Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Nugent has some pretty fucking badass songs and guitar licks (too bad he's walking garbage)
I will forever love "snakeskin cowboys"

Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #32
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 04-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #33
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
AND Rush
AND The Cure
AND Cheap Trick
AND 1930s pop music
AND Sisters of Mercy
AND Pink Floyd
AND Metallica
AND whatever narrative serves him at that moment

Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
AND Rush
AND The Cure
AND Cheap Trick
AND 1930s pop music
AND Sisters of Mercy
AND Pink Floyd
AND Metallica
AND whatever narrative serves him at that moment
I get what you're saying, and your ultimate point, that Bolly takes an approach to his life's narrative that is domineering, dishonest, and suited to whatever the present moment might be, is definitely correct, but he can definitely be influenced by lots of music, and all at once, even when it isn't apparent to the listener's ear. That's kinda what made the Pumpkins stand out so much back in the day, I think. They were able to synthesize a lot of conflicting, often contradictory sounds, into something coherent that was "the pumpkins." SP would be better today if he let more influences come into the music and stop his tepid monomaniacal bullshit. Like SP2-onward kind of sounds like a band that was inspired by SP1 which is fucking stupid.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #35
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
I get what you're saying, and your ultimate point, that Bolly takes an approach to his life's narrative that is domineering, dishonest, and suited to whatever the present moment might be, is definitely correct, but he can definitely be influenced by lots of music, and all at once, even when it isn't apparent to the listener's ear. That's kinda what made the Pumpkins stand out so much back in the day, I think. They were able to synthesize a lot of conflicting, often contradictory sounds, into something coherent that was "the pumpkins." SP would be better today if he let more influences come into the music and stop his tepid monomaniacal bullshit. Like SP2-onward kind of sounds like a band that was inspired by SP1 which is fucking stupid.
Yes, this is a lot of what I am saying, but I am also rejecting Belly's tendency sometimes to align all of his output with a certain big name. But, come on, very little of SP1 sounds like Link Wray.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #36
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Yeah you're right. Almost like he thinks it makes him stand out to align with certain people.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #37
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Thanks fuzzy.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #38
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Today's music has all a link to Wray...

Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
selection7
Demi-God

It's interesting for me to hear all these other bands as references to that part of Window Paine. Ever since I heard Window Paine, it always only made me think of a Jimmi Hendrix song. I'm not a big enough fan to remember the title right now, but it's early Hendrix and not obscure.

Clearly, the poster who basically called it a rock cliche was on target since there's all these similar examples. It's dramatic and vaguely military sounding with the snare stuff.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #40
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by selection7 View Post
It's interesting for me to hear all these other bands as references to that part of Window Paine. Ever since I heard Window Paine, it always only made me think of a Jimmi Hendrix song. I'm not a big enough fan to remember the title right now, but it's early Hendrix and not obscure.

Clearly, the poster who basically called it a rock cliche was on target since there's all these similar examples. It's dramatic and vaguely military sounding with the snare stuff.
It's Link Wray. His Baldness confirmed it.

Early Hendrix is at least 10 years newer than the LW song.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 AM   #41
selection7
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
It's Link Wray. His Baldness confirmed it.

Early Hendrix is at least 10 years newer than the LW song.
You might be misunderstanding. I'm not talking about who did it first, but rather who was the first band I personally heard do it. I'd never even heard the song Rumble 25 years ago when I first heard Window Paine. It's possible I'm actually thinking of Led Zeppelin, who are yet another band that do that (in the middle of How Many More Times), but I still think there's a Hendrix song that does it too.