Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #271
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

He's just talking to himself. Nothing to see really

Old 04-07-2018, 02:18 AM   #273
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Pumpkins nostalgia again... #neversaynevertod'arcywretzky!

williampcorgan
It's Video Flashback Friday! 'I Am One' is the tune, with a video we rejected at the time simply because the record company commissioned it to take advantage of the grrunge explosion. Not sure when or why the footage was shot (obviously at the Metro/Chicago) but the result was essentially buried until 2000.
#smashingpumpkins @smashingpumpkins @chamberdrums @jamesihaofficial @jjjschroeder @jackbass89 #neversayneverrr

Old 04-07-2018, 02:29 AM   #274
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Jimmy pointing out Billy playing the bass. Grumpy old men getting soured about the poor ticket sales...

chamberdrums
More grooves and riffs for your weekend. I’m often asked about this snare sound. The snare drum was a steel shell Yamaha recording series 5.5 x14 still one of my favs! Btw that’s our own @williampcorgan on the bass. @yamahadrumsofficial

Old 04-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #275
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Btw that’s our own @williampcorgan on the bass
I love Jimmy, but he's swallowed Bill's Kool Aid.

No one gives a flying fuck that Billy played bass on their favorite songs instead of D'arcy.

Fuck these clowns. If they didn't want people being this attached to her, maybe they shouldn't have exploited her for over a decade.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #276
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Darcy > TSP

Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #277
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

If they're upset about ticket sales, what did they expect when they booked what was marketed as a reunion tour entirely built on nostalgia and don't have a key member of the band who had been teased to be part of it for two years, and publicly stated she wanted to be the bassist for the tour? It totally fucked up the positive momentum Billy had built up for the reunion and himself over the last year or two, and the idea of the reunion being about peace between the original lineup. Hell even this place which has constantly shit on Billy for years at an over the top level had been warming up to him in the last year or two.

The entire story would be different right now, like that New York Times article would have been a picture of the original four and the narrative would have been about them finally getting it right after all this time. I'm surprised Live Nation didn't see this coming and demand that Corgan make D'arcy the bassist for the tour. Instead most of the media and many fans see it as a blatant cash grab.

As much as Billy shit on Soundgarden's reunion, if they'd booked a couple of club gigs and one major festival performance like Soundgarden did in 2010, it could have been a great way to test the waters and see if a full tour would work with the original lineup. Then if it didn't work well they could have just carried on with this current lineup, and had closure for the original lineup. They really fucked this up.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #278
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I can see Live Nation getting fed up with Billy's promises if sales tank. Tough shit for his ego if they need to increase D'arcy's offer just to get her on stage.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #279
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Didn't Corgan announce to do a first video to one of the new songs...?
This might be the next attempt to boost the ticket sales.
Strawberry videos forever!

Everything until now done for the tour was terrible.
They already closed the European Smashing Pumpkins shop after a few days.
No wonder at these cheaply designed lyric t-shirts.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #280
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Ticket sales are actually doing a lot better recently.

Also why the fuck do y’all think D’Arcy could play bass on this tour?

She looks like she was trampled by a horse

Old 04-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #281
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

lol ninsp

Where should the ticket sales be "a lot better".

D'arcy doesn't have to play bass with her lips.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #282
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

D'arcy's face has no bearing on her ability to perform. She really badly wanted to do it, I think that's what has crushed her so much and has led her to attack Billy to the extent she has.

I'm a big time Billy apologist/fan too, so this whole thing is very disappointing to me. I thought this would be his moment where he and the Pumpkins could finally be celebrated for their accomplishments after all the the media potshots over the years.

Bizarrely enough I actually had a dream last night that I got in contact with Jimmy and somehow set up a conversation with Billy and D'arcy. If I were Live Nation I'd desperately be trying to get her back in, but I don't see Billy ever going for it.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #283
fuzzyroes
Banned

Funny you say that, because I was thinking about this last night..>

****IMAGINE THIS*****

Everyone is at the first show in Arizona... The media attention has died down, it's mediocre at best. 90's nostalgia fans are still trecking out but the tour isn't doing as good as most people would've predicted....

