Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #181
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Glad ppl are still playing games, keep it up, we have to play more games everyone, it is good and it helps. Personally I’m playing these on switch:

Breath of the wild - 150 hours and it’s time to wrap up some beasts and go see Gannon. Still finding delights and occasional challenges (neat, rare trick of not permitting one to feel too overpowered after this long in an rpg) but the sparse piano soundtrack (which infuriatingly still cannot be muted) and battle music has begun to grate and sadly ruin the fun of my explorations, so...oh well, it’s been strange/beautiful and as good as everyone said and I can honestly declare not one bit of it ever sucked imo 10/10

Stardew Valley - holy F it’s addictive. Everyone is my boy/girlfriend but I don’t know how I’ll ever reach the bottom of skull mines without an elevator. Sick of my million cows/chickens, every day i consider selling them but for some reason keep allowing them to eat up half my life. I do enjoy my dirty disgusting pig. Mmmm plus the music, still. An astonishing achievement of a passion project of a game. Will probably play for the rest of my life 10/10

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero - Supermetroid style supersmooth platform adventure with absolute bitchin music and bright visuals. Whip fools with your purple hair, F yeah! Some gratuitous fan service that occasionally makes me feel weird conflicting stirrings in my beavescrote/morals but not so overdone as to ruin the fun vibe. 7/10

Escapists 2 - I Fucken hate this game it’s not what I thought it would be at all. It’s all rummaging in desks and inscrutable crafting. Not easy to get into for me. Loads forever. Musics ok but gets old. Nothing about it or its multiple systems is deep except the incredibly deep and intimidating crafting. Unbalanced. Unfun. Would return if I could, worst $20 I’ve spent on eshop 3/10

Old 03-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #182
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Dragonball FighterZ is a blast. It's the DBZ fighting game that I've always wanted. Yes, it's basically Guilty Gear meets Marvel vs Capcom with DBZ characters but fucking aye it's addictive. Easy to learn, difficult to master, with tons of single and PvP fun to be had.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #183
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I just learned that Xbone is finally getting around to having backward compatibility with original Xbox games. Fucking sick! The list is pretty limited right now, but I immediately relived my childhood experiences of Fuzion Frenzy and Crimson Skies (okay, I wasn't that young when I played Crimson Skies because, by the time I bought it, the system was probably over a decade old... I've always been behind in video games).

Also saw Grabbed by the Ghoulies in the store. That was the only game I've ever played to earn the distinction of being "so bad it's good," something usually only reserved for cult B-movies. The controls are idiotic and camera is clunky, but damn, I've got some nostalgia for that stupid fucking game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
is it fucking hilarious only to me that somebody tried to drive lawfully so hard in GTA, that they complained about trafficlights being wrong?

that was an A+ post, Disco you gotta loosen up dude
I pretty much play video games in the same way that Principal Skinner would try to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
GTA IV was kind of an underwhelming experience, never really living up to the memories of thos earlier games despite looking so much better.

The fifth is definitely a major improvement, though I'm not sure if the multiple protagonists thing ever truly worked.
Maybe I'll try the new one out if it ever comes down in price (probably by the time the sixth game and next generation of consoles comes out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
breeg will teach you how to drive

He generously shared with me many of his tips in the late great generic games thread, if you’re inclined to dig for it; definitely helped me enjoy the game a lot more

For me I keep coming back to this gta to live out my sick roadrage fantasy. Just glorious vehicular mayhem/savagery.

Typical sesh begins by driving carefully/polite for a few minutes, then use 1st inevitable fenderbender as justification to SNAP, commit brutal knifing homicide on the other driver and anyone nearby who dares to complains.

