Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down Tips on studying foreign languages??

I'm taking a Spanish class. I need two intermediate credits to graduate from college. I just took my first quiz of the semester and totally bombed it.

The thing I hate about studying languages is that they just flat-out do not stick with me. Granted, I'm not a huge studier, but even when I do, it just goes in and out; it doesn't stay with me. What the fuck do I do? Do I start studying 4 hours a night? Do I just give up? Do I make a book of flash cards? WHAT THE HELL DO I DO??

Good grief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
are you guys having a who is a bigger dweeb pissing contest
Quote:
you're saying humans were engineered by aliens to mine gold to power their ships. You aren't this fucking stupid are you???

Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Work hard, keep it up, I know you can do it.

And my final piece of advice, try not to get a partner in class whose breath smells like human feces.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Depends on your learning style - do you remember stuff from class better than stuff you study on your own?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
KrazeeStacee

The best way I found to learn Spanish was to get completely into it. Speak it, read it, write it, etc. Try to find someone you can have conversations with and ask your teacher for any good books that would be good for a beginner. When you start you have to constantly look things up and translate them, but after a while you start to understand the meaning once you see the word and it starts becoming more fluent...you start thinking in the language rather than seeing a word and translating it.

Although look at the good it did me, I can barely remember 10 words in Spanish now. You just have to keep at it, practice it like an instrument until it becomes comfortable.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
KrazeeStacee

Also I'd suggest getting interactive computer games and stuff to help you learn it. I had this cheesy kid game where you have to like solve puzzles and whatever but it really did help me.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
Shapan
Socialphobic

it really helps just talking with people who are fluent in spanish and just trying to speak with them in the language. you are forced to pick it up, you can even mix some english into it if you feel like it, but as long as you can somewhat keep up in a conversation then its easier to understand the language.

then again you need the basics, which you should just study a bit. its hard to study spanish without someone speaking it to you. its not hard to find fluent spanish speakers here in california.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

I had to learn french pretty quickly when i went an stayed there for a few months, and to help learn it a little quicker, i made sure that i learned about a particular theme, for example vocabulary to do with describing yourself. I practiced that, all the while grounding it in something i know very well. I find that if you approach a language as a whole, you learn a lot less than if you break it up into little scenarios... While you are learning it, you feel like you are biting off the tiniest bit of a spanish pie, but you will come across words and sentence structures that you recognise as you go on. Try not to flat out memorise stuff, try and see the rule behind it.

What part are you struggling with? the vocab? Grammar?
Also, if you know any spanish speaking people, get them to help in exchange for something you can do, or for free if you are a charming sea dog... Yarr.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
ammy
yer mom

i hate flash cards, they are stupid, and so cliche.

however. the last semester of spanish, i started using them, and my grades increased dramatically.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee
Also I'd suggest getting interactive computer games and stuff to help you learn it. I had this cheesy kid game where you have to like solve puzzles and whatever but it really did help me.
that's a good suggestion. another thing you might try is children's picturebooks in spanish. your local or college library might have some in their collections. the pictures help tell the story, it isn't as boring as memorizing "How much for that parakeet, Paco?"

good luck.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
obscured01
Minion of Satan

I was about to say something and then I realized how I have no business saying anything to anyone about learning foreign languages.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #11
mercurial
$ W▲ G

immersion

move to mexico

Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

go to said country

Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

reverse clock to childhood. learn language.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
peabody
Minion of Satan

IMMERSION.

I studied Spanish for 4 years, and when I was given at class of 3rd grade latino children, I simply had to speak it, and got really good at it.

I am studying Mandarin Chinese now and the only way I can practice is to go to Chinatown and just talk to people. It is embarassing, it is humbling, but it is also really really helpful.