The show starts....

The lights go out. Fans applaud. The spotlight rises and out walks Billy, Jimmy, James and Jeff... Followed by D'arcy! She walks up with her bass and they all start ripping into the set and rocks out a great night for the fans.

THE INTERNET WOULD BE ABLAZE WITH HYPE THE NEXT DAY.

Then they could casually announce, "oh yeah, we worked things out, as you all saw, D'arcy is back."

You'd ticket sales go through the roof overnight. It would be a legendary marketing play.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #284
T&T
Socialphobic

Live Nation probably signed off on 75% of the original lineup. They know what they're doing, they own most of the venues. maybe billy's gonna lose his shirt.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #285
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Funny you say that, because I was thinking about this last night..>

****IMAGINE THIS*****

Everyone is at the first show in Arizona... The media attention has died down, it's mediocre at best. 90's nostalgia fans are still trecking out but the tour isn't doing as good as most people would've predicted....

The show starts....

The lights go out. Fans applaud. The spotlight rises and out walks Billy, Jimmy, James and Jeff... Followed by D'arcy! She walks up with her bass and they all start ripping into the set and rocks out a great night for the fans.

THE INTERNET WOULD BE ABLAZE WITH HYPE THE NEXT DAY.

Then they could casually announce, "oh yeah, we worked things out, as you all saw, D'arcy is back."

You'd ticket sales go through the roof overnight. It would be a legendary marketing play.
It would be genius, but it will never happen. Billy feels he's been betrayed by D'arcy and I doubt anybody in his inner circle will tell him to reach out to her. She's probably dead to him. It's sad because as pissed as D'arcy is like I've said, she would take a call from him.

I can understand why Billy would be furious/hurt about the texts being leaked and the comments she made in the interview, but he also has to realize how hurt she was when the rug was pulled out from under her about being the bassist (and the way it was done), and that it opened up old wounds. He also should realize that he talked shit for years about James, D'arcy, and even Jimmy during a period and he NEVER once received a receipt from any of them. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but if you're going to dish it, you better be ready to take it.

It's not good for either of them to hold onto these bad feelings for the rest of their lives. I've talked to D'arcy quite a bit, and I wish for her on a personal level they could work it out and she could get closure.

Also I recall D'arcy saying in our interview that Billy told her Live Nation had agreed to the 3/4 tour. I'm sure they're having regrets when it comes to that now, if they'd told him no D'arcy no dice he would have been forced to work out whatever unresolved issues he had with her. Not that the tour is tanking, but it would be doing a lot better if she was there. I actually didn't think it would have as big of an effect at first, but D'arcy's absence and the ugly way the falling out happened has shaped media coverage and public opinion in a major way.

Billy also has not had any real explanation at all for why he excluded her, just the vague press release, the bridge is burned NYT comments, and the stupid Instagram comments about who played bass/who will play bass. I really thought he'd come out with something that would at least make it at least somewhat understandable from his POV, but the little that has been said just further back up her claims.

At the very least Live Nation should try to make her a very lucrative offer to be a guest at several shows. While the guest offer pissed off D'arcy as seen from the interview and texts, what really teed her off was that Billy wouldn't even give specifics including a money offer for a guest spot. If I were Live Nation I'd try to order Corgan to meet in person with D'arcy and a third party/band therapist type, and if things could be worked out at the very least give her a huge money offer to be a guest. But again, I don't think Billy would agree to this unfortunately, and it's to his own detriment. The tour would sell a lot more tickets, and it'd vastly improve public opinion of him.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #286
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
lol ninsp

What makes you think D’Arcy can still play bass?

Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 AM   #287
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
lol ninsp

SP probably will sell 50-66% of these shows which other than Pearl Jam, NIN or Radiohead, no 90s band would be able to do.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #288
pinetree
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
SP probably will sell 50-66% of these shows which other than Pearl Jam, NIN or Radiohead, no 90s band would be able to do.
foo fighters
green day
rhcp

among others

Old 04-08-2018, 04:07 AM   #289
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
What makes you think D’Arcy can still play bass?
What makes you such an arrogant prick to think she couldn't play bass anymore.