End up racing the wrong way on the interstate in someone else’s big SUV, head-on crashing into every car in sight, as punishment just for existing

Really helps shake the creeping bads from a long daily commute irl
Maybe if we didn't have video games like GTA, we could actually have more violence on the streets, because people would have no choice but to take their frustrations out on real motorists and pedestrians.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #184
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

personally I always feel better when I power up my xbox and lay down countless police officers and bystanders with myriad weapons of war

my friend used to tell me she was afraid that because I play too much GTA, one day I will be in a real car but THINK I am playing and go on a rampage

Old 03-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #185
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Since I've never been much of a gamer and have mostly stuck to licensed games about superheroes I like or The Simpsons or something (or game series I really latched onto as a kid, like SSX), I've been thinking of branching out and playing more popular games.

L.A. Noire looks interesting to me. Looks like it actually involves detective work and interrogation. Also, it looks like you can drive properly in it.

Mirror's Edge is another one I've had my eye on. I love the parkour elements of Sunset Overdrive, and the environments in Mirror's Edge look pretty.

I really dig the rhythmic combat of the Batman: Arkham games, that focus on timing and recognizing context instead of giving you a bunch of button combinations that you will only ever memorize one or two of and get by sticking to. Since I don't know a lot about video-game combat, I've been thinking of checking out other sorts of combat systems that are highly praised, like Bayonetta. I feel like I don't have the right to bestow the honour of "best combat" on the Batman games if I've played so few games with different combat myself.

And then there's games that I always hear the names of, but know nothing about, like:

Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid
Dead Space
Borderlands
Witcher

Honestly, all I know about these titles is that I hear them a lot. I couldn't tell you one from the other. But they must be fun.

Going out to buy some Cheetos and Mountain Dew to aid my journey of becoming a true gamer.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #186
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

borderlands is dumb imo. barely any story and the ending is a big nothing. you are expected to play the equiv of new game+ to get higher levels to get better weapons

Old 03-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #187
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Since I've never been much of a gamer and have mostly stuck to licensed games about superheroes I like or The Simpsons or something (or game series I really latched onto as a kid, like SSX), I've been thinking of branching out and playing more popular games.

L.A. Noire looks interesting to me. Looks like it actually involves detective work and interrogation. Also, it looks like you can drive properly in it.

Mirror's Edge is another one I've had my eye on. I love the parkour elements of Sunset Overdrive, and the environments in Mirror's Edge look pretty.

I really dig the rhythmic combat of the Batman: Arkham games, that focus on timing and recognizing context instead of giving you a bunch of button combinations that you will only ever memorize one or two of and get by sticking to. Since I don't know a lot about video-game combat, I've been thinking of checking out other sorts of combat systems that are highly praised, like Bayonetta. I feel like I don't have the right to bestow the honour of "best combat" on the Batman games if I've played so few games with different combat myself.

And then there's games that I always hear the names of, but know nothing about, like:

Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid
Dead Space
Borderlands
Witcher

Honestly, all I know about these titles is that I hear them a lot. I couldn't tell you one from the other. But they must be fun.

Going out to buy some Cheetos and Mountain Dew to aid my journey of becoming a true gamer.
the Batman game combat looks pretty but isn't great

like the early AC games counter is super broken and you can win every brawl with just one button

Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #188
Elphenor
Braindead

Mass Effect 2 is a very good game

Old 03-31-2018, 03:29 AM   #189
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I loved dead space 1 and 2, might have played 3 also. it's very horror, with all the clichés you could think of, but still frightening as fuck

Old 04-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #190
Disco King
Minion of Satan

So, some games I've been trying out recently:

Bayonetta- I thought I'd give this one a try to see what a "good" game with button-sequence-combination combat is like, in contrast to the more rhythm-based Arkham-style combat I like. I was hoping to find that I'd enjoy this sort of combat mechanic just as much as the other if done exceptionally well.

Well, I have the exact same problem with it that I have with any other button-combo combat I've had. Can't get the combinations to ever actually work, and it seems like pure chance decides how the game interprets my inputs. As such, I end up just mashing buttons, and doing just fine in the combat, anyway.

I also cannot make heads nor tails of what's going on in this game. The cutscenes are, like, twenty fucking minutes long, yet I'm still no more enlightened about who my character is supposed to be or what her goal even is than before the cutscene began. One guy kept on referencing "Eggman." Is this in the fucking Sonic universe? How come there are no anthropomorphic animals then? Where am I? Where's my medication? The game is just constant disorienting sensory assault.

Mirror's Edge- I absolutely love the visual design, and the selective use of colour to highlight interactive objects and create a tone of a sterile environment. The game looks great. Which makes me wonder why all the cutscenes use SHITTY FLASH ANIMATION THAT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM NEWGROUNDS CIRCA-2004 INSTEAD OF JUST USING THE GAMEPLAY ENGINE.

The game isn't bad, but it's frustrating. I thought I'd get that same feeling of freedom and deft, graceful movement that I get from other games with acrobatic traversal, like Sunset Overdrive and Spider-Man 2. However, I should have anticipated that any game that has map traversal not just as a means of getting between objectives, but as the objective itself, will only be able to make the game challenging by making the traversal challenging. If it were as easy as traversal in games were traversal isn't the only thing the player does, there would be no game.

And while that's understandable, the downside of that is that I never feel like I get any kind of fluid gameplay out of this game, because it's a lot of falling into the same chasm thirteen or fourteen times until you finally get the timing right by total fluke. There are no visual cues for timing, and it's a first-person game for some reason, so it's hard to even know how close you are to the edge of a platform. Also, the controls are... weird. EVERY OTHER GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES USES THE BOTTOM FACE BUTTON (A or X or whatever) to jump. This game makes it a bumper button. And ducking is the trigger right below with using only one side of the controller.

Witcher- I've only gone as far as the tutorial, and I'm already overwhelmed. Why does combat need a dodge button, a different-kind-of-dodge button, and a block button? Don't they all have the same function (avoiding getting hit)? Why make combat more complex than it needs to be? Also, I can't even beat the tutorial guy because he keeps on spamming his shield every time I hit him more than a couple of times? And using that wheel for the special powers in the middle of combat takes too long and I just get hit again?

Also, it looks like one of those games where you have to understand a million different mechanics and keep track of a million different stats. WATCH YOUR STAMINA. COLLECT THIS SHIT TO MAKE THIS POTION IN ORDER TO FIGHT THESE KINDS OF ENEMIES. WHAT TIME OF DAY IS IT? OH HEY YOUR SWORD IS BROKEN, YOU HAVE TO GO FIX IT. HEY RETARD, DIDN'T I JUST TELL YOU TO WATCH YOUR FUCKING STAMINA?!

I think maybe RPG-style games just aren't for me. I don't want to feel like I have to do research just to understand how to play the game. Seriously, the tutorial instructions have, like, Disco-length walls of texts to explain to me how I'm supposed to do shit. Games are supposed to be fun, I may as well just do that fucking homework that I'm procrastinating on if you want me to read all this shit.

L.A. Noire- I'm really liking this one so far. Similar to GTA, but better, IMO. The controls are simpler and more streamlined. Combat is less clunky, but clunky enough to let me believe I'm some 1940s copper instead of a superhero or something, so it's fitting. The visual design and atmosphere is great, even if the faces look like they tried too hard to make them "realistic" and just ended up programming them with the computer-generated equivalent of William Shatner's over-acted facial expressions. Driving feels a lot more fluid than in GTA.

I dig the detective elements. It feels a lot more like I'm actually doing something and being all smart and clever that the detective bits in the Batman games were you just turn on a button to make everything important glow orange and then are able to re-create a virtual recording of a crime by scanning a couple footprints and a bullet hole (detective stuff in Batman games feels too much like being that guy on CSI who yells "ENHANCE" at low-res convenience store security-cam footage). The interrogations, though a fun idea, are poorly executed, because the response options are so vague that it's impossible to know which one is the sensible choice.

Very soon, I will be trying out Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, and Dead Space.

