Like Sizzler she got a beef we'll chew the fat,
If I forget to put the seat up I can put up with her crap,
Let her lash out and crack the whip but not in bed I don't play rough,
No I can't be tied down with a girl that wants me tied up,
Just independent like NOFX ,smart like Janeane Garafolo,
She'd use big words to make fun of me so that I would never know,
Bestow upon me all her wisdom of the Dewey Decimal System, gee,
You know what I really want in a girl? Me

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 07-05-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #62
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

The world is a terrible place for music. I graduated high school in 1997; so I was 17 and in my final year of school when Paranoid Android and No Surprises were released, but all anybody remembers about that year is this

Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 AM   #63
LaBelle
Socialphobic

It's all about dat millenial whoop now

Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #64
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Heathens by Twenty One Pilots is a jam, but I don't really care for their other songs.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #65
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
The world is a terrible place for music. I graduated high school in 1997; so I was 17 and in my final year of school when Paranoid Android and No Surprises were released, but all anybody remembers about that year is this

that's a ghastly one

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #66
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've always thought Elton John was vastly overrated. Even his "good stuff" isn't all that great.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #67
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

them's fighting words

Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 AM   #68
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've never been really into that sort of theatrical type of music. Not even Meatloaf, aside from a couple songs.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #69
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Oh I would do anything for love, but I won't listen to Imagine Dragons

Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #70
fuzzyroes
Banned

This song always tugs at my heart strings

Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 AM   #71
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it tugs at my foreskin

Old 07-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #72
fuzzyroes
Banned

Shit, I should've saved that Meat Loaf song for the new ballad series that I'm producing in the music forum.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:24 AM   #73
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I've always thought Elton John was vastly overrated. Even his "good stuff" isn't all that great.
shut the hell up

Old 07-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #74
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...44/247/297.png

Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #75
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
But does this video inclewd thoughts from Joe Rogan? Because that guy's got his finger on the pulse of what's going on all the time!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #76
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Middle-aged cishet white guy hates pop music. News at 11.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #77
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I still don't understand how this mathematical term became an analogy for products that are widely accessible and considered banal. They are, like, multiples of a lot of… things?
they are so low (in quality) that everyone can understand them, even banal/stupid people?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Oh I would do anything for love, but I won't listen to Imagine Dragons
imagine dragons really is terrible, i fucking hate them

Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #79
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Middle-aged cishet white guy hates pop music. News at 11.
Yeah how do you not feel like a caricature Fuzzy

Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #80
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
the problem is more that the quality music that is available to the general public has inarguably decreased a crazy amount over the years, and unless you have a special interest in music and take the time and effort to explore rabbitholes (which most people don't), the great majority of what you're gonna hear out there is music that doesn't even attempt any sort of craftsmanship, but has a sole purpose of making as much money and hooking as many children as possible. that's everybody's loss, and it's a damn shame if you ask me, because even though it was always Money Talking, there used to be a lot of substance to be found even in mainstream music
Quote:
i mean yeah me personally, i'm not affected, because i just don't listen to the radio and i explore my own avenues. but it's still a pity that music as a general idea that belongs to the public has been downgraded such a critical amount
Quote:
Well think Elphie, you think any of those great post-punk bands you like would've found a platform in today's musical climate?

Fat chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
the general public has internet access. so everything you and i listen to is available to them as well.

it's they're own fault they listen to shit.
Quote:
Not true at all. You look at the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and even the start of the 00' and there was always creative good mainstream music to be found. Yes, I realize there was a ton of shit too, but there WAS good stuff. Recently they've switched the music at my work to only current hits and let me tell you brother... YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH IT SUCKS. I think that's what people don't realize. Most of us don't listen to the new mainstream shit, but god, let me tell you. It is BAD.

