gave us a parkour that made sense in the context of the world they gave us. Out can't just, like, scale straight up a wall.

I don't think requiring timing makes something like a QTE. It's not like it's some scripted sequence that requires you to tap an arbitrary button in time. It's normal combat, just where reaction time and situational awareness are important. The game is easy to pick up, but requires skill to master. Anybody can pick up the controller and beat up goons, but if you're just button mashing, you're not going to get any kind of impressive combo. You'll probably get through most story missions, but you'll eat shit in the challenge maps.

From my increased experience with games, I am sending that through Batman games are very casual-friendly. With the exception of some of the later levels and some maps, the game isn't very punishing. Compare that to some of the other games I've picked up lately, like Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, and Witcher, and those ones require some hours put in before you stop dying on introductory levels. I'm finally getting over the learning curve in Metal Gear, going from unable to complete even the first mission, to capturing outposts and finishing side missions like a badass. Getting new weapons helps. I'm really fond of sniping. But I'm still not good enough to completely ghost levels like the game was meant to be played in its purest form. I always end up getting in firefights, even though I would prefer to do a perfect stealth mission.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #249
Elphenor
Braindead

don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the first game in that Batman series

I thought the sections where you had to take out baddies with guns that could one shot you were adequately tense and required you to go about things in a clever Batman way

what was kinda disappointing is sequels came out that were more of the same thing but less fun, I never got the full Batman experience I wanted though I felt like the foundation was set

City half committed to an open world thing, but didn't commit hard to a real breathing Gotham with civilians and stuff

Last edited by Elphenor : 05-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #250
Shallowed
Braindead

I managed to complete Half-Life 1, 2 and the episodes. I can now appreciate the Half-Life 3 meme.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #251
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

ok so, i'm pretty sure i'm buying that super-coo mini SNES thing in the next few days.

i'm kinda stupidly stoked. will post pics.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #252
run2pee
Minion of Satan

YES!!!! DO IT

What will u play first

Old 06-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #253
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

omg i dunno

might be Contra 3

although Super Mario World may just be my most titanic fav video game of all time

Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #254
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Contra 3s good but is going to make you feel bad about yourself if you haven’t played in awhile, it’s friekin punishing right?

I’d say yeah, ease into it with smw which I agree is probably still the best mario there’s ever been

You an rpg nut? Ever play ffiii? That’s one of if not my fave rpg of the whole world, man.....oh god the music, the colors, the kefka

Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #255
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the first game in that Batman series

I thought the sections where you had to take out baddies with guns that could one shot you were adequately tense and required you to go about things in a clever Batman way

what was kinda disappointing is sequels came out that were more of the same thing but less fun, I never got the full Batman experience I wanted though I felt like the foundation was set

City half committed to an open world thing, but didn't commit hard to a real breathing Gotham with civilians and stuff
The first game is still probably my favourite because of the tight level design and atmosphere, but I enjoyed City a lot, as well. Felt that giving us a bigger world allowed it to offer a different experience from the more Metroidvania-style first game. It was still, relatively speaking, a pretty small open-world map, as it prioritized density over having large stretches of space with nothing to experience. I forgave the lack of civilian NPCs, because it was an open-air prison.

It was Origins where it felt like they were just doing "same shit, different game." And this time, the lack of civilian NPCs wasn't as justified, and had the really flimsy reason of their being a city-wide curfew. What the fuck kind of major metropolitan city has curfews? And I guess also "it's Christmas" and "there's a blizzard, so nobody's outside," but that just feels really lazy. Still, I mostly enjoyed the game, because I liked City enough that I was glad to play another however-many hours of it via a City clone, but it really shows that this was some game rushed out by another studio to fill the gap between Rocksteady games.

Then the final Rocksteady game came out, and they had an even bigger world with an even shittier reason for why nobody is in it. The Batmobile took over everything. For the first few hours, I was actually regretting purchasing this game, and it doesn't actually pick up and feel fun until the level on the dirigibles, which is mostly fun because it recalls the tight level design and puzzle-like challenges of the earlier entries. After that, there's some fun levels, so I was like "okay, I'm enjoying this," but overall, still a letdown. And the story is the stupidest of the series, probably a consequence of not bringing back Paul Dini, an actual, you know, writer, and just having the development staff cobble a story together.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #256
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Been playing a bit more Phantom Pain, and I'm starting to wonder why I liked it so much.

It's one of those games were there's no reason for the open world other than extending the time it takes you to get between objective markers. It's literally kilometers and kilometers of empty desert space, and then some outpost with soviet soldiers.

The gameplay isn't very varied. You kinda need more than one pillar to keep the gameplay exciting. All there is to do in this game is sneak into enemy bases. And there's really no way to get perfect stealth other than trial-and-error and playing the same level until you just memorize how the NPCs react on that particular level. That's not as interesting as allowing the player to actually strategize.

Having to collect all that currency just ends up feeling like busywork and grinding.