Also, I downloaded the newest GTA because it was on sale, so I'll see if I like it better than the previous one.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #191
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Fucken love your reviews DK, keep playing and keep em coming

I never tried any of those games. What are you rocking, a ps3 or whatever? I can talk some ps3 generation

If you’re especially interested in combat did you ever try infamous 1 or 2? I have two and it’s a good mix of beaten em up + use your electricity powers to, like, lift and throw cars sometimes, for fun even. Plus the traversal is a Fucken pure joy, can just run, jump, climb buildings, jump off, all at high speed with really fluid and satisfying controls

Old 04-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #192
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Skyrim did that thing it does again where it sucks me in and all i can think about is when will i get some more iron ores so I can blacksmith iron ingots so I can craft a treasure chest to go under the saber tooth tiger face that’s on the wall of my house over the lake......hours and hours go by and I can’t quit, just gotta find those ores

So far homesteading and hiking are my favorites, haven’t gotten involved in too much violence. Although I shouted at a wealthy dude in Riverwood who was rude to me (the Dragonborn shout where you go BOOF and a whoosh of magical air comes out of your...I think, your head, and knocks everyone back) and he got pist and pulled a knife, upon which my hot-headed follower, Rayya of the twin scimitars, swiftly murdered him

Went outside and got swarmed by the townspeople who were upset with me for letting Rayya murder the dude, and then I watched, in considerable embarrassment, as Rayya mercilessly saughtered every last adult in the town except for the town drunk and a merchant we’ve done a lot of business with

So then the town children were all sad because their parents’ bloody bodies were strewn thru the streets, so I adopted the nice one. The rude kid can get fucked, but the nice one lives with me now. She doesn’t even miss her parents, although I impose harsh discipline, seeing as she’s not my biological or anything

Old 04-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #193
Elphenor
Braindead

lol sorry to say this Disco but to enjoy those games you need to get gud

learning to execute the mechanics is half the fun in any traditional fighter

still recommend ME2 to you, you'd enjoy it I think

LA Noir bored me to tears, in fact all Rockstar games are overrated

Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #194
redbreegull

Quote:
L.A. Noire- I'm really liking this one so far. Similar to GTA, but better, IMO. The controls are simpler and more streamlined. Combat is less clunky, but clunky enough to let me believe I'm some 1940s copper instead of a superhero or something, so it's fitting. The visual design and atmosphere is great, even if the faces look like they tried too hard to make them "realistic" and just ended up programming them with the computer-generated equivalent of William Shatner's over-acted facial expressions. Driving feels a lot more fluid than in GTA.

I dig the detective elements. The interrogations, though a fun idea, are poorly executed, because the response options are so vague that it's impossible to know which one is the sensible choice.

Also, I downloaded the newest GTA because it was on sale, so I'll see if I like it better than the previous one.
I love LA Noire but I actually disagree with almost everything you said. I think the combat and driving are significantly worse than any GTA game, including IV, but that's because those aspects are totally not the focus of the game. IIRC the times when you pull a gun out are few and far between. I found steering the vehicles to be excessively difficult which maybe is in part because they are huge ass cars from 1948 or whatever, but I suspect is mostly just that the developers did not fall over themselves to make realistic driving a key aspect of the game. The faces were actually mapped with face recognition software which was a big deal when the game dropped in 2011 or 2012. What are you playing on?

My suggestion for the interrogation elements is to just look up the correct answers tbh. You don't really change the outcome of the story beyond the score you get on a particular investigation. You're right that sometimes the statements are vague and even if you know someone is lying, the correct answer may be "doubt" because you don't want to put the perp on the spot and shit like that. You are actually supposed to be watching their facial expressions and movements and choosing based on that I believe.

You got GTA V? Enjoy. The story and characters are stupid as fuck but it's a really fun game, especially the enhanced version with the first person feature. The only advice you need: only do the FIRST assassination mission for Lester, the one that you have to do in the story. Leave ALL other assassinations until you complete the main story so you can make the most money and afford to buy all the properties and cars and shit. try not to spend too much cash until after you do this so you'll have the most to play with at the end. When you get to the assassination missions, make sure to look up how to play the stock market to make max profit cause it's a little confusing.

Quote:
Skyrim did that thing it does again where it sucks me in and all i can think about is when will i get some more iron ores so I can blacksmith iron ingots so I can craft a treasure chest to go under the saber tooth tiger face that’s on the wall of my house over the lake......hours and hours go by and I can’t quit, just gotta find those ores
I have been considering downloading the enhanced version of Skyrim... but I know it is going to suck me in p. hard. I wish I could port over my character and game from Xbox360 so I don't have to start over. I logged about 450 hours on Skyrim in 2016/2017

Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #195
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Fucken love your reviews DK, keep playing and keep em coming

I never tried any of those games. What are you rocking, a ps3 or whatever? I can talk some ps3 generation

If you’re especially interested in combat did you ever try infamous 1 or 2? I have two and it’s a good mix of beaten em up + use your electricity powers to, like, lift and throw cars sometimes, for fun even. Plus the traversal is a Fucken pure joy, can just run, jump, climb buildings, jump off, all at high speed with really fluid and satisfying controls
I'm on the Xbox One, actually. Won it at a staff party a couple of years back. Which is great, because I would have never bought one otherwise, as I can't justify dropping $500 just to play games, but I'll gladly buy games if I've got the system for free.

I don't know much about the PS3/X360 generation, because I essentially skipped it. Had an Xbox as a kid, but it broke and I never replaced it with a 360 until years after it was released when a friend gave me his old one for free. I literally only bought Batman: Arkham Asylum and played that. It wasn't even until they were remastered/made compatible on the One that I played the sequels.

I've heard good things about inFamous. Unfortunately, it's a Sony Exclusive. I've heard that [Prototype] is similar, so I might download that eventually.

Quote:

So far homesteading and hiking are my favorites, haven’t gotten involved in too much violence. Although I shouted at a wealthy dude in Riverwood who was rude to me (the Dragonborn shout where you go BOOF and a whoosh of magical air comes out of your...I think, your head, and knocks everyone back) and he got pist and pulled a knife, upon which my hot-headed follower, Rayya of the twin scimitars, swiftly murdered him

Went outside and got swarmed by the townspeople who were upset with me for letting Rayya murder the dude, and then I watched, in considerable embarrassment, as Rayya mercilessly saughtered every last adult in the town except for the town drunk and a merchant we’ve done a lot of business with

So then the town children were all sad because their parents’ bloody bodies were strewn thru the streets, so I adopted the nice one. The rude kid can get fucked, but the nice one lives with me now. She doesn’t even miss her parents, although I impose harsh discipline, seeing as she’s not my biological or anything
Hmm... never played that. It sounds like a game must have pretty complex AI and a persistent gameworld for that sort of stuff to be possible, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
lol sorry to say this Disco but to enjoy those games you need to get gud

learning to execute the mechanics is half the fun in any traditional fighter

still recommend ME2 to you, you'd enjoy it I think

LA Noir bored me to tears, in fact all Rockstar games are overrated
I dunno, I think games are best when they are easy to pick up, but difficult to master. The learning curve should be such that getting into it is a breeze and more about being introduced to the world and mechanics, and as soon as you got that stuff down, they start throwing shit at you that maybe you won't get on the first try. I also think it's best when, instead of some tutorial level where they dump everything on you at once, they introduce you to the mechanics more fluidly.

Mirror's Edge is all, like, dump of instructions at the beginning, and then a whole lot of dying.

Although with Witcher, I eventually realized that the reason I couldn't beat the tutorial guy was because he isn't meant to be beat. Fighting some actual enemy NPCs turned out to be a lot easier.