Her friend also said two years ago, she was playing the Smashing Pumpkins songs again.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 AM   #290
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Probably...?
And what means 50-66% to you? Selling them out? Selling just half of the tickets would be more realistic.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #291
T&T
Socialphobic

does anyone else find it weird how billy calls AJ "mr. Choo Choo"? I'm get the feeling he actually calls his kid this, gonna give him a conductor complex at a young age.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #292
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
foo fighters
green day
rhcp

among others
Foos didn’t necessarily hit it big until after Colour and Shape came out, late 90s, by that time the Pumpkins were, mostly, done.

Green Day definitely wouldn’t sell as much tickets any more as SP is on this tour.

RHCP probably would, but they’re an 80s band.

Soundgarden was about as big as the Pumpkins were and opening for NIN, no way they could’ve sold a good half-to-three/fourths of seats in a huge arena during their comeback and that was an actual reunion.

I’m talking about bands from that initial 89/early 90s wave.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #293
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
What makes you such an arrogant prick to think she couldn't play bass anymore.

Her friend also said two years ago, she was playing the Smashing Pumpkins songs again.
Just because you fapped to d’arcy as a kid doesn’t mean she’s able to play her elementary school basslines anymore

Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #294
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Green Day definitely wouldn’t sell as much tickets any more as SP is on this tour.
I don't like Green Day particularly but they could outsell SP any day of the week, any venue, anywhere in the world. Their latest release sold 700.000 copies in the US alone according to Wiki.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #295
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

I think the D'arcy thing is a huge fire the band is trying to put out. Jimmy posted the I Am One vid on his instagram and went out of his way to note that Billy is playing bass on it. Yes, we knew that. But it has nothing to do with why we want D'arcy there.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #296
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Foos didn’t necessarily hit it big until after Colour and Shape came out, late 90s, by that time the Pumpkins were, mostly, done.

RHCP probably would, but they’re an 80s band.

Soundgarden was about as big as the Pumpkins were and opening for NIN, no way they could’ve sold a good half-to-three/fourths of seats in a huge arena during their comeback and that was an actual reunion.

I’m talking about bands from that initial 89/early 90s wave.
Damn, you are out of touch. Foo Fighters were big from the first album, Green Day is still huge and sells out every show, RHCP had their biggest success in the 90's by far and has a rabid fanbase and sells out every show. NIN still hasn't put out a good album since 1994, btw.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #297
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Damn, you are out of touch. Foo Fighters were big from the first album, Green Day is still huge and sells out every show, RHCP had their biggest success in the 90's by far and has a rabid fanbase and sells out every show. NIN still hasn't put out a good album since 1994, btw.
1.) Foo’s first album went platinum but Colour doubled that.
2.) Green Day sold out three US shows on their last tour (in major markets) which is pretty similar to SP’s tracking numbers.
3.) The Peppers do sell out most shows but they are an 80s band with enormous staying power, Pumpkins have one good album. 80s had Mother’s Milk, 90s had Blood and Californication, 00s had By the Way and Stadium, etc
4.) All of NIN’s albums have been well received critically and commercially, and they sell out most shows they play across the world. With Teeth was huge (2005) and well regarded, as was The Slip and the new EPs, that’s why NIN is still huge. Just because you lost your virginity to Reptile doesn’t mean new NIN sucks, but maybe if you’re just retarded.

So what exactly is your point? The Pumpkins are on pace considering where the band is at to their peers.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #298
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Shit Hesitation Marks was nominated for a Grammy. Grammys suck but shows how they’re another league commercially to the fucking Pumpkins

Old 04-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #299
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

this is kind of what I meant with new standards in retardedness, Sonic Johnny.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #300
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
this is kind of what I meant with new standards in retardedness, Sonic Johnny.
We’re all retarded

We’re posting on Netphoria on 2018