Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Default Learn How To Play Mayonnaise on Guitar

Learn how to play sp on guitar

https://youtu.be/50m1RoqyKRI

Last edited by thedeadofnight : 11-10-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

i dunno, is this necessary given the work that brian (that tab guy) gave us years ago?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I will check out the video later when I am able. I don't know how necessary it is for the overall catalogue, but in this case it might be interesting because Mayo is a notoriously mis-tabbed song. I know there is something strange going on with the tunings, and some tabs even have one guitar changing tuning between the intro and the rest of the song. My own rendition is in standard but with a capo on 1 and it works perfectly, but is not at all how the band actually played it

also, watching someone play the song is a far, far easier way to learn for many people than reading a tab

Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I can't learn from watching people play and call out strings and fret numbers, so I was going to comment that OP should ******* some tabs, but if some people learn better that way, I guess he doesn't have to change the format.

I already know how to play the song (not well, but I know how it goes), and I would assume that anybody who plays the guitar and is enough of a fan of any band to sign up for an online forum devoted to them would know how to play this song, but this could still be helpful to lots of other people out there.

That said, there are few mistakes in this video. Not that it's bad to make mistakes, but if you're teaching other people, editing is your friend. You can edit out the parts that won't be useful to them and try to make it as concise and precise as possible rather than having them watch you feel your way through it.

But otherwise, good stuff, it's a pretty cool thing to do to just try to help others with an instrument online for free.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #5
T&T
Socialphobic

well that guy is playing all wrong.

but this is probably a troll thread, cause it'd be really embarrassing to self post that...

the tab book gets it right

Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
redbreegull

that's not even in the right key though

Old 05-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #7
Ram27
dumb

the intro is wrong

you can see james playing the first couple measures lower down on the neck then moving up, as corresponding with this tab:

Old 05-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I can't learn from watching people play and call out strings and fret numbers, so I was going to comment that OP should ******* some tabs, but if some people learn better that way, I guess he doesn't have to change the format.
I can't learn at all from watching other people play. It's actually really frustrating when playing with other people. Call out strings and fret numbers, ok... but just watching, even if they do it slowly, I can't do it if it's at all complex.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #9
redbreegull

I suspect it can be boiled down to different learning styles. The only problem for me with learning off youtube is the frustration of having to go back in the video over and over to watch what the person is doing, and many people who do youtube guitar tutorials are just really bad teachers who stumble over their words and don't know how to angle the camera so you can see where their fingers are going. But tabs kind of blow my mind for some reason. I am capable of reading them but often I will read them incorrectly 10 times in a row and wonder what I am doing wrong and shit like that

Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #10
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I haven't read a tab in probably five years but I was pretty good at it. I can read sheet music too but have problems converting it to guitar playing in real time. I just never tried hard enough I think. It's so easy to just say fuck it and start playing the shit you want to play and then never go back to it. Now I don't have the passion. I already knew it from playing piano and percussion instruments (xylophone etc) so I even had a big head start.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 AM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

pretty advanced trolling itt

Old 05-30-2016, 02:37 AM   #12
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I suspect it can be boiled down to different learning styles. The only problem for me with learning off youtube is the frustration of having to go back in the video over and over to watch what the person is doing, and many people who do youtube guitar tutorials are just really bad teachers who stumble over their words and don't know how to angle the camera so you can see where their fingers are going. But tabs kind of blow my mind for some reason. I am capable of reading them but often I will read them incorrectly 10 times in a row and wonder what I am doing wrong and shit like that
trying to figure out rhythms in tabs really pisses me off. when it's just chords you can kinda bs the strumming pattern, but when it's notes that have to be played in a specific rhythm, it drives me insane trying to count dashes

Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 AM   #13
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
the intro is wrong

you can see james playing the first couple measures lower down on the neck then moving up, as corresponding with this tab:
I only really looked at maybe the first bar of this tab, but the notes it has are the same notes I play, but just on a different area of the neck because I play this in E♭ tuning. If I remember correctly, OP played the intro pretty much how I play it. Same notes as what you posted, it just "looks" different because the instrument is tuned different. Gotta listen with the ears, not with the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I haven't read a tab in probably five years but I was pretty good at it. I can read sheet music too but have problems converting it to guitar playing in real time. I just never tried hard enough I think. It's so easy to just say fuck it and start playing the shit you want to play and then never go back to it. Now I don't have the passion. I already knew it from playing piano and percussion instruments (xylophone etc) so I even had a big head start.
I can sorta read standard notation, but sometimes I forget what a note is and have to use the "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" mnemonic to figure it out. But I can't sight read quickly enough to just read and play, and rhythm doesn't come naturally, so I probably have to clap it out to figure out how to play it if it's a song I've never heard.

But when it comes to guitar, I don't know the fretboard well enough to translate notes to tabs that efficiently. Plus, I don't really know which octave is which. If I remember correctly, the C on the first fret of the B string is a Middle C? Wait that can't be right because writing guitar parts on treble clef would be extremely cumbersome and inefficient if that were Middle C. You'd need a shitload of ledger lines most of the time. But still, I feel like that's C4.

