Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry Your 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are…

Whitney Houston, Notorious BIG, Depeche Mode, T Rex, Nine Inch Nails and the Doobie Brothers

Can't believe they voted in perhaps the greatest pop singer of all time and not the Rat in a Cage kids

The uncontested king of…rap??? You believe this? What happened to my rock? And roll?

And if you don't know, now you know

Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

T. Rex > those other ppl

Old 01-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs up

BORIS will NEVER get into the Hall of Lame! Fuck yeah!

Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

FIST FUCK

Old 01-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Depeche Mode and NIN are great pix. T Rex has two great albums (one amazing) but that’s about it.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
FoolofaTook

hey turalyon have you heard this? boris mini album from 2011. really poppy, really good. its called 1985.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Whitney Houston is the best.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Almost posted a Whitney song in the pop music thread. Perhaps I still will.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:31 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Cool to see Depeche Mode get in. It's about time!

Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 AM   #10
Skradgee
Boardcaster

More like: Pop and Bull Hall of...Tame.

Yeah! Pffftthhbbbb.

That NIN though.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #11
FoolofaTook

RnRoll HoF is an exclusive club/fraternity of musicians. It's pretty cool to be part of it, I'm sure, and gives its members an excuse to get together and party once a year. In 2020, though, it's not really much of an honor. That ship has sailed, based on how the organization has evolved over time. I'm ultimately okay with it.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #12
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

Mods, please ban enthusaroo for not reading the GODDAMN forum first

Old 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

My insider at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame told me that they were just about to induct Smashing Pumpkins, but realized Monuments to an Elegy was a three-star record.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Trent Reznor was talking trash about the Hall in recent years then in 2019 he turned up to induct The Cure and changed his tune to 'oh the Hall is such an honor, I wanna eat caviar off of Steven Tyler's butt cheeks' etc. Then in no time at all, he's inducted. Coincidence? I think not.

So here's the plan: Notorious B.I.G is gonna need someone to induct him (or, to be more accurate, his corpse). Step forward the bald lord:

"Big E and I were the top scribes of the nineties-everyone else, a distant third. I can't tell you how many times I'd be cruising in my pinto with my homies D'arcy Dogg, Jimmy C. and The Asian Ho-Hopper---you know, down by the ghetto in Chica....er Compton, listening to some of his killa-ass grooves like Big Booty Hoes, Niggas Bleed, Party & Bullshit and my own personal favorite; his classic duet with Faith Evans, I'll Be Missing You.

Notorious, if you're up there, you were my inspiration; far better than Tupac, Snoopy Dogg, and Vanilla Ice Cubes! Well done big guy!

So that's it from me, maybe I'll see you guys next year hehe?...PLEASE INDUCT ME!!!! YOU INDUCTED NINE INCH NAILS FOR FUCK'S SAKE! WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!? GROVEL!? I'll GROVEL!!!! BARK LIKE A DOG!!? I CAN BARK-RUFF RUFF RUFF! ANY DOG! AN ALSATIAN!? RUFF RUFF RUFF!'"

Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #15
FoolofaTook

Unhappy

Why are you so angry?

Old 01-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #16
Kahlo
Jane Austen ate my baby

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
Trent Reznor was talking trash about the Hall in recent years then in 2019 he turned up to induct The Cure and changed his tune to 'oh the Hall is such an honor, I wanna eat caviar off of Steven Tyler's butt cheeks' etc. Then in no time at all, he's inducted. Coincidence? I think not.

So here's the plan: Notorious B.I.G is gonna need someone to induct him (or, to be more accurate, his corpse). Step forward the bald lord:

"Big E and I were the top scribes of the nineties-everyone else, a distant third. I can't tell you how many times I'd be cruising in my pinto with my homies D'arcy Dogg, Jimmy C. and The Asian Ho-Hopper---you know, down by the ghetto in Chica....er Compton, listening to some of his killa-ass grooves like Big Booty Hoes, Niggas Bleed, Party & Bullshit and my own personal favorite; his classic duet with Faith Evans, I'll Be Missing You.

Notorious, if you're up there, you were my inspiration; far better than Tupac, Snoopy Dogg, and Vanilla Ice Cubes! Well done big guy!

So that's it from me, maybe I'll see you guys next year hehe?...PLEASE INDUCT ME!!!! YOU INDUCTED NINE INCH NAILS FOR FUCK'S SAKE! WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO!? GROVEL!? I'll GROVEL!!!! BARK LIKE A DOG!!? I CAN BARK-RUFF RUFF RUFF! ANY DOG! AN ALSATIAN!? RUFF RUFF RUFF!'"
LIFETIME BAN.

