Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
You haven't lived until you been on the 311 cruise

I have and then I jumped overboard

Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #512
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
You haven't lived until you been on the 311 cruise
Sounds like a beautiful disaster.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #513
ilikeplanets
Braindead

now you're just showing off

Old 01-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #514
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
does Fuzzy like D.O.A

he should

Canadian and I think they're lame
Joey Shithead actually used to live like 20 minutes away from me... No idea if he still does. But D.O.A's played in my home city and the city nearby lots of times. Someone whipped a full beer bottle up to the balcony of a club and smoked me in the head at a DOA show... I had to get 8 stitches and now have a permanent half-size golfball lump atop my dome.

But to answer your question, I've never really gotten into them much... Cool to see live, but never really got into their recordings much.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #515
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Empire Records was a stupid, stupid fucking movie.

Wait, what were we talking about?
how dare you

Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #516
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
it doesn't matter, that's not even what I'm saying, you're just dense as shit. the noodling BilCo was doing on Spaniards in 2016 shows an understanding and capability on the guitar that Mascis can never aspire to, and this is comparing him at his best to Corgan's sloppiest. Billy Corgan is a much better guitarist than J Mascis, period.
The Spaniards? You mean that lame single on the solo album? Come on man... You're really reaching now. It's possible that Corgan might be more technically proficient, but Corgan hasn't shown the ability to emote the kind of emotion that J Mascis does on the guitar in 25 years.

Dinosaur Jr fans and Billy Corgan fans can point to all the bootlegs in the world, but the proof really comes down to what is successfully showcased in the recorded work and in that regard, J Mascis has proven to be the better guitarist, hands down.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #517
fuzzyroes
Banned

Corgan with his guitar work is much like Corgan and his singing style... For some reason he's just seemingly lost it...

It just goes to prove how important passion is in music.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #518
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The Spaniards? You mean that lame single on the solo album? Come on man... You're really reaching now. It's possible that Corgan might be more technically proficient, but Corgan hasn't shown the ability to emote the kind of emotion that J Mascis does on the guitar in 25 years.

Dinosaur Jr fans and Billy Corgan fans can point to all the bootlegs in the world, but the proof really comes down to what is successfully showcased in the recorded work and in that regard, J Mascis has proven to be the better guitarist, hands down.
his point was was that when Corgan emotes and really gives it his all, he is better than Mascis. Which is true. Mascis has produced more good material overall, yes, but that's not what is being argued. haven't we already said this? serious deja vu

Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #519
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
how dare you
superb

Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #520
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
the fuck are you talking about

Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #521
Elphenor
Braindead

Soma guitar solo though

Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #522
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
this here is the bust of my first girlfriend!
the exact quote was "i started out with a bang"

Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 PM   #523
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
his point was was that when Corgan emotes and really gives it his all, he is better than Mascis. Which is true. Mascis has produced more good material overall, yes, but that's not what is being argued. haven't we already said this? serious deja vu
And my point is that the last time Corgan has proven he could do this was 25 years ago. Mascis has stayed consistent, Corgan's about as inconsistent as any musician I've ever seen... When's the last time that Corgans proven on record that he can emote awesome work on the guitar? I'm simply not sure he can even do it anymore.

That is precisely my point. We're assuming cause he may have had the upper hand in 1991 that he still does today... Guitar playing is a highly emotional thing... You can't really fake it, and I think that's why Corgan doesn't even try anymore, and when he has, it's been just "alright".

Another missed point is that Smashing Pumpkins productions were these huge multi-million dollar recording behemoths with endless resources and the best producers in the world while Dino JR is the type of group to plug in, rock out for a week or 2 and be done with it... So to argue that Dino JR doesn't have a song like "Tonight Tonight" is missing the point. Of course they don't have a song like that... A song like that takes huge money to make.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #524
redbreegull

shut the fuck up you moron

Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #525
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
the fuck are you talking about
I couldn't care less what happens during a live show... Like really, you expect me to watch some grainy Youtube footage of a 2016 peformance of some Ogi-lala bullshit?

I'm making my argument based on the recorded work. Corgan hasn't done shit with the guitar on his releases since Siamese Dream... The guy has totally lost it...

Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #526
fuzzyroes
Banned

Or he's just some superficial cunt who doesn't think it's "cool" to write complex guitar parts and would rather try and ape Coldplay with songs like "Being Beige" and "Run 2 Me"... Either way, it sucks big time and I respect that Mascis hasn't tried to sell out like that.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #527
redbreegull

Quote:
I'm making my argument based on the recorded work.
a completely arbitrary and meaningless thing to focus in on except that you often make up some weirdly specific parameters to apply to an argument after you have already lost to try and make it seem like you have lost less badly. shut the fuck up.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #528
redbreegull

hey guys taylor hawkens is a better rock drummer than JC. man, just look at the consistency hawkens has displayed over the last 25 years. when was the last time JC played on a truly great song? well yeah you can point to songs like Geek USA and jellybelly but that was so long ago, and he had the help of big studio production to make it sound like that. BTW studio recordings are the only way to judge someone's skill at their instrument, plz ignore that I am literally contradicting myself between two sentences here. JC just can't emote like Taylor THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST of you Hawkens, you can't even argue that. No one emotes emotion like Taylor Hawkens. don't show me some grainy youtube footage of JC playing in 2016, his ability to play drums does not have to do with his ability to play drums. it's all about the studio recordings. the proof is in the pudding. you can't even argue that and scholars agree.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 PM   #529
redbreegull

can't we just get along. we all come here to lighten up and let off some steam. we're all just a bunch of ellen degenerates

Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #530
LaBelle
Socialphobic

what IS this thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #531
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I dunno but it's a shining example of why I don't vote

Old 01-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #532
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
a completely arbitrary and meaningless thing to focus in on except that you often make up some weirdly specific parameters to apply to an argument after you have already lost to try and make it seem like you have lost less badly. shut the fuck up.
idk if you have a very technical guitarist but for whatever reason he makes bad music do we still call him a good guitarist

seems like who is the better guitarist needs a definition for "better" or else it's just personal preference

Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #533
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I dunno but it's a shining example of why I don't vote
Yeah same, giving people immutable support can prove tricky cause at any point they can turn around and change.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #534
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
idk if you have a very technical guitarist but for whatever reason he makes bad music do we still call him a good guitarist

seems like who is the better guitarist needs a definition for "better" or else it's just personal preference
Exactly. And I would concede that Corgan is probably the more technically proficient guitarist, but he's the guy who hasn't played any worthwhile lead guitar in 25 years... Mascis also plays a lot more emotionally whereas it seemed like Corgan was always more concerned with scoring "grunge" points or something... Just look at the solo for Cherub Rock... Yeah it's cool and all, but it's not very emotional. Whereas J Macsis continuously brings the goods.

Just check out the guitar... Listen to the part that kicks in after the 2 minute mark. Was released 10 years ago... That scorching guitar solo is just as good and maybe better than anything Corgans ever done... And it was recorded somewhat recently... We don't have to go back 25 years to find something

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 01-07-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #535
slunken
Virgo

Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 AM   #536
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Exactly. And I would concede that Corgan is probably the more technically proficient guitarist, but he's the guy who hasn't played any worthwhile lead guitar in 25 years... Mascis also plays a lot more emotionally whereas it seemed like Corgan was always more concerned with scoring "grunge" points or something... Just look at the solo for Cherub Rock... Yeah it's cool and all, but it's not very emotional. Whereas J Macsis continuously brings the goods.

Just check out the guitar... Listen to the part that kicks in after the 2 minute mark. Was released 10 years ago... That scorching guitar solo is just as good and maybe better than anything Corgans ever done... And it was recorded somewhat recently... We don't have to go back 25 years to find something
I kinda hate this band

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #537
redbreegull

Fuzzy if you think that is better than anything Billy Corgan has ever done I kind of doubt that you play a very good guitar

Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #538
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

that Dino Dude's vocal performance sounds like somebody took a tape recorder and randomly stuck it right next to the mouth of a senselessly mumbling hobo, then slapped it on top of a guitar jam track

Old 01-08-2018, 01:42 AM   #539
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

besides i really don't see why you guys would continue arguing about rock bands here when we've already established that the epitome of the genre called 'rock music' has been achieved by Third Eye Blind

doot doot doot

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 AM   #540
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Hey elph remember your old favourite band