I still feel like the game has got too much going on for my tastes, though. Watched some video about "tips and tricks" and it felt like studying for an exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I love LA Noire but I actually disagree with almost everything you said. I think the combat and driving are significantly worse than any GTA game, including IV, but that's because those aspects are totally not the focus of the game. IIRC the times when you pull a gun out are few and far between. I found steering the vehicles to be excessively difficult which maybe is in part because they are huge ass cars from 1948 or whatever, but I suspect is mostly just that the developers did not fall over themselves to make realistic driving a key aspect of the game. The faces were actually mapped with face recognition software which was a big deal when the game dropped in 2011 or 2012. What are you playing on?

My suggestion for the interrogation elements is to just look up the correct answers tbh. You don't really change the outcome of the story beyond the score you get on a particular investigation. You're right that sometimes the statements are vague and even if you know someone is lying, the correct answer may be "doubt" because you don't want to put the perp on the spot and shit like that. You are actually supposed to be watching their facial expressions and movements and choosing based on that I believe.

You got GTA V? Enjoy. The story and characters are stupid as fuck but it's a really fun game, especially the enhanced version with the first person feature. The only advice you need: only do the FIRST assassination mission for Lester, the one that you have to do in the story. Leave ALL other assassinations until you complete the main story so you can make the most money and afford to buy all the properties and cars and shit. try not to spend too much cash until after you do this so you'll have the most to play with at the end. When you get to the assassination missions, make sure to look up how to play the stock market to make max profit cause it's a little confusing.

I have been considering downloading the enhanced version of Skyrim... but I know it is going to suck me in p. hard. I wish I could port over my character and game from Xbox360 so I don't have to start over. I logged about 450 hours on Skyrim in 2016/2017
I guess the ease of driving in L.A. Noire has less to do with the actual physics, and more to do with the traffic density. There are fewer cars, so you can actually get around without bumping into everyone. In terms of the physics, the cars feel almost weightless and the steering is too sensitive. Try to make a turn in the turning lane and you end up driving over the curb and freaking out the civilians. Or you try to change lanes, and turn too sharply. I'll have to check to see if I can tweak the controls, though.

Yeah, I believe the motion capture is meant to make the characters' facial expressions look more realistic so that you can judge their reactions, but they end up falling into the uncanny valley. With the interrogations, for one mission, I suspected this one character of doing the murder, so I only wanted to question her after investigating more. So I questioned some other guy first. It turned out that he did it, so I caught him and finished the mission without ever questioning the other suspect. Now I'm curious about the details her dialogue would have added to the story, even if they weren't necessary to completing it.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #196
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
I loved dead space 1 and 2, might have played 3 also. it's very horror, with all the clichés you could think of, but still frightening as fuck
I just played a bit of the first level last night. I liked it, but switched to something else when I started feeling that maybe it wasn't the best choice for 3 AM.

Actually, it probably was the best choice for 3 AM. I'm just a wuss.

Even though it's fun, I suck at aiming, so the whole "aim for the arms" thing...

Old 04-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #197
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I was trying to figure out what the in-universe reason for why shooting the monsters in Dead Space in the limbs is deadlier than shooting them in the abdomen. Like, do they store their organs there, or what?

Quote:
When dealing with a Necromorph, it is advisable to induce as much blood loss as possible by any means necessary while shooting at the torso or head are inefficient ways to deprive a Necromorphic host body of blood. Enough shots to the head or body will eventually drain the body to the point where it assumed lifelessness i.e. the physical inability to mobilize themselves despite the presence of any functional limbs still connected to the host. The typical Necromorphic limb had for all practical significance, similar characteristics to a shaped mass of spongy muscular tissue made hard via engorgement with the host's blood. It is commonly observed that removal of such limbs will cause the host to lose a substantial amount of blood while the limb itself turns flaccid.
Turns out those arms are penis arms.

Now I'm really too scared to go back and play this game.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:48 AM   #198
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Hahahahah

Never read that before.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #199
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I tried Dead Space 1 also and same thing: loved the atmosphere and horror and concept and everything but b/c i suck fux @ aiming felt the game would be excruciatingly difficult to progress

Did you complete these games smash j’s? Do you have any fave/tips for dix what suck fux like me and DK?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #200
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I was getting burnt out on Skyrim but Solstheim (Dragonborn DLC) has reinvigorated me

Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #201
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Far Cry 5 appears to be out and I'm thinking of treating myself for recent shows of extreme tolerance.

Anybody on it?

Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #202
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've never played a Far Cry game and don't even know what they are about, but a coworker of mine said I'd probably like it.

I tried Splinter Cell: Conviction, because it's the only entry that's compatible with the Xbox One. I like it because I like stealth shit, but it really seems like your only strategy is to die enough times that you memorize the patrol patterns and how the AI reacts to your actions. And I feel like even if a game is hard enough that you aren't likely to beat a level on the first attempt, it should be in principle conceivably beatable on the first attempt, instead of relying on trial-and-error.

I also hear that this entry is the least stealthy of the series, and puts a lot more focus on combat. Too bad. I probably would have preferred one of the stealthier ones. Apparently, the other installments give you non-lethal options and let you drag around and hide incapacitated bodies to avoid having them discovered by other enemies. That sounds more fun than just shooting everybody.

The game has a great interrogation mechanic, though.

Also, I tried playing Assassin's Creed. I got the "Ezio trilogy" (a package of several remastered installments) and Black Flag, and started with Assassin's Creed II.

Holy shit, the controls are just awful in this game. Everything is mapped to a few context-sensitive buttons, so it's really hard to get the game to recognize what move you want to execute. You try to parkour your way up a tower by jumping to the next handhold, but the game thinks that you're actually trying to leap off the tower to your death, because of course that's what you want to do. It's impossible to land on the correct platform or grip the correct ledge. You just go all over the place or get stuck somewhere. The combat and targeting system sucks, too. The character isn't very likable so far.

I'm not understanding why this is such a popular triple-A franchise. Fucking moving around shouldn't be the hard part of a game like this.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #203
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
I tried Dead Space 1 also and same thing: loved the atmosphere and horror and concept and everything but b/c i suck fux @ aiming felt the game would be excruciatingly difficult to progress

Did you complete these games smash j’s? Do you have any fave/tips for dix what suck fux like me and DK?
I did complete them but I don't think I had any special tactics. I'm not much of a gamer at all; if I succeed the rest of the world should definitely succeed

speaking of which, I've been looking for something cool to play, the last real game I played was fallout 4, which has been over a year ago now I think. far cry 5 is out I see, I'd try that. any other tips maybe?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:26 AM   #204
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:

Stardew Valley - holy F it’s addictive. Everyone is my boy/girlfriend but I don’t know how I’ll ever reach the bottom of skull mines without an elevator. Sick of my million cows/chickens, every day i consider selling them but for some reason keep allowing them to eat up half my life. I do enjoy my dirty disgusting pig. Mmmm plus the music, still. An astonishing achievement of a passion project of a game. Will probably play for the rest of my life 10/10
ahaha, give me some hardcore dating tips, please, it's starting to screw up my schedule, at 4 you have to be at one date, and at 8 at the other on the same day!
also loved going to a ballgame with one of my bfs, and the other was sitting right behind us.
it's tiresome but I can't ditch them all just yet, I need that arrogant douche of Elliot to be my boyfriend, then I collected every single available and can get off the valley meat market.

started playing a month ago, and oh yes, this is addictive. and fuck the chickens, I am selling them the second they have the highest (heart) value and see ya, little shitters, nobody needs that much mayo. dragons, too, they are so tiny I don't want to look for them in the tall grass just so I can pet their worthless behind. pigs are at least so fat that there is no chance you miss them!

no clue about skull cavern, either, with a lot of doping I at least survive now, but all the way down? no way.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #205
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Far Cry 5 is a little disappointing.

