Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #91
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
It's funny that he should bring up Radiohead, because they've had their share of internet gimmicks. The difference is that no-one gives a fuck about the gimmicks now, because the music has proven to speak for itself.
Although Thom Yorke now has a ponytail.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #92
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKShape View Post
"We're done with that. There is no point. People don't even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest."

"The listening patterns have changed," Corgan laments. "So why are we killing ourselves to do albums, to create balance and do the arty track to set up the single? It's done."

"I still stand by my view that I don't think albums are particularly relevant at this time. That may change. But as far as making music... Nobody I know listen to albums anymore. Nobody. I don't care if they're 20 or 55."

"We’re playing songs off an album that’s been out now for six or seven months, but most people don’t know the songs. People don’t listen to records anymore. Yeah, when Siamese Dream was popular, more of the audience would listen to that, but when we played Machina stuff, 50% of the audience knew the album. Now you play, it’s like 10% of the audience knows it, because people don’t listen to albums anymore. It’s all iPod playlists and stuff."

"I mean, if you were able to poll the audience, I would say that 90% of those people probably have not heard more than two songs off that record, and wouldn’t be interested in more than two songs, and won’t listen to them even if you gave them to ‘em for free. I think that’s what Radiohead’s going to find out really quickly, with, even giving away music…"

"I would have no problem giving away music for free if people would listen to the music. I don’t think anybody ever envisioned that “free” would also equal “not listen” and also “not go to concerts”. That’s the thing that I think is kind of mystifying."

"So you spend a tremendous amount of time making sure the ninth song on your record is just as good as the first song, and in the back of your mind you’re thinking, “But nobody’s going to fucking listen to this.” So we’re over that..."
but... i listen to albums.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #93
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i listened to microcastle just yesterday

Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #94
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

i listen to albums all the time

Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #95
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
It's funny that he should bring up Radiohead, because they've had their share of internet gimmicks. The difference is that no-one gives a fuck about the gimmicks now, because the music has proven to speak for itself.
well they are not reintroducing the album to people because of the gimmicks they're just making an album and promoting it with gimmicks

Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #96
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean i generally listen to stuff on my mpod on random but every so often i'll throw a reckid on nahmean

Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #97
SirenWren
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
"We're done with that. There is no point. People don't even listen to it all. They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest."

"I think that’s what Radiohead’s going to find out really quickly, with, even giving away music…"

Poor Billy is so out of touch. A simple search on youtube of the In Rainbows tunes shows some pretty respectable viewing numbers.

House of Cards - 15,891,606 views
Scotch Mist live In Rainbows show - 6,566,068 views
All I Need - 4,472,531 views
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - 4,294,541 views
Reckoner - 3,222,415 views
15 Step - 2,936,436 views
Videotape - 2,272,811 views
Nude - 1,515,549
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi - 1,175,672 views

Even Gnarles Barkley's cover of Reckoner has more views than all the Teagarden tracks combined. lol

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #98
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

that's not really saying a whole lot since the Teargarden tracks altogether have like 50k views.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #99
Radiofred
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
that's not really saying a whole lot since the Teargarden tracks altogether have like 50k views.
That's his point! Some shite artist doing a Radiohead cover gets more watches/listens than the Pumpkins last output. Maybe Radiohead should cover a Pumpkins song.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #100
slunken
Virgo

i only use my ipod when i'm out of the house

Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #101
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Altimeter Group buzzmeister Brian Solis outlines what he and Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan have to say at their SXSW Interactive presentation on March 12:

We’ll discuss key themes from [Solis's book The End of Business as Usual] as it relates to the music industry. The focus will be on changing the methods that artists use to deliver music by re-inventing new systems that can work hand in hand with the art they created. The goal will be to put the art of music back to the forefront by ignoring the continual need of the music industry to standardized systems to promote and sell music in an era of constant change.

Billy will also discuss how social media and technology will play a part in the release of their new album Oceania and share his vision for reinventing the album experience overall.
Source:
http://hipstersunited.wordpress.com/

Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #102
DaveKShape
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsters United View Post
We’ll discuss key themes from [Solis's book The End of Business as Usual] as it relates to the music industry. The focus will be on changing the methods that artists use to deliver music by re-inventing new systems that can work hand in hand with the art they created. The goal will be to put the art of music back to the forefront by ignoring the continual need of the music industry to standardized systems to promote and sell music in an era of constant change.
This isn't 1999 anymore. Whatever is left of "the music industry" is a shell of its former self and isn't really relevant anymore outside of artists that are more or less walking commercials/publicity machines (a la Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, etc.). Billy still seems to think that major labels are still out there doing what they've done for the past 40 years and have real pull, which is pretty laughable. He can't break out of the line of thinking that made him famous.

He's obsessed with trying to reinvent something that is more or less dead. It's like some guy trying really hard to come up with outside of the box concepts for groundbreaking new car phones. He's trying to convince everyone that there's this new, awesome way to release music, and it's just like, "Well duh."

So instead of just making an album and finding a simple, cool way to release it, he's reaching for some huge, masturbatory, and ultimately confusing way to put it out there. It's not even about the music at this point. It's about some far-fetched crazy thing that he thinks is revolutionary but will ultimately just be kind of unnecessary and may even alienate some of the people who actually still care about his music. I can't wait to hear what he has to say after this (much like the Teargarden project) doesn't really go anywhere.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #103
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Has he played too much with Björk's Biophilia app?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #104
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i kinda feel bad for billy at this point

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #105
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Quote:
It's about some far-fetched crazy thing that he thinks is revolutionary but will ultimately just be kind of unnecessary and may even alienate some of the people who actually still care about his music.
http://resistancepro.com/wp-content/...arry-smith.jpg

Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #106
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Quote:
Altimeter Group buzzmeister Brian Solis outlines what he and Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan have to say at their SXSW Interactive presentation on March 12:

Billy will also discuss how social media and technology will play a part in the release of their new album Oceania and share his vision for reinventing the album experience overall.
What ever happend to that Sony sponsored early social / media networking / mashup site that Machina was tied to? Wasn't that also supposed to revolutionized the way albums were experienced?

Billy is like Microsoft during the vista era... always jumping on the bandwagon of the current trend years too late while their core product goes to shit.

Seriously though... just look at what the guy tweets about day and night... Wrestling, wrestling, wrestling.... then look at someone like Amanda Palmer who day and night eats, breathes, and fucks creativity.

Watching the progress of Billy is now all about "Who will leave next, and what hilarious shit will they have to say about their experiences afterwards" more than what music or art or creativity he is outputting....

Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #107
Kahlo

look what the cat dragged in

Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #108
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiofred View Post
shite artist doing a Radiohead cover
woah woah woah, cee lo and danger mouse are not shite artists you nincompoop

Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #109
Trotskilicious
Banned

JUST CUZ IT'S POP DON'T MEAN IT SUCK

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #110
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Girl 1979 View Post
What ever happend to that Sony sponsored early social / media networking / mashup site that Machina was tied to? Wasn't that also supposed to revolutionized the way albums were experienced?

Billy is like Microsoft during the vista era... always jumping on the bandwagon of the current trend years too late while their core product goes to shit.

Seriously though... just look at what the guy tweets about day and night... Wrestling, wrestling, wrestling.... then look at someone like Amanda Palmer who day and night eats, breathes, and fucks creativity.

Watching the progress of Billy is now all about "Who will leave next, and what hilarious shit will they have to say about their experiences afterwards" more than what music or art or creativity he is outputting....
You're the last person to be dissing anybodys social media. You post 100 times more shit. Crazy shit. On twitter, YouTube, Facebook, google+. It's like a manic stream of consciousness 24/7

You gotta let it go girl. He ain't never using that pedal

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 03-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #111
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post

You gotta let let it, girl.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #112
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Quote:
You're the last person to be dissing anybodys social media. You post 100 times more shit. Crazy shit. On twitter, YouTube, Facebook, google+. It's like a manic stream of consciousness 24/7

You gotta let let it, girl. He ain't never using that pedal

Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #113
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

LoL.

You gotta Let it go girl! Or guy. Or whatever.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #114
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Or. Go on YouTube and throw a fit. Again

Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #115
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Quote:
Or. Go on YouTube and throw a fit. Again
Quote:
LoL.

You gotta Let it go girl! Or guy. Or whatever.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #116
fuzzyroes
Banned

Now now guys... What we should be talking about is how Harry Smith is the first ever Resistance Pro CHAMPION!!! I didn't think he could do it but you gotta give it up to good ole Harry boy, League of champions in the Billy Corgan wrestling league!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #117
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Now now guys... What we should be talking about is how Harry Smith is the first ever Resistance Pro CHAMPION!!! I didn't think he could do it but you gotta give it up to good ole Harry boy, League of champions in the Billy Corgan wrestling league!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #118
Trotskilicious
Banned

off brand muhfuckkaz aren't even on mah level

Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #119
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #120
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Devi Ever, i wore a t shirt with your name on it today. The one with the giant cat all your fuzz are belong to us. Now will you get me my god damn hyperion 2, it's been like six months!