Signed, Kahlo

Old 01-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #17
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Corgan drove here today in his white Cadillac Escalade.

SP deserves to be in the rock hall for 91-96 alone.

Yet because of everything that has happened since then I sincerely hope they never even come close.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

New Hall of Fame trend by Reznor:
https://www.stereogum.com/2070028/ni...nductees/news/

"Speaking to Stereogum in 2018, band mastermind Trent Reznor said, “Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, who knows what that is. I don’t give a shit.” But his views have evolved. Last year, Reznor showed up to induct his friends in the Cure. And earlier this year, Reznor said, “It doesn’t feel as bullshit as I kind of snarkily dismissed it as. I don’t have any problem admitting I’ve changed my opinion about something.” This morning, Reznor, whose wife just had a baby over the weekend, talked to Rolling Stone and said this:

I’m pretty freaked out. I’m quite in shock. When I look back at how Nine Inch Nails are received, it always seems like we fall between the cracks. I don’t know if it’s a defense mechanism, but I just assumed we’d stay in that category, so I’m pleasantly surprised to see us acknowledged. It feels pretty good… I’m allowing myself, for a limited period of time, to feel good about this."

Old 01-18-2020, 03:20 AM   #19
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

Arrow

The best thing this year is that the induction now will be LIVE on TV.
Uncensored speeches and fights between old band members...

Incoming Rock & Roll Hall of Fame chairman John Sykes said the 2020 induction ceremony will be broadcast live on HBO as he seeks to establish the “2.0” version of the organization.

Former MTV and VH1 senior executive Sykes was announced as the Rock Hall’s new leader last week. He’ll take over from co-founder Jann Wenner on Jan. 1 with the aim of expanding the Hall’s reach to match a “spirit that connects with young people.”

“I want to expose as many people as possible to all the incredible music that surrounds us,” he told the LA Times in a new interview. “My mantra for my entire career has been, ‘If you want to win, follow the artists,’ because they are the blood that flows through the veins of all our business. We will be celebrating those artists, whether fans go to the physical building in Cleveland or see what we’re doing on Instagram or YouTube, we want to be everywhere.”

He added: “We have new board members. The induction ceremony will be live next year instead of taped. We’re also looking to do a lot more in California, because it is a cornerstone of the music business. The best time to reinvent is when you’re on top of the game. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is setting new attendance records, it has gained recognition as a true cultural institution. I think now is our chance.”

Sykes argued that the introduction of the Rock Hall fan vote in recent years, along with changing the membership of the nominating committee, had been an indicator that modernisation was on the cards. “Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine came in one time and stood up and said, ‘Heavy metal is a category of music of the people. Why aren’t bands like Kiss and Rush in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?’ He was very persuasive. …We have to reflect what fans truly love.”

He accepted there would always be controversy around the nominated artists every year, saying: “It’s a healthy tension. It keeps the committee on point. There are people who argue both sides to this day. It’s a healthy debate – sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you don’t.”

Old 01-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
fuzzyroes
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
SP deserves to be in the rock hall for 91-96 alone.

Yet because of everything that has happened since then I sincerely hope they never even come close.
They weren't really influential enough to get in on the strength of a 5 year run, that's the problem. They'll get in 10-15 years from now, just like the Cars and those groups

Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #21
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

If I were in charge of the committee I would have twenty female-only proposed candidates for each of the next three years; ten of whom would be inducted each year; five inductees who could perform live at the ceremony, and five posthumous inductions. It would go some way to giving females the respect they deserve in the music industry. Carole King would be given a free pass.

Like only 8% of the inducted artists are female; that's disgraceful sexism which boils my blood. Or at least it would boil my blood if I wasn't a sexist accused several times of 'inappropriate fondling and misuse of a banana' on the Metoo twitter page.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

When the Pumpkins became eligible for Rock Hall nomination, Billy told Rolling Stone:

"I get asked about that a lot. If it's a meritocracy, I think my band belongs in there because we were one of the prime bands of our era and we continue to be a top band.

Next year will be, technically, our 30th year. So the fact that I've been in this band, you know, essentially 25 of the last 30 years, I think that says something.

Whole genres of music get overlooked and people don't get put in because somebody's mad at somebody from 30 years ago.

I'm only speaking as a fan, but it's hard to trust the institution as a meritocracy when you have people in there who weren't very influential, didn't sell a lot of records but because somebody somewhere was a fan, they're in.

And then you have other people who were hugely influential and they go, 'Well, you know..."

NIN sold 10 million records less than the Pumpkins: