Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #271
run2pee
Minion of Satan

How much money do you fucken dummies spend on booze and drugs in a month? Or even eating out? Just stop it for once, save up enough for a switch and Zelda and/or Mario, and then buy $10 indie masterpieces on the eShop when (a year or two later) you’ve exhausted those

If you really wanted to game, you would game. All these lame excuses about wahhh $$$$ are for losers, man

Old 06-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #272
Elphenor
Braindead

or just play all the major releases 10 years after they come out on your laptop for free or heavily discounted through Steam

next up for me is probably Dragon Age Origins more Bioware RPG

Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #273
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's not even only about the price point, or the prerequisite to be deeply invested in order to participate; the whole scale of things has changed. video games these days seem to be about immersing the player in a lengthy, seamless, heavily cinematic experience, or about delivering a monolithic open world gameplay.

i miss simpler times, where games were designed to have shorter, bite-sized levels that you could pace on your own. the better games offered deep exploration possibilities, but it wasn't like today where firing up a game lends itself to burning through 3-4 hours.

i'm purposely talking in extremes to make my point, and needless to say i've played fantastic games that had longer levels than Doom - but bottom line is, in today's video gaming scene, i can't help but feel like there's not really much room at all for casual gamers like me anymore. and that's a shame, cause i still have a love and appreciation for it.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #274
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Thumbs up

plan is to pull the trigger on that SNES mini this coming week, btw.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #275
run2pee
Minion of Satan

He’ll yeah snag that snes for sure

You ever consider a dedicated handheld? A 3ds is friekin cheap right now and between it and the ds you have one of the finest libraries on any console. And many of the games are designed to be delivered in smaller, less intimidating chunks, exactly as you describe. My 3ds feels a lot like having a snes in my pocket. Another bonus: any time you’re done you just flip the thing closed and suspend it and just pop it open when you’re ready again. So you don’t have to feel like you need to lose hours at a time

For me the switch is the ultimate solution: can plop on the couch when i feel like the big immersive experience you describe, or just rock thru some Isaac or Stardew in friekin bed before nightnight. If the library continues to expand, it will be THE console, for me. Bring on the ports. I want every game ever on this shit if possible

Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #276
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Animal Crossing though, I wish I could suspend my life so I could be in Animal Crossing 24/7

(fuck you tom nook you capitalist swine!!!!!)

Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #277
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's not even only about the price point, or the prerequisite to be deeply invested in order to participate; the whole scale of things has changed. video games these days seem to be about immersing the player in a lengthy, seamless, heavily cinematic experience, or about delivering a monolithic open world gameplay.

i miss simpler times, where games were designed to have shorter, bite-sized levels that you could pace on your own. the better games offered deep exploration possibilities, but it wasn't like today where firing up a game lends itself to burning through 3-4 hours.

i'm purposely talking in extremes to make my point, and needless to say i've played fantastic games that had longer levels than Doom - but bottom line is, in today's video gaming scene, i can't help but feel like there's not really much room at all for casual gamers like me anymore. and that's a shame, cause i still have a love and appreciation for it.
Nintendo still has this in spades

Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #278
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Animal Crossing though, I wish I could suspend my life so I could be in Animal Crossing 24/7

(fuck you tom nook you capitalist swine!!!!!)
How does one get into animal crossing? I gave one of these on the Wii to my sister and she liked it, but i never got a chance to try it yet

Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #279
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The 3DS one, New Leaf is pretty awesome. It's the first one I ever played and was quickly hooked to it.
I'd recommend giving it a spin, it's prob very cheap by now.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #280
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Kickass is it online

Do I get to see other ppls cuddly animal villages?

Does it turn from dark to day to night again? Do you fish? What do you do in it, anyway

Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #281
LaBelle
Socialphobic

You can visit other people, but you have to be friends with them so you can invite them, you don't just meet random people.

The game functions in real time, meaning the time of day changes with time, as do the seasons.
The meat of the game is you buy your own house on a loan from Tom Nook (the most evilest of beings pictured below) and you do a number of activities to pay off your loan to Tom Nook who then offers you incremental upgrades to your house for larger and larger loands.
You can fish, find fossils, catch bugs, collect fruit and there's even a stock market equivalent in game. It's a lot of busy work, but it's fun

evil incarnate:

Old 06-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #282
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Nice

That racooon lookin p naughty for sure, that’s not even how you get clean, either

This weekend I’m gonna try to bump some ps3 for old times sake

Tryna pick whether invest it all in fallout 3, farcry 3, dragons crown, or just do a half hour of each, or go friekin NUTS and just pull last of us out again (still haven’t gotten very far in it, keep starting then getting distracted for a year or two then have to start over b/c forgot controls/story/motivations/feelings

Old 06-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #283
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
ok so, i'm pretty sure i'm buying that super-coo mini SNES thing in the next few days.

i'm kinda stupidly stoked. will post pics.
Quote:
plan is to pull the trigger on that SNES mini this coming week, btw.
IT IS DONE.