I should probably try the earlier Metal Gear games that were more linear, but the only one available on my system seems to be that hack-'n'-slash one that isn't even a stealth game.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #257
Elphenor
Braindead

I've been playing KOTOR 2 Restored Version

the first KOTOR game was an excellent Bioware RPG and I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, experience where you play the first quarter the game shooting blasters making the moment when you learn you're a powerful Jedi and wield a saber pretty awesome

the sequel was rushed and missing content so I didn't play it, but mods are a wonderful thing and over the years the game has been fully realized as what it was meant to be

Last edited by Elphenor : 06-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #258
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

XCOM 2 is the free game on the PSN this month and it's everything people said it was. I'm hooked bad.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #259
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I snagged that xcom unknown enemie for ps3 but haven’t circled back to it yet

The tactical turn base stuff is a genre i just never played, until steamworld heist recently, which I’ve really enjoyed, despite feeling I still don’t quite “get” what im supposed to be doing, other than moving/covering and shooting sometimes

Sonic the Johnhog, would u please describe your xcom gameplays and thrilling exepreiences here in this thread to enrich us with tales of tactics and turn-baseds?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #260
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I've been playing Bloodstained: The Curse of the Moon.
This game rocks, if you like the Castlevania games it's a must buy.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #261
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Sonic the Johnhog, would u please describe your xcom gameplays and thrilling exepreiences here in this thread to enrich us with tales of tactics and turn-baseds?
I also never have much been one for the genre but the thing i noticed about XCOM was that it was immediately really playable. Gameplay is fairly spartan, no needless over-complication, things like cover and movement systems are dead straightforward which keeps you engaged with what's unfolding in the action rather than doing numbers or poring over item select screens or whatever.

The real hook for me though is how it lets you get invested in the story yourself. I've always found video game storytelling largely clumsy and XCOM gets around this by mostly ditching traditional storytelling and just letting you get invested in the characters of your squad. You kit them out, teach them skills, level them up etc, remember some heroic shit they did one time, and then one day you roll out on a routine side mission and you don't see an alien off to one side of the screen and your character gets merked in one hit and that's it and they're gone forever, no ceremony, the game continues like a regular enemy grunt had died, and you're left with a way more gratifying emotional payoff than any in-game-asset cutscene can lay on you. Lots of games talk about "building your own story" but it often rings hollow; not so here.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #262
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I also never have much been one for the genre but the thing i noticed about XCOM was that it was immediately really playable. Gameplay is fairly spartan, no needless over-complication, things like cover and movement systems are dead straightforward which keeps you engaged with what's unfolding in the action rather than doing numbers or poring over item select screens or whatever.

The real hook for me though is how it lets you get invested in the story yourself. I've always found video game storytelling largely clumsy and XCOM gets around this by mostly ditching traditional storytelling and just letting you get invested in the characters of your squad. You kit them out, teach them skills, level them up etc, remember some heroic shit they did one time, and then one day you roll out on a routine side mission and you don't see an alien off to one side of the screen and your character gets merked in one hit and that's it and they're gone forever, no ceremony, the game continues like a regular enemy grunt had died, and you're left with a way more gratifying emotional payoff than any in-game-asset cutscene can lay on you. Lots of games talk about "building your own story" but it often rings hollow; not so here.
Thank you, sounds kickass. I’ll have to put the unknown enema in my ps3 soon. Right now the ps3’s just sitting. Was bumping some farcry 3 on there from time to time, a little dragons crown. Now it’s all switch. When you can play AAA on your belly in bed with detached ‘cons, it’s just hard to ever make yourself go sit on a couch somewhere

Been playing Layers of Fear most recently. This game is excellent. Basically a highly immersive haunted house simulator. On headphones and in the dark, game provides psychelic dread, oppressive atmosphere, punctuated by jolts of pure terror. I would highly recommend to anyone who likes ghosts/adventures

Old 06-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #263
Elphenor
Braindead

I've got 60 hrs on KOTOR 2 now and while I still have 2 planets left to explore before the final showdown with Sith masters, my Jedi is an absolute god thanks to me scouring the galaxy for every bit of loot available

my force push is upgraded into a 360 tidal wave of dimensional rippling that eviscerates armies of mercenaries

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #264
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Doom Eternal announced at E3

Fuck yes

Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #265
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I quite enjoyed how faithfully the Doom reboot captured the spirit and mechanics of the original series but I got bored of it pretty quick. ID will need to innovate to get me to get in on this one.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #266
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Thumbs down

i would have loved to play it but unfortunately i don't own a 3000$ gaming rig

Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #267
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

can't wait to get my overpriced outdated 90's hardware in the name of sweet nostalgia

Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #268
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i would have loved to play it but unfortunately i don't own a 3000$ gaming rig
yknow current gen consoles are like one tenth that price

Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #269
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i find all current gen consoles pretty soulless and unattractive, tbh.

but even regardless of being a picky old man, i just have a hard time justifying throwing down 300$ on being able to play video games here and there.

it kinda sucks that playing games is pretty much impossible anymore unless you're heavily invested in it in the first place.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #270
Disco King
Minion of Satan

They say that the next generation of gaming consoles is due out around 2020 or so. New features will include emergent consciousness, support for customizable souls, and game streaming.

If I hadn't won an Xbox at a staff party, I wouldn't play games. I also can't justify $300-$400 just to play vidya.

I don't even buy games brand new. $70 for a video game? Jesus, who has that money? I wait until they are, like, $20 in th discount bin or something.