Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #1591
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
well that is definitely different here. SP was 'big' here but mainly among alternative rock fans. I don't think they had an actual hit apart from 1979 and generally speaking, I don't think many people would remember any song apart from that or TT.
It was the same here. People saying otherwise weren't even born or were in diapers when MCIS came out.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #1592
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
well that is definitely different here. SP was 'big' here but mainly among alternative rock fans. I don't think they had an actual hit apart from 1979 and generally speaking, I don't think many people would remember any song apart from that or TT.
They always play pumpkins on the radio here in Ireland, and they actually play Bullet and Today more often then those 2. They also play them + Disarm and Cherub Rock, and less often Ava Adore, and SIYL but very rarely.

The only Radiohead songs I hear on the radio here are Creep and High & Dry. No Surprise, Karma Police, Street Spirit and Paranoid Android very rarely. I don't think I've ever heard them playing Fake Plastic Trees...

Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #1593
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_bland View Post
Very select group of people.

Headlines Glastonbury (3 times now?)
Album releases are worldwide events.
Sell out multiple arena shows in seconds
Lead singer dj'ing sells out large venues in minutes
Respected in the media
Well, it can be a large "select group of people". Select doesn't mean small. It just means that if you are not in that select group, you don't follow the music. It doesn't accidentally get forced down your throat because you simply broadly follow rock music.

The biggest example of this is The Grateful Dead.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #1594
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
They always play pumpkins on the radio here in Ireland, and they actually play Bullet and Today more often then those 2. They also play them + Disarm and less often Ava Adore and SIYL very rarely.

The only Radiohead songs I hear on the radio here are Creep and High & Dry. No Surprise, Karma Police, Street Spirit and Paranoid Android very rarely. I don't think I've ever heard them playing Fake Plastic Trees...
Fake Plastic Trees is actually my favorite song by them. That and Everything in its Right Place.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #1595
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It was the same here. People saying otherwise weren't even born or were in diapers when MCIS came out.
Pumpkins didn't seem to be a very big band over here (UK). I remember meeting someone else who liked them you'd be all "oh you like them too lets be best friends!!" meanwhile everyone liked metallica or oasis or whatever. The videos DVD was my first time seeing nearly all of the videos because you'd never see them on TV.

I know a few people who will quietly admit to buying SD or MCIS but it's a sort of embarrassing thing like admitting you bought a Limp Bizkit record.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #1596
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

UK bands get a pass with the press that few American bands do unless you're from NYC. Thom Yorke's voice is no less whiny or polarizing than those who say the same about Billy's voice. Radiohead still never released an album as good as Siamese Dream either. OK Computer is close, but still comes off like a 90's alternative retread of Dark Side of the Moon.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #1597
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
UK bands get a pass with the press that few American bands do unless you're from NYC.
Manic Street Preachers never cracked the US unfortunately

Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #1598
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
UK bands get a pass with the press that few American bands do unless you're from NYC. Thom Yorke's voice is no less whiny or polarizing than those who say the same about Billy's voice. Radiohead still never released an album as good as Siamese Dream either. OK Computer is close, but still comes off like a 90's alternative retread of Dark Side of the Moon.

People like Radiohead because they're good.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #1599
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Jimmy Chamberlain plays the hits of the Smashing Pumpkins w/ the guy from Radiohead on lead vocals would sell better than Shiny & Oh So Bright.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #1600
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Karma Police, arrest this man?

No! Arrest this “band!” Radiohead! For being boring!

Chuckle chuckle

Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #1601
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Thom Yorke more like Thom Yuck

Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #1602
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

OK Computer is an album about the cheapest Dell desktop you can buy

Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #1603
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
OK Computer is miles ahead of Siamese Dream in artistry and I actually love Siamese Dream. If OK Computer is a 90s retread of Dark Side Of The Moon, Siamese Dream is the '93 retread of '91's Nevermind. We all know Billy was hard up to be Kurt Cobain. But folks overexaggerate Billy's success.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #1604
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

-

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #1605
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Who’s the bigger asshole, Billy Corgan or Thom Yorke cheating on his wife dying of cancer?
Billy Corgan, he wanted to be Kurt Cobain so bad he went and fucked his wife Courtney Love.

Perhaps if Billy just killed himself he would have had a greater legacy than committing career suicide. It would have been very Kurt of him.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #1606
thomas_bland
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Well, it can be a large "select group of people". Select doesn't mean small. It just means that if you are not in that select group, you don't follow the music. It doesn't accidentally get forced down your throat because you simply broadly follow rock music.

