Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #301
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Despite pointing out the flaws in MGSV a few posts ago, I am still hooked on it.

It doesn't matter if the gameplay is repetitive and the map is gratuitously bloated with empty space if it's fun, does it? At the end of the day, the game's only job is to be fun.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #302
Disco King
Minion of Satan

God is empty just like me

Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #303
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i don't mean to be the drooling kid but the snes is awesome and totally worth the price of admission. i think i'm gonna flash it in the next few days and put some extra games on it, Turtles in Time and Mario All Stars are the most immediate dudes to get on there but i'm also finding so many more that seem worth looking into. AND i just discovered you can also put NES games on it as well so i'll be doing that as well
My top list of snes games not on the snes classic that you must play one day includes:

Illusion of Gaia
Ogre Battle
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Earthworm Jim (both 1 & 2)
Final Fantasy II
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Secret of Evermore

I’ll add some more on sunday

Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #304
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i already have 15 hours on darkest dungeon...

Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #305
Shallowed
Braindead

Black Mesa good

Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #306
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
My biggest struggle right now is keeping enough money to do stress relief and send em to the sanitarium to cure bad habits etc

Apparently there’s a puppet show that’s like cheap stress relief but I need more wealth to build it

I feel there’s depth here im not yet appreciating, a lot of different ways to build a strong roster but yeah i am doing it the hardest/longest way by just running low level dungeons to level whoever will survive
dude, Jester is so OP. can heal stress every turn... 8 doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up. i'm doing runs and leaving with under 20 stress with every character. just did a medium boss run without even camping

my best part so far has been:

Man-at-arms. do his attack that activates riposte (counter attack) right away. can also do some good buffing
Highwayman. Been using good ole Desmas, the first guy you get. Start him in second position, he has a good attack that also activates riposte and puts him in first position. When in first position, he has a really good attack that he can only do in first position against the first position. go back and forth with the man-at-arms. two people with counter attack is fucking amazing
jester. for stress relief and bleed. he can make two people bleed at once. very good for those little stupid snails or whatever they are.
vestal. healing plus has a stun. all you need.

so far i have desmas at level 4 and a jester at 3. im only taking people off the stagecoach that are already level 1. if i have no money i'll send out a shit party with minimal supplies and an antiquarian. the seem to give you way more loot if they do the scouting. also never dig up the grave, appears to always blight you... havent seen too many patterns besides that. don't torch the books lol, 100% stress

Old 06-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #307
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
i don't mean to be the drooling kid but the snes is awesome and totally worth the price of admission. i think i'm gonna flash it in the next few days and put some extra games on it, Turtles in Time and Mario All Stars are the most immediate dudes to get on there but i'm also finding so many more that seem worth looking into. AND i just discovered you can also put NES games on it as well so i'll be doing that as well
awesome

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #308
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
dude, Jester is so OP. can heal stress every turn... 8 doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up. i'm doing runs and leaving with under 20 stress with every character. just did a medium boss run without even camping

my best part so far has been:

Man-at-arms. do his attack that activates riposte (counter attack) right away. can also do some good buffing
Highwayman. Been using good ole Desmas, the first guy you get. Start him in second position, he has a good attack that also activates riposte and puts him in first position. When in first position, he has a really good attack that he can only do in first position against the first position. go back and forth with the man-at-arms. two people with counter attack is fucking amazing
jester. for stress relief and bleed. he can make two people bleed at once. very good for those little stupid snails or whatever they are.
vestal. healing plus has a stun. all you need.

so far i have desmas at level 4 and a jester at 3. im only taking people off the stagecoach that are already level 1. if i have no money i'll send out a shit party with minimal supplies and an antiquarian. the seem to give you way more loot if they do the scouting. also never dig up the grave, appears to always blight you... havent seen too many patterns besides that. don't torch the books lol, 100% stress
Kickass i didn’t know the highwayman had a riposte, maybe i need to unlock it at the guild

I tried a jester on your advice last night and did pretty well in a low level ruin, but made the mistake of sticking one of the crossbow ladies in there and she wanted the same position in the party as the jester, so that sucked; she could only do like 1 combat skill from 2nd to front

Right now healing and stunning are my two must haves, so my back two are always filled with plague dr and vestal, then of course someone’s gotta consistently hack n whack those baddies...

