Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #121
MarquisInSpades
Banned

You used to go to a therapist. You had a drug addiction, I don't know if you still do. I remember reading about that one issue with your dealer and how you didn't tell your therapist that you did drugs again. She was disappointed, I think(?). There's a lot of stuff, really. You have severe depression too. Pretty sure you attempted suicide a couple of times. Could you be more specific, maybe?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #122
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It felt so good when this guy said he was going back to bed, but I guess it was just another lie.
I tried sleeping, lol. Couldn't.
Also, it's pretty fucking stupid of you to claim that I'm lying about shit without having actual evidence.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #123
MarquisInSpades
Banned

It's really absurd that I've to justify that I read something. Huh.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #124
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
You used to go to a therapist. You had a drug addiction, I don't know if you still do. I remember reading about that one issue with your dealer and how you didn't tell your therapist that you did drugs again. She was disappointed, I think(?). There's a lot of stuff, really. You have severe depression too. Pretty sure you attempted suicide a couple of times. Could you be more specific, maybe?
nah that's mostly correct except i still see a therapist and i never really seriously attempted suicide but had a lot of para-suicidal behaviors and could have accidentally killed myself with drugs abunch of times (like taking 30 tramadols in 12 hours). only time i actually did something in a concerted attempt to kill myself was when i was 14. although i got hospitalized for "attempted suicide" because i told the intake clerk at the hospital i had taken like 10mg of lorazepam or something like that (which wouldn't kill a toddler). one time i woke up and had burnt a bunch of my mattress up somehow, i have no memory of it though and i dont think i was on anything but at this point i dont remember

drug stuff is under control, i had probably the most serious relapse i've had since 2010 this summer but i've been good since then and had no serious consequences (still went to school and work, didnt get caught, etc)

alright imma stop interrogating you. it also doesnt seem like you read any of the good things that have happened to me in the past few years. how dare you

Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #125
MarquisInSpades
Banned

30!? Holy shit. That is crazy, to put it lightly. Glad to know you're better now.

Anyway, thanks.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #126
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

yeah idk how i didnt at least have a seizure but i felt so fucking weird and terrible and i kept like momentarily blacking out and i had this cognition that if i let myself i would not wake up so i went outside and went back and forth down the walkway of the building i was living in (maybe like 500 feet) for several hours, kept going back and forth and back and forth in an attempt not to pass out and die
i also took a bunch of clonazepam to ward off a seizure
fucking nuts

Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #127
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
I tried sleeping, lol. Couldn't.
Also, it's pretty fucking stupid of you to claim that I'm lying about shit without having actual evidence.
Surely the continued posting was evidence enough that you hadn't gone back to sleep.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #128
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sleepposting

Old 12-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #129
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget...8/10/train.jpg

Old 12-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #130
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Surely the continued posting was evidence enough that you hadn't gone back to sleep.
Wasn't talking about me claiming I'm going to sleep.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #131
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Meh.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #132
buzzard
Minion of Satan

When caught making false statements, the honorable thing to do is admit to it.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #133
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Santa is real

Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #134
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

So is Satan.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #135
jczeroman

Quote:
Would it necessarily be against self-interest if, for example, your ISP was owned by a company with financial ties to a Netflix competitor such as Amazon?
Yes.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #136
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Go on.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #137
MarquisInSpades
Banned

MY NET NEUTRALITY IS DEAD!
NET NEUTRALITY, MY BOY! NOOOOOO!

Old 12-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #138
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
So is Satan.
are you ready to swear right here right now before the devil?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #139
jczeroman

Quote:
Go on.
Some people don't like to be charged individually for things. They are willing to pay a higher fixed fee in exchange for less complexity. These people fly Southwest for the no baggage fees. They buy combo meals at fast food places. They hate toll roads. They buy cable/satellite packages. They buy a phone and (often 'unlimited') plan from Verizon and take a simple monthly bill. If an ISP wants those customers (assuming they don't have a rationalized monopoly, which many do), then it is in their self-interest to not charge extra or throttle certain websites/services. It's the same reason why other companies who provide other categories of goods/services offer that sort of pricing model.

