Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Banana
Banned

Question What are everyones thoughts on Tame Impala?

Started to really get into them last summer and have been listening to them all the time ever since. Both of their albums are great. Really excited about this bands future. I think they have the potential to eventually knock Radiohead out of the top spot for best band in the world presently.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
slunken
Virgo

been meaning to check them out. some musicians i admire were talking about the new album on twitter recently.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
I'm Hardcore
Banned

they're okay

i think they try far too hard to achieve the whole 60's aesthetic though

Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
D.
Consume my pants.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
LalaPumpkinhead
Ownz

they are good ... the songs still miss better hooks and lyrics

Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

i was going to check them out but this banana post makes me hesitate

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i like them and i'm disappointed banana had to make a troll thread about them.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Banana
Banned

Not a troll thread.

They were coming around back in November and I wanted to see them then but regretfully didn't. Thankfully they are coming back around this summer and I got tickets.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Tame Impala's Lonerism actually inspired me to give a listen to Revolver by the Beatles. Great album.

Last edited by Catherine Wheel : 03-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Shallowed
Braindead

I've only heard their first album. It's enjoyable.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

These guys are from my home town, my brother was actually mates with Kevin for a while and he came to a couple parties I put on. Super chill guy, it was kind of weird that he was just this rock nerd who we would get stoned with occasionally and then one day his band was in the fucken NME and then six weeks later they were huge. Their live shows (at least when I saw them, which was prior to their first album) were totally different and really great - this full on psychedelic drone stuff. But I find their albums pretty dull. Their production is shit hot but the songwriting is just a tad bland.

If you can find anything by the Dee Dee Dums - their pre TI band, which was a two-piece garage blues rock thing - THAT is the cash money shit right there. Like the Black Keys but, y'know, not shit.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I like elephant a good bit but I think that's the only thing i really like from them

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Kind of a let down. Not enough sonic variation as the music is implying it should have. Also, something about the muddy mixing and brickwalled mastering bothers me... This was a problem with the first album too--I liked the idea of it, but the band's execution was a let down. It seems intentionally lo fi. "Hey let's make it sound like it was recorded in a basement!" and then they added the Basement Filter plugin in ProTools. Faux-Fi if you know what I mean. It's kinda embarrassing really. Did Dave Friddmann produce this too? He has been really bad lately.

Also, what's with the "It sounds like The Beatles!" thing? Is this really what it takes to sound like The Beatles? Have a melodic song that's a bit trippy sometimes? None of the songs were particularly Beatle-esque. Early Rivers Cuomo had a better grasp on writing a Beatles-type song. Or the folks in Fountains of Wayne. But this album doesn't really come near it.

But there a few good songs strewn in with the mediocrity I'd come to expect from Tame Impala. I also liked the drumsound for the most part. Not sure I'd give this album multiple listens though.

If you were interested in this, maybe try these albums instead, which did the same thing Lame Impala tries but instead these artists succeeded:

Elf Power - When The Red King Comes
Oranger - Quiet Vibration Land
Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage (Animation Music vol 1)
Stardeath & White Dwarf - The Birth