Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default 2018 TOUR: "Show will be timed to minute and will run same setlist every night"

"need to be A level Broadway type show"

no it doesn't you fucking asshole

I expected nothing yet am still let down.

Even on the MCIS tour they changed stuff up every night. No one gives a shit about lighting; they want to see the original 4 play music they love

Music isn't a competition, you only need to prove to the world that you're not a fucking asshole

Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Meh. The band has pretty much played to a planned set list since 2008. That does not bother me much. I'd rather have a professional, concise show than a repeat of 2012-2013.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
No one gives a shit about lighting; they want to see the original 4 play music they love
arena reunion tours aren't set up for people with an interest like what you describe. they are pricey tickets where you go see a band and a lot of parampampam-pomp you have never seen or not in many, many years and don't know any songs but your 5 favorite hits.

I was in for exactly that target audience to see the Pixies. (where I really only love their Siamese Dream.)

or for that matter, since this is going after teens - when I went to see the fucking Rolling Stones in an arena in 2000 because I was born 20 years too late to see them otherwise. that was not geared towards people who had been to concerts for decades already and are sick and tired of the hit songs.

Last edited by pavementtune : 02-13-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

pixies! whoo!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

And no one really cares now that Kim Deal isn't on bass. Or do they?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I guess actual fans of the "original pixies" might.

I had no idea about whatever was going on, if there had been articles, or niche boards, I saw "pixies" - realized I was able to go to that and did, one down the bucket list.
had I seen them a dozen times in the original formation back then, who knows. but I hadn't ever heard any of these songs live so - I got a ticket.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
MarquisInSpades
Banned

This is a song about a superhero named Tony

Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I guess actual fans of the "original pixies" might.

I had no idea about whatever was going on, if there had been articles, or niche boards, I saw "pixies" - realized I was able to go to that and did, one down the bucket list.
had I seen them a dozen times in the original formation back then, who knows. but I hadn't ever heard any of these songs live so - I got a ticket.
That's probably what a lot of people going to see the Pumpkins will do.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
pavementtune

exactly.

I made the mistake to go see a band I had seen before and know their entire catalog on such an arena anniversary tour.
the only time the 20 people around me woke up was to yell along to the hit lines, completely shitfaced, in 15k sports arena bunker where the light made me regret not bringing sunglasses and I went for earplugs 10 minutes in. it's fine - once. for music you didn't care for that much nor listened to in a long time. otherwise yea, just stay home lol.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i don't see it attracting a huge teen crowd tbh, but probably scores of casual fans from back in their heyday or shortly thereafter that remember them and never got a chance to see them. it's not impossible for people to discover them in 2018, of course, but i don't think they are the new big thing for teens.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
i don't see it attracting a huge teen crowd tbh, but probably scores of casual fans from back in their heyday or shortly thereafter that remember them and never got a chance to see them. it's not impossible for people to discover them in 2018, of course, but i don't think they are the new big thing for teens.
Of course not. Men (and a woman) in their 50s are of no interest to teenagers. Unless they're like stoner teenagers like the kids in the 90s discovering the Doors and VU.

Saying that, they could still pull in some "millennials" who would be aware of the band's "classic" status, and with lots of disposable income, afford to buy the ticket. If it's the "big show" of the year, the whole FOMO will kick in. They'll want to post on their social media streams that they were at the concert and saw this classic band.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
exactly.

I made the mistake to go see a band I had seen before and know their entire catalog on such an arena anniversary tour.
the only time the 20 people around me woke up was to yell along to the hit lines, completely shitfaced, in 15k sports arena bunker where the light made me regret not bringing sunglasses and I went for earplugs 10 minutes in. it's fine - once. for music you didn't care for that much nor listened to in a long time. otherwise yea, just stay home lol.
ugh this kind of vibe REALLY makes me want to pass but i've never seen iha or chamberlain live so i'm torn. if i'm going to a show i will have to get a babysitter for the first time in my child's life and i'm not about to waste my first night out since summer 2017. plus i have a personal problem with a band from 20 years ago selling $200 tickets for nosebleed seats. i gotta think on this.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
pavementtune

had I never seen JC live, I'd try to go honestly. like no amount of shitfaced fuckyoucrowd is gonna ruin that, I don't think so. unless you end up in the nosebleed sector where you neither hear nor see anything but the crowd, I guess.

are we assuming these tickets will go over 80 USD?