Some customers (like me) only want to pay for what we use. We like not subsidizing people who cannot pack economically for flights. We buy food à la carte. We like toll roads (in concept). We use Sling tv. We buy a phone off eBay and use a no contract wireless plan which has limited data based on our usage. If it meant cheaper internet, people like me would happily to give up access to certain high-bandwidth websites and services that we don't use.

One of the pervasive myths put forward by the pro-NN people is that somehow all ISPs would go to a model similar to the second. When, in fact, they have done the opposite because that is what customers typically want (although that may change as it certainly is with tv--imagine if that model were banned?).

Last edited by jczeroman : 12-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #140
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

i am however glad I don't live in the United States.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #141
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Of America I mean, not of some other thingy.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #142
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Some people don't like to be charged individually for things. They are willing to pay a higher fixed fee in exchange for less complexity. These people fly Southwest for the no baggage fees. They buy combo meals at fast food places. They hate toll roads. They buy cable/satellite packages. They buy a phone and (often 'unlimited') plan from Verizon and take a simple monthly bill. If an ISP wants those customers (assuming they don't have a rationalized monopoly, which many do), then it is in their self-interest to not charge extra or throttle certain websites/services. It's the same reason why other companies who provide other categories of goods/services offer that sort of pricing model.

Some customers (like me) only want to pay for what we use. We like not subsidizing people who cannot pack economically for flights. We buy food à la carte. We like toll roads (in concept). We use Sling tv. We buy a phone off eBay and use a no contract wireless plan which has limited data based on our usage. If it meant cheaper internet, people like me would happily to give up access to certain high-bandwidth websites and services that we don't use.

One of the pervasive myths put forward by the pro-NN people is that somehow all ISPs would go to a model similar to the second. When, in fact, they have done the opposite because that is what customers typically want (although that may change as it certainly is with tv--imagine if that model were banned?).
problem is twofold

there's little to no competition between ISPs in quite a few regions

the demand for Internet is basically inelastic at this point, there are too many drawbacks to going without

this makes it prime for price gouging and general fuckery of which the gov began to catch wind of, net neutrality being the response

Old 12-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #143
Elphenor
Braindead

also consider that they could theoretically slow down sites that they simply don't like the content of whether that be news or otherwise

but I guess stuff like that is always ok as long as an arm of the private sector does it

Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #144
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

PAPA TELL ME AGAIN THE TALE OF THE INVISIBLE HAND

Old 12-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #145
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
problem is twofold

there's little to no competition between ISPs in quite a few regions

the demand for Internet is basically inelastic at this point, there are too many drawbacks to going without

this makes it prime for price gouging and general fuckery of which the gov began to catch wind of, net neutrality being the response
Yea, I see both the problems you mention. Both those problems, however, are not caused by "not having NN". The most sensible way to solve them is to ask why they were caused in the first place and what, if any solution, is available to solve them and also not create problems that are worse. NN only claims to treat the symptoms (both real and hypothetical/imagined) of those problems (and others, i.e. your second post). It is, therefore, incumbent upon pro-NN folks to show 1) why NN solves those problems, and 2) how it will do so without causing additional problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
also consider that they could theoretically slow down sites that they simply don't like the content of whether that be news or otherwise

but I guess stuff like that is always ok as long as an arm of the private sector does it
They could and Comcast did. So yes, this is also an issue. I personally don't want any censorship or even throttling at the ISP level from my ISP. I switched from Comcast in part for this reason.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #146
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Date of execution has been set.

As of April 23rd, Net Neutrality is over.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/...y-end-in-april

Old 02-25-2018, 01:54 AM   #147
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
1) why NN solves those problems, and 2) how it will do so without causing additional problems.

They could and Comcast did. So yes, this is also an issue. I personally don't want any censorship or even throttling at the ISP level from my ISP. I switched from Comcast in part for this reason.
it doesn't solve the problems

those problems are the reason you can't leave ISPs to govern themselves

the bolded problems are what NN does address pretty effectively

Old 02-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #148
MarquisInSpades
Banned

AT&T just rolled out 'internet fast lanes'
Y'all are fucked, I just hope it doesn't happen here too

Old 02-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #149
LaBelle
Socialphobic

But think of all the amazing advertising opportunities!!