This is the 1st game in a long time got me wanna get out some paper and do some homework planning the perfect party

Old 06-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #309
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Despite pointing out the flaws in MGSV a few posts ago, I am still hooked on it.

It doesn't matter if the gameplay is repetitive and the map is gratuitously bloated with empty space if it's fun, does it? At the end of the day, the game's only job is to be fun.
I feel like it was actually not a bad decision given the circumstances to make a game that stripped a lot of the storytelling out and gave players a big, pretty sandbox and a well-refined iteration of the core gameplay mechanics. I'm not a *giant* MGS fan like some people but I found V to be one of those games I can leave for months and then pick up and play for an hour or two when I feel like it, which you wouldn't say for the other entries in the series.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #310
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

XCOM 2 is absolutely ruining my life right now. I started over my first two campaigns within the three hour mark as I was learning and taking heavy losses, got out to about six hours on the third campaign and realised that something i'd failed to address in the non-combat strategic part of the game was going to cost me so bad i'd ruined my shot, now approaching maybe twelve hours on my fourth run at it. Told that a full successful playthrough of the campaign can take 20+ hours. It's really, really bloody hard is I guess what i'm saying.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #311
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Kickass i didn’t know the highwayman had a riposte, maybe i need to unlock it at the guild

I tried a jester on your advice last night and did pretty well in a low level ruin, but made the mistake of sticking one of the crossbow ladies in there and she wanted the same position in the party as the jester, so that sucked; she could only do like 1 combat skill from 2nd to front

Right now healing and stunning are my two must haves, so my back two are always filled with plague dr and vestal, then of course someone’s gotta consistently hack n whack those baddies...

This is the 1st game in a long time got me wanna get out some paper and do some homework planning the perfect party
got desmos to level 6 so he's on ice right now.

replaced him with a leper. i got a great trinket for him that's +3 speed, 11% crit so he's doing crits all over... almost 20% with chop. and he does so much fucking damage

basically been alternating level 3 (about to do first level 5) runs with low level runs with antiquarian, low level jester and either low level vestal or occultist (for healing) and one damage person like houndmaster etc... just to get loot/money. i rarely worry about stress healing in town now, but of course diseases i still have to cure. also jester's battle tune or whatever it's called is stupidly great, +3 spd, +8 acc, +5% crit (at upgrade 4, still really high at any level) all party members... seriously my leper crits constantly. i want to start locking in positive quirks but that shit's expensive, 16k each right now

Old 07-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #312
Shallowed
Braindead

Half Life: Opposing Force good

Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #313
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

@Run To Me

I took my first foray into the actual Darkest Dungeon within Darkest Dungeon. My all 6-level group wiped. Womp Womp. Figured there was a good likelyhood of that. Got to the boss of the mission but couldn't beat it.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 AM   #314
run2pee
Minion of Satan

It sounds like your triumphant pride precipitated a dizzying fall, tsk

Man i suck fux at this game compared to you: 10 hours in and i don’t have any level sixers, im broke, i haven’t killed the necromancer or done anything but level 1 ruins trying to get $ to cure my vestal from trying to pants everyone when they’re not errect (dark fascination etc)

What am i doing wrong??

You know i always suspected that deep down i suck at the vidya. i mean i love me some vg but when they get hard i just crumble, like it’s deep within me to suck fux

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 AM   #315
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Part of my problem is you can’t play this like “ignore all stats math and skills instead grind for days until you are op then mash a button to win” which is how i used to beat all rpgs back in the snes days

Like for example I have a party in ffiii killed sooooo many trex and brachiosaurs in that world of ruin forest that i could 1 hit kill silly kefka. Wish i could import sabin to bodyslam these dix in this dungeon game.