IMG_20180620_145444

hell. yes.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #284
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

of note so far in no particular order:

* my controller skills have greatly deteriorated since i was 12.

* i would have rather bought that other SNES, the one with the purple strips on it, cause that's what i had as a kid. but they only sell this one here. i bought it for like 110$ USD, which is overpriced compared to the retail 80$. still a pretty decent deal all in all tho.

* contra 3 is fuckin PUNISHING.

* i'm gonna put Turtles In Time on that shit pretty soon.

* he'll yea

Old 06-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #285
run2pee
Minion of Satan

OMG! KILLER SNAG!!!!

Turtles in time is one of my faves all time. Love throwin them foot soldiers at the screen, whacken them purple-headed fools with my long, hard bo

I like the famicom colors, personally, even tho i also had the purple-striped one in my long, hard youth

Does that shit have illusion of Gaia? That’s my fave snes right now

You gonna hack that shit? I heard you could get it to play roms n sht

Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #286
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yea i plan to. right now there's no Turtles on it and it needs to be changed.

not sure yet what that entails though, and if i lose the spiffy nintendo menu in the process. i'll look into it on sunday!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #287
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

man Metroid 3 is awesome but there's like a massively grueling 7 minute opening sequence that you can't skip

it's so charming somehow that they didn't know it pisses people off back then yet

Old 06-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #288
Elphenor
Braindead

Super Metroid right?

Old 06-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #289
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Friekin super Metroid is a top 5 snes for me, love the atmosphere and music

Gosh I love snes it’s gotta be my fave system probably

Old 06-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #290
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

yea Super Metroid my bad. i never owned it as a kid. definitely looks badass though, i'm gonna delve into that one later on. been playing mainly Contra and Super Mario World so far

this vid is great

Last edited by teh b0lly!!1 : 06-22-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #291
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Anyone else playing Darkest Dungeon? The gothic, turn-based rpg about the unique stressors of adventuring?

I’m friekin hooked. It’s hard as balls sometimes and your people bleed everywhere plus lose their minds, and you have to lock them in the sanitarium or pay for a night in the brothel so they can blow off steam, but i love it somehow. Still haven’t done much but F around in low level ruins trying to train up a few choice heroes, keep em from that nagging ever-present permadeath

Old 06-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #292
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

no but that sounds fucking amazing and imma check it out

70% off on steam yessss

Last edited by reprise85 : 06-23-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #293
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Do it!!! Tell me what heroes you like and we can trade stategems

Right now I’m using the plague dr and lady that can stun/heal in back, large dude with mace in front, wild card behind him (either highwayman or executioner)

Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #294
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Mass Effect: Andromeda is pretty solid. Not sure why all the bad press

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #295
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Do it!!! Tell me what heroes you like and we can trade stategems

Right now I’m using the plague dr and lady that can stun/heal in back, large dude with mace in front, wild card behind him (either highwayman or executioner)
I did it! So my first real strategy has been to have 1 or 2 ppl who can Mark and have those two + a 3rd person who has a strong attack vs. marked plus some sort of healer.

for example:

Crusader (dat stun, can heal a little, +24 light seems useful. tanky.)

Occultist (has the best heal though it's variable, can debuff/mark)

Bounty Hunter (can mark back two positions, pulls them forward to the front, attack is +90% damage vs marked)

Houndmaster (+60% damage vs marked and can attack any position, and also a second attack that marks and debuffs)

so i can mark anyone in any position and if they're in the back they get pulled up and their ass is beat in one round, and then stun the second most powerful... etc

seems to work real good so far

Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #296
run2pee
Minion of Satan

That’s bitchin I need to mess around with markings, i’ve mostly been trying to keep multiple characters who can stun so those creepy dicks that throw stressful tempting goblets (of blood) in your mouth won’t stress everyone out, plus the lady with the scary incantation

How about that narrator huh gosh i just love it when he say something like “another one FALLS” or “back to the PIT”

Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 AM   #297
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah it's coll, i like it

Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #298
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i just played for like 3 hours straight after being up since 4am and working all day. i am fucking toasted

it's getting a little repetitive but that's cuz i suck a lot and am having problems finishing dungeons to level people. but i'm learning.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #299
run2pee
Minion of Satan

My biggest struggle right now is keeping enough money to do stress relief and send em to the sanitarium to cure bad habits etc

Apparently there’s a puppet show that’s like cheap stress relief but I need more wealth to build it

I feel there’s depth here im not yet appreciating, a lot of different ways to build a strong roster but yeah i am doing it the hardest/longest way by just running low level dungeons to level whoever will survive

Old 06-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #300
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i don't mean to be the drooling kid but the snes is awesome and totally worth the price of admission. i think i'm gonna flash it in the next few days and put some extra games on it, Turtles in Time and Mario All Stars are the most immediate dudes to get on there but i'm also finding so many more that seem worth looking into. AND i just discovered you can also put NES games on it as well so i'll be doing that as well