That video I posted does a spot on job of articulating why it's as bad as it is.
A general response to all of this: I think Took is most right. The radio does not represent "mainstream" anymore, at least not the way it did in the 60s and 70s and even the 90s. Media has multiplied. The truth is that almost any kind of music can be popular today, more so than any time in the past, it's just about breaking into your specialized niche market versus breaking into a very compact, homogenized pool of sounds with corporate lifeguards. As late as the 90s, radio still had to appeal to people with disparate tastes. Radio now only has to present the most watered-down and unoffensive music for old people, teenagers, or for the background soundtrack in old navy. Just because something is not on the radio does not mean it is not popular. Seriously, radio is absolutely in no way an indicator of that anymore. Today there are indie bands who have never been played on air beyond college stations, and they can fill venues with tens of thousands of people. Everything has changed. If people only listen to top 40 shit, they are choosing to do so most likely because nearly everyone has access to the internet and almost no one listens to the radio anymore as their primary source of music, at least not people close to the age of the people on this board.

In terms of what people are actually listening to, I seriously doubt the spectrum has ever been more diverse. Between Spotify, Pandora, Youtube, and file sharing, the ability to discover new music instantly for free is now unbelievably powerful. I hear about artists I have never heard of basically every time I speak to anyone about music.

If we are talking about the overall decline of pop music as a force which culture assembles around, I would say that is true, but even that is inextricably tied to the advent of mass media; folk music being co-opted by corporations in the 20th century (the birth of pop music and radio), and that model subsequently being replaced in the internet age where not just music but ALL kinds of media exist in such over-saturated abundance that it is literally impossible to ever absorb it all.

Last edited by redbreegull : 07-05-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #81
redbreegull

Also, much good music in the past was not radio popular. In fact, I would wager a majority of this board's favorite artists were never widely played on the radio. There have always been underground scenes, and a lot of what this community considers the "standards" or canonical or whatever, that music enjoyed only cult status until the age of the internet suddenly made it so everyone knew who the Pixies and the Smiths are. People used to actually go shop at record stores to find new shit, trade tapes, get into bands cause they saw them open for whoever... my point is just that yeah radio maybe did play good rock music and now doesn't, which is basically what fuzzy is actually saying, but there have always been limits to what you can hear through "mainstream" sources, there have always been backchannels, there have always been people who only listen to music as background noise and don't give a fuck, and there have always been people more seriously interested who will go out of their way to find good shit even if it is not what is offered up to them immediately by the corporate gatekeepers

Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #82
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I think Took is most right.
yep.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #83
Elphenor
Braindead

I pretty much said the same thing

it's because you're taller than me again

Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #84
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Exclamation

Quote:
and unless you have a special interest in music and take the time and effort to explore rabbitholes (which most people don't),

Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #85
Elphenor
Braindead

sounds like normies (reee)

Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #86
redbreegull

I dunno, I think the number of people who listen to more than top 40 radio is much larger than you guys think. Maybe not across the demographic spectrum, but if you looked at 20-40 year olds for example, I bet the majority who describe themselves as music listeners are not using radio as their first or even second or third main source of new music

Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #87
Elphenor
Braindead

I have no idea to be perfectly honest

I imagine car radio is not that popular but does popular music through Pandora count

Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Pretty much all of my friends (late 30s, early 40s) use Spotify. And they’ll use it like, search for playlists with keyword “chill” or “upbeat”.

I try to tell them that Spotify will kill the music industry as we know it, but I think they genuinely feel like we now have all the music that we could possibly need, so it doesn’t matter anyway.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #89
redbreegull

The music industry as we know it sucks though so would it really be bad to collapse it? I mean I dunno you hear about artists suffering, but I never hear artists talking about suffering because of the changing industry, except for old artists who are pissed people aren't paying hand over fist to hear their shitty hits from 35 years ago.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #90
Elphenor
Braindead

kill the music industry convo been happening since 1976 (if not earlier)

I feel like spotify is an attempt to bring it back

but also country and pop still making a killing in CD sales of all things no?