And yet i can’t stop playing it

Old 07-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #316
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yes you can't ignore that stuff.

i've realized that my party i explained before is great for level 1 and some short level 3 runs but that crowd control and blight/bleed (because with high protect % you can't just beat them down) becomes much more important in high level and that's why i wipe.. and keep wiping. i found a secret boss and i fucking killed him but the things he summoned killed my party. shit.

also i've realized people are expendable until level 4/5/6. don't waste too much money on them. especially because my stagecoach can recruit level 3s now...

also i realized the jester is great again for low level... but higher, you need to be able to take out the stress inducers and use camping if stress gets out of control.. so you need people who can hit (preferably stun) the back row and/or shuffle their party and also bypass stealth/guard. i still try to take someone who can stress heal (jester or crusader) but I was just spamming it before. crusader stress heals for less but also regular heals at the same time

but i've played 30 something hours lol don't feel bad. also fyi, plague doctor can cure diseases (his own and another's) while camping. so you can take him along and not waste time/money curing someone

Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #317
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
IT IS DONE.

IMG_20180620_145444

hell. yes.
I really prefer the appearance of the international SNES to the purple piece of crap we got in the States.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #318
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Yeah looks more fun

I have soft spots all over my heart/butt for the purply one but thats puro nostalgia at work for the games it allowed me to play. Which are still probably my fave games just in terms of how often I’ve returned to them thru the ages.

It truly is an ugly old box, tho, objectively speakin

Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #319
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i had an american version as a kid so i have a soft spot for it, but yeah famicom is great too.

this snes kinda made me realize just how much i missed as a kid. i didn't have many games. i'd never played a zelda game before cause i kinda missed that train, never played super metroid, never played megaman series. MAN if i played any of those as a kid, particularly the first two, my head would have probably exploded. even all these years later you can see why those games started multi million dollar franchises. they're just that good and have so much heart and care put into them. pure classic magic.

but anyway, i already hacked mine and it was a total breeze. made sure i can put NES stuff on it too (and theoretically, almost any other contemporary console - genesis, gameboys, etc, but i've no real use for that). slapped some games on it:

* Contra (probably the first childhood classic for me)
* Final Fight 3
* Mortal Kombat 2 + 3
* Turtles In Time
* X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
* Mario All Stars
* Spider Man Maximum Carnage

probably gonna add Earthworm Jim and Sunset Riders soon. anyone got mean recs?

though, tbh, it's too many great games anyway and i don't have the time to dive deep into them anymore. but still nice here and there. i'd be playing zelda for weeks as a kid.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #320
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

rpgs? chrono trigger and earthbound would be my suggestions. chrono trigger is a great fuckin game. earthbound is pretty good but it's novel cuz it's 'reality' based, like your character gets sick and goes to the atm etc

Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #321
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Both them shits on the classic already

But yep teh b0lls if u did not already play the F outta both. Just go with whichever grabs you 1st they are both god-tier all time greats of the vidya entertainment genresphere

Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #322
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

ah my bad

hey so my hamlet is poppin, i got 30 people, all level 3-6, doing level 5 missions of different groups to see what kinda synergy i can manage before i send them to darkest dungeon.

fuckin' plague doctor seems to be the best utility character... insanely high blights, can stun two in the back row or one anywhere. can heal blight/bleed and do a tiny bit of healing. can't do much damage or help with stress (or really regular healing). can also cure diseases during camping.

hellion can hit the back person from the front row, and hit them hard. can kill most of the beasties i've seen in the back row in one or two rounds.

i've adopted the highwayman again. his reposte is just too good. also i had an idea that works great, if you're going on treasure runs. bring the antiquarian and have them do their move where they force another person to guard them. BOOM, anyone attacks the highwayman OR the antiquarian the highwayman counter attacks. so i've been giving him lots of dodge, accuracy, and PROT from trinkets. pretty cool combo.

i think my next foray into darkest dungeon will be highwayman/crusader/abomination/plague doctor. crusader with lots of healing trinkets so his heals are worthwhile. abomination heals himself when he transforms automatically and also has a move. plague doctor stuns whoever can do stress damage and crusader can do stress healing. i have a trinket so abomination does 40% less stress to companions when he transforms. abomination can do his non-transformed moves from third position, but not transformation ones. so if i want him to transform he has a move that moves him to second position. crusader cannot attack, only heal/stress heal from third position but if abomination is transforming you need some dedicated stress healing anyway.

as you see i've been thinking about strategy lol

Last edited by reprise85 : 07-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #323
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

pretty sure Chronotrigger was left out, looks 10/10. will check it out, thanks

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #324
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

chronotrigger is the best rpg ever. #realtalk

Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #325
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Dude they left chrontrig off the classic

Omg u gotta march that sht back to nintendo tell em they done fuckd up Big Time

That’d b like when jeff shriaddero left the smash hit rat in a cage off the legendary Siamese My Drem and then butchered it in the studio for his next timeless offering Meloncolin and the long lasting Teardrops

Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #326
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
ah my bad

hey so my hamlet is poppin, i got 30 people, all level 3-6, doing level 5 missions of different groups to see what kinda synergy i can manage before i send them to darkest dungeon.

fuckin' plague doctor seems to be the best utility character... insanely high blights, can stun two in the back row or one anywhere. can heal blight/bleed and do a tiny bit of healing. can't do much damage or help with stress (or really regular healing). can also cure diseases during camping.

hellion can hit the back person from the front row, and hit them hard. can kill most of the beasties i've seen in the back row in one or two rounds.

i've adopted the highwayman again. his reposte is just too good. also i had an idea that works great, if you're going on treasure runs. bring the antiquarian and have them do their move where they force another person to guard them. BOOM, anyone attacks the highwayman OR the antiquarian the highwayman counter attacks. so i've been giving him lots of dodge, accuracy, and PROT from trinkets. pretty cool combo.

i think my next foray into darkest dungeon will be highwayman/crusader/abomination/plague doctor. crusader with lots of healing trinkets so his heals are worthwhile. abomination heals himself when he transforms automatically and also has a move. plague doctor stuns whoever can do stress damage and crusader can do stress healing. i have a trinket so abomination does 40% less stress to companions when he transforms. abomination can do his non-transformed moves from third position, but not transformation ones. so if i want him to transform he has a move that moves him to second position. crusader cannot attack, only heal/stress heal from third position but if abomination is transforming you need some dedicated stress healing anyway.

as you see i've been thinking about strategy lol
F yeah these are bitchin strategies, plague dr was an early fave of my own, that stun plus clear bodies mmmmm

I haven’t even jacked with a crusader once yet, and every time i try to do the abomination my vestal gets all snotty and won’t go, and then how the F do i heal

Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #327
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Found an NES and SNES classic within the space of the last week. I hope the scaplers out there are starting to sweat a little.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #328
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Kinda going crazy with getting whatever Metal Gear games I can get my hands on, seeing as I'm enjoying The Phantom Pain quite a bit.

I got Ground Zeroes, which is the "prologue" to TPP, but it's more like a glorified game demo. Not that I'm complaining. I've already finished all the missions, and they were fun as hell. Even though it's got a single map, I feel like the level design of that map is better than any of the camps I've encountered in TPP so far.

I was initially avoiding Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (who the fuck comes up with these titles?), because the entire reason I'm checking out the Metal Gear games is that I like stealth games, but this game appears to be more of a hack-'n'-slash. But one DLC mission in Ground Zeroes let you play as Raiden and I liked it, so it piqued my interest in the other game.

Played the first boss fight of the game, and damn, this game is edgy as fuck. Embarassingly edgy. It's, like, the stereotype I had of video games before I started playing them more. Buttrock that sounds like Fuel or Breaking Benjamin plays during "intense" moments. One villain literally says the "nothin' personal, kid" line. So far, it doesn't seem like my kind of game. It seems like a game from a totally different series that they slapped the "Metal Gear" logo on.

I also downloaded Peace Walker and bought Sons of Liberty for my old Xbox. Can't wait to play those ones to get some taste of some more classic Metal Gear.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #329
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anybody else has been eyeing that Octopath Traveler? Friekin gorgeous 2/3d sprite-painted artsyle:

Reviews are good but ive played a bit of the demo and the writing seems friekin cliche/tiresome af

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #330
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Damn that looks real good!