Rather than expand upon the previous games, it feels more like they've simplified things.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #206
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Really looking forward to the new God of War thats coming out next week, new gameplay looks sick.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #207
Disco King
Minion of Satan

The upcoming Spider-Man game looks really great. Too bad it's a PS4 exclusive and I won't be able to play it (I'm guessing Sony, who owns the movie license to the title, strong-armed Marvel/Disney into making the game exclusive to their platform as part of their movie license deal... that's just wild speculation, though). It looks like taking and refining the awesome swinging from Spider-Man 2, mixing it with Sunset Overdrive's parkour traversal, and throwing in Batman: Arkham-style combat and stealth, but with more flashy Spider-moves and environmental interaction (one gameplay video showed Spider-Man tossing some fools around, and then using his webbing to pull some scaffolding into them as they tried to advance on him). It looks like it may even edge out the Arkham games, but we'll see. Well, not me, I won't see. People with PS4s will see.

It seems like there's not a lot in the way of Spider-Man for Xbox anymore. None of the old games are compatible with the One. The only games on the One are the tie-ins for the Andrew Garfield movies, and those aren't even offered in the Xbox store anymore, so you'd have to buy a physical copy.

I thought I might download some of the older Spider-Man games (I never played any after Ultimate Spider-Man) for PC, but Steam doesn't offer them, either. And physical copies are super expensive on Amazon ($130 for Web of Shadows... why?).

I decided to just illegally download Web of Shadows, but it just wouldn't work and would give me an error dialog box any time I tried to start it up (and Googling around, it looks like this is a common problem for people). The gods don't want me playing Spider-Man, I guess.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #208
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I guess I've started playing the original Splinter Cell. More in line with what I was expecting from the title than I got with Conviction, which felt more like a third-person tactical shooter than a stealth game. The original is pretty cool and feels somewhat ahead of its time. Even the lighting seems more sophisticated than in some more modern games.

Seeing as old PC games don't recognize controllers, I had to use a third-party programme to manually re-map every control to a controller button so that I wouldn't have to use the keyboard. Seeing as the PC game wasn't made wit controllers in mind, the controls are a little awkward. I originally tried to map the controls to the way the Xbox version would have worked, but I realized that was impossible, because the controls aren't 1:1 analogous for the PC and Xbox versions of the games. I eventually settled on something that I find more-or-less intuitive. I've got Chaos Theory coming in the mail, and that copy is an Xbox copy, so I should find that less of a headache.

Hearing about what Conviction was supposed to be, it seems like the studio was originally intending to take more of a risk with it, but backed down and just made it a shooter with a little bit of stealth in there. It was originally supposed to be inspired by modern spy shit like 24 and Jason Bourne, having Splinter Cell guy without all his gear, and trying to evade people by getting lost in crowds in public and shit like that. They kept the "he doesn't have his gear" angle, and the game even lacks his spooky triangle goggles, but other than that, it's just shooting people and running away and hiding behind some other waist-high block and then shooting people again.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #209
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Also, is it ever explained in Splinter Cell why all these guards are patrolling in total darkness, anyway? Was their boss just paying them to stumble around in the dark, as if that's conducive to their job of guarding things? "Hey boss, I have no problem doing the night shift for security at the office, but you think I could turn on some lights this time?" "Listen, we'd have lights on at night if we didn't have somebody stealing the light bulbs at night. And if we didn't have somebody stealing the light bulbs at night, we wouldn't need an overnight security guard to catch whoever's been stealing the light bulbs at night. Use your frickin' head, Daniel."

Old 04-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #210
redbreegull

Quote:
I guess I've started playing the original Splinter Cell. More in line with what I was expecting from the title than I got with Conviction, which felt more like a third-person tactical shooter than a stealth game. The original is pretty cool and feels somewhat ahead of its time. Even the lighting seems more sophisticated than in some more modern games.
hell yeah the original splinter cell is great. I played it 15 years ago or more and still remember how awesome all the sneaking around and silent kills were. it was definitely ahead of it's time. a game where you have to hide the bodies? mind blown