The biggest example of this is The Grateful Dead.
No. You are talking shite. You don't get to Do all those things without cross appeal or cross generational appeal.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #1607
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

I would, most days, probably put Radiohead's "Videotape" alone above just about the entire Pumpkins catalogue, but I think we can all agree that the determining factor here is brute strength

And Billy could, despite his pudge, very easily piledrive Thom through a card table

Jimmy could fold up Phil into a meatcube, there's no contest there

I don't know how a Colin/D'arcy matchup (I'm assuming original lineup here) would go down, but I feel like D'arcy would fight like a cornered animal and probably have a shiv up her sleeve

James versus Jonny? They'd weakly slap at each other; call it a draw

THE WINNER: THE SMASHINNNNNNNNNG…PUMPKINS

Now everybody shut up

Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #1608
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
OK Computer is miles ahead of Siamese Dream in artistry and I actually love Siamese Dream. If OK Computer is a 90s retread of Dark Side Of The Moon, Siamese Dream is the '93 retread of '91's Nevermind. We all know Billy was hard up to be Kurt Cobain. But folks overexaggerate Billy's success.
Nah

Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #1609
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Nah
settle down edgelord

the only people who would agree with you are the remaining used tampons who still post here

Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #1610
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
I am not going to knock on Radiohead as they obviously are successful. It's not my cup of tea and that's ok.

It just doesn't make sense to compare them to SP in any way. It's not the same type of music. Radiohead is a novelty band. They make songs for a very select group of people. And either you love them or you don't even know much about them. They are not mainstream in anyway. The only similarity they have to SP is that they both came up in the 90s.

If we want to talk about a similar band that blows SP out of the water as far as popularity goes, it starts and ends with Pearl Jam. They have more hits than SP. They sell more tickets than any rock act that originated in the 90s. Everyone knows their music.
1. In terms of the number of fans, Radiohead has a lot more. The music might be too "different" for you, but it's definitely not some tiny niche segment of society that likes them. They easily fill venues the Pumpkins would struggle to fill, even in the US (though in the 90s it was probably the reverse).

2. I would name Soundgarden as a contemporary band with similar popularity and recognition. SP was bigger at the time but in terms of the kind of legacy the bands left on the general public, they are comparable. Pearl Jam is way more popular than either I think.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #1611
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I would maybe through Karma Police in there as an on occasion song you might hear. Kinda about as often as a Ava Adore of The Everlasting Gaze.
This is absurd. Karma Police is still a radio mainstay. I never hear Ava Adore or TEG anymore.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #1612
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I don't remember meeting a single person during the 90's who considered TSP a joke band. They had their fair share of detractors as sellouts or an example of style over substance, sure, but they weren't the butt of years on years of "worst band ever" running jokes or gags like Nickelback. Sentiment like that was more directed to the likes of Silverchair. Spin Doctors. Hootie And The Blowfish.
They definitely weren't taken very seriously in a lot of circles. They were often dismissed as followers and phonies. MCIS helped squash that a bit. But they were never a "cool" band.

Who was it that famously anointed them as the grunge Monkees? lol

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #1613
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I would, most days, probably put Radiohead's "Videotape" alone above just about the entire Pumpkins catalogue, but I think we can all agree that the determining factor here is brute strength

And Billy could, despite his pudge, very easily piledrive Thom through a card table

I don't know how a Colin/D'arcy matchup (I'm assuming original lineup here) would go down, but I feel like D'arcy would fight like a cornered animal and probably have a shiv up her sleeve

Now everybody shut up
what about ed

Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #1614
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I am not going to knock on Radiohead as they obviously are successful. It's not my cup of tea and that's ok.

It just doesn't make sense to compare them to SP in any way. It's not the same type of music. Radiohead is a novelty band. They make songs for a very select group of people. And either you love them or you don't even know much about them. They are not mainstream in anyway. The only similarity they have to SP is that they both came up in the 90s.

If we want to talk about a similar band that blows SP out of the water as far as popularity goes, it starts and ends with Pearl Jam. They have more hits than SP. They sell more tickets than any rock act that originated in the 90s. Everyone knows their music.
I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, but this is absurd. "Novelty band". They were as much as an alt-rock mainstay in the 90's as The Smashing Pumpkins were. Only difference is that Radiohead evolved and changed once the alt-rock craze died down and Billy kept on chasing the ghost.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #1615
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Johnny Greenwood's guitar chops : James Iha's guitar chops

=

Claude Monet : a kindergartner with a crayon

Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #1616
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, but this is absurd. "Novelty band". They were as much as an alt-rock mainstay in the 90's as The Smashing Pumpkins were. Only difference is that Radiohead evolved and changed once the alt-rock craze died down and Billy kept on chasing the ghost.
There is nothing wrong with being a novelty. When I go to the ice cream section of the grocery store, I always check out the novelties first.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #1617
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yeah it's not like I was actually at a MCIS show, and it's not like it was completely sold out, and it's not like the crowd was going completely insane with adoration for the band far more than any of the times I've seen Radiohead.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #1618
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Billy Corgan, he wanted to be Kurt Cobain so bad he went and fucked his wife Courtney Love.

Perhaps if Billy just killed himself he would have had a greater legacy than committing career suicide. It would have been very Kurt of him.
Billy Corgan was dating Courtney Love before she even knew who Kurt Cobain was. Get your facts straight.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #1619
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Now everybody shut up
Colin is a complete sissy. D'arcy could beat his ass, no doubt. Jonny might have one of those autistic aspergers fits of his and overcome James. James wouldn't care enough to be involved in a fight in the first place though. As for Ed, he literally never does anything besides strum muted guitar strings through a delay pedal.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #1620
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

This might be the dumbest discussion on here ever.