I have no idea what price level current arena gigs in the US are. (I never pay lololol.)

Nick Cave put up an amazing show in biggish venues, and is always pricey as fuck, they were between 60 and 90 euros on the 2017 tour.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Of course not. Men (and a woman) in their 50s are of no interest to teenagers. Unless they're like stoner teenagers like the kids in the 90s discovering the Doors and VU.

Saying that, they could still pull in some "millennials" who would be aware of the band's "classic" status, and with lots of disposable income, afford to buy the ticket. If it's the "big show" of the year, the whole FOMO will kick in. They'll want to post on their social media streams that they were at the concert and saw this classic band.
kind of a side note but "millennials" are hovering around 30 now

the teens of today are Generation Z and I can all but guarantee they won't give a shit unless their younger parents or significantly older siblings got them into the Pumpkins. this is definitely a nostalgia tour. although i am nervous about what this nightly set list will consist of.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
SPLATTER
Demi-God

this tour will be such a flop. no one will go. no one cares.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
are we assuming these tickets will go over 80 USD?

I have no idea what price level current arena gigs in the US are. (I never pay lololol.)
i definitely have to pay (and have splurged on arena tours, of course) and a $150 ticket wouldn't completely surprise me but of course I am hoping it will be no more than half that

Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jimmy really wasn't awe inspiring or anything on the Manson tour. This tour will be more of the same. Same set list every night and Jimbo on autopilot playing songs he could play in his sleep.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
pavementtune

true. but to my ears - having heard mikeybambam - it was a huge step up.

so people who have never heard JC at all, is what I'm saying -why not? (besides, you know, the obvious llololol.)

do I feel the urge to go see more of that again? not enough to travel, no, but I saw them live including Iha and JC before. many haven't.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #19
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i know it's basically scraps but since it's 2018 i'll take it. people don't live forever, after all. i didn't go see Soundgarden and now i never will.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
although i am nervous about what this nightly set list will consist of.
Billy said JC being back means they can do 3 hour sets. So I'd say we'll get ALL the hits from all the eras, plus the choice album cuts (most of MCIS and SD), a smaller selection of post 2000 music, and whatever this new song is.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
pavementtune

Quote:
i know it's basically scraps but since it's 2018 i'll take it. people don't live forever, after all. i didn't go see Soundgarden and now i never will.

haha same here. I figured "oh man okay I have never seen Soundgarden, but this tour? humpf. next year maybe." - too late.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Billy said JC being back means they can do 3 hour sets. So I'd say we'll get ALL the hits from all the eras, plus the choice album cuts (most of MCIS and SD), a smaller selection of post 2000 music, and whatever this new song is.
this would honestly be perfect for what the tour is supposed to be. i hope BC doesn't set out to alienate the fans like he has done in the (not so distant) past. the only way to somewhat get back into everyone's good graces is to knock the shows out of the park!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #23
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
haha same here. I figured "oh man okay I have never seen Soundgarden, but this tour? humpf. next year maybe." - too late.
Agreed with that. I've just spend a fortune on Paul Simon tickets as it's his last tour. Plus we're travelling to London to see the Cure, and Pearl Jam in Rome. Seeing lots of gigs at home too that I may not previously have bothered with.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #24
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Did some research on Chicago arena capacities.

United Center - 23,500
Allstate Arena - 18,500
Sears Centre Arena - 11,000
Wintrust Arena - 10,387
UIC Pavilion - 9,500

Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
mpp
Minion of Satan

Quote:
My BIL encouraged me to see Soundgarden. I really didn't wanna go.

They kinda slayed. I was impressed.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #26
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
Did some research on Chicago arena capacities.

United Center - 23,500
Allstate Arena - 18,500
Sears Centre Arena - 11,000
Wintrust Arena - 10,387
UIC Pavilion - 9,500
Those are Foo Fighters level numbers. SP can't pull in that many people, period.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
FoolofaTook

This is not about competition. This is about a product and marketing it.

Pixies are awesome with Paz btw. Also Surfer Rosa > Doolittle.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #28
FoolofaTook

Foo Fighters can eat a bag.

Of dicks.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #29
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Sure they can, but SP still can't pull in the numbers they do.

And also, this is about competing per William's texts. Did you not see what he said?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #30
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
This is not about competition. This is about a product and marketing it.

Pixies are awesome with Paz btw. Also Surfer Rosa > Doolittle.
Agreed re: Surfer Rosa.