Reading tab is pretty intuitive for me, but I have a bad habit of reading straight off the screen and not looking at my own fretboard and what my fingers are doing. I find that leads to not really memorizing songs and not being able to play them without looking at some website, and also not fixing mistakes as efficiently because I'm not actually looking at how I'm messing up, if that makes sense.

But I don't really read tab much anymore because I've been kinda bored of learning other people's songs for a while and mostly practice exercises instead these days. Though I really feel like I should get back into learning actual songs, even if I feel kinda lame still playing covers, because it seems to me that learning somebody else's solos teaches a lot of important shit about solos that one can't pick up just running through scales and arpeggios and doing picking and fingering exercises, and also I don't have many "memorized" songs in my repertoire, so if I were ever around a campfire and somebody was passing around a guitar, I'd actually have nothing I'd be able to play pretty much. I was actually just learning "Hummer" today and was surprised at how easy it is for such a great song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
well that guy is playing all wrong.

but this is probably a troll thread, cause it'd be really embarrassing to self post that...

the tab book gets it right
My instincts say to trust you because if I remember correctly, you're a music teacher and know more than pretty much anyone else here, but I just played that intro and, assuming what you posted is in standard tuning, I am fairly confident that those are not the notes being played on the album. The first note, for instance, is a B♭ and not a G. Intervals seem correct, but the key is wrong, I think.

Then again, I could just be tone deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
pretty advanced trolling itt
To be honest I kind of thought OP was trolling because of some of the awkwardness of the video and the "I played this perfectly" comment on it, but then I checked out his other videos and he is certainly not a troll, his videos are just awkward. But I mean I appreciate his effort and he clearly has more passion at guitar than I do if he's teaching all these songs, even though his true passion lies with drums (yeah I watched that entire 20-minute "intro" video on his channel, idk why)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
trying to figure out rhythms in tabs really pisses me off. when it's just chords you can kinda bs the strumming pattern, but when it's notes that have to be played in a specific rhythm, it drives me insane trying to count dashes
>Counting dashes to figure out rhythm

What the fuck are you even doing mate. Tabs don't notate rhythm. The dashes essentially mean nothing beyond "a lot of them means more bars of rest or strumming before you change chords, a few of them means less bars," but each individual dash usually doesn't actually represent a standard unit of time. A lot of tabbers don't even go that far to have more or less dashes for different timings. They most often literally just represent the string.

You just have to listen to the song to get the rhythm. If you want to be able to learn rhythms without having heard the piece, that's what standard notation is for.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:43 AM   #14
thedeadofnight
Ownz

lol

Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #15
thedeadofnight
Ownz

now that i've got you all onside. it is now time to make requests for my next video. how about some recomenddations, i'll pick out the best of them, put them in a raffle and the winner can get a skype tutorial for free?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #16
sweet17
Ownz

I'm really curious why the OP plays the riff so staccato? Why wouldn't you just fret the chord and let the notes ring out a little bit? It's really jarring, and leads to a couple of the mistakes that people are picking on him for -- the muted and missed notes specifically. There's no way Billy, James or (ugh) even Jeff plays the intro like that.

That being said, the Ultimate-Tabs posted above is how I've always played it, with the Eb Bb Bb Gb Bb D tuning. Maybe not perfect, but not only is it very good, it's using similar chord positions and structures that Billy uses throughout his career... so I'd agree that tab is as close to accurate as we're going to get.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #17
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
My instincts say to trust you.... The first note, for instance, is a B♭ and not a G. Intervals seem correct, but the key is wrong, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
that's not even in the right key though
yeah, with a capo on the 4th fret. tuned Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,eb

Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #18
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
now that i've got you all onside. it is now time to make requests for my next video. how about some recomenddations, i'll pick out the best of them, put them in a raffle and the winner can get a skype tutorial for free?
please do "spiteface (tease)".

Old 05-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
>Counting dashes to figure out rhythm

What the fuck are you even doing mate. Tabs don't notate rhythm. The dashes essentially mean nothing beyond "a lot of them means more bars of rest or strumming before you change chords, a few of them means less bars," but each individual dash usually doesn't actually represent a standard unit of time. A lot of tabbers don't even go that far to have more or less dashes for different timings. They most often literally just represent the string.

You just have to listen to the song to get the rhythm. If you want to be able to learn rhythms without having heard the piece, that's what standard notation is for.
true true

I've seen some tabs where they write out counts below the tab, they usually suck

This is basically the ultimate notation to learn parts

Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
panda show
Ownz

when it comes to mayonaise, the base chord progression was written by james on an acoustic, in a weird tuning he came up with (Eb Bb Bb Gb Bb D).. then billy just transposed to standard tuning half-stepd down.. billy's parts sound just slightly different, but it's really only noticable in an acoustic setting.
this is a correct tab of what james plays.